Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
One thing I remember positively about Turok, and this is something thr later Half Life 1 often gets credit for, is that you don't start with a gun; getting the pistol is an empowering achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Turok 1 has aged poorly. Turok 2 has confusing map design issues but is better in like every conceivable way so if you gotta play one Turok, skip 1.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I kind of felt like I was one of the few who hated the Duke Nukem 3D hi-resolution pack when it came out. It was neat for a little while but then I realized how garish and ugly it was, and then they started adding Poser models to the posters. The 3D models were fine but they were used inconsistently, and they really didn't work with the 10-frame animations.

Some map designers also started requiring (or assuming) that you had the hi-resolution pack installed and you'd get custom weapons that were 3D models right alongside the 2D sprites, or custom enemies/tiles that were 3D models.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

exquisite tea posted:

The series also contains everything you forgot to hate about 90s FPSes, with confusing map design and long-rear end key hunts.

I unironically love both these things but the Turoks really push it to the limit. Maps are massive but have very little interconnectedness with dozens of areas in each level separated by teleporters, making it hard to remember how to get to a specific place/door. Some of the keys are so cruelly hidden and hard to find it's almost antagonizing.

The Turoks are extremely lovely in a lot of ways but extremely great in others. The atmosphere and animation, especially. Enemies have so much weight and momentum to them when they move and the death animations are top shelf quality, as are the sounds they make.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think, overall, teleporters are my least favorite FPS mechanic. I'd actually put platforming behind teleporters. After that, I'm also not a fan of those secret doors you gotta hump the walls to find. I like when something is "off" just a bit and if you're observant, you'll find it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

King Vidiot posted:

I kind of felt like I was one of the few who hated the Duke Nukem 3D hi-resolution pack when it came out. It was neat for a little while but then I realized how garish and ugly it was, and then they started adding Poser models to the posters. The 3D models were fine but they were used inconsistently, and they really didn't work with the 10-frame animations.

Some map designers also started requiring (or assuming) that you had the hi-resolution pack installed and you'd get custom weapons that were 3D models right alongside the 2D sprites, or custom enemies/tiles that were 3D models.

Yeah I've always thought Duke's art was really readable and functional. In duke you look at a car and you say yeah that's a car, that's an apt building, that's a film projector or whatever.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

FuzzySlippers posted:

I will never understand wanting to hide a bunch of the screen behind an obnoxious helmet. It just makes me claustrophobic.

There's this Doom mod (or maybe it's specific to Brutal Doom since I only ever see the two combined) that has an intrusive helmet HUD plus a completely obnoxious and pointless holographic projection-looking thing of the Doomguy's face.

It's stupid and garbage but popular for some reason (at least popular enough I've seen it several times in several different places) and that's what I blame on these "90s remembered solely through Brutal Doom" things like Prodeus for having such a HUD.

Like guys, HUDs like this weren't from the 90s they were from Metroid Prime. One of the Doom alpha builds had a helmet HUD but it was an excuse to draw fewer pixels per frame and was done away really quickly when it turned out they could draw more pixels. Also for that matter the face of your character on the HUD stopped being necessary when stereo sound started to be standard, don't waste space on that poo poo

edit: when I play GZDoom I zoom out the HUD to the Quake II-like version that takes up as little space as possible; it may not be authentic but it gives me more viewspace

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 8, 2019

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The funny thing is that I love all of these levels, even DN3D episode 2 (which contains the most sensible level design, since everything's on a space station or space ship, so it's naturally contained), but if I think too much about them, I start to dislike them. :negative:

One thing I appreciated about Duke 3D's second episode is how it starts out on a space station with a huge and beautiful view of the Earth outside the station windows, but then as you progress through the levels the Earth gradually gets smaller and the moon gets larger until the last level that takes place on the surface of the moon.

It's a minor touch but it makes the levels feel connected to one another rather than just a loose collection of maps with a similar tile set.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Vakal posted:

One thing I appreciated about Duke 3D's second episode is how it starts out on a space station with a huge and beautiful view of the Earth outside the station windows, but then as you progress through the levels the Earth gradually gets smaller and the moon gets larger until the last level that takes place on the surface of the moon.

