Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'd try it. Once. Then never again, having used up an entire lifetime supply of adrenaline.

Also, wouldn't a big Harley v-twin be more appropriate for a "work" vehicle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I disabled the limiter on my Hijet and have done 45 on ancient turf tires, I assume that even with street tires that going even 70 is interesting.

I actually picked up a super rare MPH labelled speedometer from the UK, no more 25mph utility truck cluster.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Nobody wants to go 130 mph in an 82 Acty you guys

Nobody

gear it for 80 and rev it out 5 times getting there.

*light goes green*

bwaaaaaaap bwaaaaaaaaap bwaaaaaaaaap bwaaaaaaaaaaap bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap *gets passed by a UPS* truck

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Two ways to go about it, lower it and widebody or raise it and go muddin'. Both would be a blast with a bike engine. You could safely do 150 with one and Jeep drivers would be so confused hearing a bike engine on the trails with the other.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

:same:

Trying out a tire shine for the first time. I don't want anything super glossy, just a nice deep matte finish. This one was from Griot's, it's not bad.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Two ways to go about it, lower it and widebody or raise it and go muddin'. Both would be a blast with a bike engine. You could safely do 150 with one and Jeep drivers would be so confused hearing a bike engine on the trails with the other.

hoonigan built a rotary powered pit truck with a one-off rocket bunny kit

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwVWcxCBfeP/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwUibvJBePP/

called brap pit

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Powershift posted:

called brap pit

I would daily this to work.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Idk how to take car photos

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I still really like the first gen Speed3's. It is cool that you have kept the car as long as you have. How many miles/problems have you had so far?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's weird seeing that gen of 3 with all it's sheet metal still in solid form.

There aren't many modern vehicles i could see becoming collectibles, but a clean speed 3 is definitely one of them.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I'm the second owner. I bought it about 8 years ago with 11k miles and currently have a little under 91k miles.

Problems wise:

The passenger Bose speaker has blown out twice and I don't know why. The first time it was still under warranty, but this time I'm trying to decide what to replace it with. I'm thinking if I plan to keep the car for a few more years I'll also get some sort of head unit with Android auto, as well.

The passenger motor mount failed sometime maybe a year and a half ago. It was pretty easy to replace with an OEM unit but I sometimes wonder if I should've used an aftermarket mount instead.

I got the P0401(?) engine code a few years ago for a clogged or stuck EGR valve. I pulled it out and soaked it in carb cleaner and haven't had another code since that one. I figure if it ever comes back I'll delete it and finally get a Cobb AP.

Lastly I'm currently dealing with some suspension clunks. The rear end clunks going over bumps at an angle in spite of replacing g the original endlinks with some new Moog ones. I installed the JBR rear seat bar at the same time. Maybe I just need to grease up the endlinks again and they're just noisy. Idk. The rear bumpstops are also shot.

The front end also clunks and I believe that is due to shot strut tophats and bearings. As best I could tell, all of the bushings looked intact and I don't feel like I have the energy to buy a press and remove/replace all of them or spend a similar amount of money for the tool to replace all of the arms.

Either way, on my list of repairs to so are Koni SAS/FSD struts, bumpstops, bearings, and hope it refreshes the car.

All in all it has been very reliable doing very limited maintenance: oil, coolant flush and thermostat once, brakes, etc.

Edit: there are some rock chips and dents on the hood and roof line right above the windshield and the windshield is a bit pitted. I'm tempted to borrow my friend's DA buffer and buy a glass polishing kit-- and then do some sort of ceramic coat on the glass to keep it going. I've read mixed reviews about replacement non OE glass and the rain sensing wipers not working.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 7, 2019

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
I traded my 2008 in to a dealer for $5k last year and I regret it 100%. It didn't even have 70k on it, and beyond a few dings and dents was in perfect shape.

I was tired of its maintenance, which I had already solved most of, and the siren song of 500 horsepower made me stupid.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

TheFonz posted:

I traded my 2008 in to a dealer for $5k last year and I regret it 100%. It didn't even have 70k on it, and beyond a few dings and dents was in perfect shape.

I was tired of its maintenance, which I had already solved most of, and the siren song of 500 horsepower made me stupid.

Not many current cars really excited me or do I feel like I can justify the cost. I'd like to test drive a Focus RS and a 2019 Civic Type R but I hear the latter really can't be test drive , and I don't think I want to take on $40k of debt or whatever either would cost me.

I would love to import something stupid like an AZ-1 and then maybe get some sort of EV for a daily but I'm sure the Taycan will be out of my budget, my friend with a Model S has shown me how stupid a lot of Tesla's design decisions are, etc.

But also having a hobby like woodworking and doing an occasional motorcycle track day means owning my own truck would be very handy... (Based on current expected prices, the Rivian is out.)

I'm just gonna keep the MS3 for the foreseeable future.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
FWIW I test drove a Focus RS that was going for 29, less than 30k miles on it. The dealer pretended not to know about the gasket issue at all which turned me off.

Great car, felt better than the year younger STI I drove as well.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
edit wrong thread

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I deeply, deeply miss my 08.5 MS3. That was such a bonkers little car. So much cleaner looking than the second gen too.

