Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Karl Barks posted:

i see golf didn't make his list of bourgeois luxuries

gently caress golf. does golf have any redeeming qualities?

I like mini golf tho maybe I’m a bad person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

turn all golf courses into public housing imo. or public parks

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the only thing minigolf has in common with golf is it uses the same/similar ball tho.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Lightning Knight posted:

It is really fun to play even if you're bad at it but I agree with getting rid of every golf course and using the land for something good

Mini golf should be fine

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
There was a housing development near my parents house with all the houses built around a golf course in the center. The course eventually closed down because no one used it. Instead of turning it into a nice park or something they let it deteriorate and get overrun with wild dogs.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/apr/26/why-surrey-has-more-golf-courses-land-than-homes

quote:

More of Surrey is now devoted to golf courses than housing, according to provocative new research that claims to dispel many of the myths associated with Britain's housing boom.

A study by the Centre for Economic Performance at LSE suggests soaring house prices are not caused by an influx of foreign buyers but are down to restrictive planning policies that have ensured the country's green belt is a form of "discriminatory zoning, keeping the urban unwashed out of the home counties".

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Lightning Knight posted:

It's a good way to spot people that need a Jacobin haircut

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

There was a housing development near my parents house with all the houses built around a golf course in the center. The course eventually closed down because no one used it. Instead of turning it into a nice park or something they let it deteriorate and get overrun with wild dogs.

good for the dogs

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Lightning Knight posted:

would radicalizing the caddies be good practice or is golf caddie just a summer job for future bankers?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

there’s nothing you can get out of golfing that you couldn’t get from mini golf or a driving range. if you want to “walk the course” then walk in a park, but that also highlights the main function of golf courses, which is to be a private park that keeps the riffraff out.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i just assumed we were turning all golf courses and resorts into game reserves?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

I don’t think you could make a blanket statement like this, it sort of depends on where they are.

For example in my hometown they built a dumb country club in the middle of the side of town I lived on that could comfortably be turned into any number of things, whether that’s focused on outdoors activities or a park, or housing/commercial use.

Conversely the golf course in the rich suburb of my hometown should just be a park, it’s kinda out of the way and it’s already near some public parks.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the golf courses will be killing fields

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Elephant reserves. Convert to savanna, harvest the ivory for hard currency until the revolution is global.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Lightning Knight posted:

I don’t think you could make a blanket statement like this, it sort of depends on where they are.

For example in my hometown they built a dumb country club in the middle of the side of town I lived on that could comfortably be turned into any number of things, whether that’s focused on outdoors activities or a park, or housing/commercial use.

Conversely the golf course in the rich suburb of my hometown should just be a park, it’s kinda out of the way and it’s already near some public parks.

not sure i follow.

i think the bigger concern is how to keep them happy + breeding in captivity. i dont think the hunt would be particularly lively if the game didn't have a market to exploit.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

platzapS posted:

Elephant reserves. Convert to savanna, harvest the ivory for hard currency until the revolution is global.

y u gotta do elephants like this

Serf
May 5, 2011

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
oh man Golf Chat just reminded me of of this "Letter from America" by Alistair Cooke --> Tiger Woods' ethnicity - 2 May 1997. This was apparently read aloud on the BBC in some kind of audio column by Cooke, who you might know as the host of Masterpiece Theatre

quote:

After a collage of Tiger Woods driving, chipping, putting, winning, it showed a parade of little black boys, some girls, saying, chanting in turn, "I'm Tiger Woods! I'm Tiger Woods!" You could see from the gleam in their dark eyes that they meant to learn golf and go onwards and upwards and maybe they too, the day after they turn pro, can bag a sponsor, two sponsors, with a collective promise of $60million. Those happy faces with their proud little recitations formed, for me, the saddest image, memory, of the day.

This has happened before. After the emergence of every star basketball player, every black city slum came alive with a square of bare ground and an iron hoop and a clutch of small black boys practising, practising, endlessly at throwing the ball in from every angle. Many black boys, many more blacks than whites, saw basketball as the blessed escape from poverty.

Of course, what it is heartbreaking even to hint to them is that not one boy in 200,000 will ever make it. Though it costs very little indeed to rig up a hoop on a patch of raw ground, but where are they going to get and buy and have access to a 130 acres to play on? The disillusion will set in next year, or the one after.

Like the day after uhuru, the day of freedom for an old colony which is celebrated with bands by day and firecrackers by night. Next day, having knocked down the old regime, they have the awful job of building a new one.

