Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Imagine the insecurity of a person who has a monster hit movie in theaters, is the toast of Hollywood, just signed a mega multi-year deal with the studio.....and yet they can't just ignore some nerds who are whining about a character picking up a hammer. Why they feel the need to even answer these questions I'll never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Basebf555 posted:

Imagine the insecurity of a person who has a monster hit movie in theaters, is the toast of Hollywood, just signed a mega multi-year deal with the studio.....and yet they can't just ignore some nerds who are whining about a character picking up a hammer. Why they feel the need to even answer these questions I'll never know.

Too much power makes you stupid

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but his movies were consistently the best. He has 2.5 good movies out of 3, the way I see it that's better than Thor, Iron Man, or Guardians.

Meh. First Avenger was pretty lame, it and Dark World are the two I generally skip on re-watches because it drags on and on. Winter soldier was alright. Civil War is more of an avengers movie than a Captain America movie.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but his movies were consistently the best. He has 2.5 good movies out of 3, the way I see it that's better than Thor, Iron Man, or Guardians.

lol, wut?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Guardians have had one good movie and one bad movie. Cap has had two good(First Avenger and Winter Soldier), and one so-so movie. A better batting average overall.

Maybe I like First Avenger because I just watched it recently when the UHD came out. It actually has a visual style(aka it doesn't look like an Avengers movie), and all the Hydra stuff is really fun imo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The First Avenger is the best movie from Phase 1. The Winter Soldier is the best movie the MCU has to offer. Civil War is the shittiest Cap movie, but it's a better Avengers movie than Avengers 1 and Age of Ultron.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Basebf555 posted:

Guardians have had one good movie and one bad movie. Cap has had two good(First Avenger and Winter Soldier), and one so-so movie. A better batting average overall.

Maybe I like First Avenger because I just watched it recently when the UHD came out. It actually has a visual style(aka it doesn't look like an Avengers movie), and all the Hydra stuff is really fun imo.

Ah, I see. I thought you were saying his movies were better than all of the Guardians' movies. Reading fail on my part, my bad.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

brawleh posted:

Didn't get a chance to respond to this last night, so just want to explore it a little further. This isn’t about getting into the particular further implications of the reading. It’s a question of your interpretation of a characters exposition in relation to the text as a whole. Like, you're working from that exposition as the frame of reference for the narrative in a particular way, with emphasis upon the stones and their place.

Two basic questions emerge, how does a universe cease to exist if the stones are in place and does the movie show this - how can they even get the stones? And how does a universe break down without stones and where does the movie show this either? Again, the movie opens on a universe without any stones, hence the need to steal a bunch of'em to make a wish.

Near as I can tell with this reading is that each universe reached via quantum leap is simply virtual? Like, if Steve can even return the stones, I guess he gets a server shutdown warning once he’s in there?

No reason to think he couldn't stay as long as he wanted, so no "server shutdown warning," but, yes, an ephemeral universe.

It may be that removing a stone via time travel is simply different than ordering the stones to destroy themselves. Or, perhaps, the stones being destroyed will develop into a problem that simply hasn't manifested itself yet. Or, perhaps, the stones aren't truly destroyed but will reform elsewhere (this is how it works in the comics, I think). We don't know.

And, yeah, I'm relying on exposition. Exposition from an absurdly qualified in-universe authority that is entirely consistent with the events of the movie. If the movie ever contradicted her, that would be interesting. But her failing to provide all the technical details that led to her conclusion doesn't, in my mind, undercut her authority.

ImpAtom posted:

So why does this subforum (and indeed most places that discuss movies) include deleted scenes, directors cut and commentary, alternate editions of the movie and so-in when discussing films? A prime example of this is Aliens where one of the most significant things (Ripley having a daughter who died while she was in cryosleep, something only mentioned in the deleted scene) is significant enough everyone treats it as part of the film and they even based a frigging video game off it.

This is what I mean before about different standards. It's only when it's convenient to people wanting to be snarky that they suddenly have this feeling. Lord of the Rings, Blade Runner, Donny Darko, Leon, Superman 2, Batman v. Superman, Brazil, Once Upon A Time In America, the list goes on. It's only here that suddenly it isn't valid to talk about what the director thinks despite studio interference or cuts.

There is certainly a subset of people who treat all the captured footage, whether incorporated into the film or not, as, in essence, a glimpse into the virtual universe of the film. To treat it, since you mentioned video games, as if Aliens was Half-Life and James Cameron was simply deciding whether or not to linger at the window behind which a pre-scripted scene of Ripley investigating her deceased daughter plays out.

And, so far as that specific scene goes with people treating it as part of the movie, there is an actual released version of the movie with that scene in it. It's the version that is generally more popular on home video, which is how a lot of people here saw Aliens. So it's not quite the same as incorporating something that never made it into the movie.

