Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yo this dude's running around in a diaper how do I get that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

soy posted:

Ya it's hilarious when a pro player is playing because they are literally like a champion from a historical war movie. They look unique and badass and just loving slay the poo poo out of everyone.

I would honestly pay money to see two pro teams 24v24 going at it.
I am not very good at feinting and only better than average but I humbly submit I felt like I was that champion last night. I wish I had a video, I will record my next play session in hopes of somehow recreating either of these miracles.

I was playing that map with the open field and siege camps as red and ended up alone in front of the blue spawn and, without leaving, got eleven solo kills in a row without any pause in between as people came out of the gate one, two or three at a time, joined the battle, died, only for more to exit, join the melee and also die. I was in heavy armor with a waraxe and using bloodrush.

About an hour later I was on Mountain Peak on red as we pushed into the blue spawn and I uh, pushed a bit ahead of everyone else. Surrounded, I got six kills in a row with six swings of the axe with no pause between and felt like a character from some Nordic saga.

Most people are terrible about getting behind you in groups and the war axe lets you parry pretty late in the swing, you can also drag the swing in to get it to land very quickly. People swing far too wildly when they out number you, leaving they or their allies open for ripostes as you wildly charge in close and constantly swing at everything like a raged beserker. More opponents are not a danger, they are a debuff to movement and an attack penalty bonus on the other team AND walking health potions all rolled into one. If people were just a LITTLE more cautious and more careful in many-v-1 fights this ridiculous tactic would not work at all as they all pause for a moment, circle around and stab you from two directions, thank goodness most people do not do this!

Ravenfood posted:

I ended up making someone with the long spear and medium armor everywhere and just following someone around and landing stab attacks was still a lot of fun. I parry way too early and keep getting dumpstered by anyone decent, but its still fun!

e: Well, except for chat which is predictably full of racist transphobes, but :sigh:
May I suggest you try the halberd? I like playing the longspear exactly like that too. The halberd in alternate mode is a little shorter but can do a lot more damage.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 7, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I know this is probably "ha ha you fuckin noob git gud" to you guys, but I *am* getting better

now to learn how to not die stupidly whenever someone looks at me the wrong way... :downs:

Edit: I stil maintain that some level gating would be appropriate, at least on a voluntary basis. Give us at least some servers divided by level ranges so I can play with other level 1-10 noobs... I know that getting ganked by level 30 guys is part of the learning process, but I'd like to decide when to start going against the big guys :v:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 7, 2019

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

duel servers, it sucks to get owned over and over and in my experience people are way more chill in duel servers than not. I know I personally am super chatty and always giving people advice when they ask how to do something or about certain weapons. And if it ever gets too much and you need a break 100% of the time there's dudes running around playing the lute and fighting each other with boxing builds. Populated duel servers are the best.

It won't teach you how to stop pushing ahead of your group or demonstrate how to defend yourself from multiple attackers, but it will show you how to defend yourself and tie up a single good person or two lovely people for long enough that your team can back you up. My Frontline game has benefited immensely from learning how to fight halberds and spears and shield dudes.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 7, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Ravenfood posted:

e: Well, except for chat which is predictably full of racist transphobes, but :sigh:

Hey we don't need this sort of histrionics in this thread. Just play the game !!!!!!!

Yeah the community is really full of awful chuds.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

duel servers, it sucks to get owned over and over and in my experience people are way more chill in duel servers than not. I know I personally am super chatty and always giving people advice when they ask how to do something or about certain weapons. And if it ever gets too much and you need a break 100% of the time there's dudes running around playing the lute and fighting each other with boxing builds. Populated duel servers are the best.

It won't teach you how to stop pushing ahead of your group or demonstrate how to defend yourself from multiple attackers, but it will show you how to defend yourself and tie up a single good person or two lovely people for long enough that your team can back you up. My Frontline game has benefited immensely from learning how to fight halberds and spears and shield dudes.
I cannot agree strongly enough with this. I only go to practice new weapons or styles but playing on duel servers is how I really learned how to hold off one or two people, which if you can do so will most of the time be enough for a team mate to help you on frontline.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if u got a disagreement itt settle it on the field of honor like men, instead of with forum posts like goons

Man we need a server. Even a small duel/skirmish server lol. Speaking of Skirmish, if you want to harvest tears, just go on a Skirmish server and play normally. There's always one weenie who blows a gasket when you won't 1v1 him 5 times at the end of the match and drag everything out.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

Hey we don't need this sort of histrionics in this thread. Just play the game !!!!!!!

Yeah the community is really full of awful chuds.

Like somebody mentioned before, Vikings and knights feature pretty heavily prominently in white supremacist poo poo, so it does unfortunately follow that you run into a lot of them. I do see people push back at them fairly often, although I wish their discord mods were more ban happy about that poo poo. The official Discord will turn to fights centered around that until people get bored of it then it's back to whining about archers and spears. I should probably just stop looking at that Discord.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Babe Magnet posted:

if u got a disagreement itt settle it on the field of honor like men, instead of with forum posts like goons

Man we need a server. Even a small duel/skirmish server lol. Speaking of Skirmish, if you want to harvest tears, just go on a Skirmish server and play normally. There's always one weenie who blows a gasket when you won't 1v1 him 5 times at the end of the match and drag everything out.