Still, one thing is for sure. There'll be a spectacular increase in the number of black boys, and I do mean boys, teenagers, who begin to infest the public courses in America. And people who still believe golf is an exclusively country club, rich man's game, should know that 65% of all the golf courses in America are public courses.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

my dad finally replied and he was a CPBG member before the split. I'm extremely glad I haven't had to deal with the kind of boomer lead poisoning most people have had with their parents

THS
Sep 15, 2017

it's very difficult to, on the one hand, recognize that generational warfare is bad, but also constantly run into most boomers being completely awful in america. some of them, i assume, are good people

the good boomers probably died

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah a big reason olds suck so much is that all the cool ones were ground down by a life under capitalism and died, so only the bougie assholes who've known nothing but ease and can afford medical care get to live.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm pumped to join my comrades in dying under capitalism

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

i'm pumped to join my comrades in dying under capitalism

:shobon:

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think a lot of boomers are just bitter as gently caress, especially if they weren't able to take advantage of the huge 20 year window where higher education, middle management, and big homes in the suburbs were being shoveled out to every white person in America.

the tech revolution passed a lot of them by and they were obsoleted into menial labor or perilous early retirement if they weren't some kind of vice president boardroom piece of furniture with an army of assistants and dirt on everybody.

my old man is at the tail end of the baby boom (1960) and smack dab in the middle of deindustrialization, and the destruction of most urban working class manufacturing job neighborhoods in major cities. he's now, at 58, permanently disabled after a stroke/heart attack from a lifetime of smoking and hard drug abuse.

my father in law had to work shelf stocking jobs in Target at 61, his wife still working at 64 after beating cancer. they can't afford to retire because property taxes, bills, life, and healthcare costs would put them in the red.

after the huge centuries long premium on RUGGED INDIVIDUALISM, we've expanded society to the limits of single family household w/lawns front and back model, and now in order to keep up with the comfort and commodity production demands expected, everything is getting ratcheted back and crunched in as wages/benefits stay stagnant or get slashed and silicon valley disruptors come up with incredible new ways to supply bullshit products and services to distant suburbs and rurals while picking their pockets.

we've taken the greatest productive workforce in the history of humanity and turned it into the world's most powerful military, but then we didn't have the gumption to start a proper empire. the aborted core holds its breath in a pregnant pause maintaining its toy soldiers and stranglehold on international relations, bleeding federal funds at an alarming rate, while not ENTIRELY pressing the issue enough to create prosperity in the homeland. instead, it's just a bunch of CEOs, lobbyists, grifters and senators angling for board room jobs funneling the proceeds from soft finger-fucky imperialism directly into the cayman islands. so, yeah, the fed and the MIC are a bunch of conquistador blueballed white devils, the private sector is strangling a sovereign nation to death with its own stupids ugly loving flag, and HAIL SATAN because the dictatorship of capital is coming.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

What is it with trots and pedos

https://twitter.com/TheRedRoar/status/1126219116585656322?s=19

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

That owns, I want to live next to the dog forest

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

What is it with trots and pedos
that trot group she was in becoming the neoconservative "spiked online" is one of the weirder stories out there in the obscure trotskyist "where are they now" genre

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
can anyone reccomend me a book that deals with (basic) finance from a marxist perspective?

was thinking of dipping back into capital (esp vol 3) and then moving on to hilferding, but i figured there's gotta be something written more recently that'd be easier

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

richard wolff is the first one that comes to mind that writes solely on the economics of marxism. how basic are you looking for? Piketty is good too, he describes the problems well, but his solution is bad. it's also pretty technical

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Finicums Wake posted:

can anyone reccomend me a book that deals with (basic) finance from a marxist perspective?

was thinking of dipping back into capital (esp vol 3) and then moving on to hilferding, but i figured there's gotta be something written more recently that'd be easier

wall street by doug henwood is pretty good

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

austin red guards unironically own

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Finicums Wake posted:

Ficticious Capital by Cedric Durand ain't bad for this, and can be read in a couple hours tops.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

i say swears online posted:

while you were partying, I was studying Mao's critiques

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

i say swears online posted:

The last sight of many a revisionist

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

laffo

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

lol and also cant wait, just started revolutions after listening to rome and theyre all great. kinda falls into the trap of just recounting the stuff great men do towards the end of every revolution and was especially bad in the latter half of rome, but the early episodes always do a good job of discussing social and class forces and antagonisms that lead to events