Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Quick post to say I love old school PC RPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

chaosapiant posted:

I'm playing Anachronox now, finally. So far it's pretty tight! Why oh why has Tom Hall not gone to Kickstarter to make a sequel? I hear-tell this game needs a sequel.

While not a sequel,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lootdrop/an-old-school-rpg-by-brenda-brathwaite-and-tom-hal

I wanted it because it felt like the closest thing we could ever get to a new Wizardry 8 game.

It was not successful, regrettably.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I think this game might be too recent to really qualify but I'm posting about it anyway: does anyone have any advice for playing Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide and what npc follower is best for a wizard. I'm trying to do it while also preventing my followers from loving themselves up with awful multiclass choices since for some reason they decided that having a rogue/cleric and a barbarian/sorcerer were both good ideas. I heard that even if you tell him to only put levels in barbarian he still ends up super hosed up because he keeps trying to cast cantrips instead of getting into melee, so I've been running with the cleric who seems fine so far.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Glagha posted:

I think this game might be too recent to really qualify but I'm posting about it anyway: does anyone have any advice for playing Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide and what npc follower is best for a wizard. I'm trying to do it while also preventing my followers from loving themselves up with awful multiclass choices since for some reason they decided that having a rogue/cleric and a barbarian/sorcerer were both good ideas. I heard that even if you tell him to only put levels in barbarian he still ends up super hosed up because he keeps trying to cast cantrips instead of getting into melee, so I've been running with the cleric who seems fine so far.

I think when I beat that exp back in...2003...I used a Sorcered/Red Dragon Disciple and had Deekin and Dorna Trapspringer. I didn't have/need a real meat shield. I don't think. Good campaign though. Are you going to slide right into Hordes of the Underdark? The two expansions flow into each other very well methinks.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah I was planning on it. Dorna seems fine so long as I don't let her level up rogue and just make her focus on being a full caster who can wear heavy armor because that seems way more useful. Especially because my familiar has rogue skills.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Glagha posted:

Yeah I was planning on it. Dorna seems fine so long as I don't let her level up rogue and just make her focus on being a full caster who can wear heavy armor because that seems way more useful. Especially because my familiar has rogue skills.

I used Dorna mainly for traps/unlocking poo poo. I can't remember though if that campaign really needed that much. Deekin becomes super helpful with his cool songs that cause the top of your screen to turn into a row of icons.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

It doesn't matter what class you are. Deekin is the best henchman in video game history and I'll hear nothing else.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I like Deekin and I don't really know why, he's the typical quirky Bioware companion who turns out to be secretly magical and he has a really annoying voice and is tongue in cheek meta without being remotely clever about it. I dunno, it works for me.

possibly because I played the game when I was 12 and I am now 28. what the gently caress

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I like Deekin and I don't really know why, he's the typical quirky Bioware companion who turns out to be secretly magical and he has a really annoying voice and is tongue in cheek meta without being remotely clever about it. I dunno, it works for me.

its not that deekin is a bog-standard bioware character - undrentide was developed by floodgate interactive - so its like a fan-fiction writer's idea of a quirky bioware character.

i've tried playing undrentide 3 or 4 times over the years but never get far. it's not that it's like actively terrible or anything, just... aggressively average. the location design is drab, quests and characters are boilerplate fantasy RPG stuff.

i like low budget/janky RPGs so normally i might be more charitable, but usually whenever i've tried to play it i'm just thinking about how hordes of the underdark is super good and i'd rather be playing that instead.

what i'm saying here is make sure you play hordes of the underdark everyone.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This might be a pretty specific request but are there any crpgs where you can have a kid or take a student, and then play as them when your character dies. Not as a part of the plot but as a general mechanic. I have no preference for year and have a high tolerance for jank so even if it's a game some guy sold on usenet from his home in 1981 I am interested.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Sounds like an interesting mechanic, do you know any games like that yourself? I can't really think of any off the top of my head.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Ugh, it is tenuous but that's the underlying 'story' of Rogue Legacy. How much of a mechanic it is vs just a new character is up for debate. It's been years since I played it. I don't recall what all you inherited, if anything.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

GorfZaplen posted:

This might be a pretty specific request but are there any crpgs where you can have a kid or take a student, and then play as them when your character dies. Not as a part of the plot but as a general mechanic. I have no preference for year and have a high tolerance for jank so even if it's a game some guy sold on usenet from his home in 1981 I am interested.

Brown Moses posted:

Sounds like an interesting mechanic, do you know any games like that yourself? I can't really think of any off the top of my head.

The Phantasy Star 3 had a gimmick like that, and Valley Without Wind 1/2 has a death mechanic that is really similar to what GorfZaplen described.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

The Phantasy Star 3 had a gimmick like that, and Valley Without Wind 1/2 has a death mechanic that is really similar to what GorfZaplen described.