It's a minor touch but it makes the levels feel connected to one another rather than just a loose collection of maps with a similar tile set.

Holy gently caress, I never noticed that! Nice!!

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

so Sigil is supposed to come out this week? but i don't see poo poo about it anywhere. Romero's site and twitter don't say a thing about it. is this poo poo about to get delayed again?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

so Sigil is supposed to come out this week? but i don't see poo poo about it anywhere. Romero's site and twitter don't say a thing about it. is this poo poo about to get delayed again?
What does your heart tell you? Romero made us his bitch again.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

"just like the real John Carmack would have done, had he the tools to do so!"

Mousepractice fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 8, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

treat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ch8yUKwvOM

How is dynamic lighting with tons of bloom still considered a graphical upgrade? I thought we'd have outgrown this by now. I didn't want to bring this up because "if you don't have anything nice to say..." but I'm sick of google flooding my phone with articles praising how great it makes a 25-year-old game look and can't help myself anymore.

As overdone as it looks, it's the lovely animations and poor fluid textures that really kill it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/UberStrategist/status/1126211617304215557

:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

ItBreathes posted:

As overdone as it looks, it's the lovely animations and poor fluid textures that really kill it.
Kind of like the sprites in Street Fighter II HD Remix being such a weird mix with the low frame rate. You can't exactly mess with the frame count in a 2D fighting game without breaking a bunch of stuff, so we got stuck with an odd mish-mash of styles that never quite gelled right.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Any speculate if this is going to cost additional money or will you just need the blood files?

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
i'm going to assume they will ask for money for their commercial porting work, yes

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Elman posted:

Is Turok actually good as a classic FPS or is it just a nostalgia trip?

I'm going to take the contrarian position and say I actually like 1 a lot more than 2. Now, at least; as a wee nipper I was definitely more to the

exquisite tea posted:

Turok 2 is legitimately good with an excellent remaster but the first is really not that great imho.

view.

For me, the big difference is in the level design; 2's levels have a lot more variety in aesthetic and theme, but tend to be longer and more linear, and have mandatory backtracking, which the first's didn't. (The backtracking is fairly painless, once you know what you're doing, but good loving luck if you don't). 1's Ancient City, Ruins and Catacombs and particularly strong, in my mind (Ruins and Catacombs are almost completely open plan), and the only truly mediocre ones in that game are Treetop Village and Final Confrontation (which are very 2 levels, thinking about it- straight paths through pretty environments)- and the latter makes up for it with a cyborg T-Rex. Meanwhile, 2's levels fall off a cliff from The Lair of the Blind Ones onwards.

Gunplay is fairly even between the two; again I think the first has the edge, if only because there are fewer meatsack enemies and rooms you're expected to snipe through, though the second has a more varied and interesting arsenal.

Also, music! I don't know if I'd recognise a single track from Seeds of Evil, but Dinosaur Hunter's drums will never leave my brain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLcTelciPhM

Oh, and the second doesn't have Spiritual Invincibility. Bullet Time: Rave Edition rules.

Ultimately, neither game is particularly great by the standards of classic FPS. Both are definite steps down from anything else this thread regularly discusses. But I would absolutely be down to fire up Dinosaur Hunter for some fun shooty times pretty much whenever.

treat posted:

The Turoks are extremely lovely in a lot of ways but extremely great in others. The atmosphere and animation, especially. Enemies have so much weight and momentum to them when they move and the death animations are top shelf quality, as are the sounds they make.

Yeah, the way a humanoid enemy will slide a little before coming to a stop or lean into a particularly hard turn is :discourse:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If they managed to sort that rights mess out than they deserve some of my money.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm so ready.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I also agree that Turok 1 is the better game. Turok 2 has more environment and enemy variation but it doesn't do much to reduce how repetitive the game is since environment types and monster sets are restricted to their own individual levels. The things that I think the games do really well are much better executed in Dinosaur Hunter than Seeds of Evil but it's also a bit of an Alien vs Aliens type of situation. Turok 2 feels a lot more like comic book action schlock while the original is a simple thing with a stronger atmosphere.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

everyone adds big ugly helmet huds to doom because its in the doom bible as a feature they wanted to put in but didn't/couldn't

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There are many paths to Doom enlightenment.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Can I just say one thing? These graphics alone, the bloom, the effects... those are fine. I have no problem with them, despite nothing really standing out, art-wise.

