Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Book Cercei is so much better because she keeps failing. TV Cercei is boring because she does the minimum and always wins.

I still wish Jon had had some mental snap realizing his life was a lie, and Ned doubly hosed him over; why not say he was Benjen's bastard instead of Ned's? Cat would have accepted that, might have even loved the kid. Add to that his mother helped ruin the entire kingdom because lol true love at 15. Naaaaah that would require some characterization!

And lol at Jon telling EVERYONE IN HIS FAMILY WHO BENEFITS IF HE'S THE TARG HEIR instead of keeping his mouth shut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

remember the good old days when robb stark was marching on the south and barely any battles were shown, the show focused on the intrigues instead

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

dr.acula posted:

why does everything i like turn to complete garbage?

Capitalism.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think the actor wasn't happy with the way his character was going and talked to the producers about it. So rather than listen to him and his thoughts they killed him off.

If this is true we should put them on trial for murder

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Spartacus has way more dong and tits and some absolutely brutal murder scenes everyone should watch it because it gets v good after the initial 300 hokeyness in the first few episodes.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Bombadilillo posted:

What could common factor be? :thunk:

But seriously, I think it's the auteur phenomenon.

Thing gets popular. Credited person gets all credit and allowed to run with singular vision (when almost all media is a huge group effort with not assholes not getting credit) and allowed to run buckwild without oversight.

See

The hobbit
Star wars prequels
Metal gear

If you're claiming MGSV is comparable to the Star Wars prequels or The Hobbit, lmao. It had a typical development period for a AAA game and some of that time was used to create a new engine which the studio used for other titles. Really MGSV and The Hobbit's problems were due to excessive studio interference and abhorrent labor practices. Like, sure they all have auteurs involved but that was really only the death knell for the Star Wars prequels. The Hobbit had one auetuer they shitcanned in favor of another at the last minute, then all the other lovely meddling from the studio by making them stretch it into three films midway through production, and all the lovely treatment of NZ actors.

A Handed Missus posted:

remember the good old days when robb stark was marching on the south and barely any battles were shown, the show focused on the intrigues instead

Yeah. Rome was criticized for having small or non-existent battle scenes for the Gallic wars and Civil wars. but it's understandable because the show's budget couldn't accommodate it and so the show focused on the far more interesting political maneuvering and social happenings instead. Sure, it would have been nice to have big battles but since two of the main characters were just ordinary legionaries keeping battles at their relatively small perspective worked fine.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 9, 2019

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

George H.W. oval office posted:

Spartacus has way more dong and tits and some absolutely brutal murder scenes everyone should watch it because it gets v good after the initial 300 hokeyness in the first few episodes.

Spartacus rules

It's all on Netflix right now. Fair warning: the pilot is rear end

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think the actor wasn't happy with the way his character was going and talked to the producers about it. So rather than listen to him and his thoughts they killed him off.

See this tracks a lot more with what I've come to expect from the show.

PostNouveau posted:

Spartacus rules

It's all on Netflix right now. Fair warning: the pilot is rear end

It someone gets over a pretty bad pilot and second episode to become really entertaining. Lucy Lawless and John Hannah are great at chewing up scenery. And a lot of the actors in minor roles do a good jump with what they have plot wise.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Trast posted:

It someone gets over a pretty bad pilot and second episode to become really entertaining. Lucy Lawless and John Hannah are great at chewing up scenery. And a lot of the actors in minor roles do a good jump with what they have plot wise.

It always makes me happy when someone recommends this show because it does own really hard, but then I remember Andy and then :(

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

It always makes me happy when someone recommends this show because it does own really hard, but then I remember Andy and then :(

I got really attached to him as Spartacus, I had a difficult time getting into the later seasons. I think they probably just weren't as good in general.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Trast posted:

Lucy Lawless and John Hannah are great at chewing up scenery.

D.I. Jack Cloth?

i might have to watch this

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Captain Lavender posted:

I got really attached to him as Spartacus, I had a difficult time getting into the later seasons. I think they probably just weren't as good in general.

