Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/doubleemmartin/status/1125792809074561026?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

Someone make an effort OP and gently caress the guy with the Australian avatar who did otherwise

You get the thread you deserve.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

pokeyman posted:

I’ve picked up a couple good book recommendations here and would totally attempt to engage in some kind of book-of-the-two-months thing. Could be history, politics, social justice, media, entertainment; national, provincial, local. Maybe try to pick things where there’s a thread expert on the topic who can answer some dumber questions and point to further readings.

I'm into this as I've been trying to read as much indigenous and Canadian labour history as I can lately so I got some recs. Waiting on my copy of peace and good order to arrive as I finished Clearing the Plains recently.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I've been slowly chipping away at Clearing the Plains during my downtime at work. It's a nice read but not really telling me anything I don't already know to some extent. It's well researched and sourced though so I enjoy tracking down the references and reading them myself if something jumps out at me. A good jumping off point for people interested in how the Canadian government treated Indigenous people in Canada.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I recently read Metis and the Medicine Line by Michel Hogue and really enjoyed. It provides an interesting and well researched narrative of the formation of a number of important 'lines'. The physical national boundary in the west as the Metis moved across it to trade, undercutting the territorial control of the national governments. National identity, as many Metis had connections to both countries, and lived in the area before either country, and sought protections and benefits from both governments. And racial identity, as the national governments began to push indigenous people into reserves and treaties, and realized that they didn't want to treat Metis as an indigenous group with rights to land, but also didn't want to consider them white. Highly recommended.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Duck Rodgers posted:

I recently read Metis and the Medicine Line by Michel Hogue and really enjoyed. \
Oh hey that was my indigenous history professor for like, three years. If you ever have a chance to attend a lecture by him, do so. He's great.

Panderfringe fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 7, 2019

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
king helsing, put the axe to food chat. my stomach can barely handle the tepid centrism the occasional coward drags in here, no need for me to read sbout the malignant slop you gluttons force down your gullet.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Utgardaloki posted:

king helsing, put the axe to food chat. my stomach can barely handle the tepid centrism the occasional coward drags in here, no need for me to read sbout the malignant slop you gluttons force down your gullet.

Rise up and fight the corn syrup; return to the fields and embrace a wholesome life.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/ColinDMello/status/1125857526749245440

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
You've got to appreciate the attention to detail from whoever looked at the finished guillotine and thought "hold on, we still need some red spray paint on the blade!"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
That is some quality craftsmanship, for sure.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

She’s a goddamn national hero. Send her some love @TorontoNaomi

The image of the guillotine makes the rich and their pet politicians so uncomfortable because they know what they’re doing is wrong. They should see it daily.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

littleorv posted:

I've been slowly chipping away at Clearing the Plains during my downtime at work. It's a nice read but not really telling me anything I don't already know to some extent. It's well researched and sourced though so I enjoy tracking down the references and reading them myself if something jumps out at me. A good jumping off point for people interested in how the Canadian government treated Indigenous people in Canada.

I feel like there are three main thrusts to Daschuk's argument. The first is to complicate the narrative that it was as simple as Europeans showing up and the various indigenous nations, especially the Plains Cree, having no immunities. Rather, there were three distinct phases of diseases (smallpox, measles, and tuberculosis) which each spread for particular reasons. The second, and I suspect this is the most forceful one, is that disease was not something that just happened, but (especially in the case of tuberculosis) spread as the result of government-enforced famine. (Relatedly, I don't know if you're there yet, but the "peasant farming" stuff was something I had no idea about.) The third thrust is that the various waves of famine and disease substantially affected the shape and nature of the plains Indigenous nations.

I mean, in broad strokes, we probably all know the story and can easily intuit the rest. What Clearing the Plains does is provide the details that tie together the natural catastrophe, their unnatural causes, and how government action affected the outcome of those catastrophes. After all, he pointedly invokes Amartya Sen's arguments about how famines are rarely (and recently never) about true shortage, but rather problems of distribution.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

So are the identities of the guillotine protestors known or could they be right wing plants

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

EngineerJoe posted:

So are the identities of the guillotine protestors known or could they be right wing plants

lmao

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

BGrifter posted:

The image of the guillotine makes the rich and their pet politicians so uncomfortable because they know what they’re doing is wrong. They should see it daily.

