Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
:derptiel::toot::toot::derptiel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc2U4K8QqiM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Captain Log posted:

My father, much to his delight, has figured out that Serra will devour an ENTIRE ginger snap. One of the kind that’s bigger than a half dollar.

Have you ever seen a cockatiel on a sugar high so big they can vibrate through time?!

:stare: No more entire ginger snaps for you, doofus father and doofus bird.

I'm now imagining Serra as The Flash.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/WritNelson/status/1126432254652309504

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Guys.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

2 of my heavy interests and they just crashed into each other hard

I love everything about it

I dunno which I love more, the cockatiel or the cockatoo goin' full barbarianbirbarian

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I wanted to roll a kenku for a game I was in and speak solely with a soundboard of 100 different clips to emulate imitation habits, but never figured that poo poo out.

Also, the group ended up having 1 hyper misogynistic bastard and the GM would just let him do his thing, so gently caress that.

Clearly the answer is play D&D with a bunch of literal smart birbs.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

today terra discovered fresh coriander, she's been practically living in this bag for 20 minutes now

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Chaosfeather posted:

I'm now imagining Serra as The Flash.

I’m pretty sure she can see through time now.

Also holy hell that bard Cockatiel is adorable.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Faerie Fortune posted:

today terra discovered fresh coriander, she's been practically living in this bag for 20 minutes now

Are we sure Terra is even real

:kimchi:

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

According to the vet, Nugget has the feathers of a 5 year old. What's her secret???? :derptiel:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Faerie Fortune posted:

yeah, Cricket goes absolutely crazy for that stuff. She sees my husband making a quesadilla in the kitchen, and she isn't sure to be more excited at the fact that he shares the cilantro or the fact that he sneaks her a taste of cheese. Either way, she goes in full heart wing eye pinning mode, begging him and of course, he can't resist,. Then she is scarfing the treat as fast as she can and then saying after its all gone..."It's good! It's really good" It's yummy.... did you eat it??"

I mix in some in their food every so often when I make them a birdie curry, and she is completely quiet til most of it is gone lol Trev just hollers "Yum" Its good!" over and over between bites. He picked that up from her... it's so noisy when they think we have food now lol

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I wish my doofus birds would eat fruit and veg.

Serra runs from most things good for her. Literally. I tried giving her some mandarin orange the other day and she jumped and hid behind my neck.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Pip pip pip posted:

According to the vet, Nugget has the feathers of a 5 year old. What's her secret???? :derptiel:

Maybe it's Maybelline?

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Rotten Cookies posted:

I dunno which I love more, the cockatiel or the cockatoo goin' full barbarianbirbarian

BIRBARIAN is my new favorite word. :black101: :derptiel:

Veritas fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 10, 2019

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

Serra runs from most things good for her. Literally. I tried giving her some mandarin orange the other day and she jumped and hid behind my neck.

Have you tried eating it and making yummy sounds and (fake) trying to keep her away from it?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

After a shower, feets can be cold. The modem is a warm place to sit.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

Are we sure Terra is even real

:kimchi:

I'm honestly not quite sure myself sometimes. She's only nine months old and she's such a clever bird already with such a huge personality. Also she's so loving soft you guys its unbelievable

Captain Log posted:

I got Terra to do it by putting her veggies on my plate when we'd have dinner, that way it was a forbidden treat because it came off the Forbidden Human Plate and not the Boring Food Bowl. Eventually she realised she actually liked the food and began eating it in the usual boring places. But she still likes some Forbidden Veggies on occasion and like a moron I give her them because I love my idiot bird daughter

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

RoboRodent posted:

Look at his little tielpants :3:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Faerie Fortune posted:

I'm honestly not quite sure myself sometimes. She's only nine months old and she's such a clever bird already with such a huge personality. Also she's so loving soft you guys its unbelievable

I got Terra to do it by putting her veggies on my plate when we'd have dinner, that way it was a forbidden treat because it came off the Forbidden Human Plate and not the Boring Food Bowl. Eventually she realised she actually liked the food and began eating it in the usual boring places. But she still likes some Forbidden Veggies on occasion and like a moron I give her them because I love my idiot bird daughter

lol that's how I get my two to try new things. I have it on my plate and tell them "No. It's for humans only...you don't get any!!" And then I proceed to eat it and keep it away from them while making yummy noises. It drives them loving nuts to not be able to have any, so eventually they will "steal" a bite that is left too close to them :P Then, of course, cos it's stolen it always tastes better I guess lol they keep trying to get more and eventually, they eat it when its in their own bowls.

My husband never wanted kids...we never planned on having any. But still, I find him telling Cricket in the other room "Don't tell your mum that you got a treat from your papa!" as he sneaks her a taste of CHEESE. I guess he has kids now :P Just short, bitey, feathered, screaming, cheese-loving fiends instead of people kids lol He loves them tho....and I do too. Can't help it!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Tendai posted:

Look at his little tielpants :3:

What would you call him if he were wearing little knitted bag-like covers on each of his feet?

:dadjoke:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

RoboRodent posted:

That modem looks like it has been used for much perching. It's full of poop and bird dust?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

nielsm posted:

That modem looks like it has been used for much perching. It's full of poop and bird dust?

... Probably. It's a highly contested spot on cold mornings and it's actually too high for me to see it well.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

The board of that modem must look like stripes of cooked bird poo poo.

