Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I liked it though the fighting was a slog but that just seems to be a DA thing. I found it strange how lighthearted and toned down a lot of the themes were compared to Origins, which was dark as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The main story was really good imho, and both Corypheus and especially Solas were/are good antagonists. Inquisition's problems were mostly the side quests, and the needlessly large maps. Plus the combat not being as fun as in Origins or DA2 (the DA2 combat mechanics design was the best in the series, you just nearly never knew it because the encounter design with teleporting waves of trash mobs didn't allow it to shine). The main story is relatively tight, quite fun, and has pretty varied gameplay. Going to the doomed future was cool, Winter Palace was quite fun, even though this part suffers a bit in replays, and the Tempel of Mythal was just very interesting for what it revealed. Trespasser is probably the best DLC they ever released, even more fun than Citadel imho. It should have been part of the base game though, selling the real ending separately is just not okay. And in my opinion, Solas is the best antagonist the series ever had.

In short, Inquisition is a good game, I don't know where you got the impression that it was regarded as a failure.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gobblecoque posted:

Inquisition was pretty bad and it was also like 10x longer/bigger than it had any right to be.

You could chop out 3/4 of Inquisition and lose nothing but improve pacing significantly.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Gobblecoque posted:

Inquisition was pretty bad and it was also like 10x longer/bigger than it had any right to be.

DancingShade posted:

You could chop out 3/4 of Inquisition and lose nothing but improve pacing significantly.

These two points cannot be overstated

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I assume a lot of the extraneous areas are leftovers from when the game had a more multiplayer focus and the loving Hinterlands alone is probably bigger than the entire world map in Anthem.

The three desert maps—Western Approach, Hissing Wastes, and Forbidden Oasis all felt especially redundant.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Skippy McPants posted:

The three desert maps—Western Approach, Hissing Wastes, and Forbidden Oasis all felt especially redundant.

Same in Andromeda (which at least had some plot-based excuse for them). I assume deserts are easier to design or need lower spec machines to run than landscapes with more life, but they really need to recognize how dull they are for players.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
:bioware: Hey great people want a steamlined DA4. Let's re-use the Anthem map and just put everything in that.

Change the terrain? lol no, swap out the foliage and ruined building assets, anyone who pre-orders will be too dumb to notice.

I guess we can change the skybox for another jpeg. Or will that break the engine again? Hey Greg, your team managed to figure out how to change the skybox yet? Oh that guy left last month? Ah well we can leave it alone.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Andromeda at least has managed to provide somewhat interesting challenging combat. So exploring vast emptiness to get that 100% habitability never felt as pointless as DAI's... everything outside of main plot.

I really like DAO and DA2 combat system, I think they're on par with Pillars of Eternity combat. Playing Inquisition, Pathfinder Kingmaker, Tyranny and replaying Baldur's Gate makes you realize that real-time combat in RapG is very easy to make twitchy and boring at the same time.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

ilitarist posted:

Andromeda at least has managed to provide somewhat interesting challenging combat.

Hmmm. I quite enjoy the combat in Andromeda (as I did DAI's) but I don't think I'd describe it as interesting. The only thing it really adds to previous systems is jump jets, and at the same time it severely limits the number of skills you can access at a time unless you're prepared to go through the faff and delay of switching profiles - I've not yet found a build that makes that worthwhile. Plus all the hard battles involve an enemy with an orb that neither your companions nor your abilities will target, so shooting is all you can do.

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 8, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Andromeda, DA:I, and for that matter all of Bioware's combat since maybe BG2 all fall into the same trap of designing cool combat mechanics for the player which they never have any incentive to use because the enemy AI and encounter design is dog poo.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I dunno if folks. I like Dragon Age a ton, and I want to play more Dragon Age. After Andromeda and Anthem, and with DA4's internal development turmoil so far, I feel like I'd rather let the series end with Trespasser than whatever abortion of a game comes next.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'd be happy if Dragon Age ended with Origins. It's been a slippery slide of poo poo since 2009.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I need more, new Dragon Age. There just aren't enough games where you have proper companions and can choose who you want to be.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
The worst part of Inquisition was all the pseudo multiplayer quests.

Btw dragon age 4 wants to be more multiplayer driven.

Looks grim to me.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone pre-emptively created /r/lowsodiumdragonage ?

I don't have a reddit account and gently caress making one.

To be clear, make it a "save haven from all those evil hater troll racist nazi women hating manbabies" or whatever the magic words are by then.

Then after a week or two has passed and everyone is in their safe space, ban the lot of them in one go and nuke the sub.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 8, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

NeurosisHead posted:

I dunno if folks. I like Dragon Age a ton, and I want to play more Dragon Age. After Andromeda and Anthem, and with DA4's internal development turmoil so far, I feel like I'd rather let the series end with Trespasser than whatever abortion of a game comes next.

