Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

kimbo305 posted:

Do you have free mat time to work on the heavy bag? Do a couple of 1-min rounds where you just do hard 1-2s with some time between combos to reset your stance. If you're tipping over or step to recover your balance, take more time between combos.

I do. But when doing punches I mostly focus on stamina. I guess I should also incorporate speed and power segments in there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math1as
Apr 27, 2019

beaucoup dinky dau
My answer to your question is:

If you start with some martial art, you will get in shape in no time + you will have a new hobby & make friends.

Sounds not to bad right? ;)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I signed up for 10 personal training sessions at my Muay Thai gym.

Math1as posted:

My answer to your question is:

If you start with some martial art, you will get in shape in no time + you will have a new hobby & make friends.

Sounds not to bad right? ;)

:)

Grey Face
Mar 31, 2017
I've been thinking about trying to do MMA this summer (mostly as a way of getting in shape). Should I focus in on BJJ/Muay Thai first and then branch out, or is it ok to learn them both at once? I did some Muay Thai in high school but that was several years and tens of pounds ago :v:

Does anyone have gym recommendations in the NoVa/DC area?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Grey Face posted:

I've been thinking about trying to do MMA this summer (mostly as a way of getting in shape). Should I focus in on BJJ/Muay Thai first and then branch out, or is it ok to learn them both at once? I did some Muay Thai in high school but that was several years and tens of pounds ago :v:

Both.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Grey Face posted:

Whatever you can handle without getting too tired or burned out.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I've got this awful ache in the knuckle at the base of my thumb on my off hand.

The only thing I can think of is that we weren't using mitts during boxing training and just had everyone wrapped/gloved up (going back and forth through drills using gloves as mitts).

Maybe I was getting punched on the thumb and didn't realize it until today? Anyone else had this issue?

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Grey Face posted:

I don't know about MMA/MT but I go to Ribeiro Jiu Jitsu Nova in Springfield and have enjoyed my experience there. If you want more MMA I think Capital MMA and Pentagon City MMA have decent gyms, but I have no experience with them.

I do not recommend any Lloyd Irvin related schools or affiliates based off of reputation.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
(As per the grappling thread) Alright lads, so I had an issue come up. A husband of a friend of my girlfriends randomly what'sapp me asking if I went to the gym I go to, and would I like to spar with him. He's been taking private lessons for 7 months and wants to see where he's at I guess. The issue is, he's sort of friendly with some other guys who were not very nice to me as they include someone else who they attempted to set up with my girlfriends 6 years ago when I rocked up for the first time it was awkward. Now I'm 195lbs ish rather than 135lbs, they've become very apologetic but I'm not forgetting they were dicks to me initially, so I've always been very Meh with them. They didn't treat me nicely and I've seen them bully other people as a group.

A little bit of me was thinking this was some kind of set up. I've not boxed in 6 months or so, been focusing on my Gi BJJ, and I've not even been to those classes in months so, as my friends have described it, get gassed walking up a flight of stairs now I have muscles. (I'll work on it one day but don't want to lose my size)

Everyone I confided in thought I was being paranoid, but when your in the streets you gotta be you know.

Anyways, I rocked up solo, said hello to him and his trainer, everyone's all smiles, very friendly, if this is a set up its very devious. It also backfired immensely, because I barely went 20%, and after one round he was gassed and it got even easier, even whilst he was being cornered and told exactly how to land stuff (I don't think his coach realised how nice I was being and that those openings weren't really there if I was try harding) It was a cake walk and I was instructing him towards the end after 4 rounds of being very nice to him, barely even tried to touch his face in the 4th.

It was a walk in the park and a lovely reminder how far I've come from a begginer. He's asked me to come down again and I'm happy to help him train, it's always nice to be nice. Maybe I was being super paranoid, but you can never me too careful. Snakes every where. But he has said he doesn't hang out with them anymore so maybe he's realised they aren't good people. Fuckin dick head "lads"

Sorry if that's super anti climatic and that there's no video. For my haters I'm sorry I didn't get my rear end kicked. I'm sure my day will come one day and I'll be sure to tell you all.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

you're a class act willie dee please video the next scrap

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Wangsbig posted:

you're a class act willie dee please video the next scrap

It was super anti climatic dude, on video I'd of looked silly and lazy I imagine because I'm not good enough to go slow and not look poo poo, but at the same time I'm also not good enough to pick up the pace to look good and not be in danger of hurting him accidentally, and I wasn't about that. I'm not posting a video where I look poo poo or hurt someone just for the entertainment of people here. Either way, it wasn't videod anyway.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What was the ruleset?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

What was the ruleset?

Boxing.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Getting to a place where I can throw a good punch and stop when I touch my opponent is my current goal so that story was nice to read. That kind of control is still beyond me, my technique falls apart the second I start pulling them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

How well are your gains holding or are you still on the juice?

Also good on you for not being a dick.

strop
May 3, 2019

don't judge me, I just have a delicate constitution & fart a lot

spacetoaster posted:

I've got this awful ache in the knuckle at the base of my thumb on my off hand.

The only thing I can think of is that we weren't using mitts during boxing training and just had everyone wrapped/gloved up (going back and forth through drills using gloves as mitts).

Maybe I was getting punched on the thumb and didn't realize it until today? Anyone else had this issue?