I think you may be perceiving different standards at least partly because this forum isn't just you and one other poster. Some people absolutely do treat the longer cut of Batman v Superman as revealing events that also occurred, but weren't shown, in the theatrical cut. But, no, again there we have two different movies with two different, though similar, stories.

Cut scenes are interesting because they give us insight into the filmmaking process. They can be interesting little stories in themselves. And we can talk about what the movie might have been with those scenes included. But they don't show you some additional truth about the events of the movie. To the contrary, they show you precisely what was excised.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

uftheory posted:

After watching a few times here is my head canon on time travel:

Only removing the stones can create alternative timelines (per Tilda). Once they were returned by Steve to the past the branches were clipped and only the main timeline exists. Instead of returning to the future Steve simply lived his life, married Peggy, grew old and then waited on that bench on that day for them. He was there the whole time. This goes against his character as he was on the sidelines for some major events, but I think that was the point of the end of his arc - he was done and wanted to try some normal life now that he knew everything would work out OK in the end. All of the other paradoxes that were caused by them going back in time - Loki disappearing, Thor possibly wondering where his hammer went, Rape/consent issues with Peggy(ug), etc - are all erased when the stones are returned and the alt timelines are clipped off.

Yes this means Thanos died twice, and the new Gamora is the same person as the dead Gamora, just younger and more alive. Time is like an old cassette tape that you can go back and record over parts. This doesn't change the future parts of the tape, but does make it nonsensical if you try to view the past and future as one continuous line.

I don't care if this contradicts statements from the creators. It makes sense to me and I'm gonna stick to it.

Yeah, well, that's just like, you know, your opinion man ... but I no. I feel like this is becoming a religious argument at this point so let's just agree to disagree.

In attempt to change the subject completely I want to talk about something me and my friend were discussing. What do you guys think of Ang Li's Hulk? I remember seeing that when it first came out on DVD like 15 years ago. I don't remember it too well but at first I thought Incredible Hulk was the sequel. I didn't realize Ang Li's Hulk was never part of the MCU until later. But, if I remember correctly, it was the origin story for Hulk so it still sort of "fits" as a prequel to Incredible Hulk, only with different actors. But since they swapped out Norton for Ruffalo anyway it doesn't really matter. Does anyone remember Ang Li's Hulk well enough to say it works as a prequel to Incredible Hulk and fits in with the rest of the MCU? Or are there too many inconsistencies. I guess we can always say it's part of the "multi-verse" as a cop out.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 8, 2019

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Ang Lee's Hulk ends with him embracing who he is and using it for good, so it doesn't fit with where the Ed Norton movie starts. There's elements of Hulk in the backstory to The Incredible Hulk, the way BvS recycles a portion of the Nolan Batman mythology to get you quickly up to speed, but it's not a direct continuation or anything. And considering it's easily better than anything in the MCU, there shouldn't be a problem with just enjoying it as its own thing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Russo Brothers just seem to have been incredibly lucky people to have been in the right place at the right time because nothing about their movies screams anything that feels uniquely theirs. Their Captain America movies were extremely gray and Endgame was practically a MCU Greatest Hits album.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Brother Entropy posted:

no i'm sorry it's meritorcracy. anyone who leaves the mcu was because they were actually dumb and bad, marvel studios has the utmost respect for it's actors and directors and there is no reason anyone would want to leave marvel studios unless they were shown the door

Sorry to piss you off. I mostly just meant they leaned into things that worked and discarded things that didn't. I dunno if Portman chose to leave or was shown the door, but it was the wise choice for all involved

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Russo Brothers just seem to have been incredibly lucky people to have been in the right place at the right time because nothing about their movies screams anything that feels uniquely theirs. Their Captain America movies were extremely gray and Endgame was practically a MCU Greatest Hits album.

This is basically what I was arguing in another thread. In my opinion, Endgame succeeds almost solely because of its pedigree, not because it's some kind of landmark film that shows an immense strength of direction. Watching it on its own merits significantly reduces its emotional stakes and impact because it banks heavily on nostalgia of past films in the series... 20+ past films at that. The movie requiring such a significant burden of knowledge to fully enjoy everything it presents is one of the bigger negatives of franchise-driven filmmaking. There's almost nothing really distinct about it, other than its reliance on prior films to bolster its narrative. That's absolutely great for MCU fans who have seen most, if not all, of the movies in the series. But when viewed outside the realm of the MCU fandom, the movie is pretty average.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

Sorry to piss you off. I mostly just meant they leaned into things that worked and discarded things that didn't. I dunno if Portman chose to leave or was shown the door, but it was the wise choice for all involved

i mean, the real wise choice would've been giving a good actress like portman anything to do in the movies you're paying her to be in

like, no poo poo she's gonna sleepwalk through being a damsel in distress two movies in a row

