Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'd like a reality TV show that just films actors watching their own films for the first time. Like that scene from the phantom menace documentary of all the producers thousand yard staring at the final cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

WatermelonGun posted:

which is bullshit. part of the appeal of alien is that bad things might just be waiting for you in the dark and then the two new movies have just turned it into some Frankenstein poo poo

except it's the exact same bad thing waiting in the dark in every movie, just a different group of people it's waiting for

like, Scott's not wrong that you get diminishing returns from that after six straight movies; people don't look at the Xenomorph as some kind of horrifying abomination, they look at it as an action movie mook, and there's not really any way to get around that unless you're doing something totally different and weird (like Prometheus, and to a lesser extent Covenant)

that said, though, I don't actually like Prometheus very much (I'd put it about even with Resurrection- they're both ropey and weird movies, but still, like, watchable) and Covenant only really improved on it by being pretty and having a fuckload of gore so I don't really care about dying on this hill

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I think that’s where the films’ focus on David pays off. Though it really sucks that Noomi Rapace’s character was killed off screen, I think her arc could have gone in interesting directions.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

El_Elegante posted:

I’m on page 9 so far but is it ever explained why op consistently abbreviates the Weyland-Yutani corporation as WT? Is the alcoholic encephalopathy finally taking over?

It is a Y, not a T.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Nah, just make aliens claustrophobic and more mysterious and we'd be fine. Make the characters competent and serious. Make them overwhelmed despite technology and sound decision making. Take your time and film it like a neo-noir like a Craig Zahler film, let the characters breath in each scene and have the dread palpable. Make the violence spectacular, something special, an outre with huge shock value to slap the audience awake.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Owlbear Camus posted:

hey what's the source of alien_door_tape.gif?

You know what? I'm curious about this too.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Instead of something comedic like when she slips on the blood for the third time or the dog aliens skittering through tall grass and the David coming out like a Jedi lmao.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

except it's the exact same bad thing waiting in the dark in every movie, just a different group of people it's waiting for

like, Scott's not wrong that you get diminishing returns from that after six straight movies; people don't look at the Xenomorph as some kind of horrifying abomination, they look at it as an action movie mook, and there's not really any way to get around that unless you're doing something totally different and weird (like Prometheus, and to a lesser extent Covenant)

that said, though, I don't actually like Prometheus very much (I'd put it about even with Resurrection- they're both ropey and weird movies, but still, like, watchable) and Covenant only really improved on it by being pretty and having a fuckload of gore so I don't really care about dying on this hill
"Aliens are monsters created by ancient precursors who also made all this other terrifying poo poo" is a perfectly fine evolution of the franchise. The problem with Prometheus is literally everything else about Prometheus.

Similarly "We're basically making Alien but with more kinds of Alien" is a perfectly fine premise for Covenant but instead we got sad androids playing the flute

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Joe Chill posted:

It is a Y, not a T.

Are you dense? Yes the logo I posted is clearly a W and a Y, I am calling out the dumbass op who got it wrong

Pennywise the Frown posted:

WT wants a weapon they can train to kill other people.

WT cut the budget and put a handful of Marines into a billion dollar vessel.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

El_Elegante posted:

Are you dense? Yes the logo I posted is clearly a W and a Y, I am calling out the dumbass op who got it wrong

Dude it is Y. What's your problem

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

El_Elegante posted:

I think her arc could have gone in interesting directions.

Considering Resurrection did the whole trying to get an alien out of a mixed DNA sample from a human implanted with an embryo I was honestly expecting a lot more on the experimentation side of things. I mean if you're going to utterly destroy the myth of a movie creature then why not go balls deep, right? Instead we got David flirting with his robot twin, the annihilation of all other humanoid life on the planet and the admittedly funny moment where James Franco gets burned alive in his sleep pod.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I do love the complete disdain the last two movies had for risk-loving individuals. Logan Marshall Green and James Franco’s characters both get played up as these adventurous extreme sports types and things just go massively wrong for them.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Glenn Quebec posted:

Dude it is Y. What's your problem

do you see the letters WT in the posts I quoted

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

El_Elegante posted:

do you see the letters WT in the posts I quoted

I don't know why you keep bringing it up, we know it's Weyland Yutani, why do you keep bringing up T??

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
that’s not what I asked

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I did enjoy Logan's character being a bible basher then getting mutated by the goo and burned alive in front of Noomi. WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

I'd argue one of the main reasons Prometheus is an unfocused mess is because the movie sits firmly on the fence between being an Alien prequel and being an original sf movie.

Like there is no satisfying connection in Prometheus to make it meaningful if you're a fan of the original. But it is enough of a connection to drag the movie down so the filmmakers can not do their own thing. All the more original, interesting stuff in the early scripts are written out or vaguely refered too.

