Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

evilweasel posted:

theoretically, it means that internal discussions in the executive branch have some level of immunity such that people can give unfiltered advice without needing to draft every email as if it would be potentially discoverable. it is not an absolute privilege, but it means you need a much higher level of justification before you can get the documents. "we're conducting general oversight" doesn't get you there, "we've got some suspicions that bad stuff happened but are still looking into it" probably doesn't get you there, "we have specific evidence that a crime was committed and probably involved these people at this time, so we need those documents to prove what happened" probably does.

in practice its a request for five conservatives on the supreme court to delay any discovery for years and then rule on a transparently partisan basis in a decision that will magically be completely inapplicable when a democrat is president.

Still, the old adage about "dance like nobody is watching, sing like nobody is listening, and write emails like every word will be read out loud in a deposition" should still apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
lol

https://twitter.com/scontorno/status/1126155157333532672

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
How the gently caress can Trump claim executive privilege over the Mueller report. Something he had nothing to do with and is already released. And also apparently completely exonerates him.

gently caress this poo poo is so stupid.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 8, 2019

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

He's not supposed to be able to exercise EP on private citizens either, so he shouldn't be able to stop McGahn from testifying. McGahn will stop himself from testifying because he's a shameless rear end in a top hat.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pook Good Mook posted:

How the gently caress can Trump claim executive privilege over the Mueller report. Something he had nothing to do with and is already released. And also apparently completely exonerates him.

gently caress this poo poo is so stupid.

five shameless scotus justices

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Also, if anything ever matters again, Trump constituted 1% of claimed losses in the US for 10 years and subsequently admitted to tax fraud in a follow-up tweet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/bm3w1p/trump_explains_his_businesses_lost_so_much/

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pook Good Mook posted:

Also, if anything ever matters again, Trump constituted 1% of claimed losses in the US for 10 years and subsequently admitted to tax fraud in a follow-up tweet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/bm3w1p/trump_explains_his_businesses_lost_so_much/

the other big thing is the NYT flagged a $50m interest payment he claimed to have received in 1989 that there's no chance whatsoever was a real interest payment. they appear not to have enough info to know what it actually was (or, enough evidence to print what it was if they have a private suspicion) but it's very clearly dirty as all hell, so the article just notes it and explains why it's definitely not an interest payment. but because they don't say what it was (and explain it's probably tax fraud or dirty money) people missed what a big deal that was.

fortunately new york state is going to turn over all his state tax forms to congress to bypass the irs :sun:

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 8, 2019

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

evilweasel posted:

the other big thing is the NYT flagged a $50m interest payment he claimed to have received in 1989 that there's no chance whatsoever was a real interest payment. they appear not to have enough info to know what it actually was (or, enough evidence to print what it was if they have a private suspicion) but it's very clearly dirty as all hell, so the article just notes it and explains why it's definitely not an interest payment. but because they don't say what it was (and explain it's probably tax fraud or dirty money) people missed what a big deal that was.

fortunately new york state is going to turn over all his state tax forms to congress to bypass the irs :sun:

Which is on top of the interest income he reported that would have required he have at least $300 million invested (going by average rates of return) during the same period he claimed losses of $1 billion.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Does any of this matter in YOOL 2019 since this tax fraud is outside the SOL? At best it's justification to seek current tax returns that are within the SOL? That's the best that's going to come of this, right? And Trump is just going to run the clock out with bullshit on that no matter how dead to rights he looks.

Nothing matters. Do crimes.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Could repeated acts of fraud over an extended period of time help categorize the Trump Organization as an organized crime outfit subject to RICO?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

Does any of this matter in YOOL 2019 since this tax fraud is outside the SOL? At best it's justification to seek current tax returns that are within the SOL? That's the best that's going to come of this, right? And Trump is just going to run the clock out with bullshit on that no matter how dead to rights he looks.

its not like trump stopped committing tax crimes its just all of the data that is public is long out of date

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Look Sir Droids posted:

There is no statute of limitations on civil tax fraud.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
The sad thing is, he’s going to get re-elected Bc the dems can’t stop tripping over their own dicks.

