Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

I wonder if a Meshuggah cover album would be terrible or awesome. Like them playing Master of Puppets or Killed by Death and stuff, either straight or djentrified.

Dillinger Escape Plan did a couple of straight covers which didn’t really work as I remember though.
Yeah, the Plagiarism EP felt completely uninspired. It felt like the sort of thing you put out to get out of a contract, but given that they released the fairly great Ire Works the next year on the same label, it felt weird. Then again, taking into account that every record after Ire Works was released with help from a different label, so maybe there was something to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, the Plagiarism EP felt completely uninspired. It felt like the sort of thing you put out to get out of a contract, but given that they released the fairly great Ire Works the next year on the same label, it felt weird. Then again, taking into account that every record after Ire Works was released with help from a different label, so maybe there was something to that.

Dillinger Escape Plan’s Aphex Twin cover with Mike Patton on vocals was pretty spot on, but I guess that was just as much a proof of concept.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
their cover of rebel yell was pretty good

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kjetting posted:

Dillinger Escape Plan’s Aphex Twin cover with Mike Patton on vocals was pretty spot on, but I guess that was just as much a proof of concept.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

their cover of rebel yell was pretty good
Yeah, but they felt natural. So did the few times they played Hot for Teacher live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NE-mWCSiTw

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Philthy posted:

I'm kind of annoyed at this because if you follow through all the production youtube masterclass uber producer make money money do this and they all tell you to use the swing knob so your music doesn't sound like a loving robot.

Swing/humanize doesn’t intentionally change tempo throughout the song, which is the point he FiNALLY gets to near the blend.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Dr. Faustus posted:

I only somewhat understand what you guys are talking about (mics and phase cancellation times many tracks I think I am in the ballpark at least) but wow this really does seem to be stupid music poo poo.

At what point do diminishing returns become a reason to just not bother? Four tracks, or?

Sounds dumb anyway except as a gimmick.

This has been a Faust really doesn't get it post. :)

Yeah I think anything after 4 tracks of the same part (per panning) is around the point that it doesn't make much difference anymore. When I say "per panning" I mean that 4 tracks panned center might start to wash out if not millisecond perfect, but 2 panned hard left and 2 panned hard right will still sound a bit more clear because you're only "layering" 2 tracks against each other per side. If you download Reaper or some other DAW, you can try it yourself if you like. It's fun experimenting with what different techniques sound like.

In my experience, once you start doing more than say 3 or 4 tracks of the same part panned directly in line with each other, your guitar starts to sound more like a huge, distant wave of energy instead of some tight, agile thing. It's definitely not dumb if it's done right though. If you do half your parts panned hard left and the other half panned hard right, things really start to sound gigantic. If the sound you're going for is "huge unstoppable force" then that's a good place to start.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 7, 2019

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

I only somewhat understand what you guys are talking about (mics and phase cancellation times many tracks I think I am in the ballpark at least) but wow this really does seem to be stupid music poo poo.

At what point do diminishing returns become a reason to just not bother? Four tracks, or?

Sounds dumb anyway except as a gimmick.

This has been a Faust really doesn't get it post. :)

I mean Meshuggah (and djent in general) seems like an evolutionary dead end to me anyways. It's like how commercial Turkey production has made turkeys that can't actually inseminate each other any more, or sabre tooth tigers that couldn't open their mouths larger than their teeth so die of starvation.

So we had hard rock in the '80s. To make it harder we added a double kick and got metal, and it was good. Then it was a few decades of "how do we make it harder" So now we've ended up with the hardest a rock quartet can be, but it kind of sounds like homogeneous poo poo.(See also: modern Jazz, and arcane harmonization. and modern blues rock with their 1000notes, no music found)

Also as near as I can tell the lyrics to all their songs are "oaaaaaah. oaaaaaaah. oh oh oaaaaaaaa." so I am deep in "get of my lawn" territory here.

the good news is that Humans do music. So we got tons of great stuff on the way down. Neo-classical, symphonic metal, math rock, neo-prog etc. eventually some kids are going to find a Meshuggah album but not know how to scream "properly" or play the drums right, or realize they are supposed to have 24 dubs of their guitars and will create something amazing

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 7, 2019

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I don't think it's a coincidence deliberately-ratty black metal is pretty popular on Bandcamp right now.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Siivola posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence deliberately-ratty black metal is pretty popular on Bandcamp right now.

when music loses its cathartic edge you gotta get back to basics.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also raw hm2core themed crossover/grind is getting a resurgence.

Noise is cool and good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, but they felt natural. So did the few times they played Hot for Teacher live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NE-mWCSiTw

Jesus christ this video is 4:3. Why.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

Also raw hm2core themed crossover/grind is getting a resurgence.

Noise is cool and good.

