Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
I don't know which one of you lovely Goons did it, I only suspect that it was someone in this thread, but whoever you are, thanks for the AV!!
(I normally have them turned off but randomly turned them on just now and say that I's no longer a stupid newbie)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

the cat survived therefore its a good movie

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Jay_Zombie posted:

I don't know which one of you lovely Goons did it, I only suspect that it was someone in this thread, but whoever you are, thanks for the AV!!
(I normally have them turned off but randomly turned them on just now and say that I's no longer a stupid newbie)

Dude, I feel like you have had that for quite some time. Hooray for surprises!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's basically a magical demon in Alien, it was only when Cameron got his hands on them years later that they were demoted to a nasty roach infestation.

I think that’s doing them a bit of a disservice; they’re still pretty clever and still dangerous on their own, the sequel just makes them not bulletproof.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Making them a buglike hive sucks in the sense that we understand how bugs work etc. When it was an evil space demon, it was unknowable and unthinkable. Toss the giant engineer corpse in there and we got a mystery.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jay_Zombie posted:

Nice.

CBN_Shaggy
Aug 6, 2001

WHAMMIED! :(

Glenn Quebec posted:

Making them a buglike hive sucks in the sense that we understand how bugs work etc. When it was an evil space demon, it was unknowable and unthinkable. Toss the giant engineer corpse in there and we got a mystery.

Yeah but I can definitely see the Marine's commentary influencing them being turned into 'mere bugs'. There are definitely some behavioral oddities displayed by the queen and her drones in the egg chamber that shows above insect intelligence and motivation.

I think both movies are great companions to give insight into how the classic xenomorph can work independently and in a collective.

EDIT: I loving love thinking about them Aliens.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Xenomrph posted:

Bishop shows up in ‘Aliens’, which is set only a few weeks before ‘Alien3’.

A rough timeline of stuff:
Predator - 1987
Predator 2 - 1997
AvP - 2004
AvP Requiem - 2004
Predators - 2010
The Predator - 2018
Prometheus - 2084
Alien Covenant - 2095 (I think?)
Alien - 2122
Alien Isolation - 2137
Aliens - 2179
Alien3 - 2179
Alien Resurrection - 2381

3 is only a few weeks after 2? When the bang doctor is examining Ripley I thought he said she'd been out for a while?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I;m still thinking about thos aliens

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
There is a deep mine of Aliens content, because the early 90s was a magical time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpYMfflioJE

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ghostnuke posted:

3 is only a few weeks after 2? When the bang doctor is examining Ripley I thought he said she'd been out for a while?

I think he meant that she’d been unconscious for a while post-crash-landing.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

CBN_Shaggy posted:

EDIT: I loving love thinking about them Aliens.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Millions of Crows posted:

There is a deep mine of Aliens content, because the early 90s was a magical time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpYMfflioJE

Thank you so much for posting that. I always remember the "SEND IN THE MARINES!" part of it.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

:hmmyes: I'm actually playing a game right now so I turned on Alien 3 in the background. Maybe I'll pick something up via osmosis.

Speaking of the game, I'm playing Colonial Marines the Stasis Interrupted. Someone mentioned it a few pages ago I think. I didn't even know there was a new campaign until they mentioned it. I'm too lazy to look for the post but they mentioned it being great. Well I'm just about 5 or so minutes into it and it's pretty great. You have no weapons and are currently just trying to get out of there. There were a few jump scares that genuinely got me.

If anyone has Aliens: CM check it out.

edit: Whats the deal with the aliens controls in A:CM? Is it for multiplayer or something?

edit 2: Finished the Stasis Interrupted campaign. Wasn't too bad. The beginning was nice I guess because it felt a bit like Isolation. There is a ton of dialog of Michael Biehn. A bit of Lance Hendrickson too.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 8, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

Fun trivia: The Alien in the third movie is not CGI - the only CGI in the movie is the cracks that appear on the Alien’s head before it explodes at the end.

Can you source that because there are at least two instances that look like complete CGI to me. One, you see it jump on a wall. The other, you see him run with the camera looking down on it from a distance for just about 0.5 seconds. Looks bad Todd.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It's not CGI but they used some just clownishly bad compositing to put footage of the alien prop into footage of the set, like totally different film stocks and lighting iirc, in an apparent effort to merge the worst of CGI and practical effects

https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3438305/effects-team-uploads-alien-3-25th-anniversary-behind-scenes-video/
Apparently it's not in every version but in the cut i saw it left the alien glowing bright Halloween-decoration green for half the movie, nobody bothered fix it cause why would you it's Alien 3

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 8, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the thing about people being dumb in Prometheus/Covenant is

well, there's two big things, one of which is more directly relevant to the former and the other to the latter

in Prometheus, everyone being kind of a dildo is the point. the entire expedition is a sham, and even if it wasn't, what Weyland is trying to achieve on paper is totally absurd. it makes perfect sense that he's not exactly getting the best and brightest, and that the only semi-competent people are the archaeologist whose what-the-gently caress discovery prompted the whole thing and Weyland's daughter (who's still explicitly in way over her head and being played for a fool): the only person whose job is actually needed beyond the cover is Shaw, and even her importance is marginal once Weyland gets to swing dicks with a big grey dude.