He’s not the potus we need, but the potus we deserve.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Wait wait wait hold up here just for five loving seconds.

Trump... is bad?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nice piece of fish posted:

Trump... is bad?

Gonna have to get you to run those numbers again, chief.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Trump... is bad?

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/692155362552778752

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Well, poo poo. If it'd make any of you feel better, I'm having a naming party for the cabin middle of next month. If you show up there's beer, barbecue, whiskey in the middle of the forest? There will be a campfire, hopefully nice weather.

gently caress I forgot to update my cabin thread. Have to do that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Well, poo poo. If it'd make any of you feel better, I'm having a naming party for the cabin middle of next month. If you show up there's beer, barbecue, whiskey in the middle of the forest? There will be a campfire, hopefully nice weather.

gently caress I forgot to update my cabin thread. Have to do that.

I vote for "Steve."

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

I vote for "Steve."

That means "turgid" in norwegian so no. I'm open to suggestions, though.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I vote for "Turgid". What does that mean in Norwegian?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

The first sentence indicates you're not very open to suggestions :colbert:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

if you need something that is more "you", how do you say 'flaccid' in Norwegian?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I'm going to pretend I knew that and double down.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

obviously it should be dedicated to Toona. thinking either "study group girl" or "divorce finalized."

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

EwokEntourage posted:

obviously it should be dedicated to Toona. thinking either "study group girl" or "divorce finalized."

Do you name cabins in the same manner as boats or race horses?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Well if I got to name your cabin I would've named it Kingsley, for example.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Strong second vote for Steve

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Look Sir Droids posted:

I vote for "Turgid". What does that mean in Norwegian?

Nothing. But if you seperated the syllables it'd mean "trip, gosh".

evilweasel posted:

if you need something that is more "you", how do you say 'flaccid' in Norwegian?

"evilweasel"

nm posted:

I'm going to pretend I knew that and double down.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Strong second vote for Steve

loving god damnit. I'll steve what I can do.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Why are you all talking about some blowhard reality tv host?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Steve?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

My dad's name is Steve so this is all extra funny.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Name it Law Hut, Nord.

or Steve

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

LOL, this ‘myths and facts’ document from the Executive Office of Immigration Review (the immigration courts) is bonkers. Imagine a criminal court issuing a document stating like, “Do you know most accused are guilty? Also we are definitely neutral arbiters and are definitely not violating due process.”

Also, I am pretty skeptical of these statistics given what is going on in the document overall. The thing about how there aren’t significant disparities in asylum grant rates across courts is an actual, straight up misrepresentation; Syracuse University independently tracks the data through FOIA. I also think the percentages on representation are wrong but I don’t know that one off-hand.

When CBP or ICE does something lawless I kind of expect it, but the erosion of the adjudicative body itself is a new, grim reality.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Name it Law Hut, Nord.

or Steve

Alternative cabin names:

Sovereign Acres
Bartleby's Rest
The Easement-free Zone
Beware of Lawyer
Niflheim
Enthusiasm Waning

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Goonheim.

or Steve.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Name it The Study Room.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Blackacre.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The Dagda posted:

LOL, this ‘myths and facts’ document from the Executive Office of Immigration Review (the immigration courts) is bonkers. Imagine a criminal court issuing a document stating like, “Do you know most accused are guilty? Also we are definitely neutral arbiters and are definitely not violating due process.”

Also, I am pretty skeptical of these statistics given what is going on in the document overall. The thing about how there aren’t significant disparities in asylum grant rates across courts is an actual, straight up misrepresentation; Syracuse University independently tracks the data through FOIA. I also think the percentages on representation are wrong but I don’t know that one off-hand.

When CBP or ICE does something lawless I kind of expect it, but the erosion of the adjudicative body itself is a new, grim reality.

What do you expect when the prosecutors literally run the court?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

oh hey so this is the thread I want to be hanging out in, not the legal questions one. hi thread I'm still getting used to not being able to protest that I'm not a lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Vox Nihili posted:

Name it Law Hut, Nord.

or Steve

Law Hutt, after the Hutt River Province, and secede. You may have to install a gold fringe around your cabin but IANAL.*

*For another five weeks.