Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Phigs posted:

I don't know what you're talking about. I farm Manics for fun.

Not pictured: 11 Ash Neuroptics Blueprints and 5 Ash Chassis Blueprints I sold so I didn't have to look at them.

If only they were tradeable, I do a lot of Kuva Survival. I don't have the Smoky Ephemera yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

endlessmonotony posted:

Twenty minutes, give or take. Actually easier soloing with Trinity, but just oh-so-goddamn tedious.
That's kinda absurd. I ran a few goon group defections with a 2+2 (split with 1 healer+1 aoe killframe pairs) setup where the first 8 squads took us 9 minutes, and the next 8 took us 5-6 minutes (because there's always B and C squads going on). I think it was a low level T2 infested node, so you probably could even append a third 8 squad rotation without breaking much of a sweat.

It was kinda fun, actually. v:shobon:v

Like, it's not a 120 second capture mission of course, but it's still faster than a single 10 wave defense alert used to take, and faster than even the quickest infsalv ROT C run.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 7, 2019

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I think I'm just going to buy Khora at some point if the next few NSOs leave me hanging. I play NSO once in a blue moon and I can't help but focus on getting the Khora BP because it is literally the only part I am missing and it's getting frustrating. Plus, I don't like how much cat juice she takes to make, farming kitties in the Derelict is not my idea of fun and Nightwave hasn't given me the option to buy cat juice (yet?)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ritznit posted:

I think I'm just going to buy Khora at some point if the next few NSOs leave me hanging. I play NSO once in a blue moon and I can't help but focus on getting the Khora BP because it is literally the only part I am missing and it's getting frustrating. Plus, I don't like how much cat juice she takes to make, farming kitties in the Derelict is not my idea of fun and Nightwave hasn't given me the option to buy cat juice (yet?)

never yet, they increased the rate for scans instead

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

njsykora posted:

Kreska is a machete. It does not break the trend of all machetes being terrible.

and every time i have to bring up that cyclone kraken makes machetes some of the best melee in the game because people never seem to get this

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

vay hek's no more difficult than any other low level boss. you can skip the first couple phases by simply running past him, then delete him in the last room.

Vay Hek is like level 35 when most of the early bosses at level 10 and he's accessible much earlier than any other level 35 content, he's like the most awful newbie-destroying boss in the game.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Goa Tse-tung posted:

never yet, they increased the rate for scans instead

I meant specifically as a replacement for the rare but always welcome cat juice alerts we used to get. Nightwave has no replacement for that so far.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Johnny Joestar posted:

and every time i have to bring up that cyclone kraken makes machetes some of the best melee in the game because people never seem to get this

Cyclone Kraken is so interesting to me because it proves that stance design is honestly as important as the weapons themselves

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

When Nightwave came in DE specifically said they increased cat scan rate as compensation for losing the alerts. They weren't planning to ever add it to Nightwave.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Vay Hek is like level 35 when most of the early bosses at level 10 and he's accessible much earlier than any other level 35 content, he's like the most awful newbie-destroying boss in the game.

Yeah my memory of him is from when I fought him as a newbie and it was real rough and took forever (didn't know you could skip the earlier phases). Knowing the skip I guess he won't be too bad and I can just clown on him now.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Johnny Joestar posted:

Wukong + Cyclone Machete?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ritznit posted:

I meant specifically as a replacement for the rare but always welcome cat juice alerts we used to get. Nightwave has no replacement for that so far.
The community will never again be able to witness such beautiful wordplay as 'cat cum on uranus for the next ten minutes.'

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I really like the Kreska. It looks awesome and Cyclone Kraken is a super fun stance and I'd probably use it even if the weapon sucked.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Phigs posted:

When Nightwave came in DE specifically said they increased cat scan rate as compensation for losing the alerts. They weren't planning to ever add it to Nightwave.

e: beaten

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
That's sad but makes sense. :( Thank you. I still dislike scanning cats, sadly.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
This came up in alliance chat last night.

1.) Get a Heliocor.
2.) Smack cat with Heliocor.
3.) Grofit.

That or run a Vauban and give 'em the ol' Bastille.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Yeah Heliocor improves the scanning process itself, I mean more the "run around in a lovely, confusing tileset to maybe find a cat" aspect of it.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Nezha's spikes will hold them still (but the green scanner overlay will be in the wrong place). I mostly say this as I used Nezha for solo vault runs, so you can just keep an eye out for kavats while doing those.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
what's the helicor and is it tradeable? I really hate doing synthesis hunts and half the time it's a nightmare...since i keep dying when a bunch of enemies gang up on me...and no, adding range on excal does not help me one bit.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Heliocor is the melee weapon that scans stuff when you kill it. Its tradeable.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
But it doesn't work at all for synthesis targets.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Heliocor is the melee weapon that scans stuff when you kill it. Its tradeable.