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

teagone posted:

This is basically what I was arguing in another thread. In my opinion, Endgame succeeds almost solely because of its pedigree, not because it's some kind of landmark film that shows an immense strength of direction. Watching it on its own merits significantly reduces its emotional stakes and impact because it banks heavily on nostalgia of past films in the series... 20+ past films at that. The movie requiring such a significant burden of knowledge to fully enjoy everything it presents is one of the bigger negatives of franchise-driven filmmaking. There's almost nothing really distinct about it, other than its reliance on prior films to bolster its narrative. That's absolutely great for MCU fans who have seen most, if not all, of the movies in the series. But when viewed outside the realm of the MCU fandom, the movie is pretty average.

On the other hand, they directed a three hour epic with about nine main characters and huge tonal shifts and they pulled it off.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

live with fruit posted:

On the other hand, they directed a three hour epic with about nine main characters and huge tonal shifts and they pulled it off.

Yeah it's fine. But it's not groundbreaking. It's also been done before. See Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Brother Entropy posted:

i mean, the real wise choice would've been giving a good actress like portman anything to do in the movies you're paying her to be in

like, no poo poo she's gonna sleepwalk through being a damsel in distress two movies in a row

Is she a good actor? She's hot. But aside from a performance when she was like 12, what has she done? Maybe V. And Black Swan. The rest was crap.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

1glitch0 posted:

Is she a good actor? She's hot. But aside from a performance when she was like 12, what has she done? Maybe V. And Black Swan. The rest was crap.

I mean, were the movies crap or was her acting bad in them? Also why does her physical attractiveness matter?

I feel like you can only really judge her on what she's given, and based on Leon and Black Swan and V she's obviously better than the material they gave her.

And I get what you were going for but "they cast a hot dude and luckily it turned out he was funny, so they used that in his 5th movie!" is like the exact opposite of a meritocracy lol

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Natalie Portman is really good for slow paced, thoughtful films.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Her magnum opus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A0iftflme4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS8bma7LRX4

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Brother Entropy posted:

more than just about any actor i can think of, Natalie Portman has the ability to really, really give it her all in movies she cares about (which is common among good actors, natch) but in movies where she's just there for a paycheck you can tell she actively doesn't give a poo poo. Some actors give their all in everything, some actors are just bad in everything, but if it's not something she cares about Natalie Portman is just totally checked out on a level where if the only things you saw her in were Thor and Star Wars, you'd probably think she was awful but then you watch Black Swan or Annihilation or Jackie and it's just like, holy poo poo she's amazing how is that the same person, like she has a twin that has absolutely no charisma whatsoever that does her blockbuster work

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Really? They did Infinity War which is the most impressive accomplishment for a superhero movie I've ever seen. For that alone they deserve a lot of credit. I never thought I'd see one of those big marvel crossovers brought to screen. And they managed to pull it off. But wasn't the MCU film that put them on the map Winter Soldier? That's widely considered one of the best of the series. I also really liked Civil War. And Endgame, though not as good as Infinity War, was still a lot of fun and was a satisfying ending to the series (even though they're going to keep making these movies long after I'm dead). Anyway, my point is, you could do a lot worse than the Russo Brothers.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 8, 2019

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

1glitch0 posted:

I'm kind of meh about Annihilation (saw it, enjoyed the setting and body horror, no need to watch again), but I thought she was good in it. I also really liked her in "Where the Heart Is."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She was so good in Black Swan I'll give her a pass on everything.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

If you think there's anything impressive about Infinity War or Endgame that isn't the pure result of just pumping an absolute shitload of money into the production, then I am begging you to watch a movie made before 1980.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I kind of wish that she and Keira Knightley had their roles reversed in Star Wars (let Portman be the false Queen and let Knightley be Padme). Keira likes action films, and she sells everything she does 100%.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

If you think there's anything impressive about Infinity War or Endgame that isn't the pure result of just pumping an absolute shitload of money into the production, then I am begging you to watch a movie made before 1980.

I'm comparing it to other superhero movies not Citizen Kain you dildo.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gianthogweed posted:

Noted 1979 movie, Citizen Kane.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Gianthogweed posted:

It can't top the 1960s Batman Movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r94AJzJZZaU

I challenge either Cap to fight that well with a cat in their hands. :smug:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective No. 27 posted:

Their movies are straight up dogshit, what makes them ideal for the model is that there is no authorial voice whatsoever to tamp down.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
So my theory on the stone destroying vs stones being taken via time travel is that even if the stones are broken their energy still exists and functions in the universe but they no longer exist as nodes through which to use their powers. Completely removing a stone from a reality basically removes it from the whole equation and you leave a critical gap in whatever makes time/space/reality/etc function.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Their movies are straight up dogshit, what makes them ideal for the model is that there is no authorial voice whatsoever to tamp down.

