Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

pidan posted:

Some holy order has a bunch of castles in my lands. I can't throw them out via the intrigue menu, I can't declare a holding war, I can't vassalize them, I don't think I'll be able to forge a claim. I think it's the castles that they build on a (new?) holding slot via event.

Do I need these holdings under my control if I want to do something that requires "controls all of (my area)"? If so, how do I get them?

Don't try this in Ironman cause I'm not certain, but: I believe I have been able to vasalize a holy order by granting them a duchy and then asking to vasalize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

If you give out the bishiphorics before the county, they remain your vassals and you get an opinion hit from the county owner unless you transfer it back. I didnt feel like adding an extra few clicks when I could wait the 2 months until the tax -100 tax modifier dropped and see which county I wanted.

Only if you don’t check the “include lower titles” box when you give them the county (don’t do this for duchies)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it’s fine for duchies too if you have handed out the counties beforehand. i will frequently take like a 4 county duchy, hand out the counties to 4 randos, and then make one of the randos duke. done like that, including lower titles just automatically gives the duke rando the vassals he expects.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coolguye posted:

it’s fine for duchies too if you have handed out the counties beforehand. i will frequently take like a 4 county duchy, hand out the counties to 4 randos, and then make one of the randos duke. done like that, including lower titles just automatically gives the duke rando the vassals he expects.

HIP makes it easy with the grant newly acquired land dealie. Then just choose who gets to be duke, and done.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

GHOST_BUTT posted:

The other thing is that it's almost always better to go tall than wide. Owning the maximum of 5 castle holdings in one county, for instance, means that your Marshal trains X% extra dudes in every castle, your Steward increases tax revenue for every holding, your county modifiers apply to every holding, your mans all spawn in the same spot and don't need to rally, etc. Holding 8 separate counties is significantly less efficient in all of those regards.

If you're having trouble managing dickhead vassals, you can just break up their de jure realms. So for rear end in a top hat counts, you might grant them only the county but not the city and temple vassals, granting those to someone else. They'll generally prioritize consolidating their de jure realms over loving with you, instead endlessly slap fighting with each other.

E: I could also not read the last loving sentence of your last post and look like an idiot, I guess.

That's not strictly true, eepending on the counties. If those 5 counties have a lot of holdings, then you might get more money by holding those counties instead of concentrating your holdings in your capital. Because the all the mayors, bishops and barons pay their taxes to you, instead of paying them to their count who then gives you only a fraction of that money.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I dont know. Personally I like holding a lot of counties. When I play Ireland I hold Mide and Connacht, effectively splitting Ireland in half. If anyone decides to act up, all my troops can group together with no losses and even if every Irish vassal revolts, their troops are split and its twice as easy to win.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

That's not strictly true, eepending on the counties. If those 5 counties have a lot of holdings, then you might get more money by holding those counties instead of concentrating your holdings in your capital. Because the all the mayors, bishops and barons pay their taxes to you, instead of paying them to their count who then gives you only a fraction of that money.

On the other hand, you will have a smaller personal levy if you build wide due to tech disparities between the counties as well as a less efficient marshal when you park him on your capital, which makes you less able to control a larger number of vassals. Later in the game having the levies is more important and the money coming directly from one mayor instead of indirectly is inconsequential. But there are definitely times when wide is better.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

They ever patch it so a viceroy can't create inheritable territories?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Tfw I get an immortal genius ruler and i join the satanists real quick to fix his face. And then the game bugs out because i asked for promotion and the leader died while considering it and now I can never rank up in any society. Johann help its ironman

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Average Bear posted:

Tfw I get an immortal genius ruler and i join the satanists real quick to fix his face. And then the game bugs out because i asked for promotion and the leader died while considering it and now I can never rank up in any society. Johann help its ironman

Kill you are family with a burning bull

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You can do pretty well building wide. I accidentally disbanded my retinues, so I'm building them back up. But I have 5.6k troops and around 5k in retinues.

Then you factor in tributary armies and you're sittin pretty.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

so this is the basic meta that goes behind the what to hold setup, according to me anyway:

you will only ever get a maximum of 5 castles in a specific county (7 max holdings - 1 temple - 1 city). you want to make your capitol county one that is coastal (so you get boats) and one that has either max holdings or close to it. you want those 5 castles. full stop. no argument. after you build that county up you will probably be able to raise 10k+ dudes from that one county. that level of power is always, always, always to be pursued. just having that many dudes makes vassals a thousand times easier to handle.

beyond that, the question becomes what demense level you are comfortable with. i tend to prefer 10 - it's a fair bit without relying on the ruler's skills too much. at that point you aim to hold your entire capitol duchy up to that target, and fill in castles to make sure you get there (you still get a bonus for your capitol duchy, it's just not as much - 25% vs 50%). then you aggressively fill the rest of your holdings in that duchy with cities. lots and lots of cities. then after all of THAT is full, you 'obtain' titles to cities that are owned by someone far away (precisely how is irrelevant, just make sure that the city's de jure liege is not your direct vassal) and make all of the mayors right under you into supermayors. they will be over their demense limit unless they have 7+ stewardship but it doesn't matter. the amount of money they bring in will still be up overall and that means the amount of money they bring YOU is up overall. and as long as the guy you're offending isn't your direct vassal his opinion doesn't matter to you.

you can do the same thing with the couple of temples you have if you want but eh.

beyond that if you are still talking about money what you want is a vassal merchant republic.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
There are ways to get 7 baronies in one county. I dont know the trick, but I know for sure it can happen.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are ways to get 7 baronies in one county. I dont know the trick, but I know for sure it can happen.

