Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'm even going bald! I could be dansgaming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Basically all the successful streamers and high profile internet people in general are already rich enough to hire a marketing firm to astroturf them everywhere.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
For every moderately successful streamer there are a million dorks not earning poo poo while they waste away in their moms basement

You might as well become a succesful writer or a moviestar

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Funniest thing about Octopath Traveler is that the visual effects are so taxing on the Switch it doesn't even run at native resolution

food court bailiff posted:

wait for a sale, i mean i'm still playing it it's just that i'm playing it to zone out before bed instead of mainlining it even as a side game

that said, the game really truly is stupidly pretty. it just seems like it could have been so much better with a little more care put into the other aspects.
extremely same

the little dioramas in the collector's edition box :kimchi:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Octopath Traveler isn't very fun. The random encounter rates are insanely high everywhere, all the bosses are ridiculous HP sponges and take like a half hour to beat, the meandering between each character's story gets irritating pretty fast and hearing the exact same battle dialogue every turn gets old really loving fast.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Collapsing Farts posted:

For every moderately successful streamer there are a million dorks not earning poo poo while they waste away in their moms basement

Basically.

Streaming is right up there with acting and sports when it comes to "making it". Everyone glamorizes the relative few who find big success and generally don't think about the Failed Legions trailing behind them.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

Basically.

Streaming is right up there with acting and sports when it comes to "making it". Everyone glamorizes the relative few who find big success and generally don't think about the Failed Legions trailing behind them.
I'll never feel bad for anyone who's currently failing to earn a living playing videogames all day

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Collapsing Farts posted:

I'm working on becoming a successful forums post writer.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Chomp8645 posted:

Basically.

So everything where being successful is not only fun but lucrative then. Its not like people are out there dreaming of becoming accountants.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I think I'm being misunderstood so let me clarify. My point was not to draw attention to the plight of the Noble Streamer, toiling away in the speedrun mines. I was more reacting to sentiments like "oh man if I could go back in time I'd tell myself to become really good at DOTA and be a famous streamer", as if streaming is just something you get into one day and the money rolls in.

Like that's just not how it goes. You might as well say "just become a professional basketball player". Like sure, you can try, but there are legions of people trying to do that and most don't make it, and even those who did were usually just scraping by for years on end before breaking through.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If I could go back in time I'd invest heavily in amazon and google

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

OTOH I have a couple of friends who just turn on their stream and webcam whenever they happen to be playing PC games; none of them have more than 20-30 followers but they're all making like $25-50 a week off of it, which is beer/weed money for literally doing nothing special.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

the whole act of Maintaining Viewer Engagement is still distracting enough I wouldn't want it to get in the way of the experience

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Jerry Cotton posted:

It isn't even good but only because of the time limit. Without the limit it would be great.

e: Oops wrong thread, sorry.

Nice, I bet you complain about Majora's Mask's completely benign time limit too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ruffian Price posted:

the whole act of Maintaining Viewer Engagement is still distracting enough I wouldn't want it to get in the way of the experience

The other thing is that successful streaming is basically a full time job in itself.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Private Cumshoe posted:

Nice, I bet you complain about Majora's Mask's completely benign time limit too

I will: Majora's Mask sucks. Im not sure which I like less, it or Breath of the Wild but I know I dont like either one.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

I will: Majora's Mask sucks. Im not sure which I like less, it or Breath of the Wild but I know I dont like either one.

every 3d Zelda sucks

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were the low point in the series.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Theres absolutely no reason a Zelda game should take more than 12 hours. Get your sword get your bow get your bombs do 3 dungeons rinse and repeat 4 years later.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

every 3d Zelda sucks

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
That little elf guy's name is Zelda. gently caress off with that 'Link' bollocks.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Halo theme deserved a better game

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

JollyBoyJohn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpj_mbP1oHg

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C0GiQUs2z9k

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VntgNYu2U8c&t=19s

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to become Brad Pitt

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Snow Cone Capone posted:

OTOH I have a couple of friends who just turn on their stream and webcam whenever they happen to be playing PC games; none of them have more than 20-30 followers but they're all making like $25-50 a week off of it, which is beer/weed money for literally doing nothing special.

