Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Khisanth Magus posted:

I want to go back in time and find whoever came up with the term "timebox" and stab them in the face. My boss has started to use it as a euphemism for "work whatever hours are necessary to complete this task, which you have absolutely 0 knowledge about and don't even know where to start, within this arbitrary time period I am setting"

I mean that's the opposite of a timebox. A timebox says "spend exactly x hours on this task" and if its not done in that time, let it go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

TheCog posted:

I mean that's the opposite of a timebox. A timebox says "spend exactly x hours on this task" and if its not done in that time, let it go.

Yeah, we have changed it to "work whatever (unpaid) overtime is necessary to finish it" here. I love working here. I went and had a few beers over lunch I love working here so much!

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Slack message != opening a ticket for gently caress's sake.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

stevewm posted:

No..

All of my porting experiences have been from ATT to somewhere else. ATT has managed to gently caress it up every single time.

We have ported large portions of entire exchanges off ATT to another provider, in phases, and every single time they either ported numbers that either weren't ready for porting yet, weren't on the list at all to be ported, or were supposed to remain as inactive reserve. Even after multiple emails and calls verifying the exact list of numbers to be ported.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

betterinsodapop posted:

Slack message != opening a ticket for gently caress's sake.

One contractor we have only communicates through slack. Which we dont "officially" use slack, we just use the free version to make it easier for those of us cursed to work on mulesoft to communicate. But I've gotten in trouble for not responding to something he said in there because I didn't have it open (I just have it in a browser window when I remember to have it open).

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Khisanth Magus posted:

Yeah, we have changed it to "work whatever (unpaid) overtime is necessary to finish it" here. I love working here. I went and had a few beers over lunch I love working here so much!

I had a major project come up in April. Started working 50-55 hours a week to keep up with it (nights and weekends from home). Made the first major deliverable at the start of May and told my boss 'I'm going back to 40 hours. You can decide if you want to move this deadline back, or if you want to cover my ops responsibilities, or if you want things to go incomplete. Let me know.'

He didn't let me know and I'm sure he still expects the 50 hours required to do everything. I'm going to start sending him a weekly report of tasks unaddressed due to time constraint so he can't feign surprise when his boss knocks at his door.

Sometimes you just have to let the world burn.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
"I'm not willing to work nights to clear this project queue anymore."

"Well, we're just going to have to let some things go then. Say no to people."

"Exactly, we're on the same page! I have some suggestions on where we can strategically adjust..."

"I DIDN'T MEAN WE'D ACTUALLY DO THAT JUST KEEP WORKING"

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

We just got done with our annual security training, and one of the main points they always stress is "don't let anyone piggyback through card swipes." So today I walked up to a swipe-access door, and behind me were some guys in suits from corporate, expecting me to open the door for them. I apologized and said I couldn't swipe them in, and they looked at me like I just insulted their mothers.

They wouldn't be able to do poo poo to me, but man, it was so awkward.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

We just got done with our annual security training, and one of the main points they always stress is "don't let anyone piggyback through card swipes." So today I walked up to a swipe-access door, and behind me were some guys in suits from corporate, expecting me to open the door for them. I apologized and said I couldn't swipe them in, and they looked at me like I just insulted their mothers.

ah I kinda like doing that sort of thing. Occasionally one of them goes 'good for you' (genuinely) but it's rare :D

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

DizzyBum posted:

Don't you know anything? Policies don't apply to executives. How dare you do what they tell you to do.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Cisco: it’s not us
Co-worker CCIE: it’s not Cisco
AT&T: it’s not us

Bets on how this plays out?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
With whiskey?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Bigass Moth posted:

I'm sure AT&T is at least part of the problem

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Che Delilas posted:

I'm sure AT&T is at least part of the problem

definitely not an empty quote

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

angry armadillo posted:

ah I kinda like doing that sort of thing. Occasionally one of them goes 'good for you' (genuinely) but it's rare :D

I came across son of owner (and my bosses boss) the other day out on the floor without appropriate PPE so I stopped him and sent him back out. To his credit he thanked me and told me good job. I guess he's maturing now that he's had his 25th birthday.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Did a little project to see if we could go IPv6-only on a lab network. Got everything working despite the Sonicwall documentation being flat-out wrong - iPhone and a Windows laptop connected and working, IPv4 address was self-assigned, all sites worked fine etc.

