Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

OSU_Matthew posted:

I’m looking for a good durable everyday/travel backpack that’s ~30 liters. I keep seeing really nice ones posted in this thread, so I was wondering if anyone can give me any recommendations?

I’d love something I can bike into work with, while having enough capacity for a long weekend trip (travel, not backpacking)

I really like my Fjällräven Travel Pack. It is perhaps borderline too bulky for a daily pack (I work from home so haven’t tested) but really good for weekend trips and flying. There’s a lot of pockets and organisers as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
A pop filter for my Electro Voice RE-320

A G-Shock M5610 because I only own mechanical watches and wanted something more reliable / sturdy.

Replaced the stock strap with the smoother one that comes with the GW-5000

A Geekoto tripod

A couple of cheap used books

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Went antiqing for cameras and ended up with a Chinese chef's knife. Spent the evening cleaning it up as it had a couple small spots of rust on it.

For everyone who enjoys cooking, I can't recommend one of these enough. Really versatile knives.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Grabbed a 27inch 4k monitor "HP Z27" which is highly recommended by The Wirecutter. The cool thing is that it has a USB-C hub so that one cable can simultaneously charge your laptop and also extend the display. It doesn't come with a USB-C cable unfortunately so I had to pay another $20 for a quality one from Anker.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

OSU_Matthew posted:

I’m looking for a good durable everyday/travel backpack that’s ~30 liters. I keep seeing really nice ones posted in this thread, so I was wondering if anyone can give me any recommendations?

I’d love something I can bike into work with, while having enough capacity for a long weekend trip (travel, not backpacking)

I have the smallest Mission Workshop one. After using it every day for over a year, it still looks brand new.
Lightweight and weatherproof. Often around $100.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Backpack goon can’t go wrong with a GoRuck bag. Pricey but you can send it to hell and back and it’ll survive. And if not they’ll repair it for life. Perfect for a non hiking backpack with no annoying flair or useless features

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Not perfect. They're heavy, made of abrasive materials, and will make you sweat like a sauna. If you want similar quality and style but without the tacticool culture look at Evergoods, a spinoff from Goruck.

https://evergoods.us/products/civic-panel-loader-24l

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I remember buying my GORUCK bag years ago for about $220. I looked at the prices now and it costs $400.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

If I want a new big external frame pack is Kelty still the way to go?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If your reasoning for getting an external frame is budget you can keep an eye out for sales at REI and get something Osprey for the cost of a new Kelty. My Volt 60 was like 120 and it’s amazing.

If you just like external frames then ignore me!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Inzombiac posted:

I have the smallest Mission Workshop one. After using it every day for over a year, it still looks brand new.
Lightweight and weatherproof. Often around $100.

Awesome, thanks! I think it was mission workshop that I was trying to remember!

I’ve got an Osprey Talon 22, and I freaking love that pack for day hikes and cycling. I’m just looking for some of these kickstarter type packs with heavy denier weave, weather resistance, and large capacity for carry-on airline travel type stuff. Been doing a lot of weekend city trips and my ten year old 20l Timbuk2 is just too minimal. Like I just did the five boros cycling tour in NY this weekend, and it was all I could do to just get my cycling kit and shoes into the pack.

Bottom Liner posted:

Not perfect. They're heavy, made of abrasive materials, and will make you sweat like a sauna. If you want similar quality and style but without the tacticool culture look at Evergoods, a spinoff from Goruck.

https://evergoods.us/products/civic-panel-loader-24l

This was the other one I’ve seen posted here, thanks! The 40L pack looks about perfect, I think it’s down to that or the Mission Workshop Fitzeroy VX.

I love this thread, you guys always find the best stuff :allears:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BgRdMchne posted:

If I want a new big external frame pack is Kelty still the way to go?

I think they’re pretty much the last external frame game in town. That being said, they do make great packs and are super comfy to carry hefty or awkward loads. Customer service is great too, they sent me replacement frame pins no questions asked. Highly recommend if you’re looking for external frame.

That being said, I also encourage you to check out cuben fiber packs like Zpacks Arc Haul. You can drop 2-3 pounds off your base weight, and they’re super durable. I had mine loaded with 50 pounds of water and gear for a week last year and it performed admirably. Customer service is good too, they fixed an issue with mine where a frame support piece kept coming free, no questions asked.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The only other external frame pack I know of are the Mystery Ranch ones using the NICE system. They're pretty good, but stupidly expensive IMO.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
I travel a lot so I bought a doofy guitar to play in AirBNBs and hotels.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

There is nothing doofy about a Steinberger.

I've wanted one since i was a kid in the 80s

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

There is nothing doofy about a Steinberger.

