Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The dorm I stayed in had the student records call in center on the first floor. They were always quick to evacuate for fire alarms because it meant they didn't have to work and got to have a smoke break. They also always propped the door open so we could get back in without walking halfway around the building, because you know they weren't going to walk farther than needed.

I had one job where we did shelter in place drills, those also had high participation because you didn't have to work :). Also, my desk was in a safety area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sirotan posted:

I've got a friend who once used infused an entire bag of dried ghost peppers into a bottle of Everclear, and then he and his (dumbass) friends all took turns taking shots of it. One vomited immediately, and another one just went into some weird zen state, acted stoned and barely spoke until he left. The next day he reported being successfully "cleansed". Yeah.

He used up the rest by adding small amounts to batches of chili.
I did this with vodka and some homegrown datil peppers. Getting the resulting liquid on your skin results in immediate numbness followed by a sensation that feels exactly like a chemical burn and lasts for 48 hours.

It's loving stellar in s bloody Mary though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mattfl posted:

Uhm, I was at Tuffy's last weekend for breakfast. Is there another local goon around here?

Was that the Sunday brunch where they had the Trilogy Coffee guys and the food truck? Because I was there!

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

mattfl posted:

Uhm, I was at Tuffy's last weekend for breakfast. Is there another local goon around here?

Please, join us in hellworld if you haven't already.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

here's some canadian OSHA

QEW driver caught on video with car doors open, carting load of wood

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Oh hells yeahs!! Thats not too far from me. A local boy!!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
lol of course it's Hamilton.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Moist von Lipwig posted:

lol of course it's Hamilton.

That's only because the QEW doesn't go to Cornwall.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Was that the Sunday brunch where they had the Trilogy Coffee guys and the food truck? Because I was there!

The food truck that served everything on donuts? If so yes lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I will stop in!

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

ArcMage posted:

Our foundry has about 20 furnaces, each of which has its own slightly different alarm tone, because an operator only really cares about two or three of them at a time, which seems to be effective design for us.

Unfortunately, the same alarm is used for an event that happens every operating cycle to announce that everything is fine, essentially.

I was at a place like that for work. Each machine had a little tune it played at the end of a cycle. Imagine the hell of hearing the first few bars of the star wars theme in chiptune every 10 minutes. There were other songs, but that one was right next to where i worked... for several hours.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

frodnonnag posted:

I was at a place like that for work. Each machine had a little tune it played at the end of a cycle. Imagine the hell of hearing the first few bars of the star wars theme in chiptune every 10 minutes. There were other songs, but that one was right next to where i worked... for several hours.

A 14-hour retail shift preparing the store for a visit from upper management, with about 6 hours of it at the end centered around the same booth that played the same commercial with the same jingle over and over on loop. Welcome to insanity when it's loving 2am and you're hearing that thing play for the something-thousandth time. It's 4 years later and I can still hear it in the back of my head sometimes.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

SelenicMartian posted:

Now 13 are reported dead, including 2 kids. But hey, others got their bags from the overhead bins!

I always wonder how many people will try to get their stuff, and in the process slow others from exiting the plane, in an emergency. Probably a lot.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

one just went into some weird zen state, acted stoned and barely spoke until he left. The next day he reported being successfully "cleansed"

That dude got all the good endorphins

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Volkerball posted:

when i was in the army the fire alarm went off in the barracks so often that people just started sleeping through them. dont cry wolf with fire alarms in alaska. when you have to stand outside in subzero weather burning alive doesn't sound half bad.

fun factoid , christian missionaries had to modify what hell was to the Inuit because a fire hell does seem nice.

also my fire fight, flight, or freeze story was running to my kitchen fire and cursing like a sailor for where the gently caress the fire extinguisher was.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

jemand posted:

I always wonder how many people will try to get their stuff, and in the process slow others from exiting the plane, in an emergency. Probably a lot.

There are photos of a guy walking away from the plane crash carrying his luggage. They said he was in seat 10C and no one from the 11th row back survived. Witnesses also said he got furious when airline staff would give him a refund right then and there while they were assisting with medical treatment of survivors.

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Getting the resulting liquid on your skin results in immediate numbness followed by a sensation that feels exactly like a chemical burn and lasts for 48 hours.