THANK RNGESUS! well in that case i'll ask around for it.

endlessmonotony posted:

But it doesn't work at all for synthesis targets.

that's okay i guess. i just wanna scan more normal enemies to tryout my builds on.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
There's a Synoid Heliocor from Suda which is tradable (and I thiiink it still scans?) but the Simaris one is not tradable.

If you are hunting a synth target, then you'll want something to make you tough or invisible. Radial Blind... might not cut it depnding on your mod loadout. Obviously it's easier if you are tough enough to just facetank low level enemies regardless, but that's a different matter. Rhino or Nezha are clearly handy here for both toughness and CC. Also, kind of obviously, buy and use the Kinetic Siphon Traps to hold the target still.

In case people haven't pointed out yet, armour only affects Health, so while shields seem nice at first, boosting your shields scales really badly. And Team Health Restores are cheap enough to make and hotkeyable.

EDIT : And and, there's a Steam Guide of where spawns various targets. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=666483447

And and and, you can just scan enemies with the Sim scanner for rep up to your daily limit if you don't want to do his tasks but obviously this is generally slower unless you are stealth scanning high end grineer.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Ritznit posted:

That's sad but makes sense. :( Thank you. I still dislike scanning cats, sadly.
I thought i didn't either

but before nightwave/kitty jeans drop rate i cought like 2 cat alerts total and had to farm up my first smeeta in dozens of hours over the course of weeks and was sitting on 4-6 in my inventory. It was painfully slow and cat alerts happened about once ever 2 months.

and then after the drop rate change i got a login resource doubler, grouped with someone who was running chance booster, used a sleepinox+upgraded simaris scanner while running with my OG smeeta and basically grabbed 5-10 for a single 8 minute vault hunt (and twice that when i did it during the resource doubler weekend). You don't even have to kill any cats in the process, unless you're a disgusting inhuman monster.

I stopped at a round number after only an hour or two, and now i'm sitting on 100+ genes i don't quite know what to do with - build my 4 unbuilt khora sets? wait until the new kavat breeds are released (roughly 2025)? Try to find a glitch that lets me stick them into an incubator with a kubrow imprint (again)?

Long story short, getting cat genes has become so much easier, which is good, because everyone should have a kitty as soon as possible.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tylana posted:

There's a Synoid Heliocor from Suda which is tradable (and I thiiink it still scans?) but the Simaris one is not tradable.

If you are hunting a synth target, then you'll want something to make you tough or invisible. Radial Blind... might not cut it depnding on your mod loadout. Obviously it's easier if you are tough enough to just facetank low level enemies regardless, but that's a different matter. Rhino or Nezha are clearly handy here for both toughness and CC. Also, kind of obviously, buy and use the Kinetic Siphon Traps to hold the target still.

In case people haven't pointed out yet, armour only affects Health, so while shields seem nice at first, boosting your shields scales really badly. And Team Health Restores are cheap enough to make and hotkeyable.

EDIT : And and, there's a Steam Guide of where spawns various targets. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=666483447

And and and, you can just scan enemies with the Sim scanner for rep up to your daily limit if you don't want to do his tasks but obviously this is generally slower unless you are stealth scanning high end grineer.

How is the Simaris one not tradeable? Ugh.

Anyways, the pro move is using the sentinel with the innate ability to scan and let him do his thing while you fashion frame through a mission.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Fruity20 posted:

that's okay i guess. i just wanna scan more normal enemies to tryout my builds on.

As Jobbo_Fett says, go to the dojo research stations and buy a blueprint for Helios, the sentinel companion who uses Codex Scanners for you. Never have to scan enemies or objects for your codex again. (He'll only scan targets you haven't maxed out your codex entry on, so he's bad at space cats, plant gathering, and synthesis, but two of those three are stuff that you don't really need to be worrying about if you're still using your first-day Excalibur.)

If you can't afford the construction cost, save up 30k, get a goon to taxi you to the Index, and just play keepaway and stay alive while they carry you through the match. Fast credits.

