Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

defaultluser posted:

I've bought games that I never would have otherwise, like CrossCode or Doom 2016 both at launch price, both because they supplied a demo.

and Kathy Rain was released recently for free, and thanks to that promo I've now heard of Clifftop Games, and am likely to buy their latest game!

Welcome to the world of modern game marketing, can we sell you on that demo yet?

hey dumbass, you're not getting a loving demo, pay up or gently caress off

demos don't work for small studios, sales are going to be impacted badly and you're now maintaining two games at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Don't be a Zane, man.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
What they should really focus on is making SquisherZ stickers so I can put them everywhere

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When the Workshop support comes I'm going to make a page about my beautiful boy getting his dinner egg

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i can understand being hesitant about little steam indie adventure games because they are often really short and don't have any gameplay. but this game is at least 8 hours or so and it has gameplay

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
This page is being protected by Beefbrain Shield Demo

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Professor Helper here, do you need some help?

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Mods, change the thread icon to this but add "old-school" to it:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ok, I have a very serious question. Hypnospace is a frankly innocent space in tone. A breath of fresh air.

When you release the workshop, are you going to have any content guidelines? Cuz the latest F Plus dug up this fuckin treasure.

Not Safe For Work, Safe For Cell Phone

So how do you plan on handeling NSFW pages? How's CHIME inforcement gonna work? Does the author set what is / is not ILLEGAL CONTENT? If you get flagged in the game do you get flagged in real life?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The game is 15% off, now cheap enough to buy without a demo!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/844590/Hypnospace_Outlaw/

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

Ok, I have a very serious question. Hypnospace is a frankly innocent space in tone. A breath of fresh air.

When you release the workshop, are you going to have any content guidelines? Cuz the latest F Plus dug up this fuckin treasure.

Not Safe For Work, Safe For Cell Phone

So how do you plan on handeling NSFW pages? How's CHIME inforcement gonna work? Does the author set what is / is not ILLEGAL CONTENT? If you get flagged in the game do you get flagged in real life?

I also question this, I wonder how people are gonna try to subtly create racist poo poo and try to dodge bans

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

If there's not going to be a demo, then I'll just take my CapaCash elsewhere!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

If there's not going to be a demo, then I'll just take my CapaCash elsewhere!

Give me your headband ID you coolpunk-loving trick-rear end!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/levis501jeans/

I have found an angelfire website (linked from Breaking Madden, no less) that looks like it was made with the Hypnospace page creator

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I cannot loving believe angelfire is still a thing and you can still make webpages on it. Check out this cool website dedicated to Tommy Bolin: http://www.angelfire.com/ny/bolinfan/

Not as cool as the Chowder Man's website, but then what is?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

defaultluser posted:

Well then, how about "Try Before You Buy The Whole Game" Episodic? It worked well for Life is Strange. The second game is more detailed (and thus more expensive,) but you can still try the "demo" first episode for 8 bucks, and put that towards your final purchase.

The problem with game developers like you relying on Steam Refunds for your "free" demos is the short amount of time after purchase you have before it's permanent. This means I have to free up some time so I can do nothing else for a few days (I'm lucky if I have an hour to play every other day during the week, and I'm always playing multiple games)...so I'm a lot more likely to forget about your game than take a chance.

I've been burned by overrated Indies like Hyper Light Drifter (clunky-as-hell controls system for combat, and difficulty curve skyrockets too early to actually enjoy the story), Gone Home (what game? There is no game), and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (the pieces of the puzzle are buried so deep you'll get bored of the landscape you have to look at long before you have time to get bored of the game) just as a few example, so no I won't just drop 20 bucks to fuel the hype machine.

Doesnt really sound like you can fit video games in your busy busy schedule! Perhaps theres a better hobby for you out there such as watering the lawn, or watching basic cable

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

The thing with this game is that you go in knowing exactly what it is. I was interested in the "old days of internet exploring websites during the early years" and put it on my list of things to buy, but after hearing that a lot of people were playing it compelled me to get it asap and it was a good idea.