The problem is that Doom and Doom 2's levels were so weird and abstract, and for the graphics at the time, that worked. It was no problem. I'm in a refueling base? Of course, I'm in a refueling base. Hangar? Sure! There's an open area where I'm sure aircraft would land (despite the only entrances to it hidden behind secrets). Makes sense that the Toxic Refinery has a huge pool of green slime near the beginning, let's just forget about the weird, near-empty dark room just a little ways away. Who cares? It's fun and it's fast!

When you go hyper-realistic like this, you can't just go halfway (meaning just the graphics); you'd really need to redo the levels, and at that point, you're that much less like Doom, and are pretty much just your own thing.

I mean, even Duke3D had some weird level design choices, and those levels were considered VERY realistic for the time. I mean, look at E1M1 - Hollywood Holocaust. Neat, it's a movie theatre... that.... is only accessible from a closed-off road that no one could ever get to. Same with Red Light District. You come down an elevator (that was coming from.... where?), which opens up to another alley, or street (:wtc:). This street is, once again, completely closed off by a huuuuuuge concrete wall.

I'm going off on a rant here, but if I was going to redesign Duke's levels to be realistic, I likely would have put up roadblocks with burning police cars and firetrucks at one end of the street, and maybe a bunch of impassible rubble on the other. Sure, it's a fake wall (you'd literally be preventing the player from moving past it, even if they could jump or fly over it normally), but it would at least make sense, visually.

Bleh. The funny thing is that I love all of these levels, even DN3D episode 2 (which contains the most sensible level design, since everything's on a space station or space ship, so it's naturally contained), but if I think too much about them, I start to dislike them. :negative:

The ultimate weird layout that was affected by realism was Resident Evil 3. Dark Id went over it in his classic LPs, but that city makes zero sense. You'll have alleyways that are actually one-way streets with cars on them, but the only way to get to that street is through the back door of a restaurant or something so it doesn't make sense how a car could even get there or whatever.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

everyone adds big ugly helmet huds to doom because its in the doom bible as a feature they wanted to put in but didn't/couldn't

The helmet HUD works in Metroid Prime because 'wearing a helmet' is one of Samus's more notable character traits; putting the player inside the helmet went a long way to selling the feeling that you are Samus. Without that established character trait it just gets bothersome.

(Also, water effects on the screen were still really cool then, and made diegetic sense. Looking at you, every game that does this when the character doesn't wear a helmet or has a third person camera.)

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Plan Z posted:

The ultimate weird layout that was affected by realism was Resident Evil 3. Dark Id went over it in his classic LPs, but that city makes zero sense. You'll have alleyways that are actually one-way streets with cars on them, but the only way to get to that street is through the back door of a restaurant or something so it doesn't make sense how a car could even get there or whatever.

This is why games cost so much to make and come out half finished these days :catbert:

Did anyone really like Turok 3? I played a bit of it but it didn't seem very good coming off 2 (and rage wars) other than how good the models were for a 64 game.
I guess Turok Evolution is now a early FPS now too, that one was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idS4VTBSQQo

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 9, 2019

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Jack B Nimble posted:

One thing I remember positively about Turok, and this is something thr later Half Life 1 often gets credit for, is that you don't start with a gun; getting the pistol is an empowering achievement.

I liked how they had a hidden pistol at the start that was pretty easy to find if you explored a bit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ItBreathes posted:

(Also, water effects on the screen were still really cool then, and made diegetic sense. Looking at you, every game that does this when the character doesn't wear a helmet or has a third person camera.)