As for synthesis, it gets pretty easy after you rank up a tanky frame. You can assemble Rhino, the beginner-friendly supertank, from the boss of Venus. Put armor and intensity mods on him and use his Iron Skin ability. You still generally want to clear most of a crowd out before chasing the synthesis target, but the target has bonus health so it's hard to accidentally kill it.

Note that one of Simaris's items for sale is a module that gives you infinite synthesis scanners. Handy.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
EDIT : Ignore, was crossing wires.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I did the new strange quest today (quest that introduces synthesis scanning) and eeeehhh that is a mechanic I do not like

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

el dingo posted:

I did the new strange quest today (quest that introduces synthesis scanning) and eeeehhh that is a mechanic I do not like

Good news! You basically only need to do it when you're trying to get stuff from Simaris' shop (get the infinite scanners and double scans widgets) and more importantly you unlocked the best places to level gear. Simaris dailies are a good early source of endo though, and there's some tasty lore in the personal scan projects.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I just scan cats while doing vault runs on rhino. You can stomp the whole spawn of them and scan them before the stomp runs out if you've got any duration at all. And having the extinguished key on makes it harder to kill them on accident.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

I just scan cats while doing vault runs on rhino. You can stomp the whole spawn of them and scan them before the stomp runs out if you've got any duration at all. And having the extinguished key on makes it harder to kill them on accident.

Ditto this. Even with enough strength to get a good iron skin, the cats just get a thump and are stunned long enough to make scanning them a doddle.

Add an Arca Plasmor to take out a capture target, and you've got my standard vault run routine.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i am bad at math but yesterday i saw someone say that based on the damage formula, in an ideal situation your generic +damage should be roughly equal to your +elemental damage. because i have an absolutely massive +damage roll on my jaw sword riven i swapped out the augment and spoiled strike for a 60/60 and another 90 and my whipclaw damage did seem to go up quite a bit.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

I Am Just a Box posted:

Note that one of Simaris's items for sale is a module that gives you infinite synthesis scanners. Handy.

WAT???

Ugh, I'm such a fuckin' dummy :negative:

QuantumButler
Feb 23, 2008

Bogus Adventure posted:

WAT???

Ugh, I'm such a fuckin' dummy :negative:

I think it is 50k simaris rep? The Sol Battery Widget

This should be your priority #1 buy from Simaris.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

I Am Just a Box posted:

As Jobbo_Fett says, go to the dojo research stations and buy a blueprint for Helios, the sentinel companion who uses Codex Scanners for you. Never have to scan enemies or objects for your codex again. (He'll only scan targets you haven't maxed out your codex entry on, so he's bad at space cats, plant gathering, and synthesis, but two of those three are stuff that you don't really need to be worrying about if you're still using your first-day Excalibur.)

If you can't afford the construction cost, save up 30k, get a goon to taxi you to the Index, and just play keepaway and stay alive while they carry you through the match. Fast credits.

As for synthesis, it gets pretty easy after you rank up a tanky frame. You can assemble Rhino, the beginner-friendly supertank, from the boss of Venus. Put armor and intensity mods on him and use his Iron Skin ability. You still generally want to clear most of a crowd out before chasing the synthesis target, but the target has bonus health so it's hard to accidentally kill it.

i already have helios..just ran out of scans...

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Fruity20 posted:

i already have helios..just ran out of scans...

Then the Heliocor isn't any better, because like Helios, it eats Codex Scanners.

Just buy more for credits from the gear equip menu. I buy them by the hundreds. They're cheap.

Edit: Wait, can Helios use the Synthesis Scanner? Does the Sol-Battery Widget still work? I'm a fool! But not as much of a fool as when I didn't Run the Index.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 7, 2019

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Helios can use the synthesis scanner and it does work with infinite scans, though it cannot scan the unique synthesis targets you can trap that have multiple scan points. It'll scan poo poo you haven't capped the scans on, but not stuff you have capped which can be a pain for getting the plant materials and poo poo for certain ephemera a pain.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Also with regard to the cap on scans - Helios won’t scan Kavats once you have their codex entry completed, I think. I ended up losing out on a bunch of scans during the Inaros quest because I didn’t realize this at the time.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

QuantumButler posted:

I think it is 50k simaris rep? The Sol Battery Widget

This should be your priority #1 buy from Simaris.

Awesome, this is my new priority in-game.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

You can use the charged shot from ballistica prime to create kavat ghosts and scan those too for double cat DNA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sepia
Apr 15, 2005
bleach then tone

clone on the phone posted:

You can use the charged shot from ballistica prime to create kavat ghosts and scan those too for double cat DNA.

poo poo like this just makes me love this game