It seems all the sequels after Aliens had massive script problems too.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

people still watch slasher movies even though we all know it's just some guy in a mask with a knife. He's not wrong that the whole 'canon' thing pop sci-fi falls into where no sequel can ever do anything that wasn't in the first handful of movies is a terrible creative dead end, but he's dead wrong in putting all the creative focus into new gimmicks, not presentation.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
The early script also had David “teaching himself trinary code” and ditches Lawrence of Arabia for a stereotyped AI revolt plot. I don’t know that it was necessarily better or more interesting.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

Nah, just make aliens claustrophobic and more mysterious and we'd be fine. Make the characters competent and serious. Make them overwhelmed despite technology and sound decision making. Take your time and film it like a neo-noir like a Craig Zahler film, let the characters breath in each scene and have the dread palpable. Make the violence spectacular, something special, an outre with huge shock value to slap the audience awake.

Don’t stop

Please

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

A good sequel does the original again, but bigger, different, and more in general, aliens and t2 are the best examples. They go to a lot of similar places and similar set pieces but they outdo the originals in scale, spectacle and scope. Despite the nearly identical structure people are so thrilled by the movies they don't even realize it on the first watch. I think there should just not be a third sequel in almost every case, there are limits to how far you can go before you hit self-parody, and only franchises that embrace that (nightmare on elm st comes to mind) should really keep going at that point

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Jay_Zombie posted:

You know what? I'm curious about this too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7apw7IEqfI
Warning: stupid

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

El_Elegante posted:

The early script also had David “teaching himself trinary code” and ditches Lawrence of Arabia for a stereotyped AI revolt plot. I don’t know that it was necessarily better or more interesting.

Don't get me wrong, it is still a poo poo script.

Atleast we would have known why the engineers were trying to kill everybody.

Edit: I'm talking about Lindelof's early draft, it is a fake, apparently.

Joe Chill fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 8, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

purple death ray posted:

I think there should just not be a third sequel in almost every case, there are limits to how far you can go before you hit self-parody, and only franchises that embrace that (nightmare on elm st comes to mind) should really keep going at that point

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade :colbert:

But yeah the fact that I'm wracking my brain for a second example probably proves your point.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Owlbear Camus posted:

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade :colbert:

But yeah the fact that I'm wracking my brain for a second example probably proves your point.

Indiana Jones got the bad one out of the way with the second movie so they got a mulligan on a decent sequel

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Thank you so much for posting that. I always remember the "SEND IN THE MARINES!" part of it.

:hmmyes: I'm actually playing a game right now so I turned on Alien 3 in the background. Maybe I'll pick something up via osmosis.

Speaking of the game, I'm playing Colonial Marines the Stasis Interrupted. Someone mentioned it a few pages ago I think. I didn't even know there was a new campaign until they mentioned it. I'm too lazy to look for the post but they mentioned it being great. Well I'm just about 5 or so minutes into it and it's pretty great. You have no weapons and are currently just trying to get out of there. There were a few jump scares that genuinely got me.

If anyone has Aliens: CM check it out.

edit: Whats the deal with the aliens controls in A:CM? Is it for multiplayer or something?

edit 2: Finished the Stasis Interrupted campaign. Wasn't too bad. The beginning was nice I guess because it felt a bit like Isolation. There is a ton of dialog of Michael Biehn. A bit of Lance Hendrickson too.

Stasis Interrupted is noticeably better than the main campaign I have to agree. ACM is an interesting one because despite Gearbox being a bunch of dishonest assholes and the general slap dash nature of the game (esp. the likes of the AI typo) its clear that there were at least some people involved who really cared about the film. The game absolutely nails environments such as the Sulaco, Hadleys Hope/LV-426 and the derelict. With the appropriate graphics mods its not a bad looking game either.

The sound design is absolutely on point as well - I don't think the Pulse Rifle has ever sounded better in any other Aliens/AvP title - its pretty much the only game aside from AvP 1999 that I don't feel compelled to install a sound mod for. The soundtrack is very good, and takes just as many cues from Alien as it does Aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC-zrsYzKxM

Unfortunately even with graphical upgrades and mods that make it a damned sight better than how it started out, the game just has far too much human vs human combat, too much co-op bullshit that leaks into the single player experience (nothing says tension after just barely surviving a xeno attack than a massive "RANK UP!" graphic appear over your HUD), and constant "WOOOO MARINES OO-RAH TO ASHES SEMPER FI". I seem to remember the marines in the movie were a lot more cynical.

The first time I played ACM was at launch with the first patch installed, and I'm now going through it with the ACM Overhaul v5 mod installed running ultra quality Master Effects/Reshade, and its gone from "this is pretty terrible" to "this isn't that bad".

