Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

this game loving owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I took a few days away from Mordhau and it feels like all my reflexes have rotted away. I don't think I've ever gotten so rusty at a game so quickly.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the longsword also loving owns

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Public service announcement: The bardiche is fun and good. Imagine a maul that trades in the 1hk for like twice the range. And of course the invaluable ability to lop off limbs and heads. :getin:

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Roobanguy posted:

the longsword also loving owns

Hell yeah it does.

https://clips.twitch.tv/FlirtyCloudySnoodDoggo

Hommando fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 9, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I have a lot of fun getting in real close to the melee fights and using the recurve bow as just a really long spear to poke enemies in the ankles while they're fighting someone else. Load up on a fair amount of armor and loot a big melee weapon somewhere out of the pile of corpses on the battlefield, and you can hold your own in melee when the enemy inevitably charges at the archer for an "easy kill". Actually I think I get more kills by aggravating enemies with arrows and getting them to charge into range of a borrowed greatsword than I get by clicking heads with the bow. Mostly that's just because I'm bad at aiming though.

Also, wow the game is so much more colorful if you turn on the friendly indicators and then switch off the red/blue team colorschemes.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
The most fun I've had is making an all light armor old man with a bloodlust and a messer and just running around into the back of the enemy formation and chopping archers up. Or just running really wide of wherever the front line is and then sneaking up and chopping knights in the back while they duel.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Motherfucker posted:

Playing duels is where my couple thousand hours of hours of Chiv paid off. All you really need is one skill: Ignoring feints. You can pretty much pound an axe through even the most try hard dragger eventually if you never flinch... Especially hillarious are the multi feinters who spend 30 stamina in one spastic flail before getting parried like its nothing... Nothings better than powering through it and just smacking aside their weapon when they try and parry you with no stamina and get disarmed and than rocked.

Works real good on shield boys too... better even since the shield engenders passivity. The game rewards aggression and you could mentally picture it as a sort of dance, parrying and blocking costs while swinging and hitting even if its parried or blocked costs nothing. So just beat the loving poo poo out shield boys and eventually they'll lose their shield and probably lose their poo poo too.

Yeah this is good advice. It's frustrating dying to feint spammers knowing they are one hit away from having no stam but it's good practice on blocking at least. Once they start morphing huge overhead lunges into head level thrusts and swings at knee height is when poo poo gets real

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
my grossest build is 0/1/0 halberd and dodge

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

my grossest build is 0/1/0 halberd and dodge

i've been having very good luck with 3/2/2 locksword and dodge.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I feel like they should make drags either not work or significantly less effective for thrusts. That would probably go a long way to making it so everybody isn't using rapier/short spear or a 2 handed sword and just thrusting all day. It's kind of irritating to have somebody clearly miss you then all of a sudden you get hit for a sizable chunk of HP.
Everyone flails around so much that "No drag" for thrusts would make people be dodging them on ACCIDENT, even if I could understand the case for reduced speeds/reduced damage the farther the drag, etc.

People can shimmy side to side in plate armor real good. So getting hit in the face with a thrust rather than poked in the butt means I probably deserved it compared to me getting accidental double kill with an estoc swing, because I decided to morph a thrust into a swing against my intended target.

This is less "Git gud" and more "If someone as horrible as me can see the difference, then..." for why NO drag seems like going too far. Though at launch when the servers were more hosed, a lot of my experience with nailing zero drag thrusts to the back of someone's head was it to harmlessly phase through their skull, then have them accidentally kill me with their horizontal backswing.

So that's probably not helping with why I don't :sigh: as hard as I could, be when the Nth rapier user pokes out both of my eyeballs immediately after a chamber. Thrust spammer still (seemingly) have to put more effort into aiming for my head, than anything else, So far as my living dangerously with 1/1/1 armor or gimmicky 1/3/1 vs spear/rapier users goes.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 9, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
So yeah now that I'm getting better shields are just too good and the kick is too bad to properly deal with them. With the two problem weapons, short spear and rapier, a shield user can get kicked, still recover in time to block your follow-up, then stab faster than you can recover from your attack. Every single time, it's not hard to do either. Something needs to be done about that, everything else seems like it's mostly fine.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Orv posted:

So yeah now that I'm getting better shields are just too good and the kick is too bad to properly deal with them. With the two problem weapons, short spear and rapier, a shield user can get kicked, still recover in time to block your follow-up, then stab faster than you can recover from your attack. Every single time, it's not hard to do either. Something needs to be done about that, everything else seems like it's mostly fine.
I am literally kicking people to death with increasing frequency. But gently caress me if it goes from "Hey, kick can be pretty nice actually!" to "gently caress this game" if there is so much as a 2 inch incline up or down. It is a lot harder against rapier users who don't freak out over the first kick actually connecting, though, yeah. But it sure beats expecting attempts to chamber their thrusts to work out.