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?

StrixNebulosa posted:

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/levis501jeans/

I have found an angelfire website (linked from Breaking Madden, no less) that looks like it was made with the Hypnospace page creator

why are there no midis playing back on this page

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Satsdwasrdssttyds[stdzzsrztzf]rawer as[asaz/

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Dt[[eeseraeaAceawszsaradZxwRdt=srzstur4.8.4//wSaazsstsehvi r=f

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Stickman posted:

Dt[[eeseraeaAbuttsceawszsaradZxwRbuttsdt=srzstur4.8.4//wSbuttsaazsstsehvbuttsi r=f

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Stickman posted:

get out of here with that netsettler bullshit

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ḩ̵̘̻̰̟͑i̴̢͋͌͆̎̚,̵̡͇̩̖͈̹̲́ ̵̧̬̳̪̯͎͌̍̂̽͛̾͂̓̕ͅÌ̸̭͔͍̱̬͍̑̒̂͂͗̓̅͆̎̓̕’̷̨͈̭̱́̎̎̇͌̌̍͒̌̊̌̍͝m̵̢͕̥͓̗͎̙̦̤̺̖̝̫̬̟̍ ̷̟́̈́́̅͐͑̆̚͘͠͝p̵̛͈͊̾̂́̒̓͆͗̽͝r̵̨̝̳̎͐̌͌̈̽̓̽ǫ̶̗̰̖͐͗́̓͊͑̊͑̏̀̈̕f̷̧̢̯̠͆̈e̴̢̨̙̳̻͓̟̼̱̟͐s̷̨̖̦̰͍̰͚̙̩̙̈́̎̈̿̑͒͑̿̿s̴̳͊̅̽͒͂͜͠o̶̧̨̼̮̺̣͒̓͊̈̋̉͊͑̀̽͠r̴͙̦̹̅̔̇͘ ̴̛̙̅̓̏̅̀̿̕h̴̻̠̖̼̼͔͙͕́̓͂̅̄̎̇̕ẽ̸̢̢̝̱̱̣̝͙̞̮̹̠̮́͐͗́̍̇̚͝ļ̸̢̙̼̹̹̫͎͇̞̭̥͗̔́͆̿͆̋̍̒̈́̃̈̅͘͝p̵̡̛͎̖̘̻̪̹̭̣̚ͅe̵̪̫͇̞͙̳̘͎͔̗͍̭̣̺͙̽̿͒̈́r̶͕̟̺̀̀̌̅̊

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Sockser posted:

Ḩ̵̘̻̰̟͑i̴̢͋͌͆̎̚,̵̡͇̩̖͈̹̲́ ̵̧̬̳̪̯͎͌̍̂̽͛̾͂̓̕ͅÌ̸̭͔͍̱̬͍̑̒̂͂͗̓̅͆̎̓̕’̷̨͈̭̱́̎̎̇͌̌̍͒̌̊̌̍͝m̵̢͕̥͓̗͎̙̦̤̺̖̝̫̬̟̍ ̷̟́̈́́̅͐͑̆̚͘͠͝p̵̛͈͊̾̂́̒̓͆͗̽͝r̵̨̝̳̎͐̌͌̈̽̓̽ǫ̶̗̰̖͐͗́̓͊͑̊͑̏̀̈̕f̷̧̢̯̠͆̈e̴̢̨̙̳̻͓̟̼̱̟͐s̷̨̖̦̰͍̰͚̙̩̙̈́̎̈̿̑͒͑̿̿s̴̳͊̅̽͒͂͜͠o̶̧̨̼̮̺̣͒̓͊̈̋̉͊͑̀̽͠r̴͙̦̹̅̔̇͘ ̴̛̙̅̓̏̅̀̿̕h̴̻̠̖̼̼͔͙͕́̓͂̅̄̎̇̕ẽ̸̢̢̝̱̱̣̝͙̞̮̹̠̮́͐͗́̍̇̚͝ļ̸̢̙̼̹̹̫͎͇̞̭̥͗̔́͆̿͆̋̍̒̈́̃̈̅͘͝p̵̡̛͎̖̘̻̪̹̭̣̚ͅe̵̪̫͇̞͙̳̘͎͔̗͍̭̣̺͙̽̿͒̈́r̶͕̟̺̀̀̌̅̊