I was just about to ask if someone was up for making a goon training server or something like that, if that's even possible. I would be fully down with it

Btw, how's battle Royale? It is the one type of match I haven't tried

Edit: look how bad I am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izp9cD6OAA4

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 7, 2019

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

After three days with the Eveningstar, I think I've got the hang of it. I'm usually near the top of the scoreboard now. The directional aiming still feels a little finicky to me, but I'm getting there.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

streaming duel mode shenanigans for a little bit

https://www.twitch.tv/unsubredun/

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Phlegmish posted:

After three days with the Eveningstar, I think I've got the hang of it. I'm usually near the top of the scoreboard now. The directional aiming still feels a little finicky to me, but I'm getting there.

Eveningstar is really a great weapon and I highly recommend it. Also, a goon duel server would be very cool.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Like somebody mentioned before, Vikings and knights feature pretty heavily prominently in white supremacist poo poo, so it does unfortunately follow that you run into a lot of them. I do see people push back at them fairly often, although I wish their discord mods were more ban happy about that poo poo. The official Discord will turn to fights centered around that until people get bored of it then it's back to whining about archers and spears. I should probably just stop looking at that Discord.

unfortunately because gamers are want to rise up that's a fast ticket to get review bombed into the grave, so...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

Eveningstar is really a great weapon and I highly recommend it. Also, a goon duel server would be very cool.

I like it a lot, because it's good but not a lot of other people use it. So satisfying when it connects, too.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Phlegmish posted:

I like it a lot, because it's good but not a lot of other people use it. So satisfying when it connects, too.

Yes my dude. Exploding someone's head with it is outrageously fun and also you can couch it like a Lance on horseback.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
Does the lute actually do anything for your team?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It's dulcet tones fill me with him and verve.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell
It pisses them off if they're taking the game real serious

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Chaitai posted:

Does the lute actually do anything for your team?
It gives your team a +5 Morale Modifier within 50 feet.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TorakFade posted:

I know this is probably "ha ha you fuckin noob git gud" to you guys, but I *am* getting better

now to learn how to not die stupidly whenever someone looks at me the wrong way... :downs:

Edit: I stil maintain that some level gating would be appropriate, at least on a voluntary basis. Give us at least some servers divided by level ranges so I can play with other level 1-10 noobs... I know that getting ganked by level 30 guys is part of the learning process, but I'd like to decide when to start going against the big guys :v:

Middle of the board in this game is not bad.

Sometimes I will be dead rear end trying my hardest and be last on the board. I have about 20 hours in the game so far too and generally know what works but sometimes you just have a really bad or good round.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I swear I'm the most inconsistent player in this game. I'll do okay one match, then the map changes and I just run face first into halberd swings for 15 minutes, then suddenly the stars shift and I carve through a dozen people like an avatar of death.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nordick posted:

I swear I'm the most inconsistent player in this game. I'll do okay one match, then the map changes and I just run face first into halberd swings for 15 minutes, then suddenly the stars shift and I carve through a dozen people like an avatar of death.

With me it's like I have to get into the groove every match. I start out sucking, and by the time the map is over I've managed to claw my way to the upper regions of the scoreboard. Those 1000+ hours in Chiv have to count for something.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

quote:

Goals further down the line would be to release Modding Tools, as a lot of you seem to be very eager to create some custom content.

This can't happen soon enough. GoT/LotR workshop items would make this game perfect.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
IS there somewhere that actually shows how to play the lute? I.E. what keys produce what notes/chords

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Question time - how have you all set up your sensitivity and mouse DPI ? I currently have in-game sensitivity set as 0.5 on both X and Y axis, and am trying 1500/1000/600 DPI (my mouse can switch on the fly between 5 different DPI settings that I can fully customize)

In all three modes, it seems I always jerk my mouse too fast when under pressure (adrenalin makes my hands shake, drat nerves) and I miss easy stabs/overheads and even parries because of this, but I'm kinda scared of dropping sensitivity or DPI even more because I won't be able to quickly do a 360° to face an enemy flanking me or drag/accel my strikes... :saddowns:

(this is on a 1440p 32" monitor if that changes things, very low DPI like 500 in windows means it takes FOREVER to move the cursor from one side of the screen to the other, but in terms of Mordhau's viewpoint it still seems pretty quick)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 7, 2019

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Squeezy Farm posted:

This can't happen soon enough. GoT/LotR workshop items would make this game perfect.