If we're allowed to include console RPGs, the Etrian Odyssey main series has this thing where you can "retire" party members for good, which allows you to replace them with level 1 apprentices with some stat bonuses. Alternatively, if you retire a party member after reaching max level, the new apprentice replacing them can also reach a slightly higher max level.

Edit:

Phantasy Star 3's generation system is flexible enough you can even pair one of your heroes with a robot, causing him to have zero descendants so you have to switch over to another family in the following generation. I always respected Phantasy Star 3's willingness to let the player completely gently caress over his family's history like this.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 30, 2019

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

GorfZaplen posted:

That's a really specific ask so I unfortunately have nothing for you on that. The closest thing I can think of that's almost/sorta/kinda/not really related is there's a Japanese RPG that plays a lot like Legend of Grimrock called Zanki Zero that involves you playing clones of your own characters as they die and a new version gets popped out of a vat, and there's mechanical weight in how your characters die influencing their next incarnation and aging as a mechanic. It also unfortunately has some uncomfortable JRPG-isms centered on underage girls and leans very heavily into that "graphic violence inflicted on anime girls to build drama" aesthetic that those death game anime like to lean into these days so approach with caution.

Edit: The aging as a mechanic thing refers to how your characters literally come back as children and have to age into adults again.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 30, 2019

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Sunless Sea somewhat fits.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I hate to be the on-point one to bring up Wasteland's casual introduction of a cloning facility near late-game, and I believe the lore encourages you to see them as your children since they will inevitably be like you but not as great as you yet (as they were frozen in time whenever you cloned the character). Though that might have just been my own personal childhood bias interpreting things.

Also comedy option Fallout 76 is introducing retirement mechanics soon

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
demise has an aging mechanic and if your characters are aging too much and near death you're encouraged to create a new party and use the higher level chars to level up the new ones. some races have insanely long lifespans and you have several ways to fight aging so it doesn't come up too much.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

There's that fire emblem where the main cast gets replaced by their kids like halfway through.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

Not a CRPG, but this is the central mechanic of a PS1 RPG whose Japanese name is "Ore no shikabane o koete yuke" ("Continue on after I have passed") that I don't know if it got translated. You play a constantly rotating roster of characters who age and die out, with each newer generation (hopefully) getting stronger as you pass on your skills and knowledge. As your characters get older and older they become less suited for combat but become ideal for spending their "turn" training the younger generation, who at that point is also too young and inexperienced to go out in the field.

It's a good game but very grindy and has an extremely creepy cutscene toward the end of the game where a fully-grown man/god reenters the womb of his mother the same way he came out.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Libluini posted:

Phantasy Star 3's generation system is flexible enough you can even pair one of your heroes with a robot, causing him to have zero descendants so you have to switch over to another family in the following generation. I always respected Phantasy Star 3's willingness to let the player completely gently caress over his family's history like this.
.... That's odd, because I'm pretty sure you got a choice between two specific human ladies at the end of each generation. (If you count "Orakians" and "Layans" as both humans, anyway.)

You pick up two specific robots during the first generation and they follow your descendants around too.

Are you sure you're not thinking of a different game?

Zushio
May 8, 2008
If we're gonna include console games then SaGa Frontier 2 and the Romancing SaGa games. I think Romancing SaGa 2 just got a PC release.

Oh also some of the Fire Emblem games do this if I recall.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Genpei Turtle posted:

Not a CRPG, but this is the central mechanic of a PS1 RPG whose Japanese name is "Ore no shikabane o koete yuke" ("Continue on after I have passed") that I don't know if it got translated. You play a constantly rotating roster of characters who age and die out, with each newer generation (hopefully) getting stronger as you pass on your skills and knowledge. As your characters get older and older they become less suited for combat but become ideal for spending their "turn" training the younger generation, who at that point is also too young and inexperienced to go out in the field.

It's a good game but very grindy and has an extremely creepy cutscene toward the end of the game where a fully-grown man/god reenters the womb of his mother the same way he came out.
The Vita sequel got a worldwide release as Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines. I didn't get super far into it, but it was interesting (and yes, a bit grindy).

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Thanks for the games. I already had Oreshika and Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War on my list to check out. You'd think it'd show up in more western games but maybe it was just a popular trend in 90s Japanese gaming. I'd never heard of Demise before and it seems like exactly the kind of crazy thing I'd be really into.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zereth posted:

.... That's odd, because I'm pretty sure you got a choice between two specific human ladies at the end of each generation. (If you count "Orakians" and "Layans" as both humans, anyway.)

You pick up two specific robots during the first generation and they follow your descendants around too.