I’m pretty sure politicians and rich people think what they’re doing is okay.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Doug just really loving hates Toronto huh

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/city-funding-estimates-100m-1.5126402

quote:

Province slashing funds for Tourism Toronto, city estimates $100M total shortfall from funding changes

Mayor John Tory says 'significant number' could mean 'host of cutbacks'

The city is estimating a shortfall "well north" of $100 million for 2019 because of the province's recent funding cuts, which now include Premier Doug Ford's government completely eliminating provincial funding for Tourism Toronto, CBC Toronto has learned.

After revealing the grand total on Tuesday, Mayor John Tory called it "a very significant number."

He said the shortfall amounts to one of two options: Either a "host of cutbacks," or a three-point increase in property tax — but for the latter, the 2019 rate was already set during the city's budget process earlier this year.

The revelation comes amid rising tension between the city and Premier Doug Ford's government over a variety of sweeping funding changes to child care and public health, and an end to a planned hike in municipalities' share of gas tax revenue that was expected to provide roughly $1 billion to Toronto over the next decade.

On Tuesday, non-profit industry association Tourism Toronto also revealed its provincial funding will be "fully eliminated" by 2020, which amounts to a loss of more $9 million annually, with some transitional funding set aside for the remainder of this year.

Andrew Weir, the organization's executive vice-president for destination development, said that amounts to roughly a quarter of the current budget, with the city making up the other three-quarters by collecting a hotel tax.

Weir said there's "nothing on paper," though provincial officials did confirm to CBC Toronto that there is a funding reduction for the office in the 2019 budget.

The province will also be "rolling out our 2019 Ontario Tourism Strategy in the coming months," said Brett Weltman, a spokesperson for the ministry.

Weir said the changes follow a record-breaking tourism year in 2017, which saw 43 million visitors in the area last year, who spent more than $8.8 billion.

While the funding cut won't prevent Tourism Toronto from operating, it will mean the organization may have to choose between which tourism opportunities, like international conferences, it can bring to the city, he added.

Don Peat, a spokesperson for the mayor's office, noted increased tourism to the region has helped generate revenue and jobs for the province.

"It's hard to argue the province is open for business when it is cutting funding dedicated to telling the world to visit Ontario," he said.

Difficult for city to 'precisely' determine total impact

Now, even as all these funding changes add up, the city still has only a rough ballpark estimate for the total impact.

That's because it's difficult for staff to "precisely" name a grand total with provincial officials not offering specifics during meetings, Tory said.

Most of the discussions and updates have been verbal — not in writing — he added, which Tory said does give him hope there may be room for changes.

Board of health chair Joe Cressy, an outspoken critic of recent funding changes to Toronto Public Health, agreed. "Given the breadth of outrage, and the diversity of geographical and political opposition to these public health cuts, I'm hopeful they will reverse course," he added.

Ford fires back

However, Premier Doug Ford is showing no signs of backing down. Following Tory's remarks at city hall on Tuesday, he fired back against city officials in a statement, suggesting Toronto has room to find efficiencies instead of letting "waste fester."

"The City of Toronto spends millions of dollars watering dead tree stumps, hundreds of thousands of dollars on car fleets that are collecting dust, and uses public health resources to conduct 'shade audits' of public parks," Ford said in the statement.

"And, let's not forget, the councillors down at City Hall just recently voted to double their office budgets."

Those doubled staffing budgets were in response to another cut from the province — the mid-campaign slashing of Toronto's council from a planned 47 members to 25, which later led elected officials to beef up their budgets post-election to handle the demands of the larger wards.

Ford ended his statement with a dig directed at the mayor: "If John Tory spent as much time going through the city's finances as he does worrying about the colour of the Toronto sign, he would be able to find some efficiencies and deliver some value for taxpayers' dollars," he wrote.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

EngineerJoe posted:

Given how much a lot of goons in this thread fantasize about guillotines is it really that much of a stretch that some protesters show up with one.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

mashed_penguin posted:

Given how much a lot of goons in this thread fantasize about guillotines is it really that much of a stretch that some protesters show up with one.