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Joe Chill posted:

I'd argue one of the main reasons Prometheus is an unfocused mess is because the movie sits firmly on the fence between being an Alien prequel and being an original sf movie.

Like there is no satisfying connection in Prometheus to make it meaningful if you're a fan of the original. But it is enough of a connection to drag the movie down so the filmmakers can not do their own thing. All the more original, interesting stuff in the early scripts are written out or vaguely refered too.

It seems all the sequels after Aliens had massive script problems too.

This is my problem with Prometheus. Saddling it with Alien baggage hamstrings the movie without any benefit to itself or ‘Alien’. I think if it had been divorced from Alien completely then Ridley Scott could have really done some unique and scary stuff.

Also the notion that the Space Jockey is a tall guy in a suit, or that David created the Alien, are both profoundly retarded.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

When Ridley Scott says the Alien is played out, it’s really obvious that he hasn’t read ‘Aliens: Labyrinth’. :colbert:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This thread is actually kind of making me want to replay A:CM and I don't know how to feel about that. I've never tried it with the overhaul mods or the AI fix, maybe that's the ticket.

Mostly I just really miss the MP. Maybe what's really going on is I desperately want a good colonial marines game.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xenomrph posted:

When Ridley Scott says the Alien is played out, it’s really obvious that he hasn’t read ‘Aliens: Labyrinth’. :colbert:

Labyrinth is basically doing the same thing as Prometheus/Covenant, just in a different direction

They're both starting from the point of "the Xenomorph isn't inherently scary anymore, ok, so now what do we pile onto the concept that IS scary"

Prometheus/Covenant went with a psychotic God-android and Labyrinth instead turned the body horror dial up to 12

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Labyrinth is basically doing the same thing as Prometheus/Covenant, just in a different direction

They're both starting from the point of "the Xenomorph isn't inherently scary anymore, ok, so now what do we pile onto the concept that IS scary"

Prometheus/Covenant went with a psychotic God-android and Labyrinth instead turned the body horror dial up to 12
I haven't read labyrinth but I have seen sad android and labyrinth was better

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

This is my problem with Prometheus. Saddling it with Alien baggage hamstrings the movie without any benefit to itself or ‘Alien’. I think if it had been divorced from Alien completely then Ridley Scott could have really done some unique and scary stuff.

Probably but it also probably wouldn't have got greenlighted without the recognizable franchise name

Xenomrph posted:

is that the one where David Bowie fights an alien queen

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Splicer posted:

I haven't read labyrinth but I have seen sad android and labyrinth was better

A major plot point in Labyrinth is a hive of diseased hosed up aliens that kidnap a mad scientist and attempt to make him gently caress his dismembered mom to produce more hosts

He refuses and gets implanted with a dead cancer-chestburster that he has to carve out of himself with hand tools

Labyrinth is good but it really makes you appreciate the movies' restraint with :stonk: poo poo, honestly

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
if we're talking straight up good loving Aliens comics you all need to read Dead Orbit right now

it's basically a classic Aliens story, no weird wrinkles anywhere, but the real draw is the loving art, holy poo poo James Stokoe wrecked face on that book

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Here’s a hot take: Prometheus and the first AvP movie are both basically the same movie.

Think about it: both movie feature an elderly guy named Weyland seeking immortality (Charles wants a legacy that outlasts him, Peter wants to literally live forever) and financing science expeditions to strange, ancient structures built by the gods, and in the process they learn that their gods don’t give a poo poo about them and inadvertently release a horrible scourge of scary space monsters.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

if we're talking straight up good loving Aliens comics you all need to read Dead Orbit right now

it's basically a classic Aliens story, no weird wrinkles anywhere, but the real draw is the loving art, holy poo poo James Stokoe wrecked face on that book

I think I need to re-read Dead Orbit, the only thing I remember from it is how every character says “HGK!” over and over all the time.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Lol. Awesome.
Thank you.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Xenomrph posted:

Also the notion that the Space Jockey is a tall guy in a suit, or that David created the Alien, are both profoundly retarded.

If David went to the engineers homeworld and wiped them out and then created the alien why are there thousands of eggs on the engineer spaceship? Did the engineers help him make them? Why did they help him if they already were planning on releasing the black goo on earth and turning everyone into weird Cronenberg monsters? Why were they going to turn everyone into Cronenberg monsters?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
they were going to kill humans because they crucified jesus, according to ridley scott in an interview. i think his brain is atrophied.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Jesus was a Space Jockey and they had seeded earth like, 10k years ago so when we killed Jesus Space Alien Christ they wanted to wipe us out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
That plot point was great.