I got thousands more for mine than they were going for locally because it wasn't sticker bombed with plastidipped green wheels and monster stickers. It was basically stock.

I'm in the NE though and rust was definitely beginning to be a concern. The body was okay but it was already looking like a horror show under the car. I sold it with 50k in 2015.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I traded my 08.0 in on a brand new 3 back in 2016. It had a fairly average respray on the roof (stone chips) and some curb damage on a wheel but was otherwise immaculate and had like 40k miles.

Definitely still regretting that one but at the time I needed a dead reliable car and I was always a little worried about the Speed3.

E. Subsequent owner modded it which is a bit of a shame.

dissss fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 8, 2019

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
gently caress, now I'm sad. I'm going to go do a burnout.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

TheFonz posted:

gently caress, now I'm sad. I'm going to go do a burnout.

Good man.

I really liked my 08.5 until it ate a cam bearing and needed a small block after 1 year and 14k miles. Mazda fixed it and I traded it on my G8, but I still miss it.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I have a second gen Mazda3 (not speed :() and drat do the first ones look better IMO. The joker smile didn't age well even though I know what it was trying to invoke. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Furai

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I miss my 08.5 Speed3 :(

I bought it with 50k miles on it and put almost 50k on it before I got rid of it for my Wrangler.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I too miss my 08.5 Speed3. It was the first car I ever bought new and I regret selling it. Took a huge bath on it selling it in 2009 after only about a year of ownership. I was scared I was going to lose my job with everything in the shitter at that point, so a car payment seemed like a bad idea. :( It was a crystal white pearl GT and it was a great and fun car for the short time I had it.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

I like the Speed3, but always wanted a Speed6 because most people have no idea what it is. Also thought it was kind of funny that spiders love them. Maybe I'll buy one someday.

Anyways, I dialed in my ride height on my MR2 to where I want it. :heysexy:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mazda assured us that the Speed6 was safe from the spider crisis!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Mazda assured us that the Speed6 was safe from the spider crisis!

Sounds like something that a human controlled by a spider host would say.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We resent that!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MasonF posted:

:fap:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

called brap pit

Build video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42u9DQmbS3I

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Wow, we go from talking about Speed3s and making me miss mine, to gorgeous AW11 photos, which thankfully I technically still own my AW11, but it's been in storage for a decade +.

More Burnouts to make me feel better.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

MasonF posted:

This car is grossly hot. What's going on with the tape measures and the aluminum panel? Is this some sort of alignment/camber trick (I have no idea what I'm doing)

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Toe measurement using the ghetto method.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Do those tires not come in the right size to fit on the rear wheels?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

MasonF posted:

Maybe I'll buy one someday.

Good luck finding one that hasn't had the emblems cut into an M or has other stupid mods and rust.

um excuse me posted:

Toe measurement using the ghetto method.

He's using toe plates, that's not ghetto at all. Just because it isn't using a fancy machine with lasers doesn't make it work less. That is one bitchin' Mister 2.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea it works, it's just not the current best practice, which is a laser system. Dont get me wrong, I've done it between laser alignments.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

TheFonz posted:

Wow, we go from talking about Speed3s and making me miss mine, to gorgeous AW11 photos, which thankfully I technically still own my AW11, but it's been in storage for a decade +.

More Burnouts to make me feel better.

I think I'm the only person in AI to have owned a MS3, loved it, sold it, and don't miss it.

I do want another quick car now, though.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
I miss it in the sense of I would love it as a second car that I would not care if I blew up due to upping boost. I do not miss it at all as my only car.

It always felt like it was right on the edge of another big thing breaking.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:same: especially at 125k miles. I feel bad for whoever paid 10k+ for mine at a dealer because they probably got to throw a bunch of bushings and an A/C system at it right away.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

MasonF posted:

I like the Speed3, but always wanted a Speed6 because most people have no idea what it is. Also thought it was kind of funny that spiders love them. Maybe I'll buy one someday.

Your Mister is very cool.

I enjoyed the MS6, having experienced every flavor of Mazda6. White was the color I would have preferred but Velocity Red Mica is one of the best colors in full sun I have ever seen.

Mine was a "Sport" so it had the cloth buckets that were wildly comfortable and had such great bolstering for my size. Far better seats than my 2005 6S Grand Sport leather.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

IOwnCalculus posted:

:same: especially at 125k miles. I feel bad for whoever paid 10k+ for mine at a dealer because they probably got to throw a bunch of bushings and an A/C system at it right away.

Yupppppppp.

The real issue is ONLY having a big loving car, my desire for a MX-5/FT-86/GTI/Civic has now gone through the roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I enjoyed the MS6, having experienced every flavor of Mazda6. White was the color I would have preferred but Velocity Red Mica is one of the best colors in full sun I have ever seen.

Yessssss. If the dealership had been sane at all on negotiations, I would have bought a new '04 Velocity Red MSM in late '05. The dealer still had over a dozen of the loving things new, unsold, next to NCs.

TheFonz posted:

Yupppppppp.

The real issue is ONLY having a big loving car, my desire for a MX-5/FT-86/GTI/Civic has now gone through the roof.

"The Wrangler isn't even that big", I tell myself as I look through Craigslist yet again.