2019 will be the year that all pedals include an HM2 gyrator tonestack. Abominable Electronics is releasing a pedal with Kurt Ballou that's a ZVex SHO with an HM2 tonestack. Some other company infamous for their HM2 clones has already put out something similar. A friend of mine is releasing an MT-2 with HM-2 tonestack. The first motherfucker to put out a Green Russian Big Muff with HM2 tone controls will rule the land for the next 15 minutes.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Someone should just make a knobless, always-dimed HM-2.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Im surprised that JHS doesn't make a mini one with just an on/off switch in a box that's about the size of a switch and Jack's.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Siivola posted:

Like that one amp head one of The Sword guys uses that only has one knob?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Siivola posted:

https://imgur.com/JrhWcQl

https://dunwichamps.tumblr.com/post/149008777768/no-knobs-no-masters-nihilist-hm2-allpass

lol

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Some people deserve to get kicked in the shins. This person is not one of them. :)

s.i.r.e. posted:

Jesus christ this video is 4:3. Why.
I dunno. People are evil? :shrug:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
e: Why. :argh:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yessss! :black101:

Wark Say posted:

Like that one amp head one of The Sword guys uses that only has one knob?
I would like to know more. :stare:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Siivola posted:

Yessss! :black101:

I would like to know more. :stare:

It's called the Big Crunch One Knob. Strangely, only a 50w-er.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It sounds pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WmHO0p2YSc

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

2019 will be the year that all pedals include an HM2 gyrator tonestack. Abominable Electronics is releasing a pedal with Kurt Ballou that's a ZVex SHO with an HM2 tonestack. Some other company infamous for their HM2 clones has already put out something similar. A friend of mine is releasing an MT-2 with HM-2 tonestack. The first motherfucker to put out a Green Russian Big Muff with HM2 tone controls will rule the land for the next 15 minutes.

Lol anywhere i can hear all these things?

I built some standalone muff tonestacks and chucked them after a bunch of different dirt pedals to see what happened, poo poo like this is v interesting to me.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I just learned that the 5150 is sort of a cross between a hotrodded marshall plexi (read: jcm800) and a SLO100. I have no idea why but I love all of those amps for the very same reason. I've never really been a huge EVH fan but it seems like we have the same taste when it comes to guitar tone.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Honestly I’ve been so burned out on overproduced multi tracked flawlessly metronome locked no bad notes ever rock/metal that I couldn’t be happier about these throwbacks/stripped down bands. They still run into similar issues for me sometimes but it’s better. Sure I enjoy a lot of music with that level of clean sterility but there’s something about a lot of 60s/70s/80s/90s even rock and metal that feels very human and raw to me. First Van Halen album, 80s thrash and heavy metal, 80s+90s black and death metal. I would rather hear the most energetic and passionate take with well done production than that same idea picked from 50 takes, double tracked and engineered to sound as incredible as possible.

old man yells at cloudkicker etc

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

I just learned that the 5150 is sort of a cross between a hotrodded marshall plexi (read: jcm800) and a SLO100. I have no idea why but I love all of those amps for the very same reason. I've never really been a huge EVH fan but it seems like we have the same taste when it comes to guitar tone.

My full EVH love happened because his approach to gear/tone/modding/playing rules. When you dig into his brain a bit it makes you appreciate his music way more.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

field balm posted:

Lol anywhere i can hear all these things?

I built some standalone muff tonestacks and chucked them after a bunch of different dirt pedals to see what happened, poo poo like this is v interesting to me.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwRrxU_H6Fe/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=75ymkkqkui0c

https://youtu.be/L3zqu5Ffwa8

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The first motherfucker to put out a Green Russian Big Muff with HM2 tone controls will rule the land for the next 15 minutes.

I legit had this idea so i'm expecting pepers to put it out in the next hour or so, continuing his trend of stealing my ideas out of my head and doing them before i can do them

edit: also I bought this and it owns extremely hard and isn't made by a narcissistic rear end in a top hat

me, an intellectual: buys a hm2 clone for more than an actual hm2 costs in order to tour with it

Concatenation fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 8, 2019

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Concatenation posted:

I legit had this idea so i'm expecting pepers to put it out in the next hour or so, continuing his trend of stealing my ideas out of my head and doing them before i can do them

edit: also I bought this and it owns extremely hard and isn't made by a narcissistic rear end in a top hat

me, an intellectual: buys a hm2 clone for more than an actual hm2 costs in order to tour with it

Built like a tank, though. At least this one won't require you to bring a soldering iron on tour.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
just buy like four of the behringer HM2 clones and give them out to kids at the show when they start to act up

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Siivola posted:

I have this in the works.

Seriously.