What does this accomplish? At least if they make DA4, there's a chance that it might be a good game, however small that chance might be. If the series ends with Trespasser, then there won't be another good Dragon Age game. And honestly, I think we all learned our lesson about waiting a bit before buying games that might not be good. If DA4 is bad, I will just not buy it.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Oh dear me posted:

I need more, new Dragon Age. There just aren't enough games where you have proper companions and can choose who you want to be.

So you' ve already played every other BioWare game as well as Obsidian RPGs, all the Shadowrun games, Kingmaker (I don't like it but many do), Divinity 2, Wasteland 2, Expeditions, Avaddon...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Torrannor posted:

What does this accomplish? At least if they make DA4, there's a chance that it might be a good game, however small that chance might be. If the series ends with Trespasser, then there won't be another good Dragon Age game. And honestly, I think we all learned our lesson about waiting a bit before buying games that might not be good. If DA4 is bad, I will just not buy it.

At this point I would trust pretty much any other AAA studio to make the next Dragon Age game. Hell they probably have more of the original team behind Origins than Bioware.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dragon age origins was legit good and bioware hasnt made a good game since

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

ilitarist posted:

So you' ve already played every other BioWare game as well as Obsidian RPGs, all the Shadowrun games, Kingmaker (I don't like it but many do), Divinity 2, Wasteland 2, Expeditions, Avaddon...

I have played most of those but ok, I should also have specified first person. Top down games really don't work for me and fail my 'proper companions' test. I feel as though the characters in such games tend to be more grotesques rather than relatable people, but perhaps it's just that I notice it more with someone I only see from a long way over their heads.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Inquisition was very well-received when it came out, but it suffers from having only six months before Witcher 3's release made everyone go "oh so THAT'S how you do sidequests"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorGonzo posted:

dragon age origins was legit good and bioware hasnt made a good game since

But what about *pauses, thinks, walks out of room*

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mass effect 2 was good you edgelords

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

DA2 has lazy design and Andromeda was aggressively mediocre, but aside from Anthem (I haven’t played Anthem) BioWare has yet to make a game I see as “bad.” Despite there internal struggles their games have still been consistently average to excellent. Do I prefer their “older games?” Absolutely. But DA2 and especially Andromeda get way too much hate. DA2 actually deserves a lower score, maybe a 5.5 or 6/10, but I’d rate Andromeda at a solid 7/10.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Inquisition's actual content is pretty solid. I enjoyed it. The problem is there's a poo poo ton of filler.

I wish Bioware would just go back to doing what they do best which is making a DA:O/Kotor style game where they don't focus on having huge open world areas and instead focus on having 4-5 well done city/town hubs.

Or if they insist on doing the open world areas then take a page out of The Witcher's book and actually write some interesting content and don't do 10 bear asses.

They absolutely can write interesting content because the core quests in each new area in DA:I are generally pretty good/interesting. The problem is those quests are like 10% of those areas and the other 90% is filler stuff.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

DA2 has lazy design and Andromeda was aggressively mediocre, but aside from Anthem (I haven’t played Anthem) BioWare has yet to make a game I see as “bad.” Despite there internal struggles their games have still been consistently average to excellent. Do I prefer their “older games?” Absolutely. But DA2 and especially Andromeda get way too much hate. DA2 actually deserves a lower score, maybe a 5.5 or 6/10, but I’d rate Andromeda at a solid 7/10.

Did you play Andromeda at release? They did a considerable amount of work to paper over the worst cracks, and a decent chunk of its low review aggregate comes from people pissed at just how shoddy it was at launch.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 8, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Skippy McPants posted:

Did you play Andromeda at release? They did a considerable amount of work to paper over the worst cracks, and a decent chunk of its low review aggregate comes from people pissed at just how shoddy it was at launch.

I played Andromeda during the 10 hour trial they had before the game was released. So I saw the warts and all. And while it was definitely pretty bad at points, it wasn't near as bad or meme worthy as the internet made it out to be.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Ginette Reno posted:

Inquisition's actual content is pretty solid. I enjoyed it. The problem is there's a poo poo ton of filler.

I wish Bioware would just go back to doing what they do best which is making a DA:O/Kotor style game where they don't focus on having huge open world areas and instead focus on having 4-5 well done city/town hubs.

Or if they insist on doing the open world areas then take a page out of The Witcher's book and actually write some interesting content and don't do 10 bear asses.

They absolutely can write interesting content because the core quests in each new area in DA:I are generally pretty good/interesting. The problem is those quests are like 10% of those areas and the other 90% is filler stuff.

