Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

CPColin posted:

My favored method for this was Win+R, "poop", Enter. Everybody would get all confused and ask, "Why does my computer say, 'Windows cannot find poop'?"

You know, just about everybody leaves their computers unlocked at my current job and there doesn't seem to be a policy of auto-locking or auto-sleeping, so maybe I should start doing this again.

Or, you know, talk to the sysadmin and get them to fix the security policy.

I just go to the team slack and post "hey, tomorrow I will be bringing cookies for everyone" on their PC. Everyone wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Clanpot Shake posted:

My least favorite part of working there was the "silly" emails coworkers would send to the entire team if you walked away and didn't lock your computer.

My absolute favorite part was the exploding reply-all chains ("please take me off the distro thx"). Happened twice in a month and got so bad a manager replied saying something along the lines of, "if it were in my power I would fire all of you who have replied to this thread."

Oh god, the email chain bombs. It would hose up the Exchange servers so bad. Out of the 457,533 people currently employed by Accenture I would argue the vast majority should not be allowed within 10 feet of any active electrical current, let alone a computer.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

BabyFur Denny posted:

I just go to the team slack and post "hey, tomorrow I will be bringing cookies for everyone" on their PC. Everyone wins.

This post made me wonder, "Does my department even have a Slack channel?" and it turns out it does! It's for all the student employees to tell each other when they won't come in.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

CPColin posted:

This post made me wonder, "Does my department even have a Slack channel?" and it turns out it does! It's for all the student employees to tell each other when they won't come in.
My local coffee shop has an employee Slack

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ocean of Milk posted:

Depends if everyone involved already plays videogames. If not, basically limiting the secret santa to games only seems like an issue, and a unnecessary limitation. Why not do a regular one where steam gifts, or digital gifts in general are accepted/encouraged?
Also make sure it's actually possible to gift anonymously on these services.

For a team building thing once, we all did a sit-in with Minecraft. I really only got away with that since the people that didn't have a license had kids that would have liked to have one. If the team is in some large corporation, I can't imagine the entire team really being gamers.

That being said, if somebody's a real enthusiast, they could point out some of the more novel things on Steam. Heck, my own first purchase on Steam was Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes for me and my board game folks.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

Now that's a real team dynamic exploration right there.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Last day is tomorrow and my account is locked out of nearly everything now. Could hardly even make it to the skype call for my exit interview.

Already submitted my timesheet for a full day tomorrow, so thanks for the free day of pay, fuckers! Glad I already pulled copies of my pay stubs and everything...

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
HR guy wants to take PTO tomorrow so said gently caress it.

/s but maybe not...

I'm not sure that I couldn't log right back into some old jobs/projects. Especially working in tech where there's shadow chat apps and Trello boards all over the drat place.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Protocol7 posted:

Last day is tomorrow and my account is locked out of nearly everything now. Could hardly even make it to the skype call for my exit interview.

Already submitted my timesheet for a full day tomorrow, so thanks for the free day of pay, fuckers! Glad I already pulled copies of my pay stubs and everything...

Also last day tomorrow, totally opposite situation though. I doubt IT even knows I'm leaving. Timesheet submitted, just been watching twitch at work all day. Can't wait to get out of this place.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Xguard86 posted:

I'm not sure that I couldn't log right back into some old jobs/projects. Especially working in tech where there's shadow chat apps and Trello boards all over the drat place.

I've worked for some places with absolutely abysmal internal security. I recently had to email a job I quit 5+ years ago to tell them not to worry if they saw me in their Google drive because I was tired of seeing their documents in my "shared" list and was revoking my own access.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

HR sent out 15+ calendar invites at once to the entire company. We are not a small company.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Keetron posted:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/04/23/hertz_accenture_lawsuit/

having worked for another Monster Consultancy and dealing with them a lot during my time at a variety of companies, this is basically Accentures (and Cap, Atos, etc) business model. But Accenture is notorious for having super slick sales and a huge legal team making sure clients can do nothing but pay up.

Clanpot Shake posted:

....Combined with their incredibly management-heavy structure, they had a whole lot of people planning and putting presentations together for the client and very few people actually capable of delivering on the promises they were making. Nothing I ever worked on was on schedule and they'd just throw bodies at the problem. .

Based on my experience this is capitalism as it's finest :smugdon:

But seriously, it's pretty easy for an outsourced redesign (or a new design!) to get entirely hosed up. The clients generally don't have enough technical experience to clearly outline their goals and requirements (hence the outsourcing), and if the outsourced team doesn't give poo poo about follow-up business then it's destined to be hosed.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

There's probably some domain of academia that has researched this thoroughly but my experience is that once an organization grows beyond a certain size, the management, engineering teams, and clients are more often than not groups with interests that are fundamentally in conflict with each other.

The stuff with the 737 Max has been an interesting recent example of this.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

shrike82 posted:

There's probably some domain of academia that has researched this thoroughly but my experience is that once an organization grows beyond a certain size, the management, engineering teams, and clients are more often than not groups with interests that are fundamentally in conflict with each other.