I've wanted one since i was a kid in the 80s

There, however, is a whole lot doofy about Steinbrenner

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

My bag recommendation is Bradley Mountain. Not cheap, but great bags. I've been carrying their Biographer for a while now, and my partner a Wilder, and we've been around the world with them, and I've had mine out at sea, and they really only look better for it. They're not the lightest or most technical bags, but they hold stuff and don't fall apart, and that's what a bag needs to do.

https://www.bradleymountain.com/collections/bags

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

AnimalChin posted:

I travel a lot so I bought a doofy guitar to play in AirBNBs and hotels.

Make sure you get the string adapter so you aren't stuck buying double-ball strings forever.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Just bought myself a ticket to Dallas Stars @ St. louis Blues Game 7 tomorrow night. I'm pumped.

Top Quark
Aug 2, 2010

"Going where no man has gone before."
A 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT

(Not my pic, but the color is the same)

Got it relatively lightly used for the same price as the entry level trims are going for. It's super fancy and I'm pumped to finally not be driving a beater. c:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

New kicks for work.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Those are cool

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

These bomb rear end Tiddies, because it's almost summer.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Are those just flip flops that someone made with junk they found in their garage?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I like the colors but drat those are over 40 dollars.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

couldcareless posted:

Are those just flip flops that someone made with junk they found in their garage?

Pretty much! Since 1973!

Like, I think that's actually how they were first made.

Rolo posted:

I like the colors but drat those are over 40 dollars.

Probably a bit of a made in USA premium. But eh that's what a pair of Rainbows cost as well.

ReidRansom has a new favorite as of 00:06 on May 8, 2019

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

ReidRansom posted:

*desire to shop-shame intensifies*
*reads thread title*

Cool thongs, dude.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ReidRansom posted:

These are weird and cool and I think I want some? Florida summer is approaching fast.

Are they as legendarily soft as they claim?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Yes, yes they are. They're pretty thick.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Oldstench posted:

Make sure you get the string adapter so you aren't stuck buying double-ball strings forever.

WHOA thank you very very much for this. I had no idea this existed.

I bought 2 extra sets of strings but I bookmarked http://www.headlessusa.com/string-adaptrrs for when I burn through them.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

A couple of first edition translations, I've read The Name of the Rose before but not Baudolino.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Whole buncha big rocks

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

stevewm posted:

Congrats! Now you get to have fun discovering (and hopefully fixing) all the terrible poo poo the previous owner did! :D

Thanks! Doesn't seem like there will be much unexpected PO nonsense. Almost everything that really matters has been replaced or updated already. Had all the proper inspections done and everything is in order. No horse infestations or anything. It's a meager 1/3 acre anyway so it's Shetland ponies for me if anything. Its enough space for my wife and I, our kids and cats. Been trying to talk the wife into getting a Corgi though. That yard is plenty big for a dog with tiny little legs.

The place has all new appliances as well, aside from a fridge. Been looking at one like this..

Anyone have any advice? We'll be getting a chest freezer so that isn't really an issue. I love the idea of a windowed door. Gotta have an Ice/water dispenser too.

Spamtheman
May 30, 2005

Effer of the ineffable

Megabound posted:

A couple of first edition translations, I've read The Name of the Rose before but not Baudolino.

Baudolino was excellent, enjoy!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Picked up a few things for a backpacking trip in The Great Smoky Mountains at the end of the month.

Thermarest Prolite Apex Sleeping Pad

Sea to Summit Aeros Premium Pillow

Eagle Nest Outfitters Doublenest Hammock

Jetboil Flash Stove

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have that pillow. Total godsend after using a down jacket a few times.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

rockcity posted:

Jetboil Flash Stove

Just a word to the wise; don't plan on using this if it gets below, say, 40 degrees-ish. If you CAN get it to light, it'll take years to actually heat up any liquid inside. The mug-shaped pot is better than the pot-shaped-pot for that, but... it's not that powerful of a stove.

I still use it as my primary backpacking stove.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Rolo posted:

I have that pillow. Total godsend after using a down jacket a few times.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. My wife and I camped in Yellowstone and Grand Teton last year and tried to do it with no sleeping pads or pillows. It was goddamn miserable. I've camped plenty of times without either when my tent is on grass, but all the surfaces we had were super hard dirt and we both slept terribly all three nights. This will be like a five star hotel in comparison.

The Prong Song posted:

Just a word to the wise; don't plan on using this if it gets below, say, 40 degrees-ish. If you CAN get it to light, it'll take years to actually heat up any liquid inside. The mug-shaped pot is better than the pot-shaped-pot for that, but... it's not that powerful of a stove.

I still use it as my primary backpacking stove.

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus from what I hear. Thankfully it shouldn't dip near that low on this trip. I just wanted something dead simple for now that should be fine in anything north of 40 degrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Some wall arts.

couldcareless posted:

Whole buncha big rocks

I'm jealous. I really want to build something. Need a project. I'm going to be building some potting benches and other stuff for my new place at some point, and I'm trying to find an old FJ60 to restore, but I've got an expedition coming up, and then my wedding and a month in Europe just after, and so probably won't have time for any of it until next spring.