Are you sure you're not thinking of a different game?

No, it's definitely possible to get one of the two robots you pick up as a choice in one of the later generations. I can't remember the specific hoops you have to go through, though.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Libluini posted:

No, it's definitely possible to get one of the two robots you pick up as a choice in one of the later generations. I can't remember the specific hoops you have to go through, though.

It definitely is not.

At the end of generation 1, Rhys can marry Lena (and your son is Nial) or Maya (and your son is Ayn).

At the end of generation 2, Nial can marry Alair (and their son is Aron) or Laya (and their son is Adan). If you're playing Ayn, he can marry Thea (their son is Sean) or Sari (their son is Crys). None of these people are androids, though they are varying degrees of Orakian/Layan and it does change where they start and what they're doing.

Edit: There are also no hoops. Each of them always has their two options.

Prism fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 30, 2019

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Prism posted:

It definitely is not.

At the end of generation 1, Rhys can marry Lena (and your son is Nial) or Maya (and your son is Ayn).

At the end of generation 2, Nial can marry Alair (and their son is Aron) or Laya (and their son is Adan). If you're playing Ayn, he can marry Thea (their son is Sean) or Sari (their son is Crys). None of these people are androids, though they are varying degrees of Orakian/Layan and it does change where they start and what they're doing.

Huh. I definitely remember it should be possible at some point to choose one of the androids. Maybe I'm remembering some old gaming hoax/rumor instead? :confused:

gently caress, now I have to replay the game to make sure.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
You should get to gently caress a robot.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Libluini posted:

Huh. I definitely remember it should be possible at some point to choose one of the androids. Maybe I'm remembering some old gaming hoax/rumor instead? :confused:

gently caress, now I have to replay the game to make sure.

Maybe. I've heard some extensive PS rumours/hoaxes/gaming myths.

El_Elegante posted:

I mean, technically I didn't say anything about that, just that you can't marry one.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

El_Elegante posted:

If you "role-play" you can gently caress anything you like with the power of imagination. not sure why you're playing these games otherwise... fill in the gaps, man.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I must reflect on this.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

El_Elegante posted:

Fisto is programmed to please.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This thread is going places :yikes:

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

This thread is going places :yikes:

Numbness will subside in several minutes

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Prism posted:

I don't think PS3 even has sidequests.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Anyone familiar with Nuvie config and able to recognise why this is not giving me a larger play window in Ultima VI?

<video>
<game_style>new</game_style>
<scale_method>Point</scale_method>
<scale_factor>2</scale_factor>
<fullscreen>no</fullscreen>
<screen_width>1920</screen_width>
<screen_height>1080</screen_height>
<game_width>1920</game_width>
<game_height>1080</game_height>
<game_position>center</game_position>
</video>

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

What is your default screen resolution (looks like you're doing windowed mode)?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

What is your default screen resolution (looks like you're doing windowed mode)?

3440x1440 - got an ultrawide and then second monitor is 1920x1200. I tried fullscreen=yes but made no difference. I changed to this with no luck:

<video>
<game_style>original+_full_map</game_style>
<fullscreen>yes</fullscreen>
<screen_width>960</screen_width>
<screen_height>600</screen_height>
<game_width>960</game_width>
<game_height>600</game_height>
</video>

EDIT: Got it. It's because the cfg file is not the one that you think it is... but rather is located for some reason in \AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Nuvie and I don't see any mention of this. But anyway, we got there!

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 8, 2019

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

3440x1440 - got an ultrawide and then second monitor is 1920x1200. I tried fullscreen=yes but made no difference. I changed to this with no luck:

<video>
<game_style>original+_full_map</game_style>
<fullscreen>yes</fullscreen>
<screen_width>960</screen_width>
<screen_height>600</screen_height>
<game_width>960</game_width>
<game_height>600</game_height>
</video>

EDIT: Got it. It's because the cfg file is not the one that you think it is... but rather is located for some reason in \AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Nuvie and I don't see any mention of this. But anyway, we got there!

Have you got the game installed in Program Files? If so the reason the .cfg file to change is in that odd location is Windows helpfully making sure your game runs instead of stopping due to access denied errors, or instead popping up a UAC admin prompt every time you want to run the game. Don't install games into Program Files if you can help it, especially if they're a game that stores its config files, save games or any other files it needs to write to in the same folder the game is in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

That's good to know, thank you. I think that's just the nuvie default install dir so what you're saying makes a lot of sense. Pretty much everything else is on different drives entirely (including the game files).

I'm glad I got this working. It's daaaaated but still so classic, and in larger res with gump (what's the origin of that term?) it's a nice way to revisit Ultima VI. Makes me eager to check out how Exult is doing.

Are there any other good, lesser-known engines/interpreters like this?