Then I remembered Android won’t take a DNS server address from DHCPv6 and wants to use ND-RDNSS - which might be the more ideologically pure way to manage this but isn’t supported as widely as using the other config flag and providing DNS servers with DHCP. So that project is on hold now until I change firewalls or get a feature request accepted and wait for the software to appear.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

It's DNS.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Just received an email invite from our owner for a meeting tomorrow at 8am to discuss 'organizational changes'

I texted the other two directors and one called me back and told me that the director of the prestige third of the business was being let go, and the guy that called me was going to take over that division, and I was going to inherit his division, on top of my own.

I would think my boss might have mentioned that to me ahead of time, if true :ohdear:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

DizzyBum posted:

This is a pet peeve of mine. Either security is important enough that you hire security for the door, or it's not. Telling people to slam the door in the faces of the people behind you is theater and is not an acceptable substitute.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

guppy posted:

This is a pet peeve of mine. Either security is important enough that you hire security for the door, or it's not. Telling people to slam the door in the faces of the people behind you is theater and is not an acceptable substitute.

Pet peeve or not, tailgating is a thing every security training I've seen talks about.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

guppy posted:

Even with security desks, you still slam the door. Especially for restricted areas deeper in the building. There are some areas where I've worked where the *best* outcome of letting someone piggy back your card-swipe is termination. So gently caress their no-access-I-forgot-my-card asses.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
the gym I go to has a system where it counts people entering with the card swipes and alarms if two people walk through on the same swipe. It's far from an unsolvable problem but that requires pissing the wrong person off when they are doing a walkthrough and have to swipe a group of ten people through the one door

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

tactlessbastard posted:

the guy that called me was going to take over that division, and I was going to inherit his division, on top of my own.:ohdear:

You can't leave us hanging: did your compensation increase commensurate with the new workload or did you get hosed?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Sheep posted:

You can't leave us hanging: did your compensation increase commensurate with the new workload or did you get hosed?

We'll find out in the morning :shrug:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I spent about 75% of my day today helping with a critical issue in the software my team supports(the software that handles insurance claims, slightly important for an insurance company), as well as assisting a contractor on my mobile project on something he was working on. I was still able to squeak out the task I planned on working on after only working 1 extra hour of unpaid time. However, I'm still going to get in trouble tomorrow because in addition to putting out fires, assisting the team member, AND completing my assigned task, my manager wanted me to also finish another thing and, I quote, "you will need to find the time to do it.". gently caress you, already worked one hour of unpaid overtime and completed everything I committed to in addition to everything else I worked on, not going to lose more of my limited free time to do this other task. 

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You are under no obligation to set yourself on fire to keep someone else warm.

Work your hours, do what you can, learn to stop worrying and love the bomb.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

guppy posted:

Part of the solution is enforcing pass back rules so if someone tailgates in, they can't leave without tailgating again. And having airlocks so someone can't sneak up. You can't have actual physical security without some inconvenience.

Yes, we've had people trapped in buildings that they aren't allowed to have a phone on them, having to wait hours till someone comes through to rescue them. They certainly don't tailgate again after that (one of the rooms later had a landline installed so they could call security )

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

guppy posted:

The easy solution is policy.

"if you open the door, you are responsible for who goes through it"

a) slam the door if you want
b) you know the dudes so you let them through with you and keep an eye for the door closing
c) you don't know the dudes so you challenge them

therefore you made the decision on how it played out and the time someone gets somewhere they aren't supposed to be, poo poo can roll all the way down hill to whoever opened the door and they get the disciplinary.

it's easy.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
phew, i kept just my department. They transferred in a superfluous VP to replace the guy.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My main boss's and companies attitude about working from home is pissing me off. Its OK for my boss to work from home every Friday. The high level executives work from home every once in a while no problem. I can do %90 of my job remotely and no one would know the difference if I didn't change my status location.

But god forbid one of us underlings actually works from home when something comes up. Email from the head boss saying all work from home needs to be approved in advance. Showed him the email from my boss that said it was OK. This leads to a whole chain back and forth on whats allowed and what isn't. If I thought it would be this big of a deal I would have just taken PTO.

I think all of this stems from other departments that get mad that they cant work from home and bitching to their bosses. Sorry your jobs either require you to be on site or that your boss wont allow it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Khisanth Magus posted:

I spent about 75% of my day today helping with a critical issue in the software my team supports(the software that handles insurance claims, slightly important for an insurance company), as well as assisting a contractor on my mobile project on something he was working on. I was still able to squeak out the task I planned on working on after only working 1 extra hour of unpaid time. However, I'm still going to get in trouble tomorrow because in addition to putting out fires, assisting the team member, AND completing my assigned task, my manager wanted me to also finish another thing and, I quote, "you will need to find the time to do it.". gently caress you, already worked one hour of unpaid overtime and completed everything I committed to in addition to everything else I worked on, not going to lose more of my limited free time to do this other task. 