When there’s a nearby explosion or other bright flash of light you can see Samus’s face reflect off the glass, which in practice means there’s a momentary giant face filling your TV. Startled the hell out of me the first time it happened.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I mean, even Duke3D had some weird level design choices, and those levels were considered VERY realistic for the time. I mean, look at E1M1 - Hollywood Holocaust. Neat, it's a movie theatre... that.... is only accessible from a closed-off road that no one could ever get to. Same with Red Light District. You come down an elevator (that was coming from.... where?), which opens up to another alley, or street (:wtc:). This street is, once again, completely closed off by a huuuuuuge concrete wall.

I'm going off on a rant here, but if I was going to redesign Duke's levels to be realistic, I likely would have put up roadblocks with burning police cars and firetrucks at one end of the street, and maybe a bunch of impassible rubble on the other. Sure, it's a fake wall (you'd literally be preventing the player from moving past it, even if they could jump or fly over it normally), but it would at least make sense, visually.
See, I just pegged the giant concrete walls you complain about as the roadblocks you suggest, put up in a hasty attempt to contain the alien hordes - which, obviously, didn't work, or else there'd be no game.

Though it doesn't explain the billboard that's plopped atop the first one you see in E1L1, admittedly.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Flannelette posted:

Did anyone really like Turok 3? I played a bit of it but it didn't seem very good coming off 2 (and rage wars) other than how good the models were for a 64 game.

I wasn't a huge fan of it. It felt like it ditched a lot of the stuff that made 1 & 2 stand out and ended up feeling a bit linear and generic-feeling. Still, I didn't hate it and would certainly pick up a remaster of it if Nightdive ever did one although I feel like that probably won't happen since it wasn't as popular and I think it was exclusive to the N64.

One thing I did really like about 3 was how at one point they drop you in a very faithful recreation of the first level from Dinosaur Hunter, complete with appropriate enemies even.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Turok 3 was basically N64 Half-Life, and I really can't hate that.

Rage Wars needs a remaster first, though. That game's fun as gently caress.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I recall Turok 3 having some impressive facial animation for an N64 game, but that's about all I remember

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I had no idea Turok 3 existed.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

haveblue posted:

When there’s a nearby explosion or other bright flash of light you can see Samus’s face reflect off the glass, which in practice means there’s a momentary giant face filling your TV. Startled the hell out of me the first time it happened.

Corruption was king of that moment. I distinctly remember feeling slightly queasy halfway thru the game when I got a visor reflection... and noticed that Samus now had a giant, pulsing, blue vein sticking out right next to her nose. yeeeeeeesh.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

treat posted:

I had no idea Turok 3 existed.

Honestly when I was a kid I didn't even own an N64 and yet I still owned the Prima strategy guides to Turok 1 & 2 just to read them like some kind of idiot. Bought the original Turok 2 PC port and could barely play it until I got a Voodoo 3 for Christmas, but only really exhaustively played the games after Nightdive recently ported them.

I still had no idea that Turok 3 and Turok Rage Wars were two separate games. I've been convinced this entire time that Turok 3 was basically a lovely, glorified arena shooter.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

A lot of what turok was riding on was the bloody combat and long over the top death animations and turok 3 didn't have it instead everyone just falls over turns into a ghost and floats up when they're killed I think they pushed the 64 too far on the levels and models and had to cut back.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Flannelette posted:

A lot of what turok was riding on was the bloody combat and long over the top death animations and turok 3 didn't have it instead everyone just falls over turns into a ghost and floats up when they're killed I think they pushed the 64 too far on the levels and models and had to cut back.

Shiguru Miyamoto envisioned James Bond shaking hands with his felled enemies in the hospital at the end of Goldeneye 007; perhaps Turok could have kissed each and every of his foes at the end of Turok 3.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As it usually does, Perry Bible Fellowship has the answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

It's a good idea but the closest we've gotten is just fighting past all the ghosts of people you've shot in the junk (or that one guy who fell off a bridge and ruined your no kill run) in mgs3.

CJacobs posted:

As it usually does, Perry Bible Fellowship has the answer

ok now the plants and then we can start on the bacteria next week.