Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Rhyno posted:

I bet Rob cold pitches random books every few weeks.

"Hey, let me do the art on All Star Western!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

LOSH is totally in the works, and a group of Kirby books or an imprint of em is pretty believable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

LOSH is totally in the works, and a group of Kirby books or an imprint of em is believable.

The LOSH relaunch was supposed to be ages ago. It was the alleged Hickman project that never materialized. There's been a lot of stuff that DC teased at the last retailer summit that never materialized and a few things I saw at DC's offices that haven't happened yet either.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

LOSH is totally in the works, and a group of Kirby books or an imprint of em is pretty believable.

One thing I've learned from years of following DC is in the works means in the garbage half the time.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm expecting something after Doomsday Clock, but I'd at least guarantee they've been constantly workshopping the relaunch for the last couple of years.

e: Point is, I don't think Rob is lying or was cold calling 'em for those particular titles. They're don't seem like his sort of things to where he'd just bring them up to DC on his own.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 8, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm expecting something after Doomsday Clock, but I'd at least guarantee they've been constantly workshopping the relaunch for the last couple of years.

Well yeah, Saturn Girl has been around, much like how they've teased the JSA a few times. DdayClock has just screwed up everything.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
You know, setting Liefeld loose on Kamandi or New Gods might not be a terrible idea. Being Kirby lines they're already associated with a strong artist style, and that's something Rob brings. Not to replace Kirby, but to follow along there.

I think I'd rather have him on Kamandi, personally.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: Point is, I don't think Rob is lying or was cold calling 'em for those particular titles. They're don't seem like his sort of things to where he'd just bring them up to DC on his own.

Dude loves Kirby so I wouldn’t be shocked if it was cold pitching.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Beerdeer posted:

You know, setting Liefeld loose on Kamandi or New Gods might not be a terrible idea. Being Kirby lines they're already associated with a strong artist style, and that's something Rob brings. Not to replace Kirby, but to follow along there.

I think I'd rather have him on Kamandi, personally.

Replace Kirby open slack jawed mouths with teeth clenching so tightly they burst veins.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I bet Rob cold pitches random books every few weeks.

Yeah, this is exactly it.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 9, 2019

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
The Batman Who Laughs remains not very good and I need to stop reading it.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I'm sure they wanted Hickman to do LOSH the way he did Avengers where it was integrating every continuity change and he said gently caress no.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Supposedly he was ready to sign on. A few people think Bendis going to DC is what got in the way.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
How would it have gotten in the way? Bendis and Hickman certainly seem chummy and all of the latest round of "Hickman to DC" rumors started after Bendis jumped ship and Hickman was doing cryptic "I'm coming with you pal" type tweets that have since been deleted.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Edge & Christian posted:

How would it have gotten in the way? Bendis and Hickman certainly seem chummy and all of the latest round of "Hickman to DC" rumors started after Bendis jumped ship and Hickman was doing cryptic "I'm coming with you pal" type tweets that have since been deleted.

A couple guys in the retailer groups seemed to think they may have fallen out. Others think Hickman and Johns sat down and ended up not really getting along so that may have been a factor. I'll reach out to one of the guys and see if the conversation is still there.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Celebrity Gossip Comics

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I feel like Hickman had some massive manuscript ready for the LoSH, and then DC told him he had to wait until after Doomsday Clock, and gave a bunch of notes on what to include, and other titles he had to interact with. And while he grew frustrated, Marvel start dangling X-Men in front him, saying he could do whatever the hell he wanted.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

blind item newsletters but for comic book writers and artists

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/Clay_Mann_/status/1126569242009243650

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Is that a threat for more Heroes in Crisis?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Infinite Heroes in Crisis

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's just mocking today's Marvel announcements, but I think Mann is getting back on Batman.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

X-O posted:

Is that a threat for more Heroes in Crisis?

Please don't speak ideas like this into existence. I can only survive so much character assassination.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm still irritated HiC sunk what was a decently average Titans run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The return of Wally was so good. I'm really not pleased with with the character assassination.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Wally Waste

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Rhyno posted:

The return of Wally was so good. I'm really not pleased with with the character assassination.