The third season is kinda meh but the last season is great.

The seasons after 1.5 are definitely worse though. It's hard to compete with the drama of gladiators. I do admire the show for being willing to follow through and completely change into a war drama. I feel like a lot of lesser shows would have kept everyone at the ludus forever when that worked so well *coughhandmaidstalecough*

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I remember them acting like the smuggest babies about it on twitter too, I think that might have been the biggest sign this show was headed downhill before bad pussy. Iirc the dude had done a full dive into the books for the role, which is a goddamned impressive amount of commitment, even for an actor

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 9, 2019

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Cowslips Warren posted:

; why not say he was Benjen's bastard instead of Ned's? Cat would have accepted that, might have even loved the kid.

*well actually* benjen was at Winterfell during the entire rebellion, there’s actually a batshit theory that Robb is benjen and catelyns kid which makes no sense but we

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I remember back in season 1, when we thought D&D weren't garbage because there were a handful of hella good original scenes, like Tywin being introduced while skinning a deer, or Robert and Cersei talking about their failed marriage and the Dothraki. Did they fire whoever wrote those scenes, or were they just not yet super high on their own farts?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

like Tywin being introduced while skinning a deer

Was that really a show only scene? gently caress man I’ve retconned heaps of show stuff into the book bc it was so good, I remember doing a reread and being really thrown by the Arya/Roose stuff bc I’d inserted Tywin in my memory

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
lol I just remembered that they're gonna do absolutely fuckin nothing with Tyrion's moment where he appeared to bond with the dragons

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Skypie posted:

lol I just remembered that they're gonna do absolutely fuckin nothing with Tyrion's moment where he appeared to bond with the dragons

lol

Also lol at the thousands of man-hours, literal decades worth of internet fan theories and discussions and speculation and clue-hunting, all flushed away like the aftermath of an all you can eat sushi buffet.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I just read an article on The Guardian and agreed with it. Gross

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Laterite posted:

lol

Also lol at the thousands of man-hours, literal decades worth of internet fan theories and discussions and speculation and clue-hunting, all flushed away like the aftermath of an all you can eat sushi buffet.

I saw a thinkpiece in my news feed about how the new scenes are "troubling" or smth and I think mainstream media is finally getting on board with what we've been saying for years.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Terrible writing, bad directing, awful cinematography and throwing away years worth of set up and plot weaving to "shock" the fans:

"Shut up, manbabies. Just enjoy it for what it is. It's only television!"

Jon Snow doesn't pet a dog:

"BURN THIS SHOW TO THE loving GROUND!"

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Has a TV show ever tried to pull a "okay, we hosed up, let's uh just pretend x seasons didn't happen?" Like Dallas's dream season but on steroids. I know that one anime did it (Full Metal Alchemist), but Game of Thrones is a big enough money maker that I could legit see HBO going "gently caress it, lets just redo it from season 5" at some point.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

Dany's dumbest thing ever was in season 1, when she asked a woman whose village the Dothraki had just destroyed, who was being raped when Dany wandered by, to heal her injured khal. Because, you know, sorry about your family being enslaved or dead but pretty please heal the man responsible?

Indeed, and it is in fact a major plotpoint.
Dont know if its in the show, but afteer the witch "heals" Drogo and Dany realizes shes actually killing him shes like "but i saved you from the rapings!" to with the witch replies "you saved me from the 51st rape, doesnt quite make up for the 50 i got before that. You really think i am under any obligation to be the slightest kind of thankful? gently caress you dumb oval office."

Its there to show how naive 14-year old Dany is, and how oblivious to the workings of the world around her.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
And from that horrific and painful spark a character grew who would go on to not be so naive now that she understands how truly cold and awful the- *flies dragons directly into an ambush she should have seen a million miles away and flies off as all her armies are destroyed*

Never mind.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I watched The Umbrella Academy after someone recommended it itt. It's pretty good, if you're not sick of superhero shows at this point.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

The problem with show Dany is that they got pulled into fanservice because a bunch of idiots fans are idolizing her to ridiculous degree, so the part about her being dangerous idiot teenager didn't really come through.