We should replace the maple leaf on the flag with one.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If you dont properly store and lock your guillotine you could accidentally guillotine yourself in the foot or your children might play with your guillotine and we know where that leads.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Maybe we need to found the NGA to lobby for guillotine rights.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Can't wait to hear about the victims of negligent guillotines

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Hand Knit posted:

I feel like there are three main thrusts to Daschuk's argument. The first is to complicate the narrative that it was as simple as Europeans showing up and the various indigenous nations, especially the Plains Cree, having no immunities. Rather, there were three distinct phases of diseases (smallpox, measles, and tuberculosis) which each spread for particular reasons. The second, and I suspect this is the most forceful one, is that disease was not something that just happened, but (especially in the case of tuberculosis) spread as the result of government-enforced famine. (Relatedly, I don't know if you're there yet, but the "peasant farming" stuff was something I had no idea about.) The third thrust is that the various waves of famine and disease substantially affected the shape and nature of the plains Indigenous nations.

I mean, in broad strokes, we probably all know the story and can easily intuit the rest. What Clearing the Plains does is provide the details that tie together the natural catastrophe, their unnatural causes, and how government action affected the outcome of those catastrophes. After all, he pointedly invokes Amartya Sen's arguments about how famines are rarely (and recently never) about true shortage, but rather problems of distribution.

In addition to this, there’s a neat little extension where the government chose to back the medicinal theory that stood to save them money. A lot of doctors understood that squalid living conditions is a breeding ground for TB while the government opted to stick with the older interpretation that ________ (can’t remember specifically what their counter theory was). Which is “cool” in the sense it’s kinda like anti-climate change stuff going on today - willful obfuscation for material gain.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/robertbenzie/status/1125879642022453251?s=21

I’m all the incredulous replies going bUt HE’s a coNseRVATIVE!!!111!11!1

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Actually no, I’m the people who seriously think a crusty snot rag like John Tory can beat Doug lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'm the people who've forgotten how incredibly useless he was both as leader of OPC and mayor of Toronto

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/SueAnnLevy/status/1125904161491566592

Words fail me

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

infernal machines posted:

I'm the people who've forgotten how incredibly useless he was both as leader of OPC and mayor of Toronto

Bitch I'm riding SmartTrack to the Scarborough subway right now.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Stickarts posted:

In addition to this, there’s a neat little extension where the government chose to back the medicinal theory that stood to save them money. A lot of doctors understood that squalid living conditions is a breeding ground for TB while the government opted to stick with the older interpretation that ________ (can’t remember specifically what their counter theory was). Which is “cool” in the sense it’s kinda like anti-climate change stuff going on today - willful obfuscation for material gain.

I liked learning who was actually trying to help like the various priests and doctors and surprisingly the NWMP. It was a rare break from the government of Canada genociding the indigenous peoples via withholding food and medicine.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

THC posted:

https://twitter.com/robertbenzie/status/1125879642022453251?s=21

I’m all the incredulous replies going bUt HE’s a coNseRVATIVE!!!111!11!1

I actually really hope this happens because it will make every conversation I have about how the Liberals are a conservative party so much easier.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Scheer says he will move Canadian Embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem

https://globalnews.ca/news/5252347/scheer-israel-embassy/

What a wet fart of a human.

gently caress you Sheer.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Hey, it looks like the Liberals are dodging the Norman bullet this fall.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/public-prosecutor-to-drop-breach-of-trust-charge-against-mark-norman-1.4412951

quote:

CTV News has confirmed that the public prosecutor intends to drop the charge of breach of trust against Vice-Admiral Mark Norman.

Norman is scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday in Ottawa, where prosecutors are expected to outline their reasoning behind the dropped charge.

The trial was supposed to start in August, close to the start of the federal election campaign.

Norman served as the second-in-command of the military until he was charged in March 2018 with breach of trust for allegedly leaking cabinet secrets in favour of Quebec-based Davie Shipbuilding in relation to a $700-million shipbuilding contract.