Murphy's law demands my kick success% goes up the more people start bitching that kicks don't work against shield+rapier users in a match, so that's probably why I'm defending kicks even in their janky state.

I hope they fix the uselessness of kicking up/down because that would also help against people who think standing on the stairs with a zweihander or halberd is the height or tactical prowess. It would be nice that if they make any changes to kicks, they actually polish that and don't just slap on some "guuder vs shields only." effects onto them.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 9, 2019

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Game has honestly gotten more and more boring over time as everything has homogenized into a few weapons and abusing the same busted mechanics. Sure you can kill them but it's not fun.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Section Z posted:

I am literally kicking people to death with increasing frequency. But gently caress me if it goes from "Hey, kick can be pretty nice actually!" to "gently caress this game" if there is so much as a 2 inch incline up or down. It is a lot harder against rapier users who don't freak out over the first kick actually connecting, though, yeah. But it sure beats expecting attempts to chamber their thrusts to work out.

Murphy's law demands my kick success% goes up the more people start bitching that kicks don't work against shield+rapier users in a match, so that's probably why I'm defending kicks even in their janky state.

I hope they fix the uselessness of kicking up/down because that would also help against people who think standing on the stairs with a zweihander or halberd is the height or tactical prowess. It would be nice that if they make any changes to kicks, they actually polish that and don't just slap on some "guuder vs shields only." effects onto them.

My tendency towards slower weapons means I can never seem to actually get anything into the window of a kick. The most reliable way I have of killing shields right now is just waiting for them to attack and playing footsie and that stops working the minute anyone else is involved so they just get a free kill.

It's especially frustrating because I'm starting to even get decent at 1vX fights against people who aren't using shields, but the moment someone with a shield is involved my drag clangs off their shield and I get mobbed down.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Rynoto posted:

Game has honestly gotten more and more boring over time as everything has homogenized into a few weapons and abusing the same busted mechanics. Sure you can kill them but it's not fun.

Do you mean over the alpha or over the week this game has been out?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
How to beat stab spammers and shieldboys apparently

https://youtu.be/eHaCreJXOto

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Orv posted:

I think you have to make sure you accel your attack after the kick. If you go for anything draggy they can block in time. I feel like I can guaranteed hit people consistently with long windup 2-hand weapons after a kick.

I think maybe getting kicked while holding shield puts you in a longer stun than if you aren't doing that. Maybe it's possible a shield user could let go of block, get kicked, and can still recover in time to block an attack.

Orv
May 4, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

I think you have to make sure you accel your attack after the kick. If you go for anything draggy they can block in time. I feel like I can guaranteed hit people consistently with long windup 2-hand weapons after a kick.

I think maybe getting kicked while holding shield puts you in a longer stun than if you aren't doing that. Maybe it's possible a shield user could let go of block, get kicked, and can still recover in time to block an attack.

Yeah I need to get better at accels, I'm never quite sure just where to look for them.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i got unstoppable on a frontline server and felt real good about my videogame skills :)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Orv posted:

Yeah I need to get better at accels, I'm never quite sure just where to look for them.
Just overhead swing and look straight down. Alternatively just stab them in the head if you got a stabby weapon.

I think this vid was posted earlier in the thread on how to land that kick on shield players:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0WXiEODCwE

I think the tl;dr of the vid is you can get a guaranteed kick on a heavy armored player with shield if you get right next to their collision box and then start the kick. You have to be as close as physically possible to avoid them just holding back to get out of the kick.

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 9, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Orv posted:

Stabs are faster than swings. I haven't seen a weapon yet that's too slow to get a stab to the head during the kick-stun. Course that doesn't help too much if you're running an executioner sword and your stab does all of 10 damage .

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh I didn't realize you could morph a kick, that changes everything not even joking.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Orv posted:

My tendency towards slower weapons means I can never seem to actually get anything into the window of a kick. The most reliable way I have of killing shields right now is just waiting for them to attack and playing footsie and that stops working the minute anyone else is involved so they just get a free kill.

It's especially frustrating because I'm starting to even get decent at 1vX fights against people who aren't using shields, but the moment someone with a shield is involved my drag clangs off their shield and I get mobbed down.
I will fully admit I swear by a shortsword or arming sword as a backup, even when I'm not kicking things. It's a lot easier to slip into a crowded brawl and start racking up finishing blows without accidentally hitting my teammates if I put away my giant war axe and pull out a baby sword. 90% of my feints are canceling a swing that would have obliterated a teammate because I am a huge softie :downs:

So that certainly helps matters, but it's much more satisfying if their brain clearly shuts down over "Kick's work!?" and a Maul overhand or thrust finishes the job. (Note to self, see if the punch perk raises kick damage past 10).