*knows its obvious spyware but clicks anyway*

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Stickman posted:

GearHeadGreg helped me get my Hypnospace page running great if you're having trouble with the creator!! I have pictures of all my family and cats on my page (though you could say that the cats are my family! haha!)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Wamdoodle posted:

*knows its obvious spyware but clicks anyway*

I just slammed all of the Professor Helper capacash poo poo because gently caress that malware-rear end bitch, I didn't even know there were legit users who were doing the same thing

Then Adrian sent a real whiny email about it because apparently Helper's backed by someone too dangerous to explicitly move against

Also having worked at a start-up let me tell y'all Adrian's inability to type coherently, overrule his lead developer, or understand the greater scope of what's being asked when shiny things are shaken in his face, is 110% on point

E: Also, how many of us are planning on making a "Squisherz demo when????" page with an associated Dumpster article because I'm definitely considering it

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Somfin posted:

Then Adrian sent a real whiny email about it because apparently Helper's backed by someone too dangerous to explicitly move against
No, it was that Adrian was being a slimy capitalist and wanted to work with the Professor Helper guys.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Somfin posted:

I just slammed all of the Professor Helper capacash poo poo because gently caress that malware-rear end bitch, I didn't even know there were legit users who were doing the same thing

Also having worked at a start-up let me tell y'all Adrian's inability to type coherently, overrule his lead developer, or understand the greater scope of what's being asked when shiny things are shaken in his face, is 110% on point

E: Also, how many of us are planning on making a "Squisherz demo when????" page with an associated Dumpster article because I'm definitely considering it

Professor helper is like, bad, but he's giving us a lot of money so could you don't?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Accordion Man posted:

No, it was that Adrian was being a slimy capitalist and wanted to work with the Professor Helper guys.

One thing I might add in a content update (mostly consisting of ideas that had to be cut) will be an official Merchantsoft Professor Helper who will actually help SORT OF but also send you to partner brands so yeah. Lots of Dec 31 stuff had to be cut. Also Counselor Ronnie's anti-drug/online safety content. This'd be later this year prob.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The only thing that I was actually shocked wasn't in the game was a page about anime subs. The 90s vhs anime sub community would be a perfect fit for a hypnospace page.

If you decided to do an expansion what would it be? A bonus day in late December?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

The only thing that I was actually shocked wasn't in the game was a page about anime subs. The 90s vhs anime sub community would be a perfect fit for a hypnospace page.

If you decided to do an expansion what would it be? A bonus day in late December?

Idk about anime subs but theres anime cars.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

One way I can see sequels being made is to maybe go into a story that might have happened in the other sleep service [CyberWorldZ?? I forgot]. I'm sure R3ckoning continued to do far more.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Just finished this game and, two things.

1. This game was fantastic. More importantly though,

2. Every single goddamn time I heard a new Chowder Man track I was like “Is that Hot Dad? That sounds like Hot Dad. Could it be Hot Dad? No. Is it though?” So, this was the most cathartic credits sequence I’ve ever experienced.

EDIT: Oh yeah, one other thing. I thought that the twist at the end of the game would be that the consciousnesses of the five people who died were still extant in Hypnospace. Anyone else?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 17, 2019

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Ariong posted:

Just finished this game and, two things.

1. This game was fantastic. More importantly though,

2. Every single goddamn time I heard a new Chowder Man track I was like “Is that Hot Dad? That sounds like Hot Dad. Could it be Hot Dad? No. Is it though?” So, this was the most cathartic credits sequence I’ve ever experienced.

