Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

Disposable single-use chargers that are actually just lithium-ion batteries without recharging circuitry have been around for a few years now but I think this is the first time I've seen an article that was for them instead of calling them out for being hilariously wasteful.

BigClive has done a couple videos on them if you want to see the guts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5korWqCcsHE

There exist 3.7V primary lithium cells despite his statement to the contrary. He also says 4.2V is a bad voltage for a charger to read open circuit, but thats a pretty standard "float" voltage for a lithium charger. It should be lower during the constant current region of charge time, but open circuit it should read 4.2ish. https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

That said I suspect those are secondary cells due to apperance. Since its so cheap I hope those are secondary cells that failed QC and would otherwise be scrapped.

Some airports have vending machines for a product called "fuel rods" that are the reasonable version of this. Get the battery at one airport, drop it in the vending machine at the next or when you return home. The machine charges it and its ready for the next customer to buy. https://fuel-rod.com/

hobbesmaster has issued a correction as of 16:55 on May 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

There exist 3.7V primary lithium cells despite his statement to the contrary.

I'll have to watch it again because I don't remember him saying there weren't any but maybe I missed it

hobbesmaster posted:

He also says 4.2V is a bad voltage for a charger to read open circuit, but thats a pretty standard "float" voltage for a lithium charger. It should be lower during the constant current region of charge time, but open circuit it should read 4.2ish. https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

I thought he said it was like, 4.5 which was "naughty", he's definitely said 4.2 is completely fine in plenty of other videos so maybe he just misspoke if true :shrug:

e: ok I watched it again now that I had the chance, he said it's 4.27 which is the "naughty" voltage, which is definitely a biit high

hobbesmaster posted:

That said I suspect those are secondary cells due to apperance. Since its so cheap I hope those are secondary cells that failed QC and would otherwise be scrapped.

They're definitely rechargeable lithium ion batteries because he's recharged them in another video :v:

e: Actually he says he tried charging them in this video too, nevermind!

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 17:34 on May 7, 2019

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/BuschBeer/status/1125762467760627712

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Skrrrrt skrrrt?? I'm olllllldddddd

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

So boomers designed a car they think will make Millennials want to watch cars drive in a circle and/or drink garbage mass produced beer?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Funny thing is: whoever did that was probably born in the 80s.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Iron Crowned posted:

So boomers designed a car they think will make Millennials want to watch cars drive in a circle and/or drink garbage mass produced beer?

no it's making fun of millenials because ?

edit: the premise is that their driver is an older dude and they bet he would win the championship. when he didn't their pay on the bet was they had to make a car honoring millenials and this is their tongue in cheek payout.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Peanut President posted:

no it's making fun of millenials because ?

Going by the video they solicited ideas from twitter so this is just twitter shitposting: the car

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

begone, brand: the car

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I don't think I've ever met a fellow Millennial that either cares about Busch beer, or had drank Busch beer outside of say visiting the uncle who only has cold Busch beer or lukewarm tap water for drinking.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't think I've ever met a fellow Millennial that either cares about Busch beer, or had drank Busch beer outside of say visiting the uncle who only has cold Busch beer or lukewarm tap water for drinking.

Duh, millennials only drink micro brews and PBR with their avocado toast :rolleyes:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shame Boy posted:

Going by the video they solicited ideas from twitter so this is just twitter shitposting: the car

the homer

now with memes

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the homer

now with memes

this isn’t the Tesla thread

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

pretty sure most of that slang is already out of date

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jel Shaker posted:

pretty sure most of that slang is already out of date

Yaaaaaaas but it's lit fam

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

Yaaaaaaas but it's lit fam

sometimes literally

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
wow! looks bad!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

There exist 3.7V primary lithium cells despite his statement to the contrary. He also says 4.2V is a bad voltage for a charger to read open circuit, but thats a pretty standard "float" voltage for a lithium charger. It should be lower during the constant current region of charge time, but open circuit it should read 4.2ish. https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Some airports have vending machines for a product called "fuel rods" that are the reasonable version of this. Get the battery at one airport, drop it in the vending machine at the next or when you return home. The machine charges it and its ready for the next customer to buy. https://fuel-rod.com/

you can recharge the fuel-rod yourself too, which means i cant wait to see someone recharging one with another fuel rod

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

mandatory lesbian posted:

you can recharge the fuel-rod yourself too, which means i cant wait to see someone recharging one with another fuel rod

You could charge one rod with another, and backcharge the second one with the first. Then plug your device into one of them and never need a wall socket.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

personally I charge my phone the same way I charge my jerk off crystal

nightly

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/AuschwitzMuseum/status/1125814359391920129

:yikes:

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

well, guess there's only one place to go after heroin chic and homeless person chic

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

arbeit macht FREE PILLOWS!

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
genocide couture

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

ScrubLeague posted:

the history of durability and too much capitalism is also what's killing gun manufacturers. 30 years ago a mid-shelf pistol was all steel and aluminum construction, and works today like brand new. today a mid-tier gun is cheap plastic except for the parts that absolutely have to be metal. same with rifles - they used to be all steel and wood, and now they're plastic, but prices haven't significantly changed.

Nah that's financialization and private equity.

Within the manufacturers themselves polymer guns are generally fine. The "planned obselesence" is in some new 223/556 derivative coming out each year like nosler or valkyrie that offers .06% better performance in extremely specific circumstances that necessitate you buying a new barrel and mag every time.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
As a quick fyi redbubble doesn't design or make lines, they're a custom print shop platform. Yeah that vendor needs to be shamed off/have their account closed, but it's not quite as bad as an actual fash fashion line

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Coolness Averted posted:

As a quick fyi redbubble doesn't design or make lines, they're a custom print shop platform. Yeah that vendor needs to be shamed off/have their account closed, but it's not quite as bad as an actual fash fashion line

it's probably generated by an algorithm slamming search terms and results together and may have never even been bought or produced in the real world.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
has anyone said ‘fash’ion yet

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squalid posted:

it's probably generated by an algorithm slamming search terms and results together and may have never even been bought or produced in the real world.

I mean, you would hope, but we can't be too sure

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/1125891810595954688

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The obvious idiocy aside, If everyone followed that advice then the economy would crash.

There's a bit over 300m adults so multiplied by $18k ... $5.4 trillion in consumer spending? Lol

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 04:40 on May 8, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

im the shift from 'average' to 'typical'

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

The obvious idiocy aside, If everyone followed that advice then the economy would crash.

There's a bit over 300m adults so multiplied by $18k ... $540 billion of consumer spending? K lol

It'll happen one way or another. Either the poors voluntarily stop and the economy screeches to a halt via the Paradox of Thrift, or the poors run out of money and the economy screeches to a halt via torches and guillotines.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Was off by an order of magnitude originally, edited to fix!

Yeah they should just pay people more but lol

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

who needs a fukken haircut, anyway

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hustlin Floh posted:

I mean, you would hope, but we can't be too sure

At the very least, someone set up a paypal account to create that store, I have a redbubble account and you can't put stuff up for sale until you have a place to put the money.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

4/10 common causes for poverty are apparently "food."

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myXbLhPli0g

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

This is poor hating bullshit but who spends 100 bucks a month on personal grooming? I'm not swimming in poontang so maybe there's a correlation idk.

I know the answer is 'women are hosed by society and forced to spend a shitton on haircuts and makeup because everything is trash', but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

They could very well be including poo poo like soap and shampoo and razors for just everyday bathing/grooming at home. Taking showers and eating food, now optional apparently.