Raze all of the holdings as a tribal and then settle?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

You'd still have to build a city and a temple before you could build more castles. I guess there's the event I haven't seen in a long time where you get a cheap castle, and the events for giving some land to a holy order, but that seems like a lot of waiting.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

As a player who has put maybe 5-6 hours in this game and still finds it mostly impenetrable, I've decided to give the Game of Thrones mod a try. I love the ASOIAF books. So far, this seems a bit easier than the normal game, if for no other reason that I know who the people are. What are some fun time periods/rules to play as? I tend to start a War of Five Kings game and just mash random ruler until the difficulty goes down, but then I end up in some weird corner not knowing what to do.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I cannot for the life of me get the GoT mod to work for some reason. Tried rolling back the update version and disabling a few of the recent DLCs, and it still crashes once the progress bar on the loading screen is full :smith:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Crow Jane posted:

I cannot for the life of me get the GoT mod to work for some reason. Tried rolling back the update version and disabling a few of the recent DLCs, and it still crashes once the progress bar on the loading screen is full :smith:

I had the exact same issue until I realized I wasn't installing the very latest version. I think it's up to like 9.1 or something now, can't remember, but once I updated it works fine.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Crow Jane posted:

They are updating the mod and redoing the map to show the new location of Kings Landing.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

chaosapiant posted:

As a player who has put maybe 5-6 hours in this game and still finds it mostly impenetrable, I've decided to give the Game of Thrones mod a try. I love the ASOIAF books. So far, this seems a bit easier than the normal game, if for no other reason that I know who the people are. What are some fun time periods/rules to play as? I tend to start a War of Five Kings game and just mash random ruler until the difficulty goes down, but then I end up in some weird corner not knowing what to do.

if you're willing to try mods give the after the end fan fork a try, it's set in future north/central america which might help with the layer of historical impenetrability

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

chaosapiant posted:

Good luck to ya. I've heard it's a bit more complicated than vanilla with some of the extra mechanics they've added.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Good luck to ya. I've heard it's a bit more complicated than vanilla with some of the extra mechanics they've added.

It probably is, but because I'm much more familiar with the lore than I am with real world history, it seems to be helping.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

My biggest advice to you is to know who is one of your vassals and always be bribing them.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is it generally considered easier to learn if you start as a King or Lord and have more land and options, or as a count of a smaller county so there's less to manage?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I learned as an Duke in Ireland. You're not too small to stand up for yourself, and you have room to expand and take the full Kingdom. Even when you get the full Kingdom, it's not an endless expanse of territory surrounded by villains. You get the full gambit of play, but you're not being overrun by the HRE or heathens and you're not beholden to a bad liege's wars and politics.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So what exactly counts as a Major Battle in this game? Ran into an odd problem where I declared war on England, brought in a doomstack twice as big as them, split it in half and then proceeded to take their stuff while winning a bunch of 3000 vs 2000 fights all over the map. Now I'm permanently at 99% because I "haven't won a major battle."

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i think it is winning a battle that encompasses 80% or more of their raiseable armies.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

DeathChicken posted:

So what exactly counts as a Major Battle in this game? Ran into an odd problem where I declared war on England, brought in a doomstack twice as big as them, split it in half and then proceeded to take their stuff while winning a bunch of 3000 vs 2000 fights all over the map. Now I'm permanently at 99% because I "haven't won a major battle."

There's a time limit on that. If you can afford to keep enough levies raised for a few years to keep the English from reclaiming their territory, the problem will sort itself out. Alternatively, just occupy everything if you haven't already.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

chaosapiant posted:

Is it generally considered easier to learn if you start as a King or Lord and have more land and options, or as a count of a smaller county so there's less to manage?

the real meat of the game is vassal management, climbing up from the bottom rungs as a count makes sense on paper but it's pretty boring. you won't learn much and most experienced players only do it when they know how to get a duchy asap

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
What was the last expansion?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

What was the last expansion?

holy fury

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

DeathChicken posted:

It's a bug that sometimes happens. You just have to wait for the war score to tick up to 100. Which will happen if you have his poo poo sieged down.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
ime with most wars they'll surrender at "99%" anyway, is that different based on the CB?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
My court physician just cured me of dysentery by cutting my eye out. At least I have a cool eye patch now.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

Armacham posted:

My court physician just cured me of dysentery by cutting my eye out. At least I have a cool eye patch now.

I always enjoy the radical cures that make no sense and still cure you. Like the one where they pretty much seal you in with a roomful of bees to cure the flu or something.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Something else odd sprung up. My king was mysteriously poisoned at like 80, game pops to the youngest son (still on Ultimogeniture). He has one kid, an illegitimate bastard, his current heir being his brother. I don't want that, so I legitimize Baby Bastard. He still isn't listed as heir, in spite of being the King's only kid. Is this just a thing where he has to be legitimate at birth or something in order to qualify for the throne, acknowledging him later doesn't matter?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Does CK2 have something like a roll-up patch where I just buy one thing and get all the real DLC updates to-date? IDGAF about the sprite packs but I do want all the content and hosed if I feel like wading through 30 pages of the Steam Store to figure it out?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

Does CK2 have something like a roll-up patch where I just buy one thing and get all the real DLC updates to-date? IDGAF about the sprite packs but I do want all the content and hosed if I feel like wading through 30 pages of the Steam Store to figure it out?

Yes, but it's very expensive when there's not a sale.

There's a number that aren't relevant if you don't plan on playing in certain areas or government types, but it's up to you to decide what matters to you.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've got a pretty good base going in my Jewish run right now, gave most of the horn and an making my way up through Egypt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yes, but it's very expensive when there's not a sale.

There's a number that aren't relevant if you don't plan on playing in certain areas or government types, but it's up to you to decide what matters to you.

So “Royal” is the content, “Imperial” adds the foofy music and sprites?