E: F,B

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

there's a little more to it than that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzOhq3-3d90&t=913s

Kilometers Davis posted:

Honestly I’ve been so burned out on overproduced multi tracked flawlessly metronome locked no bad notes ever rock/metal that I couldn’t be happier about these throwbacks/stripped down bands. They still run into similar issues for me sometimes but it’s better. Sure I enjoy a lot of music with that level of clean sterility but there’s something about a lot of 60s/70s/80s/90s even rock and metal that feels very human and raw to me. First Van Halen album, 80s thrash and heavy metal, 80s+90s black and death metal. I would rather hear the most energetic and passionate take with well done production than that same idea picked from 50 takes, double tracked and engineered to sound as incredible as possible.

carcass' heartwork album was recorded without a click. i'm just saying

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, and somewhat hilariously: The only thing Michael Amott actually contributed during his stint with Carcass was some like 8 or 9 leads/solos. Every single rhythm guitar on anything aside from maybe Swan Song and the EP that contained reworkings from Surgical Steel leftover songs was recorded by Bill.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
still the funniest thing about that album:

quote:

Bill Steer (guitar) was bothered all the way through the backing tracks that the guide guitar (through his beloved marshall) had been too scratchy sounding. We tried moving the pickup height. We tried different amps (Soldano, 5150, various Marshalls, Dual rectifier, many, many amps!) then we tried different cabs... Nothing sounded as good as the demo sound. We had started with the same combo as the demo, but that was the "scratchy" sound that was annoying Bill... then I had an idea.

This was like making a resonant kick drum by putting two kicks back-to back with no heads in between. I took two Marshall 4x12 cabs. We took the backs of both of them. We took the speakers out of the second one, and we blocked off the holes with plywood and corrugated cardboard, as the closest thing we could find to a 'seal'. This was definately getting boomy, and quite interesting, but Bill still didn't like the top end. It was sandpapery and irritating to him.

As a last resort (after 4 days of trying things out, double-tracking things, seeing if things got better or worse after layering... then erasing everything right away!) we went up to the demo room (studio 3) and took our "Frankencabinet" up with us. We miced up the cab and brought it up on the Allen & Heath. There was our sound. Was it the room? -probably at least partly, but we'd tried 5 or 6 completely different areas in studio 2... ord knows there's no shortage of acoustic spaces there... or was it the Allen & Heath Mic preamps? -Who Knows? Who Cares? -I'm wheeling the Studer upstairs, and we're booking some time in studio 3!!!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Muppets On PCP posted:

carcass' heartwork album was recorded without a click. i'm just saying

It’s one of my favorite metal albums for a reason!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

That clean boost with the hm2 eq actually sounds pretty drat cool

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kilometers Davis posted:

old man yells at cloudkicker etc

I know exactly what you mean, and I agree.

Technical wankery can be fun, but the real good stuff is made by people who don't care about perfect production values or picking and mixing takes to produce a flawless result. Flawless is boring, I want the humanity, the passion, the musicality to shine. I've been getting more and more into blackened thrash/speed, and there are so many fun bands out there who just shred for the hell of it, full speed ahead, never mind the sound quality or mainstream appeal.

I'm fortunate enough to be the promo release handler for a metal website, so I get a ton of releases from all sorts of big and small distros, as well as independent bands. Without exaggerating, there are at least 10 releases from bands with wonderfully raw old-school aesthetics and production, every single week. A lot of the stuff doesn't get reviewed or much press at all, but I do try to pull from this stuff when I recommend new music to my friends or share something on social media or whatever.

Outside of death metal and blackened thrash/speed, we also get the occasional retro hard rock/NWOBHM coming through, a lot of them go hard for the retro style. One band that really caught my attention is Tanith. I think they just hit that 70s vibe so perfectly, I get really strong Camel etc. vibes from it.

It's absolutely not stupid music poo poo, but I'mma post it anyway, because it rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPY_Jw-O5k0

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 8, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

KozmoNaut posted:

I know exactly what you mean, and I agree.

Technical wankery can be fun, but the real good stuff is made by people who don't care about perfect production values or picking and mixing takes to produce a flawless result. Flawless is boring, I want the humanity, the passion, the musicality to shine. I've been getting more and more into blackened thrash/speed, and there are so many fun bands out there who just shred for the hell of it, full speed ahead, never mind the sound quality or mainstream appeal.

I'm fortunate enough to be the promo release handler for a metal website, so I get a ton of releases from all sorts of big and small distros, as well as independent bands. Without exaggerating, there are at least 10 releases from bands with wonderfully raw old-school aesthetics and production, every single week. A lot of the stuff doesn't get reviewed or much press at all, but I do try to pull from this stuff when I recommend new music to my friends or share something on social media or whatever.

Outside of death metal and blackened thrash/speed, we also get the occasional retro hard rock/NWOBHM coming through, a lot of them go hard for the retro style. One band that really caught my attention is Tanith. I think they just hit that 70s vibe so perfectly, I get really strong Camel etc. vibes from it.

It's absolutely not stupid music poo poo, but I'mma post it anyway, because it rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPY_Jw-O5k0
Yo', this whipped! :rock:

Also, I agree completely with the bolded part. With a few exceptions (Periphery, Meshuggah, and a few smattering of others), I want something that feels... not necessarily "ugly", but for Buddha's sake, it's fine to show your human side, buddy.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

LOL at the bottom of that page (below the pictures)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Concatenation posted:

Speaking of which, that dude is unraveling publicly and it is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wait why are they feuding