Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/06/health/sunscreen-bloodstream-fda-study/index.html

quote:

"It's not news that things that you put on your skin are absorbed into the body," Faber said. "This study is the FDA's way of showing sunscreen manufacturers they need to do the studies to see if chemical absorption poses health risks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

I am amazed that works as well as it does... but why are doing this?

dude says he wants to bring humanity more in harmony with nature by using an AR app to turn cars into birds, roads into mountain trails, and so on

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Entorwellian posted:

Holy poo poo. A real life ad-blocker. This is the first tech-innovation in a long time that would actually bring quality-of-life improvements to society.

The masochistic part of me is sad that Google glass flopped because people rootkitting their glasses so they can out in an ad blocker for all the ar popups sounds like primo thread content

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i thought it was more battery life, processing power, and the fact that they were stoking violent class resentment

phones can hide in your pocket, but a massive class signifier that you wear perpetually on the part of your body most looked at turned out to create resentment

plus, no one wants a camera blatantly pointed at them all the time without being able to consent

and they looked dumb as hell

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

doesn't neural net stuff make animals look like eldritch blasphemies, covered in eyes that pop in and out of existence?

just make a cosmic terror nightmare vision app, more fun and probably easier

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

RaySmuckles posted:

i thought it was more battery life, processing power, and the fact that they were stoking violent class resentment

phones can hide in your pocket, but a massive class signifier that you wear perpetually on the part of your body most looked at turned out to create resentment

plus, no one wants a camera blatantly pointed at them all the time without being able to consent

Yeah i mean it sucking makes me sad because I can never read about some massive traffic accident caused by a targeted ad smothering a traffic light :(

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Feranon posted:

doesn't neural net stuff make animals look like eldritch blasphemies, covered in eyes that pop in and out of existence?

just make a cosmic terror nightmare vision app, more fun and probably easier

Already exists it's called a mirror.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Agean90 posted:

Yeah i mean it sucking makes me sad because I can never read about some massive traffic accident caused by a targeted ad smothering a traffic light :(

i like to believe that someday you'll still get a chance to see that, friend

whether its huds on windshields or a second attempt at the glasses down the road

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

RaySmuckles posted:

who was the tech “journo” who posted the pic of himself wearing google glasses in the shower

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

net work error posted:

Already exists it's called a mirror.

turn.... off my monitor?!?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/broderick/status/1125806938267299842

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

RaySmuckles posted:

the mountain view farmers market was completely filled with people wearing them it was fuckin hilarious

*records video of buying $6 apple*

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

neural net doo doo doo doo doo doo

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

so their market is straight edge people who are so self conscious about being straight edge that they want to hide it?

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
isn't "drinking water" literally the opposite of liquid death unless you're downing like three gallons at once

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Depends on just what kind of mountain it comes from.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/1/4/16846048/raw-water-trend-silicon-valley

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Water: The Thirst Mutilator

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

so their market is straight edge people who are so self conscious about being straight edge that they want to hide it?

I have never met anyone who identifies as straight edge that doesn't make sure you know that they're straight edge. I've also never met a straight edger since I turned 21.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

People are going to buy this thinking it's an energy drink and it will be really funny

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Phone posted:

who was the tech “journo” who posted the pic of himself wearing google glasses in the shower

Robert Scoble

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

hoo boy some marketing person finally figured out how to get mega paid off millennials' yearning for swift death

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Agean90 posted:

The masochistic part of me is sad that Google glass flopped because people rootkitting their glasses so they can out in an ad blocker for all the ar popups sounds like primo thread content

can’t believe this is the first time i’ve heard this floated. i want this.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nothus posted:

Water: The Thirst Mutilator

its literally got what plants crave

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Gum posted:

People are going to buy this thinking it's an energy drink and it will be really funny

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gum posted:

and they will swear up and down that it helps them focus and gives them microdosing-like creativity boosts

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

you mean like from the toilet?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
making GBS threads out your insides to own the libs

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/finance/doconomy-mastercard-climate-change-carbon-limit-credit-card

this is definitely a workable solution to the excesses of capitalism and not a blatantly worthless move that exists solely to get brownie points from "responsibility" liberals w/ no critical thinking skills

quote:

Currently, your card of choice will cut you off when you’ve reached a monetary limit. Now, Swedish fintech company Doconomy is taking that model and applying it to pollution; its new credit card DO Black will cut you off when you’ve reached your CO2 emissions for the year...

Despite being a radical idea for the average consumer, Doconomy is partnering with both Mastercard and the UN Climate Change Secretariat to create DO Black. And for those less willing to have their finances cut off entirely, another card will be available that simply tracks the user’s carbon footprint instead of capping it.

lol

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Lmao, carbon footprint capped at one fastfood purchase and 1/10th one gasoline purchase per month.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So if you're a normal person who drives too much your credit card gets shut off and if you're a business you get a sternly worded letter

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Subjunctive posted:

Robert Scoble

less of a sex pest than leo laporte, but still a sex pest

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Phone posted:

less of a sex pest than leo laporte, but still a sex pest

helpfully open about his addiction recovery, though

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Wait Tech TV Leo Laporte was a sex pest?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

net work error posted:

Wait Tech TV Leo Laporte was a sex pest?

lmao you have no idea lol

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
it's true i have no idea, so please elaborate :(

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Oh, wow. I used to watch tech TV waaaaay back when The Screen Savers was on. I even caught his weird Dev Null mocap character before that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
https://leolaportesucks.com

weird flex but ok

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the ones I know about are leaving his screen up while he sexted his producer while still being married and then serial harassment of female colleagues/guests/underlings; really inappropriate comments about their bodies or what they were wearing, can’t remember if he was also into al frankenesque pantomiming

this is an aside from him being a dunce, eg: promoting steve gibson and his snake oil

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Preface: not trying to defend this guy, I watched him forever ago on tv, but didn’t even know he was still alive or doing any sort of show.

But, that website just reads as the rantings of a crazy person. The only accusations I see on the page are that he eats too much and married a gold digger. What did he actually do that makes him a sexual harasser? I am on board with hating him if he deserves it, I just can’t figure out from that page what the actual allegations are.

Edit: ^^thanks! That is more clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
John Oliver did a good piece on online shaming and an interview with Monica Lewinsky.

I'm convinced you could fill the government positions with left leaning comedians and make the world a less functional but better place. At least sotu speeches would be coherent.