Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I found the best way to respond to this was "yeah, they don't get viruses because nobody bothers to make viruses for Macs" :smug:

It was a stupid and completely false statement, but it shut them up.

Yea I'd say the same thing. I was trying to find the ad, but I was unsuccessful.
I did find this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U-Dk7l6DlY

Them trying to sell Macs by showing Hindu monks (wait are these guys Rajmanish?) using them is so incredibly Jobs and just early 90s touchy feely as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Randaconda posted:

terrible, with 19 games. :ohdear:

With crappy graphics in only 4 colors, because it's IBM which stands for International BUSINESS Machines. No games here, get back to work!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rockinricky posted:

With crappy graphics in only 4 colors, because it's IBM which stands for International BUSINESS Machines. No games here, get back to work!

I have truly been owned. :smithicide:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh god remember Boss Key's being built into games? That was a selling point on I think Space Quest 2.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Macs are great. Except for the keyboards on the laptops.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Len posted:

The simplicity of having one button is the best

The responses to "so your computer is designed for people who can't tell left from right?" were always pretty amusing.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Len posted:

The simplicity of having one button is the best

The "one button" joke was played out back in the 90's. My dumbass coworker tried to use that as an insult about a month ago.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

twistedmentat posted:

Oh god remember Boss Key's being built into games? That was a selling point on I think Space Quest 2.

What's a Boss Key?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

You could press a certain key or key combination and the game would flip to a screen showing a fake spreadsheet or similar so that it look like you were working.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PhotoKirk posted:

The "one button" joke was played out back in the 90's. My dumbass coworker tried to use that as an insult about a month ago.

Do they still? I haven't used a Mac since highschool where outside of the broadcasting room everything was an imac with a hockey puck attached. The one buttoned hockey puck was a thing.

At least they eventually upgraded to lasers replacing the balls constantly apparently started to cost too much

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sweevo posted:

You could press a certain key or key combination and the game would flip to a screen showing a fake spreadsheet or similar so that it look like you were working.

Which is hilarious because it looked nothing like Excel or Lotus or any other actual spreadsheets.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Len posted:

Do they still? I haven't used a Mac since highschool where outside of the broadcasting room everything was an imac with a hockey puck attached. The one buttoned hockey puck was a thing.

At least they eventually upgraded to lasers replacing the balls constantly apparently started to cost too much

:lol: so many mouse balls were stolen from my high school

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: so many mouse balls were stolen from my high school

And there was no reason for it beyond teenagers are sticky fingered bastards with no sense of right or wrong.

Fuckers. STOP DOING CRIME

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Len posted:

And there was no reason for it beyond teenagers are sticky fingered bastards with no sense of right or wrong.

Fuckers. STOP DOING CRIME

They were bouncy and hard at the same time

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

They were bouncy and hard at the same time

:same:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Those shits had a steel ball core that could loving HURT when chucked across the room. You could peel the covering off and have a murderball at your disposal.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Len posted:

I'm using a Logitech MX Master 2 with seven buttons and a scroll wheel on my Mac here at the office.

Same coworker claimed that you couldn't upgrade or modify a Mac EVER. I brought my old beige G3 up to the office to show him the PCI slots and the aftermarket stuff I had installed.

Jokes on me for even engaging said idiot. Same guy likes to argue that TRUE COMMUNISM will work when it's tried and Linux + OpenOffice is the greatest workstation on the planet.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So, does that mean we can all agree that Linux acolytes are the worst?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Um excuse me I think that you should be using Arch because bleeding edge rolling release arglebargle [chokes to death on pizza hotdog]

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh God I remember the Linux evangelists. They were so incredibly smug. Like great, but don't act like anyone who uses a Gui or didn't want up command path every time they wanted to load a note pad program is Trump level brain worms.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

PhotoKirk posted:

Jokes on me for even engaging said idiot. Same guy likes to argue that TRUE COMMUNISM will work when it's tried

Sounds like my kind of guy

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Ran across this T-shirt design yesterday.

Sorry for the wrinkly pic.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

GelatinSkeleton posted:

Sounds like my kind of guy

Your fedora is crooked.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Iron Crowned posted:

My coworker loves linux meddling but he recognizes it's an extremely not normal thing that appeals to certain people and he doesn't fly into a fury if you mention popular OS.

Remember when every webcomic ever had a "weird douchey Mac/Linux nerd"?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitter.com/nightopening/status/1126241630317625344?s=21

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

PhotoKirk posted:

Your fedora is crooked.

Those kind of guys are usually fascists.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Remember when every webcomic ever had a "weird douchey Mac/Linux nerd"?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I was surprised that Errol Morris directed those annoying Mac ads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMt2MK67-Qw

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

PhotoKirk posted:

I brought my old beige G3 up to the office to show him the PCI slots and the aftermarket stuff I had installed.

Have you finished paying it off with your second mortgage yet?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Darthemed posted:

Ran across this T-shirt design yesterday.

Sorry for the wrinkly pic.

Is that Daria as Biggy or Cosby?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

ryonguy posted:

Have you finished paying it off with your second mortgage yet?

Bought it with cash from playing in penny stocks during the dotcom boom.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

Is that Daria as Biggy or Cosby?

Biggie, roughly translated from this picture.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Darthemed posted:

Biggie, roughly translated from this picture.

That's what I thought.

Daria, every girl i should have been into in high school.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Weird video game ads, and screen savers that cost money was very 90s.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Secret of Evermore was great. It was rushed out, and there's this odd half-completed quality to it that makes the game feel darker than it should.

https://rainwoodworks.blogspot.com/2010/09/secret-of-evermore-was-one-of-my.html
Cool creepy pasta written by a goon, from the video game urban legend thread

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
If you still want to pay money for screensavers, https://www.3planesoft.com/ has your back!

I mean, they're really fancy ~3D~ screensavers but still.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I just have a folder called background that I use as both rotating backgrounds and screen savers. Though for some reason the screen saver only ever shows the picture of Peggy Olsen from one of the last episodes of Mad Men walking down the hall with her office stuff with a cigarette in her mouth.

Well, better than the Greg Land art that is in there that i keep meaning to remove.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Best screensaver I ever had was a free Star Wars space battle simulator.

All the littlee ships, tie fighters, A and X wings, all the way up to the Falcon would fly about and shoot each other with tiny lasers. No battle was the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs
Weird vidja game ad that's always stuck with me is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcWjw0r7e20

I remember it playing during Channel 1 News and our horndog teacher getting this lecherous look on his face to those swaying hips... only for that look to crash into confusion and horror. One of the most amusing moments of homeroom.