Man I wish it was just character assassination, too. King has gone out of his way to rewrite giant chunks of Wally's life and history and views just to fit this broken psychopath motif he's thrust on him. From his wedding, to how he got over Barry's death, to how everyone treated him, to how he views and lives with his powers, to how his powers even necessarily function. Turns out being a speedster is actually a gigantic trial of pain and control at the risk of killing everyone around you instead of a dream come true for an unfortunate little boy.

Gerads and King talk about how much they love Wally but they sure don't love anything about him enough to use it without twisting it monstrously.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

KSD's Black Label book is looking nuts.
https://twitter.com/Philjimeneznyc/status/1126109646610141186

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Man I wish it was just character assassination, too. King has gone out of his way to rewrite giant chunks of Wally's life and history and views just to fit this broken psychopath motif he's thrust on him. From his wedding, to how he got over Barry's death, to how everyone treated him, to how he views and lives with his powers, to how his powers even necessarily function. Turns out being a speedster is actually a gigantic trial of pain and control at the risk of killing everyone around you instead of a dream come true for an unfortunate little boy.

Gerads and King talk about how much they love Wally but they sure don't love anything about him enough to use it without twisting it monstrously.

Whenever a creative team talks about how much they love certain a character you can be sure that character is about to be broken.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Looking forward to 4 issues in 8 years.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So far, Det #1000 is the second top selling comic of the 21st century behind Star Wars #1. Action 1k is #6 on the chart, then (removing the Loot Crate inflated comics) DK3 #1, Amazing Spider-Man #800 and Batman #50 are next.
https://twitter.com/comichron/status/1127952225509216257

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 14, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Man, I know Spider-Man is Spider-Man and all, but I did not expect a renumber from 2014 to be the 3rd highest selling of the century...

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Both Detective #1000 and that Spider-Man issue had a ridiculous number of incentive covers and other gimmicks to goose sales. I mean, practically every #1 does these days, but ASM #1 had forty-odd variant covers, and Detective #1000 has 36. Star Wars #1 had 70+ including the Loot Crate cover and various 2nd/3rd/4th printings. Action #1000 had 40+ as well. This year's Captain Marvel #1, by contrast, had a measly 11 variant covers, five of which were J. Scott Campbell ones he basically bought to sell in his webstore.

It's late and it would be a pain in the rear end, but not all of the covers are created equally. Some are ones Marvel/DC do that retailers can order in any quantity. Others are tied into how many copies they order of that particular book, or even other books (get a limited edition War of the Realms cover for every 50 copies of Asgardians of the Galaxy #5 you order, or whatever). A lot of the covers for the four books mentioned above are retailer exclusives, which means one retailer ordered thousands (the number appears to be anywhere from 2,000 to 4,000 depending on where you look) in order to get their own limited edition cover. Others were limited runs to be given away at Retailers Summits, fan events, etc.

All of this is to say that the Barack Obama Spider-Man issue (with a measly two covers, not counting 2nd-5th printings with slightly different versions of the original Jimenez cover) is probably the actual book the most people bought on that list, followed by the issues of Civil War (the original) down at 17-20.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just look at N52 JLA (the run-up to Trinity War team with Vibe, that you don't remember) with it's 50 state flag variants being almost 30 places higher than the launch N52 Jim Lee Justice League #1.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
Didn't expect Batman 71 to reference "My parents are dead".

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/UberKryptonian/status/1128015517938278400

:thunk:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My guess is that they actually go through with the wedding this time.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BC's scooped a pile of Year of the Villain covers from the next solicits.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05/15/scoop-dc-comics-year-of-the-villain-battle-damaged-logo-covers-august-solicitations/
They feature souped up villains (or not in Harley and Catwoman's cases) presumably from whatever Luthor gifts them in July, plus I think our first look at the new Lex on the Superman cover (I haven't read today's JL yet. Maybe he's in there too.)
I dunno if these are really indicating that the actual storylines will be derailed by the Doom/Luthor JL stuff since the round of tie-ins before this is supposed to be contained to short epilogues.

Weird how there's two Mr. Freeze uses with two different costumes.

e: Never mind. I'm dumb.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 15, 2019

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
The second dude is Captain Cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ugh. Of course. Duh.