Most streamers seem to play for hours which requires having apparently hours during the day to play videogames? I could do that when I was a 20 something college slacker but I'm not sure how people do that as adults if they got jobs and anything AT ALL else going on in their lives

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Come watch me play, m'lard.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Game streams are weird because both the creators and the viewers are all fat, smelly, and unpleasant.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Let's plays are weird because both the creators and the viewers are all fat, smelly, and unpleasant.

it is what it is

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Zzulu posted:

Most streamers seem to play for hours which requires having apparently hours during the day to play videogames? I could do that when I was a 20 something college slacker but I'm not sure how people do that as adults if they got jobs and anything AT ALL else going on in their lives

That's what I thought too but one of them is on Steam for like 90 minutes a day tops, and the other somehow (and I swear I'm not making this up) streams cell phone games and actually has an audience

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's kind of crazy looking back on when reality TV first became a thing and everyone was like "welp, entertainment has hit rock bottom", but if you look at game streamers and Youtubers it turns out that wasn't even remotely true. In fact it can drop to depths that people wouldn't even find fathomable 15 years ago.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

It's kind of crazy looking back on when reality TV first became a thing and everyone was like "welp, entertainment has hit rock bottom", but if you look at game streamers and Youtubers it turns out that wasn't even remotely true. In fact it can drop to depths that people wouldn't even find fathomable 15 years ago.

Eh I'd say reality TV is still far worse than streamers. Put a gun to my head and I'd rather watch a nerd make bad jokes while playing video games in his room, over the scum of the earth you see on poo poo like Real Housewives or Honey Boo Boo.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'll watch a youtuber thing but i can't imagine watching a lets play live, theres like massive amounts of boring downtime and stuff, watching dudes gently caress with menus and say and do nothing interesting at all

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Sad to say it but even the Taxman sucks poo poo at streaming. I recently tried watching him play the Lust From Beyond demo and it was terrible. Yeah dude, the pipes sorta sound like Chewbacca when you flush the toilet. No, you don't need to spend two minutes contemplating it.
Oh good, you're gonna look at the horse again. Spend another minute twirling that horse around. It's a pretty nice horse, we get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV8yk_-5NZM

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zzulu posted:

We are mass-producing young people who absolutely nothing else at all going on with their lives at an unprecedented rate

Icochet posted:

That little elf guy's name is Zelda. gently caress off with that 'Link' bollocks.

okay dad

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

I thought :itwaspoo:, especially with Kojima's fixation on arse.

Lines up with Liquid a lot better.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bradzilla posted:

Octopath Traveler isn't very fun. The random encounter rates are insanely high everywhere, all the bosses are ridiculous HP sponges and take like a half hour to beat, the meandering between each character's story gets irritating pretty fast and hearing the exact same battle dialogue every turn gets old really loving fast.

i'm with you on this 100%. octopath traveler was really cool for about five hours

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

The White Dragon posted:

i'm with you on this 100%. octopath traveler was really cool for about five hours

if you sit down in front of a tv and try to play a bunch of hours of octopath traveller, it gets boring real fast, but it's pretty solid as a mobile game - I would play octopath traveller if I had to go on a long boring train ride or play a game on an airplane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

if you sit down in front of a tv and try to play a bunch of hours of octopath traveller, it gets boring real fast, but it's pretty solid as a mobile game - I would play octopath traveller if I had to go on a long boring train ride or play a game on an airplane.

i mean it was five hours spread over like a week. doing everyone's first chapter was pretty good until i'd done like six or seven, and by that point i was getting burned out. but the bosses just got beefier and beefier without ever getting much more strategically interesting, aside from the odd one who doles out weird status ailments that cancel "immune to ailments" buffs and aren't listed in the manual. i tried to power through but i eventually gave up after finishing some character or other's final chapter because it became increasingly obvious that the game was just gonna keep exponentially curving enemy hp up forever.

i'm sorry game but removing weaknesses or making bosses immune to break while their adds are up isn't strategically interesting it's just an irritating roadblock that artificially inflates the encounter

you should be like me, and make bosses who do a final desperation attack at low hp and then become vulnerable and u can enjoy unloading on them with your strongest abilities and claiming an easy, satisfying victory after surviving the hard part

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 11, 2019