And now they are doing the mad queen ending anyway, so many people are going to be pissed off and it's loving great.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

So many thinkpieces incoming

"I (mis)named my child after a tits n' dragons character and they didn't keep writing her as white female jesus, is this misogyny?"

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

BioMe posted:

So many thinkpieces incoming

"I (mis)named my child after a tits n' dragons character and they didn't keep writing her as white female jesus, is this misogyny?"

Ragging on terrible GoT think pieces should be a brand new thread once the finale airs. They've started ramping up lately

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

SpaceAceJase posted:

"Why Sansa's struggle is a powerful message to all women"

"The women of Game of Thrones who changed TV forever"

"Is decapitating a woman of color problematic?"

"Why it's ok for a woman to be a bad guy"

"Why I love Cersei"

"How Game of Thrones helped me through depression"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

mike12345 posted:

I watched The Umbrella Academy after someone recommended it itt. It's pretty good, if you're not sick of superhero shows at this point.

It's a good family drama that just happens to be about superheros. It's even better on the 2nd watch. So tightly written.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

What is Cersei's motivation now? The writers seem to be pushing it for her sole purpose is to protect her children as Tyrion gives a speech about it. We've seen so little of Cersei it's hard to understand what she's trying to do beyond being evil. I'm just guessing that the writers forgot they'd killed all her children so quickly wrote in the pregnancy thing because she has no other motivation beyond "i'm a evil queen"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

hemale in pain posted:

What is Cersei's motivation now? The writers seem to be pushing it for her sole purpose is to protect her children as Tyrion gives a speech about it. We've seen so little of Cersei it's hard to understand what she's trying to do beyond being evil. I'm just guessing that the writers forgot they'd killed all her children so quickly wrote in the pregnancy thing because she has no other motivation beyond "i'm a evil queen"

She believes she deserves to be the queen. This is Bad Motivation, very distinct from Daenerys in seasons 1-7, who wanted to be queen because she deserved to be, which was Good Motivation.

I was gonna drop a pithy remark about how Daenerys is nice to her favorite slaves and printer goons, but honestly Cersei's relationship with Qyburn is healthier than any relationship Daenerys has had since Selmy died.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

mike12345 posted:

Waltzing Along posted:

It's a good family drama that just happens to be about superheros. It's even better on the 2nd watch. So tightly written.

I'm going to wait until Doom Patrol wraps before I jump into another crazy family drama about superfreaks.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

It was the kind of thing you could tell took part of the vigor out of the show. Someone dying young like that is an extra kind of terrible.

lovely Wizard posted:

Has a TV show ever tried to pull a "okay, we hosed up, let's uh just pretend x seasons didn't happen?" Like Dallas's dream season but on steroids. I know that one anime did it (Full Metal Alchemist), but Game of Thrones is a big enough money maker that I could legit see HBO going "gently caress it, lets just redo it from season 5" at some point.

This isn't a "we hosed up" situation but Married With Children hand waved away Peggy being pregnant due to a real life circumstance. Katey Sagal had been pregnant so they'd written it into the show but she lost the child during pregnancy. They didn't want to put her through continuing the story after something like that so it became just a dream.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I was gonna drop a pithy remark about how Daenerys is nice to her favorite slaves and printer goons, but honestly Cersei's relationship with Qyburn is healthier than any relationship Daenerys has had since Selmy died.

Yeah Daenerys is so loving and caring that her advisors are actively afraid of her and fear for their lives should they give her any news or opinions which aren't "you're perf!"

I think in retrospect GoT will suck poo poo on rewatches, because when you watch it all in a row you'll be able to appreciate just how much they dropped the ball and how many storylines and elements just disappear along the way as D&D madly dash for the finish line.

SpaceAceJase posted:

Was it this?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/may/08/game-of-thrones-has-betrayed-the-women-who-made-it-great

Because it seems pretty reasonable, except for...

quote:

To hear Tyrion and Varys – characters who have always been portrayed as egalitarian – say that Jon’s gender would make him a better leader than Daenerys is just depressing.