Quite possible. I can't make any presumptions about your experience, form or technique but there's a big difference in the way you form a fist bare, wrapped, or gloved even if the fundamental rule of a fist is about forming it even and tight. Especially seeing as it's your off-hand, that makes me wonder if your fist was a bit loose and when you got hit maybe it was on the distal phalanx and the way it shifted put pressure on the capsule of your metacarpophalangeal (knuckle) joint and you got some kind of repetitive sprain/strain. I don't box specifically but I've had similar issues from form not transitioning to switching circumstances so that's the impression I get.

Speculative I know but if it's just that then it should be okay with some rest in a week or so. If it really hurts when you even touch it then you may be looking at some form of fracture instead, as unlikely as it sounds.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
That's good to hear Willie - now steal his moped

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I too like to beat up white belts and humble brag on the internet.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

VulgarandStupid posted:

I too like to beat up white belts and humble brag on the internet.

This but unironically

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

https://twitter.com/carlzha/status/1124226505565822976

More video in the thread

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's ... interesting? how if a bunch of people get their rear end kicked to the same degree, then they actually lie on the ground in a pile like in the movies.
As opposed to just one person get seriously injured and is taken a way, or everyone isn't really hurt and runs off.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

How well are your gains holding or are you still on the juice?

Also good on you for not being a dick.

Pretty good thanks, I got up to 195lbs and now I float between 175lbs and 185lbs dependant on how much mma I do vs how much I lift.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

strop posted:

Quite possible. I can't make any presumptions about your experience, form or technique but there's a big difference in the way you form a fist bare, wrapped, or gloved even if the fundamental rule of a fist is about forming it even and tight. Especially seeing as it's your off-hand, that makes me wonder if your fist was a bit loose and when you got hit maybe it was on the distal phalanx and the way it shifted put pressure on the capsule of your metacarpophalangeal (knuckle) joint and you got some kind of repetitive sprain/strain. I don't box specifically but I've had similar issues from form not transitioning to switching circumstances so that's the impression I get.

Speculative I know but if it's just that then it should be okay with some rest in a week or so. If it really hurts when you even touch it then you may be looking at some form of fracture instead, as unlikely as it sounds.

Thanks, it's getting better.

I've always been really lazy about wrapping my thumbs. I'm not going to be anymore.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I've been out of boxing for a few years due to job-related issues and now I want to go back. It's going to be tough because nowadays my stamina is poo poo and my old gyms philosphy is sparring everyday. Also, my body has changed a bit, I'm 6'1" and back then I weighted 168 pounds whereas now I'm at 185, a lot of it from lifting.

After getting back into form, I'd like to learn kickboxing or something related to it, but my flexibility has always been hosed up and I know I'll never be a good kicker.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Why is sparring every day a problem, other than getting punched more? You can probably do one round of you'd boxed for years before, right?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Oh yeah, I can do one round or five, but I can't take their usual fourty-five minutes of sparring just yet because I have not done any meaningful amount of cardio for the last year because I'm a lazy fucker, don't mind me. Jokes aside, I love fighting, but I'm getting more worried as I'm getting older about long-term injuries, especially brain damage.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

When I was coming back to shape, I'd do a couple rounds and then get on a heavy bag while trying to watch the rest of the sparring.

Does your gym teach boxing and kickboxing?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Yeah, the owner and another coach were former pros. Usually they are taught sepparately but sometimes there are joint classes. There's also another coach that teaches bjj and/or grappling. Fairly competitive joint, but has one of the nicest/chillest environments I've ever seen.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'd spend a bit of time getting some coaching on throwing a low kick, and just work that on the bag a lot. It shouldn't take as long to get the technique down compared to someone starting from scratch, but you'll need a while to loosen up your core and stretch out your kicking muscles.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

I just noticed and remembered that this thread's icon is Master Thong and a ton of people here probably know nothing about that lmao

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

old.flv posted:

I just noticed and remembered that this thread's icon is Master Thong and a ton of people here probably know nothing about that lmao

its hell getting old.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So I am looking at signing up with a local BJJ gym and had a couple questions. Just, I'm obese and want to learn and practice as a way to lose weight in a fun way, do most people care about my weight when sparring? Also, I sweat more than a normal person, always have, do most people care about sweat? I would wash my stuff after each class obviously, I just don't want to upset someone while sparring and practicing.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Everyone turns into a pool of sweat when training and nobody's gonna mind that you're fat. Size matters because it's a weight class sport, but people are used to training with partners of all shapes and sizes.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 8, 2019

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Elblanco posted:

So I am looking at signing up with a local BJJ gym and had a couple questions. Just, I'm obese and want to learn and practice as a way to lose weight in a fun way, do most people care about my weight when sparring? Also, I sweat more than a normal person, always have, do most people care about sweat? I would wash my stuff after each class obviously, I just don't want to upset someone while sparring and practicing.

You'll be fine. Being squished and sweatted on is on-label for BJJ.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
In my old judo gym, everyone aside from me and another dude weighted 200+ and the place turned into a sauna when sparring, so I'd say no, it won't matter much.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Elblanco posted:

You'll be fine, ask me about having a brown belt waterboard me with his gi on purpose.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If people can't throw their guard around you, that'll be a new puzzle for them, too.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

kimbo305 posted:

If people can't throw their guard around you, that'll be a new puzzle for them, too.

This is unfortunately not too uncommon

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Thanks guys, that makes me feel a lot better. It'll be a few weeks until I can afford to sign up so I'll work on getting active again so I'm not really sore once I start training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Elblanco posted:

I'll work on getting active again so I'm not really sore once I start training.

You're gonna be really sore no matter what. There's really no shape like grappling shape. That being said, don't get discouraged it's all part of the process and everyone was a day 1 white belt at some point so they'll understand your plight.