gently caress that poo poo we Jedi Academy 3 up in here

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man, I tried the Bill for a while and I want to like it, but they really did it dirty. The drat thing actually does less swing damage than the bastard sword.:psyduck: It's reasonably decent at thrusting, but as it stands it's basically a mild upgrade to the Short Spear at best. Arguably not even that, seeing how it's slower, two-handed, and its secondary mode is entirely useless. Back to the Poleaxe for my medium-weight polearm needs.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Ristolaz posted:

IS there somewhere that actually shows how to play the lute? I.E. what keys produce what notes/chords

As far as I'm aware it's just attack and kick.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Perestroika posted:

Man, I tried the Bill for a while and I want to like it, but they really did it dirty. The drat thing actually does less swing damage than the bastard sword.:psyduck: It's reasonably decent at thrusting, but as it stands it's basically a mild upgrade to the Short Spear at best. Arguably not even that, seeing how it's slower, two-handed, and its secondary mode is entirely useless. Back to the Poleaxe for my medium-weight polearm needs.

A friend IRL swears by the billhook but I felt the same way as you tbh. He said it has perfect reach.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

A friend IRL swears by the billhook but I felt the same way as you tbh. He said it has perfect reach.

The billhook is my favorite weapon so far and the one I use the most, but I'm not going to pretend it's better than any of the other polearms. The only reason I love it is because it is a cavalry killer. Almost all my damage with it comes from thrusts, and I mainly use the swing attacks in morphs.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Iirc I read somewhere that, contrary to all other weapons and especially polearms, the billhook will pull the target in rather than knock him away. If true, that is not ideal, it being a slow and fairly long reaching weapon, but that would make it great for team play (pull the enemy closer into the waiting daggers and maces of your buddies) or various shenanigans

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

TorakFade posted:

Iirc I read somewhere that, contrary to all other weapons and especially polearms, the billhook will pull the target in rather than knock him away. If true, that is not ideal, it being a slow and fairly long reaching weapon, but that would make it great for team play (pull the enemy closer into the waiting daggers and maces of your buddies) or various shenanigans

In primary mode the thrust pushes back and the swings pull in, in alt mode the thrust pulls in and the swings push back. I hope I have that right, despite using it all the drat time, I hardly ever notice the pull in mechanic because primary mode thrust is what I do the majority of my killing with.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

TorakFade posted:

Question time - how have you all set up your sensitivity and mouse DPI ? I currently have in-game sensitivity set as 0.5 on both X and Y axis, and am trying 1500/1000/600 DPI (my mouse can switch on the fly between 5 different DPI settings that I can fully customize)

In all three modes, it seems I always jerk my mouse too fast when under pressure (adrenalin makes my hands shake, drat nerves) and I miss easy stabs/overheads and even parries because of this, but I'm kinda scared of dropping sensitivity or DPI even more because I won't be able to quickly do a 360° to face an enemy flanking me or drag/accel my strikes... :saddowns:

(this is on a 1440p 32" monitor if that changes things, very low DPI like 500 in windows means it takes FOREVER to move the cursor from one side of the screen to the other, but in terms of Mordhau's viewpoint it still seems pretty quick)
I think just 2 different dpis for precision aiming and then melee is good enough.

Your melee effective sensitivity should be high enough to let you very easily 180 constantly for situational awareness with very little effort and then let you still start meleeing or blocking a target behind you without having to pick up your mouse to recenter it. The melee sensitivity should be low enough that you will be in the general vicinity of the intended target. The hitboxes feel pretty generous in this game so you don't really need it that low. Drags and accels are so important to the game that you want a pretty high sens.

I do ~0.15 in-game UI sensitivity w/ 400 DPI for precision aiming w/ ranged weapons. I hold down a button (called toggle dpi shift for logitech mice) which jacks up the DPI to 9x at 3600 DPI for everything else. When I release the button it goes back down to the low sensitivity.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Executioner's Sword should be illegal and also it's my new favorite toy. Killing two people at once with that huge fuckoff swing is so loving satisfying.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
weenies running around with shield+rapier and stabbing endlessly are so loving annoying. the stab on that thing only has like half a second windup or something

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I love the billhook personally. Keeping people away is relatively easy as a lot of people don't protect their legs from stabs and swings. Also pull people off horses with it is always fun.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Bardeh posted:

weenies running around with shield+rapier and stabbing endlessly are so loving annoying. the stab on that thing only has like half a second windup or something
If you are using a two handed weapon, block once then back peddle to wear out their stamina using your longer range. When they are out of stamina your next hit will disarm them then chip them in half. If you are alone this will work. If you are in a group, your team mate will finish them off while you just parry them.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 8, 2019

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah whenever you see a shield, your priority should be to wear their stamina out and stay out of their small reach

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I would financially contribute to a goon server if it's kept clear of chuds, bigots and all those "fun" white supremacists. I will give extra if the server hosting tools give us some means of punishing/humiliating the assholes before we ban them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Bardeh posted:

Rapier has lovely swings so you can try to chamber stabs which helps deal with fake-stabs.

Tier 2 helm lets you tank at least 3 rapier hits and tier 3 body lets you tank 4 rapier torso hits.