Agreed. The compulsion yo make massive maps without bothering to have anything to fill them was the downfall of Inquisition. Trim the areas by half and add at least one more city, and you get a much better experience from the game.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

Without making excuses for Bioware's myriad problems, I don't think it's fair to hold any other developer to CDprojekt high water mark. Not because they're uniquely talented, but just because they are the only company willing to buck the tend and pour massive amounts of time and money into a single-player RPG. Rockstar is the only other major studio I can think of with a similar direction, and even they've shifted to more multiplayer content after GTA Online exploded.

The support for the kind of games CDprojekt is making at the scale they're making them simply does not exist outside that one company.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Don’t forget that EA is demanding that every game be a multiplayer money sink. The company couldn’t care less about single player games: they want something that gives them constant profit as soon as possible.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

I played Andromeda during the 10 hour trial they had before the game was released. So I saw the warts and all. And while it was definitely pretty bad at points, it wasn't near as bad or meme worthy as the internet made it out to be.

Its biggest sin is being just complete boring and forgettable. The open world “move to the closest dot and try to remember what quest it’s attached to when you get there” design was a terrible choice that did the game no favors but even the best parts are just totally unremarkable. I’m a huge BioWare idiot and I’ve replayed the mass effect trilogy more times than I’m willing to admit but I haven’t had any urge to pick up andromeda again after the first run.

Jet packs were cool though

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Skippy McPants posted:

Without making excuses for Bioware's myriad problems, I don't think it's fair to hold any other developer to CDprojekt high water mark. Not because they're uniquely talented, but just because they are the only company willing to buck the tend and pour massive amounts of time and money into a single-player RPG. Rockstar is the only other major studio I can think of with a similar direction, and even they've shifted to more multiplayer content after GTA Online exploded.

The support for the kind of games CDprojekt is making at the scale they're making them simply does not exist outside that one company.

Yeah I don't know enough about the economics of making games to say why CDprojekt can do that and succeed.

But I wish all gaming studios did it that way. That's not to say the Witcher has no filler content as it does but compared to DA:I or a lot of other games it's just night and day in terms of the amount of quality well-written content.

And it's not that I think Bioware lacks the writers. When they bother to put effort into areas/quests in DA:I they do a pretty good job! But clearly the development focus was on on adding lots of padding and having the open world feel.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Andromeda sucked in a major way because the protagonist was terrible. There is nothing cool about Ryder.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Andromeda sucked in a major way because the protagonist was terrible. There is nothing cool about Ryder.

That was exactly what I loved about Ryder. Ryder is not Commander Badass McJesus Shepard. Ryder is a clueless nerd in so far over her head that she can't see sunlight, and gets no respect from anyone - and rightfully so!

Ryder felt like she earned the respect she got by the end of the game, more than any other recent Bioware protagonist.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ainsley McTree posted:

Its biggest sin is being just complete boring and forgettable. The open world “move to the closest dot and try to remember what quest it’s attached to when you get there” design was a terrible choice that did the game no favors but even the best parts are just totally unremarkable. I’m a huge BioWare idiot and I’ve replayed the mass effect trilogy more times than I’m willing to admit but I haven’t had any urge to pick up andromeda again after the first run.

Jet packs were cool though

We're in the same boat then. I still replay the ME trilogy and have yet to finish Andromeda. As I said above, it is aggressively mediocre. But it's definitely not a bad game either. It's not meme worthy or anything really. It's just kinda...there.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cythereal posted:

That was exactly what I loved about Ryder. Ryder is not Commander Badass McJesus Shepard. Ryder is a clueless nerd in so far over her head that she can't see sunlight, and gets no respect from anyone - and rightfully so!

Ryder felt like she earned the respect she got by the end of the game, more than any other recent Bioware protagonist.

I do love the interaction female Ryder has with Jaal when he rhetorically asks how eyeballs work. She gives him a truncated physiology lecture and he's like, "lol what a nerd."

Male Ryder answers the same question with "I dunno bro" because he's a dumb-poo poo rent-a-cop.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If bad dialogue, glitched out t-posed characters and Ryder making thizz faces at the camera isn't meme-worthy in today's internet then I don't know what is.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Also, a hearty lol @ Ryder not actually discovering anything that hasn't already been settled.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Ainsley McTree posted:

Mass effect 2 was good you edgelords

Not really and it showed all the cracks forming.

It was slick and polished and technically solid though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Not really and it showed all the cracks forming.

It was slick and polished and technically solid though.

That’s more in hindsight than anything. On its own, the game was great, but Bioware clearly had no idea what to do with the narrative after that and scrapped most of the big hints that the game was building towards in a misguided attempt to appeal to newcomers at the tail end of a trilogy. It lead to the infamous :speculate: thanks to poor project management and unrealistic deadlines that lead them to not even having an ending written three months until the shipping date. Features that, sadly, now almost define the company.