The contract, signed by the Trudeau government in 2015, involved leasing a converted civilian ship to the military as a temporary support vessel.

Norman has denied any wrongdoing and his legal team have argued that the charges he is facing are politically motivated. His lawyers had been trying to access documents to make that case, with the goal of having the case tossed out before heading to trial.

Last week, CTV News reported that outgoing Liberal MP Andrew Leslie was on the witness list to testify, if called, against the government. Leslie, a former lieutenant-general in the military, knows Norman both personally and professionally, but has been instructed not to comment publicly on the matter.

According to court documents, investigators with the RCMP believed two individuals worked independently of each other to leak the documents in November 2015.

Matthew Matchett, a suspended official with Public Service and Procurement Canada, has also been accused of leaking the documents. In March, Matchett’s lawyers told the court he intends to plead not guilty to his own breach of trust charge.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/billmckibben/st...pagenumber%3D56

lmao stop digging up the goddamn oil you lunatics

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Can we just hire marie henein to run the country, she gets poo poo done

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ontario is open for business provided you're not here for tourism related business.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/bobrae48/status/1126076818296115200?s=21

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It was done by the personal company of one of the VPs of Mainstreet Research.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

eXXon posted:

Bitch I'm riding SmartTrack to the Scarborough subway right now.

Press X to pay respects.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
BC Ed. Chat:

From Facebook -- could be fake news but it's in line with what we've seen so far:

quote:

UPDATE: Here's some more insider info from the Ministry of Educ as was talking with someone working in there and a heads up. Basically, their intention is to drag out the bargaining process as long as possible into the following next year expecting the teachers to eventually strike instead of trying to settle right away by end of June. Thus seen from the late bargaining start and stalling tactics.

Then later they'll say they tried to bargain in good faith by giving time and dragging out the process. They may try to throw some breadcrumbs here and there as an incentive to try to drag out the bargaining process. Prevalence funding and cuts to the arts, music, etc. electives are coming. Rob Fleming has been a dismal failure so far. Remember during the last strike, on TV, the NDP were all going out to the picket lines supporting the teachers.

Now, they are about to do something that the BC Liberals have never done before and could be on the verge of doing so, which is to backstab their very supporters and backers, the teachers. Very unfortunate. I would suggest the teachers and public to contact their MLA's this month and prepare to save up and go on strike this summer or September as the ministry isn't even bothering to listen and planning to carry out the BC Liberal/BCPSEA agenda unfortunately.

From the BCTF:

quote:

The BCTF Bargaining Team needs your help

With only seven weeks to go until the end of the school year and the expiration of our current collective agreement, your provincial bargaining team needs your help. We need to take action now, so we don’t have to escalate later.

The Bargaining Team needs you to email your local NDP MLA and ask them to get the current demands for concessions off the table and increase the funding available to get a deal.

If you don’t have an NDP MLA, you can email the Premier.

Currently, the BC Public School Employers’ Association has made proposals that would undo our court win on class size, composition, and specialist staffing ratios. This would mean layoffs in more than half of BC’s school districts.

The specifics are still confidential, but members can access them by reading the bargaining updates on the MyBCTF portal.

If we’re going to get good deal by the end of June, the Bargaining Team needs your help to convince MLAs to pressure their team to change course and increase the funding.

There’s a simple online form ready for you to send that email. It’s loaded up and ready to go with a standard message. You can also add your own story before hitting “send.” The Minister of Education and the Minister of Finance will be copied on your email as well.

Let’s show this government that teachers stand behind our Bargaining Team.

Send the email today and let’s get those concessions off the table!

Glen Hansman
BCTF President

My money is on a strike.

just another fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I just saw a listing of all the class cancellations at my old high school. Economics, world issues, personal finance + planning, bunch of music classes, Spanish and german classes, writer's craft, astronomy + space exploration.

I'm trying not to go all tin-foil hat here but if I were a conservative politician and wanted to create a group of people likely to vote conservative in the future, those are a big list of classes I'd want to cut.