Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Good Listener posted:

I definitely blame it for lack of drops.

Yeah this really bugs me too. Also God yes his nephew's music is so painfully generic but Bryan's (understandably) so proud of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Rob or Bryan does a poor comedy job, by Rob having dignity and Bryan is too harsh. Rather than him being an oafish figure who Bryan can humorously blame for things going wrong, Bryan is just an rear end in a top hat.

I don't miss the songs and drops too much, but sometimes just listening to them futz about video for 2 minutes isn't very exciting.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
In the category of Bryan using wrestling terms to apply to real life situations, on Filthy Four Daily he called the end of the Kentucky Derby a "Dusty Finish"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Remember the time Bryan confidently explained what a downside guarantee is and then not long after had to do a show with Lance Storm who had phoned him to tell him he was an idiot who'd gotten the entire thing wrong? :allears:

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Jerusalem posted:

Remember the time Bryan confidently explained what a downside guarantee is and then not long after had to do a show with Lance Storm who had phoned him to tell him he was an idiot who'd gotten the entire thing wrong? :allears:
No...how did he think it worked?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

davidbix posted:

No...how did he think it worked?

It was back in November of 2015 when there was a story about Del Rio having some ridiculously huge downside guarantee. Bryan thought the downside guarantee meant you got given that much money regardless of anything else and then they added all the merch sales/PPV bonuses etc on top of it as well - so if you were guaranteed a million and you did a million and 1 dollars in merch sales, he thought that meant you got 2 million and 1 dollars.

Lance then explained that it was basically the amount you were guaranteed to get whether you earned that much in the year, with WWE making up the difference if you didn't earn as much as your downside, and paying you more if you earned better. He also laid out the way different wrestlers made use of that, like some insisting on only getting their downside guarantee each month regardless of how much they earned and then getting the difference made up at the end of the year (provided they had earned more) in a lump sum.

Hopefully I got that right!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
That’s actually a sensible way of doing it; means that you’re not living a lifestyle based on the number above that and then struggling if something changes in the future and you’re back on your downside. The better way of managing it would be to take it all and then move the money above the downside into some kind of savings account so you get interest on it but in the current situation where you have low interest rates and if you don’t want to risk investing it you might not think that it’s worth trying to manage it yourself.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bryan: Wow, what are the odds a volcanologist would die the same day as Mount St. Helens erupting!
Bryan reads cause of death

Also Granny's little derail about cats and the depth of her friendship with one had me laughing a whole lot.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the punchline to whether bryan should stop cussing or stop wrestling was so obvious but it got a laugh out of me anyway :)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

POST getting a new podcast

https://twitter.com/whpark9/status/1127134780695310336

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
The clip is as sad as you'd expect

https://twitter.com/iamjohnpollock/status/1128070484761948160

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Not as good as the lapsed treatment

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dave taking all the credit for the legend of the Tom Magee match seems a bit rich to me, considering Bret’s book was the first place I (and I assume at least some others) read about it

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

Dave taking all the credit for the legend of the Tom Magee match seems a bit rich to me, considering Bret’s book was the first place I (and I assume at least some others) read about it

he wrote about it in 1988.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Yup

https://twitter.com/TrevorDame/status/1128134025556553728

https://twitter.com/TrevorDame/status/1128134221623508992

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i've never heard of the tom magee thing until 2019 when it first started being brought up online. I believe the first person to mention it was STONE COLD 64

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Holy crap watching it now, in the McGee match Bret actually hits the second rope elbow!!!! The more traditional version he always misses where he land on his back. It looks a little awkward too, like he didnt expect to. I can see them seeing the future in Mcgee after this though. Crowd was hot. Also that highlight reel they put together for him made him look really great.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 14, 2019

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Yeah, I think Bret said something about how he had to tell McGee to move (which is why he pauses on the turnbuckle), McGee nodded his head, and then Bret did the elbow and McGee didn't move out of the way.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Listening to the most recent Cornette Drive Thru show, and his reactions to Lars Sullivan's chud idiocy have been hilarious.

Brian Last [after reading several of Lars' racist posts]: How on earth does anyone work with this rear end in a top hat again after this?

Cornette: Stiffly, I'd imagine.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The Bryan & Vinny & Craig Show is back today with tons to talk about in our look at Raw and Nitro from 19 years ago this week. On WCW, believe it or not, Ric Flair is the World Heavyweight Champion again, and on Raw the Rock, believe it or not, is in the middle of the worst title reign in years. These shows driving me nuts.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

TTBF posted:

Yeah, I think Bret said something about how he had to tell McGee to move (which is why he pauses on the turnbuckle), McGee nodded his head, and then Bret did the elbow and McGee didn't move out of the way.

weird. aren't wrestlers supposed to yell MOVE DUMBSHIT and kick the dude when they gently caress up like that

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/StarrcastEvents/status/1128452197774131200

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The worse Nitro gets the better these shows are.

Sting taking a match home 7 minutes early because hes bored

Major Stash not being Private Stash because he refused to be the lowest ranked member of the Misfits in Action and thats in real life not kayfabed

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lid posted:

Major Stash not being Private Stash because he refused to be the lowest ranked member of the Misfits in Action and thats in real life not kayfabed
that actually would have been a legit funny skit to do but they just changed it off-screen right

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
"Gimmick ho in a stable of gimmick hos"

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Kevin Nash gets a lot of credit for being a cancer on WCW because he was great at it, but Sting was low key very good at the grift as well.

Not wrestling for all of 1997 and showing up to the biggest match in WCW history pale and out of shape. Continually loving off to film movies during 98-99. Never wrestling on house shows. Getting his new contract to say he doesn't have to be on Thunder. Frequently suggesting to go back to the Crow rappelling gimmick so he could get paid to do nothing. Just deciding to end matches early on television because he's bored.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Sting sounds like me if I worked in late WCW.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

People talk about Sting and Nash but they had to literally lift a finger ever for their WCW money, and thus pale in comparison to the Genius Grifter, Lanny Poffo.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lan the man wasn't even a grifter, he was a package deal to get the macho man in atlanta.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Dave knows that Nitro parties were a success. Make it happen, AEW!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

"They say, um, Ric Flair has been with a lot of women.

But that's, uh... that's just the mentality."

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

comedy roasts are embarrassing and awful when professional comedians do them, i don’t want to imagine how bad one done by old wrestlers will be

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jesus WEP posted:

comedy roasts are embarrassing and awful when professional comedians do them, i don’t want to imagine how bad one done by old wrestlers will be
I can think of a few people who could probably pull them off, but we're talking like, Dwayne Johnson and Jim Cornette. People who've been smack-talking on TV forever.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

jesus WEP posted:

going by previous ones, it'll mostly be bawdy stories of the wrestler's youth. There will be at least one borderline nonconsensual sex story.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Dave's brother is a comedian, so he should enlist his help.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

jesus WEP posted:

It's being hosted by Ron Funches who will never, ever say anything bad about anyone more famous than him. Including Chris Hardwick.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

CVagts posted:

Dave's brother is a comedian, so he should enlist his help.

garrett suggested this on observer radio and dave was like 'yeah i need to find(?) my brother' or something weird lol

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Maybe Dave's brother is sleeping on the floor and has been covered in papers.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

"sleeping"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Dave is looking very Dennis Quaid, I'm worried he is going to be mildly annoying to a young couple in a Sonoma mansion.