I had something similar from chopping a bunch of habaneros for a stir fry and not getting around to washing the chili oil of my hands quickly enough, and I guess it soaked in because no amount of hand washing could clear it up. Took about ~10 hours for the burning sensation to go away. A deeply unpleasant experience.

On a similar topic, more concentrated doses of chilli can apparently temporarily (on the order of weeks to months) shut down pain receptors while leaving other nerves unaffected, as a treatment for chronic pain: https://www.wired.com/story/resiniferatoxin/

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Charlottesville 10-footer is hungry lately.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

There are photos of a guy walking away from the plane crash carrying his luggage. They said he was in seat 10C and no one from the 11th row back survived. Witnesses also said he got furious when airline staff would give him a refund right then and there while they were assisting with medical treatment of survivors.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

This photo is from a different crash.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Not a bridge but a giant truck went down my very much not a through street today and the roof snapped my cable line which caused it to whip Ghost Ship-style before laying across the street. All my neighbors came out. My doorbell cam caught it before the internet went out and just lol. Xfinity guy told me it happens a couple times a year.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

This photo is from a different crash.

I know but I thought it was pretty funny

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
https://i.imgur.com/8MEc6VN.mp4

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god I hope that giant can help

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Why is there a giant child?

e: oh wait, I see. Fence for perspective. Sorry, it's early.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

One of our customers just had a stand down all hands meeting due to a knee-to-groin degloving involving a forklift and a maintenance employee not wearing a vest.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Woah that's a bit harsh isn't it?

I mean I totally would nut them too obv, but not so their drat skin falls off

:pwn:

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 8, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wanna see that vest that can protect me from a knee-to-groin degloving :prepop:

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Much milder, but it’s safety week at my friend’s work. An iron worker decided to kick it off by stepping into a gap in the deck. He’s alive, just dislocated both his arms.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Why is there a giant child?

e: oh wait, I see. Fence for perspective. Sorry, it's early.

I really like that upon seeing the giant child in the background, your first instinct was to try and justify the existence of giants.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

One of our customers just had a stand down all hands meeting due to a knee-to-groin degloving involving a forklift and a maintenance employee not wearing a vest.

I... What? How does that even happen? Are the incidents related?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

I guess I'm lucky, the one I sit near plays a lovely piano rendition of Fur Elise

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe

All I can think of when I see this is the time I had a customer sign a "we totally aren't liable for this" form because they loaded two 4x4 8' posts in a vw beetle. It rested in the rear driver window and the front passenger window. Like flush with the passenger Sideview mirror

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

shove me like you do posted:

All I can think of when I see this is the time I had a customer sign a "we totally aren't liable for this" form because they loaded two 4x4 8' posts in a vw beetle. It rested in the rear driver window and the front passenger window. Like flush with the passenger Sideview mirror
I once was involved in loading 16 8' 2x4s in to a GTI and it was pretty much the same. The ones in the back were up against the hatch, the ones in the front were just barely clearing the glass, and if we had to stop in a hurry that car would have needed a new windshield.

It worked though.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Mr. Apollo posted:

There are photos of a guy walking away from the plane crash carrying his luggage. They said he was in seat 10C and no one from the 11th row back survived.

If those facts are connected in the way I suspect they are connected, especially for the people in row 11 and 12, that guy is basically a murderer. Hope his stuff was worth it!

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

jemand posted:

If those facts are connected in the way I suspect they are connected, especially for the people in row 11 and 12, that guy is basically a murderer. Hope his stuff was worth it!

He definitely sounds like the kind of guy who will accept responsibility for his actions, too

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

JackSplater posted:

I... What? How does that even happen? Are the incidents related?

Forklift operator did not see the guy crouching by a dock door and pinned him then raised the mast.

The incident was bad enough that the had to clean fat off of the dock floor.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Forklift operator did not see the guy crouching by a dock door and pinned him then raised the mast.

Can't let the fat go to waste. First rule of cooking.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!

welp there goes that into the ol' nightmare bank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

jemand posted:

To be fair there's multiple passengers with items in the video so you can't really blame one individual. It's dumb as gently caress but it's just what people do.

I'd personally be 100% fine with bringing charges against people who slow down evacuations though. Also, for that guy who held the door shut in the orlando night club shooting.