EDIT: Oh yeah, one other thing. I thought that the twist at the end of the game would be that the consciousnesses of the five people who died were still extant in Hypnospace. Anyone else?

My guess was going to be that The Victims would just be put into a coma, but still have the ability to use Hypnospace in some form.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Accordion Man posted:

I never quite got a handle on how big Merchantsoft was, I always saw it as way more of an in-over-their-heads baby startup than something stable enough to turn down a big pile of money. But that's where my industry experience comes from so I might be projecting a bit.

As for the spoilery stuff above, I kind of like that there isn't really a big fat twist in the saga. It's just a sad story about how something that might have been great hosed up a lot of people's lives. I'm a big fan of hard bleak, though, so I found the actual ending to be almost exactly what it needed to be, even though it wasn't what I desperately wanted it to be.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Somfin posted:

I never quite got a handle on how big Merchantsoft was, I always saw it as way more of an in-over-their-heads baby startup than something stable enough to turn down a big pile of money. But that's where my industry experience comes from so I might be projecting a bit.
the merchantsoft website has a list of employees ranging from admin to just general support or what not, and actually when people get fired/hired it changes with each period. but iirc it's something like 8-12 employees.

They absolutely were a baby-startup over their heads but kinda loaded with dotcom money. There were tons of these back in the late 90s, and still today with fartapps and things.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 17, 2019

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

Grapplejack posted:

And then there'd be the TV-Nihon types who are all like "No, "kuruma" is a Japanese concept which would take too long to explain in English!"

(FYI, kuruma = "car")

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I played this game back when it came out, but I didn't realize it was made by a goon. I thought it was really fantastic, definitely my best of 2019 so far. My favorite character was Arlan, I ended up keeping his celtic night wallpaper almost the whole game. The guy was just too sweet and he was actually a pretty good artist.

I think my favorite page to stumble across was the dragon adoption one. When I was a little kid I was obsessed with dragons and I spent a lot of time on similar 90s dragon websites for some reason. It just blew my mind a little that such a weird niche thing would be represented in hypnospace. There were a lot of other great pages, too much to mention, but I really enjoyed all of it. I got like 80% or 90% complete, so I spent a long time just browsing every site I could find.

I really enjoyed the music in the game. My favorite songs were sacred space and ghost of the grotto, and Klyfta was great too, but the whole soundtrack was really impressive. I spent a long time on the various music sites reading the history and evolution of this fictional universes music. I don't know if it was intended to be bad, but I rather enjoyed tamara's poetry as well. I loved the little music player thing too, it made me remember taking care of my own Winamp library and all the cool skins and visualizers it had. I was so stoked when I found the music ripper tool.

The main story was excellent and effectively got at my emotions. I felt really sad for Tim and the innocent victims. Even though Tim was kind of a little creep, I really sympathized with him as he was basically just trying to win the approval of others he admired, though he didnt know how to communicate that in an appropriate way due to being a teenager with bad social skills. He must have felt terrible thinking he caused Tiffany's death. I was kind of looking forward to a more climactic showdown against Merchant, since he was such a villain and him joining the archival project after you really raises the tension, but it also makes sense that the guilt would catch up to him after all those years.

The game gave me a nostalgic feeling for the old days of the internet, but also made me feel appreciative of the community the internet still has. After playing it, I would smile when stumbling across small communities online because it showed that the community spirit captured in Hypnospace Outlaw does still exist today. I thought that was a pretty cool feeling for a game to give me.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Just burned through it today. Very enjoyable. The end of the game twist affected me more than I expected this game too.

Is there anyway to see what I'm missing in the archive? I couldn't find any guides and I'd like to see what I missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Arrhythmia posted:

Just burned through it today. Very enjoyable. The end of the game twist affected me more than I expected this game too.

Is there anyway to see what I'm missing in the archive? I couldn't find any guides and I'd like to see what I missed.

Open the HAP app. It's what you used to go back and forth through the days. It should say something like "Click here to open HAP" then you'll see a bunch of colored rectangles.