If I don't completely misremember, they said Jon's gender will make him more acceptable to the other rulers of the seven kingdoms and lamented this fact.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 9, 2019

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
gently caress, I can't remember the show's name (and it's tangentially related anyway) but in the 90s there was this milquetoast sitcom that ran for 4 seasons, but they knew it was getting canned because almost literally nobody was watching it, not even the heads of the networks. So the writers just got loving weird with it and season 4 was about the characters "waking up" and realising they were in a TV show and breaking the 4th wall and having existential crises about the fact their lives were lies and some suits (God) was just going to end their whole world because they were boring.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

She believes she deserves to be the queen. This is Bad Motivation, very distinct from Daenerys in seasons 1-7, who wanted to be queen because she deserved to be, which was Good Motivation.

It's funny because you're exactly right. Dany's relationship with the people around her has pretty much been entirely that they are subservient, whom she allows to exist in her orbit while they facilitate her securing the Iron Throne, and are basically dead to her (or actually killed) when they express any kind of contrary action or even point of view. Frankly given what has been clearly established in past seasons there is no indication at all that she wouldn't continue to be a "my way or the highway" tyrant once she actually got on it. Cersei, as you say, has a much more mature and complimentary relationship with Qyburn.

Der Shovel posted:

Was it this?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/may/08/game-of-thrones-has-betrayed-the-women-who-made-it-great

Because it seems pretty reasonable, except for...

If I don't completely misremember, they said Jon's gender will make him more acceptable to the other rulers of the seven kingdoms and lamented this fact.
They did, but that bit of context, which wasn't even subtext - it was literally said by the characters, was not enough to give the author any pause for thought.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Qyburn may honestly be my favorite character remaining, now that Beric has fulfilled his destiny of being in a hallway between Arya and some zombies. He's just such an amicable, kindly old amoral sociopath who has done more to advance the fields of science and magic than any of the actual wizards and magical destiny despots around him.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ralph Crammed In posted:

The show got fatal bad writing when it turned Cersei into a genius political figure as opposed to a petty idiot. A Feast for Crows is my favorite book of the series cause it's great how you can see Cersei's world collapsing around her from her own POV chapters while she's Queen Regent and getting dunked on by the Tyrells and Pope Bernie Sanders. But in the show made her a competent villain and it loving blows. It's much, much more interesting to see her ignore the threats posed by the church until it's too late, or how she thinks the Tyrells are under her control.

Also what they did to my boy Littlefinger, turning him from an actual genius political figure into a mustache twirling idiot who dumb enough to get caught by bumbleheaded Starks. Robyn should be dead!That was sorta the point of his whole Vale scheme! You can really notice in the show when the books drop off cause every single plotline just crashes into the wall and everyone goes "whelp time to get up to Winterfell I guess for the *big battle*"

DnD clearly do not understand the point of the whole series if they choose Cersei/Mad Queen to be the final battle anyway, because the loving point is that people always have these stupid political games, and it doesn't matter who wins the current war now because in another few years there will be some other power struggle and it just goes on and on. That's why GRR bothered to come up with this elaborate backstory, to show how it just never loving ends with the politics. It's impossible to loving care who gets the Iron Throne at the point because with climate change defeated it just does not matter in the big picture.

There definitely will be another power struggle if Dany wins. That witch slave supposedly made her barren, and she's had plenty of sex since then without getting pregnant. If she has no children she has no heirs. The death of queen Dany will mean another bloody succession crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Facebook Aunt posted:

There definitely will be another power struggle if Dany wins. That witch slave supposedly made her barren, and she's had plenty of sex since then without getting pregnant. If she has no children she has no heirs. The death of queen Dany will mean another bloody succession crisis.

The show ends with Dany sitting on the Iron throne, belly heaving with twins put there by Jon Snow who dies when Ghost took Artorias' sword and got his revenge.

In the after show segment the writers say, "Dany kind of forgot she couldn't have children."