in Covenant, literally nobody is even remotely prepared for what they discover and the ship is a comedy of errors even before they land. like, the first thing that happens in the movie is their leader loving burning to death in his pod. Oram got press-ganged into being their new leader at the last second while completely unprepared for it and almost hilariously unsuited for it, so no poo poo he makes bad decisions, and everyone else is basically just a Normal Person who has a perfectly understandable "OH GOD OH poo poo OH HELL NO" panic reaction to seeing hosed up creatures burst out of people. it's closest to the first movie out of everything, in that it's basically "what if the Nostromo crew had a way bigger problem and way less knowledge on what to do about it."

i don't think either movie is perfect (Prometheus is a straight up oddball in the franchise on about 20 different levels, and Covenant is mostly fine but has kinda weird and ropey pacing that it only gets over by having the slow bits be really pretty) but i don't think people being dumb in them is inherently a flaw, they're not inexplicably dumb and their idiocy serves the story on a pretty obvious level

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also, like, man's hubris is a huge central theme of both of the David movies so far; having everyone be a dingus is probably a little on the nose for that, but these have never been incredibly subtle movies

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Those movies loving suck and the points you're making are so far fetched. They certainly didn't give off the the impression that the crew of Prometheus was just a bunch of idiots. Covenant is just such a hot mess I don't know where to begin.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

also, like, man's hubris is a huge central theme of both of the David movies so far; having everyone be a dingus is probably a little on the nose for that, but these have never been incredibly subtle movies

which is bullshit. part of the appeal of alien is that bad things might just be waiting for you in the dark and then the two new movies have just turned it into some Frankenstein poo poo

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I was pretty hyped for Prometheus so took a few people to the midnight opening. After the film finished I turned to the people I'd convinced to come along and apologised.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’m on page 9 so far but is it ever explained why op consistently abbreviates the Weyland-Yutani corporation as WT? Is the alcoholic encephalopathy finally taking over?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

nah, that's def a Y. It's just covered up by the W

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

"Embouchure." As the two robots deep throat a recorder together. "It's hubris, actually." Says the goon.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Dude, I feel like you have had that for quite some time. Hooray for surprises!

Honestly. It's entirely possible that it's been there for years. I've always had the avatars turned off because of work browsing.

In any case, whomever did it, much thanks.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Ghostnuke posted:

nah, that's def a Y. It's just covered up by the W

In the image I shared, yes. But the op is either illiterate or cannot distinguish between the T and Y keys on his keyboard.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"Prometheus was bad on purpose" is quite the spicy take indeed.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

edit: Whats the deal with the aliens controls in A:CM? Is it for multiplayer or something?

Yeah, A:CM had asymmetric multiplayer modes that involved aliens vs marines. One of the modes was a Left 4 Dead style thing where four marines had to achieve a bunch of different objectives while trying to hold off the alien players:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7UBQouJBns

It was actually good, and having players control the aliens sidestepped the terrible AI that was present in the campaign, but the multiplayer died pretty quickly due to the rest of the game's reputation.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Prometheus’ characters are most definitely intended to be mostly idiots, with the exceptions of Shaw, David and (kind of) Elba’s character. The whole movie is about how humans fly a spaceship to meet their creator, who’s like “wow, you guys are terrible” and sets about exterminating them, but is frustrated by the creations of humans, who have also independently decided that humans are terrible and set about exterminating them. The entertainment value of the movie is obviously structured around people getting killed off for being bad. They even do the “had unwed sex for purposes other than conception? That’s a murderin” cliche. It’s like a slasher movie: you violate the norms? Time for you to get violated.

Prometheus also sucks balls.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I can’t imagine not enjoying Prometheus

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

What

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Prometheus is the funniest movie in the franchise

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The huge engineer dude roaring and just backhanding the guy into the wall was pretty funny

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Every scene with Fifeld cracks me up. He loves rocks! And has nothing to contribute in the GIGANTIC DEAD BODY ARENA.

Then when he comes back to the ship, and the first unlucky crew just weep and wail at his magnificence. And they just run him over.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Is fifield the inexplicable zombie one?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Glenn Quebec posted:

"well y'see the black goo does various things depending on...."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

both movies are bad but i think i'm in the minority who was slightly more up on prometheus and slightly more down on covenant

covenant doing a speed run of alien in the last 15 minutes was a lol, to me.

i'm sad we'll never see neil blumpkin's alien 3 mulligan

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Whedon, perverted buffoon: Let's have Ripley come face-to-face with her horrible monster child, and recognize it for her own
Lindelof, visionary of the human condition: Let's have Shaw and whatsername run away from the alien ship while it rolls around after them, like a giant evil tire

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Glenn Quebec posted:

Fifield is the handsome zombie one!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

hey what's the source of alien_door_tape.gif?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
He’s also very flexible!