That's not an entirely crazy statement. I certainly think I've observed something similar.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

downout posted:

Based on my experience this is capitalism as it's finest :smugdon:

But seriously, it's pretty easy for an outsourced redesign (or a new design!) to get entirely hosed up. The clients generally don't have enough technical experience to clearly outline their goals and requirements (hence the outsourcing), and if the outsourced team doesn't give poo poo about follow-up business then it's destined to be hosed.

It's even better! When the terms of the original contract are "delivered," often the original team will roll off onto the next project. The client will of course say "well what about X, Y, and Z," which they were expecting but may not have made its way into the statement of work, to which they will respond, "sure, we can do that for another $10 million." If the client agrees and doesn't sue like Hertz did, they'll bring in a whole new team to do the work because the original people are long gone. Often that includes management. The top people on the project get the prestige of having "delivered" on the contract, signing a new customer or whatever, and then they move on to the next pitch. This followup work is viewed as "maintenance" work, and does not bring with it the prestige of fresh ink from a fresh client.

They've constructed an incentive structure where the only thing that really matters is sealing the deal and delivering the absolute barest minimum work to satisfy the contract, then onto the next one. I'm honestly kind of shocked this kind of lawsuit didn't happen earlier.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

duz posted:

HR sent out 15+ calendar invites at once to the entire company. We are not a small company.

Those are rookie numbers. Are you sure you're doing agile correctly?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

shrike82 posted:

This is strongly related to the principal-agent problem and is getting attention.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

duz posted:

How many "Please remove me from your mailing list" reply-alls came out of it?

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Anyone have opinion on Domain-Driven Design? If someone is all-in on it, how does that color your opinion of them?

It depends. I'm personally a big fan of DDD, but I'll admit it's hard to pin down what it actually *is*. It's certainly not a strict methodology, but I tend to look at it as a community (in the sense that a lot of smart people associate themselves with DDD).

I think the stategic concepts of DDD (sub-domains, bounded contexts, ubiquitous language) are almost always valuable to be aware of.

It gets tricky when people are blindly throwing DDD's technical patterns (and especiallly associated techniques like CQRS and Event Sourcing) at every problem. I feel that a lot of people claim to be "doing" DDD while treating it just as a bag of tricks, without a deep understanding of it. It's much like Agile in that sense.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How many "Please remove me from your mailing list" reply-alls came out of it?

Followed by how many "please stop using reply-all" reply-alls?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My boss forgot to take my last week long vacation out of my vacation pool. :smug:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

rujasu posted:

Please stop replying to this chain! Don't you know it's going to everyone?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

My boss forgot to take my last week long vacation out of my vacation pool. :smug:

That's ok, I frequently 'forgot' to put in for my week long vacations

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
You guys track vacation :smug:
Unfortunately, it usually means that we tend to take less vacation :negative:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

necrobobsledder posted:

You guys track vacation :smug:
Unfortunately, it usually means that we tend to take less vacation :negative:

Yah, Tracked vacation, you know that extra bonus when you quit / get laid off. My location got closed recently and i got 5 weeks of extra pay in the severence. If I land a new job when I expect that's going to be a Tesla.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Funnily enough, I worked as an employee for the US arm of Capgemini (Sogeti USA) for a little over 4 years, it was my first job out of college and I can genuinely say that I enjoyed working there.

Maybe I got lucky, but I met passionate devs and efficient teams, clients were generally pleased with our work.

With that said, promotion tracks are incredibly sales/management oriented, there isn't a separate track for technology driven roles, it just goes Sr. Dev -> Manager -> Sr. Manager -> Sales

That, alongside still being on basically a college grad's salary (with only a few cost of living "raises" throughout my tenure there) is what finally made me jump ship about a month ago. I halved my commute, get to work with much newer tech, and increased my pay by about 25k.

The joy still hasn't subsided, going to work is fun again.

Fano fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 26, 2019

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

rujasu posted:

Worse still is when they're not even using reply-all, it's just that they somehow added everybody in the entire company to the mailing list by mistake.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I encountered this once. I added a broad rule to filter the chain and replies all to my trash, intending to remove it later. I forgot about the rule and it trashed many future emails. I realized I was missing a few pertinent messages, but also, so much garbage that would have added to my cognitive load was filtered. Now I basically filter everything to the trash except certain key-words and any message from my boss or boss' boss. Highly recommended for those stuck navigating a corporate enterprise. Anything important should be documented in a wiki or in a ticket.

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 27, 2019

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Speak of the devil, the office manager just emailed somebody in my department and Cc'ed the department alias for no reason. One of my other coworkers just replied-all to the office manager asking them not to do that, spelling their name wrong in the process.

The same office manager yesterday emailed the department alias something like, "Can you take care of this?" and since it wasn't addressed to anybody, nobody answered. (Or somebody did and didn't reply-all.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Sinten posted:

Now I basically filter everything to the trash except certain key-words and any message from my boss or boss' boss.
You are a bad person.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

smackfu posted:

You are a bad person.