I can tell you're feeling stressed and upset about this. what is happening to you is not right.

if you have the ability, please push back against any attempts to get you to work for free (eg unpaid overtime). that is wage theft. if you're asked to do that, confirm their request and confirm that they are asking you to do unpaid work. document it.

if you are in a place with labor protections, avail yourself of them. if you are not, and you're not comfortable fighting this alone, find people you can band together with to fight as a group. for example, the tech workers coalition.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

But god forbid one of us underlings actually works from home when something comes up. Email from the head boss saying all work from home needs to be approved in advance. Showed him the email from my boss that said it was OK. This leads to a whole chain back and forth on whats allowed and what isn't. If I thought it would be this big of a deal I would have just taken PTO.

Always take the PTO. Sounds like a bureaucracy hellscape and you're better off. Especially with catty other dept getting butthurt.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
poo poo that's pissing me off: Outlook 2016

Got several reports that Out of Office isn't working. I look into it and find out it's also affecting outlook profile creation - it crashes after autodiscover runs.

Install the April 2nd patch and it stops crashing, but throws a We are having trouble connecting to your account.

We host our own exchange servers. Anyone run into this? It's started about a month ago.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Non-functional requirements are definitely functional, gtfo.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I give it 50/50 odds that I will be put on probation at work tomorrow during my bi-weekly "one-on-one" meeting with my manager. My team is horribly understaffed right now thanks to other teams poaching our members and those holes not being filled, which can be shown clearly by the fact that every single one of the major projects we have going right now went to "red" status. Me and a coworker have both been lectured about not getting "distracted" by assisting the one poor schmuck who is on production support and yet knows the least about the system we support. But every project is chronically understaffed and yet on extremely unrealistic deadlines. So yay.

My one regret about the fact I own my house is it makes it harder to look for jobs outside of the area. There isn't a ton of work available in Cedar Rapids, IA that would be any better than this place.

Oh, fun fact. During my last one-on-one I got in trouble because the project manager was upset that i wasn't panicking enough when the project I am on started falling behind.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 9, 2019

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Khisanth Magus posted:

I give it 50/50 odds that I will be put on probation at work tomorrow during my bi-weekly "one-on-one" meeting with my manager. My team is horribly understaffed right now thanks to other teams poaching our members and those holes not being filled, which can be shown clearly by the fact that every single one of the major projects we have going right now went to "red" status. Me and a coworker have both been lectured about not getting "distracted" by assisting the one poor schmuck who is on production support and yet knows the least about the system we support. But every project is chronically understaffed and yet on extremely unrealistic deadlines. So yay.

My one regret about the fact I own my house is it makes it harder to look for jobs outside of the area. There isn't a ton of work available in Cedar Rapids, IA that would be any better than this place.

Oh, fun fact. During my last one-on-one I got in trouble because the project manager was upset that i wasn't panicking enough when the project I am on started falling behind.

Your boss said you don't scream enough?

But sorry to hear that. Really, an environment that handles challenges the way you describe is toxic, and your best bet is to sharpen your CV and start looking elsewhere.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If there are other teams poaching staff from yours, see if they'll poach you.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If there are other teams poaching staff from yours, see if they'll poach you.

The team that does most of the poaching is the worst project to work on in the company. Most people on that team have been working 60 hour work weeks for the past 4 month or so.

Sheesh, thinking about it this place is starting to sound like a game dev studio not an insurance company where pretty much all of our projects are just for internal use.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Khisanth Magus posted:

Sheesh, thinking about it this place is starting to sound like a game dev studio

ah, poo poo. all spare energy to getting out while you still can, then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Whee, did indeed get put on probation, primarily for "not meeting deliverable dates"(which is a lie, I have gotten everything done in the sprint they were assigned once we got past the "here are all these things you have no idea how to do, now get them done in the estimated time provided by the person who does know how to do them who never once got something finished in his estimated time, I just haven't always gotten stuff done on exactly the day that the PM assigned them to in that sprint, because yes she plans our work day by day based on estimates and God help you if the estimates were wrong) and "not owning issues" because when something out of my hands breaks I say it was out of my hands and apparently I was supposed to magically have handled it anyways.