Hey, not just anybody could go from directing Happy Endings to Marvel Camera Jigglefest Universe

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gianthogweed posted:

Really? They did Infinity War which is the most impressive accomplishment for a superhero movie I've ever seen. For that alone they deserve a lot of credit. I never thought I'd see one of those big marvel crossovers brought to screen. And they managed to pull it off. But wasn't the MCU film that put them on the map Winter Soldier? That's widely considered one of the best of the series. I also really liked Civil War. And Endgame, though not as good as Infinity War, was still a lot of fun and was a satisfying ending to the series (even though they're going to keep making these movies long after I'm dead). Anyway, my point is, you could do a lot worse than the Russo Brothers.

As I stated earlier, Winter Solder (and Civil War) are extremely grey looking movies and don't have anything distinctive about them.

Movies in general are a collaborative effort, I get that. Especially when you get a cinematic universe like Marvel's. But, there doesn't seem to be anything special about the Russos. Infinity War and Endgame have a lot of crazy logistical things going on for them, but nothing that screams that only the Russo Brothers could have done them. Their most notable pre-MCU thing is an episode of Arrested Development. And every time they get interviewed, one of them says something really dumb. ("Thor wasn't the protagonist because he didn't win." "Steve was faked not being worthy" And there was something else dumb a few months back that I'm not remembering.)

Not to mention that CGI work gets started months before filming/production begins and MCU directors don't direct the action so it's all the same blandy stuff. Infinity War/Endgame were gonna be successful no matter who was behind the wheel.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

It can't top the 1960s Batman Movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r94AJzJZZaU

I challenge either Cap to fight that well with a cat in their hands. :smug:

When I was a kid and the 1989 Batman movie was still in theaters, my uncle played a prank on me. He gave me a VHS "Batman the movie" because he knew I really wanted to see it. He got me all excited just so he could see the look on my face when played it and it turned out to be the cheesy 1966 Batman movie. He was a cruel uncle.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective No. 27 posted:

As I stated earlier, Winter Solder (and Civil War) are extremely grey looking movies and don't have anything distinctive about them.

Movies in general are a collaborative effort, I get that. Especially when you get a cinematic universe like Marvel's. But, there doesn't seem to be anything special about the Russos. Infinity War and Endgame have a lot of crazy logistical things going on for them, but nothing that screams that only the Russo Brothers could have done them. Their most notable pre-MCU thing is an episode of Arrested Development. And every time they get interviewed, one of them says something really dumb. ("Thor wasn't the protagonist because he didn't win." "Steve was faked not being worthy" And there was something else dumb a few months back that I'm not remembering.)

Not to mention that CGI work gets started months before filming/production begins and MCU directors don't direct the action so it's all the same blandy stuff. Infinity War/Endgame were gonna be successful no matter who was behind the wheel.

The most distinctive thing they do is their location title card reveals, and I can't think of a single other thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They make good cross over movies

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gianthogweed posted:

When I was a kid and the 1989 Batman movie was still in theaters, my uncle played a prank on me. He gave me a VHS "Batman the movie" because he knew I really wanted to see it. He got me all excited just so he could see the look on my face when played it and it turned out to be the cheesy 1966 Batman movie. He was a cruel uncle.

Batman '66 and '89 are leagues better than Endgame. Your uncle was a wise man.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gianthogweed posted:

There's nothing defining about the Russos' big crossover movies, other than them being crossover movies. Like, when you watch The Dark Knight trilogy, you know that's Nolan flexing his directorial muscles in the comic book genre. Logan feels entirely distinct when compared to every other X-Men movie. Man of Steel and Batman v Superman are totally Zack Snyder joints, etc.

When you watch Civil War, Infinity War, and Endgame, they're part of a huge franchise where it's hard to pinpoint any one director's particular style or flair, save for Ragnarok and the Guardians movies. Everything in the series post Avengers has been homogenized. Which is obviously done on purpose to make everything feel part of a whole, but imo you lose a lot of that creative spark between each film as a result.

Winter Soldier stands a part from most MCU fare because it's a superhero movie with the trappings of a political thriller. It's not full on with political intrigue and spy stuff, but Winter Soldier hits the same kind of mark Logan does to make it a little more unique, just not as well. It's also not burdened by much of the franchise narrative. It does it's own thing for the most part.

[edit] Doctor Strange at least tries to do something different with its visuals, which is part of the reason why I think it's the best film of Phase 3.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 9, 2019

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

They make good cross over movies

Not sure where you got this impression, but alright!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Gianthogweed posted:

Lol. Hopefully your uncle took you to see the movie afterwards, otherwise he's just a dickhead.