That said, even bothering to give kicks the time of day can still be super loving iffy 1vs1 (It's super iffy in general, because I need to be basically humping them by the time kicks will hit them before they backpedal out of reach on accident), because the backpedal speed on full plate is real fast. You'll see the difference between people who actually know what they are doing, or expect "Shields are overpowered! Even the 40 kill god is crying over them!" to carry them.

And again, gently caress even the most gentle of slopes if I want to kick somebody :argh:

But if you see 2-4 people on your own team trying and failing to kill a shield+Whatever use (Or more commonly, two-hander knight backed into a corner parrying three guys at once and slowly picking them apart), Just walk right on up focusing on defense, or making them waste parries with safe thrusts (poo poo damage thrusts still work for that :pseudo:), until you can kick them (side angle shields do seem a big absurd, at times, if I try to stab them anywhere but from directly behind), and watch the magic happen as your team takes them apart thanks to the opening.

Switching to 3rd person mode also seems to help a shitload if your goal is plowing through a shield user rather than dueling tricks (or judging team safe angles in a brawl). Because if trying to use precision techniques like chambering their morph slashes and regular thrusts isn't helping anyways....

I'm a filthy casual who like to run around looking for teammates stuck in 1vs2+ fights to help anyways between racking up objectives points. So I expect I'm just more comfortable in full chaos combat than proper technical fighting. Which can at least lead to the hilarious results like my bastard sword knight turns the tide by pulling out a blacksmith hammer and building a wall to cock block the enemy advance.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 9, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean I'm pretty comfortable with all of that. I had several rounds tonight where I was below only the alpha/super Chiv people and one round last night where I went 45/15 (mostly seal clubbing, admittedly). Basically every time I bitch in here it's because I'm still really enjoying the game and I don't really have anything to contribute other than some musings that still aren't really impacting my enjoyment of the game. I do think the fast weapon/shield combo is probably too good even if you can land the kicks and demolish somebody, but it's not stopping me from playing or sending me into a frothing rage.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I get around the "obliterating teammates" thing just by exclusively using stabs and overheads.
Actually I use overheads way too much even when fighting 1v1s with no teammates around where a horizontal swing would be far better.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I got a headshot maul throw on a mounted enemy and I'll pretty much never be able to do anything better than that in this game.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm picking up any maul I find and hucking it in the general direction of dudes and getting more done with that than I should, it's beautiful.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Well that was weird - I suddenly found myself unable to hit anyone, and nobody could see me, but I was still in the game.

I've quit out for now.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Known bug.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ah yes I get a permanent version of the first half of that bug every time I log in.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Ah yes I get a permanent version of the first half of that bug every time I log in.

:same:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I wish if I ran out of ranged weapons, it would switch to my other ranged weapons instead of my fists.

Mainly, if I chuck my maul at an opponent, I'd rather have my precious rocks than my stupid lovely fists.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Communist Bear posted:

Well that was weird - I suddenly found myself unable to hit anyone, and nobody could see me, but I was still in the game.

I've quit out for now.

Just leave the game and then rejoin to fix the ghost bug.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Been playing on Aus servers. No real racist stuff so far. Game is crazy is fun

I've seen a bunch of DEUS VULT and REEEEE but for the most part archers being called c-bombs is more frequent. People fighting their own teammates over the catapult seems common too.

Veryslightlymad posted:

I got a headshot maul throw on a mounted enemy and I'll pretty much never be able to do anything better than that in this game.

I arced a rock throw about 40 metres and got a headshot kill while looking at and fighting someone else, I wish I recorded that because it's not happening again.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Feinting immediately after you chamber an attack catches like, shitloads of people who's immediate reaction is to parry a chamber

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Also in a duel server someone was using the lute bot and I asked them to play Flow My Tears and they actually started doing it

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm really satisfied with the look of this dude, shame I'm terrible with the poleaxe.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I think the hitbox for thrusts in general just starts a touch too soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Delacroix posted:

I've seen a bunch of DEUS VULT and REEEEE but for the most part archers being called c-bombs is more frequent. People fighting their own teammates over the catapult seems common too.

I arced a rock throw about 40 metres and got a headshot kill while looking at and fighting someone else, I wish I recorded that because it's not happening again.

there was one guy last night spamming some racist poo poo, but otherwise it's been the same whining about archers, spears, shields, and teamkilling catapults. this game reminds me of playing hl mods online in 2003 in a good way.