It's not that hard to keep a clean inbox, but I'm the only person I've seen that has been doing it for years. Without redirecting nearly everything into the trash.

fakeedit: so I can't really blame him.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I have an elaborate collection of email filters which redirects as much corporate junk as possible to a "[company name] junk" folder which I check every week or two, but I don't have the nerve to go to a whitelist system.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oh man, the meeting on accessibility I just had. The presenter got 90% of the way through an introduction when the last attendee walked in, claimed they wouldn't repeat the whole introduction and would just "rewind thirty seconds," then proceeded to give 50% of the whole introduction again. Eighteen minutes into the meeting, the presenter acknowledged the need to move on to the discussion, because "we booked a half-hour" for the meeting, then cotninued yammering on. At one point, somebody asked, "What are the next steps?" and the presenter replied, "Great question. Near the bottom of the agenda is a section called 'Next Steps'" Thirty-five minutes into the half-hour meeting, I caught the phrase, "In the time that we have left." Finally, a full forty minutes after the meeting started, the presenter said, "Time check?" and looked at the clock, noticed the time, said, "Looks like we're over." and just pressed right on with the meeting.

Oh, and there's a survey that'll take "2-5 minutes" and somebody asked when it's due.

Edit: Forgot about the part where the presenter said, "Fortunately, we don't have many people with accessibility requirements on our campus."

downout
Jul 6, 2009

CPColin posted:

Oh man, the meeting on accessibility I just had. The presenter got 90% of the way through an introduction when the last attendee walked in, claimed they wouldn't repeat the whole introduction and would just "rewind thirty seconds," then proceeded to give 50% of the whole introduction again. Eighteen minutes into the meeting, the presenter acknowledged the need to move on to the discussion, because "we booked a half-hour" for the meeting, then cotninued yammering on. At one point, somebody asked, "What are the next steps?" and the presenter replied, "Great question. Near the bottom of the agenda is a section called 'Next Steps'" Thirty-five minutes into the half-hour meeting, I caught the phrase, "In the time that we have left." Finally, a full forty minutes after the meeting started, the presenter said, "Time check?" and looked at the clock, noticed the time, said, "Looks like we're over." and just pressed right on with the meeting.

Oh, and there's a survey that'll take "2-5 minutes" and somebody asked when it's due.

Edit: Forgot about the part where the presenter said, "Fortunately, we don't have many people with accessibility requirements on our campus."

Did your agile increase?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

smackfu posted:

You are a bad person.

You don't understand, I am an engineer in a sales organization. I would get at least 20 e-mails a day from being included in user group spam, most of which were ALL CAPS EMAILS asking which solution architect owned which client. That and all of the tool chain spam. I went from at least 50 emails a day in my primary inbox to just a few.

Also, they all go into a box called "clutter", which I review periodically. But the big red notice badge isn't staring at me with a triple digit number in the mornings now!

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 27, 2019

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CPColin posted:

Fire this person

Out of a cannon

Into the sun

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Sinten posted:

I would get at least 20 e-mails a day from being included in user group spam
Fair cop, filtering out everything that doesnt actually include your email address explicitly is a pretty good tactic for cutting noise.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I work on a small team of 5 people and we don't have any designated team lead. This means that whenever someone from another department needs some front-end expertise for a feature, someone from our team gets chosen at random to attend meetings about said feature.

Today I picked up a ticket from our JIRA board that was unassigned but someone else on my team had done the requirements gathering (and probably assumed he was going to be the one to work on it). Am I a dick for picking this ticket up when someone else did all the leg work? This is literally stressing me out so much, but I'm also getting sick of this "This dev went to the meetings so the feature is his" mentality

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 9, 2019

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Grump posted:

I work on a small team of 5 people and we don't have any designated team lead. This means that whenever someone from another department needs some front-end expertise for a feature, someone from our team gets chosen at random to attend meetings about said feature.

Today I picked up a ticket from our JIRA board that was unassigned but someone else on my team had done the requirements gathering (and probably assumed he was going to be the one to work on it). Am I a dick for picking this ticket up when someone else did all the leg work? This is literally stressing me out so much

as long as you do the leg work and make the problem go away no one cares. jira and tfs aren't reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Grump posted:

Today I picked up a ticket from our JIRA board that was unassigned but someone else on my team had done the requirements gathering (and probably assumed he was going to be the one to work on it). Am I a dick for picking this ticket up when someone else did all the leg work? This is literally stressing me out so much, but I'm also getting sick of this "This dev went to the meetings so the feature is his" mentality

Are you a dick about this objectively? Probably not, but if youre worried about hurt feelings you should just talk to the person in question, maybe something like this:

Hey <dev> I saw this ticket was still unassigned, I assigned it to myself so we could get it off our plate, cool? If you want to do it yourself Ill assign it to you and pick up something else.

Then if requested actually do assign it to him right away. Unassigned work tends to go ignored.