EDIT: While I'm on poopchat, I didn't know when I got Pinto that I'd be finding mysteryshit everywhere. He somehow poo poo on a door jamb, got poo poo on the wall? He also once took a dump that I didn't notice as I had him on my finger over the clothes I'd laid out for that morning. Put on my fresh boxers and got drat it, somebody poo poo in my drawers.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 10, 2019

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

The board of that modem must look like stripes of cooked bird poo poo.

EDIT: While I'm on poopchat, I didn't know when I got Pinto that I'd be finding mysteryshit everywhere. He somehow poo poo on a door jamb, got poo poo on the wall? He also once took a dump that I didn't notice as I had him on my finger over the clothes I'd laid out for that morning. Put on my fresh boxers and got drat it, somebody poo poo in my drawers.

lol

Yeah, our days consist of finding mystery poos in the most interesting places. We go anywhere, we have to inspect the other for poo surprises... it's almost like looking for ticks :( The poos end up the most surprising places!! At least they are relatively easy to clean up and don't stink. Personally, I'd rather find the birds' mystery poo than the cats... the cats are so so gross when they leave us the "special surprise" poos.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pookah posted:

What would you call him if he were wearing little knitted bag-like covers on each of his feet?

:dadjoke:

A Crocatiel? :v:

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012

:rimshot::bird::downsrim:

Jack Forge fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 10, 2019

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

You... you... fiend in bird form!!!

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

dear god LAB. Now I have a visual that will NOT leave me lol Good one though!! Wish I had thought of it first!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I've tried all sorts of mental tricks with Serra. She just seems to be much, much smarter than me.

Iconic Racism
Apr 8, 2009
Hi guys. Not sure where to post this so decided to ask in this thread; when I was a teen, i used to have a pet conure and we would feed it mainly seeds and supplement it with fresh fruits and veges and it was happy as gently caress.

Recently i picked up a pair of budgies and I'm reading information online saying that pellets is much better for them and that a mainly seed based diet is bad for them. I spoke to someone else that then told me the complete opposite. I'm now confused, what should i feed my shrieking avocados?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Seed-only or seed-mainly diets are not good for them. Too fatty. Most that are on that sort of diet will eventually die of fatty liver disease.

Pellets, fresh veggies and fruits, and some legumes are a good idea.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

You are a good Bird, but a bad person :colbert:.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pookah posted:

You... you... fiend in bird form!!!

:laugh:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Kenshin posted:

Seed-only or seed-mainly diets are not good for them. Too fatty. Most that are on that sort of diet will eventually die of fatty liver disease.

Pellets, fresh veggies and fruits, and some legumes are a good idea.

Also, Iconic, this is correct. :)

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Seeds are basically junkfood both for people and birds.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's like if you only ate steak.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You are a good Bird, but a bad person :colbert:.

Oooooh if I knew how to make that cockatiel an AV without losing my custom text and banners...I'd possibly do it. So. Cool.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
On the subject of bird health, today was Auri's yearly physical checkup at the Bird & Exotic Clinic. As always the vet loves the health of her feathers and this year her muscle mass is just fantastic (she's been flighted all winter). We clipped her wings, which is going to take some getting used to for both of us (she can't fly across the room, and I need to pay more attention to her since she's unable to transit the room on her own). All in all a very healthy bird and the vet approves of the diet I'm feeding her. Nutriberries & pellets in the morning (that stay in her bowl all day while I'm at work--well, the pellets do, the nutriberries she eats for breakfast) and veggies (cooked from frozen, a pea/corn/carrot/greanbean mix) for dinner, supplimented by food I share with her, and occasional berries and fruit slices. I'm quite a bit more conservative with what I share with her than many folks, but I suppose I have a special paranoia around birds dying of diet-related diseases.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Another visit with Scout today.

Last night I got a call from Dr. McDonald, she was looking for permission to remove the splint and cast from Scout's leg (which I immediately agreed to.) She likes how well her leg bones have healed and she thought it was time. The procedure went well (and without surgical anesthetic drugs - I'll come back to this) and Scout seemed to be doing well with everything until she just started going at her leg which has resulted in:

THE CONE OF SHAME!!!

Dr. McDonald explained that the removal of the splint and the remaining pin in her leg has allowed proper blood flow back into the leg, and with it she has regained more feeling which is resulting in her sensing the pain of the bone healing - or possibly some nerve damage from the injury. She has had a patient with a broken leg react like this in the past (who also received THE CONE OF SHAME) and after healing up left their leg alone, so we are hoping that is our outcome as well.

Scout got a new bandage on her leg with a "foot" to aid her in walking around which looks hilariously like a little hockey stick. It's not working very well right now due to her sensitivity to that leg.

Another side effect is that I was not able to pick her up. Trying to get her into my hands with my own efforts disturbed her leg and caused her pain. But she wanted to be with me and when I put my hand down in her goon lair she crawled on to it and I was able to get her out for some snuggle time. My poor little birdy, she was really pulling on the heart strings this visit.

She's also on higher doses of pain meds and was dopier than the last times we visited, which brings me back to the surgical anesthetics. This is something that I had to piece together from comments with Dr. McDonald and with the nursing staff, and I still don't know (and kind of don't want to know) the whole story, but apparently during the initial surgeries to stabilise her leg the day she was attacked she reacted poorly to the surgical anesthetics. How poorly I don't know but it doesn't sound good and everyone has kind of commented in a way that makes me suspect that we almost lost her during the procedure due to them. Dr. McDonald not using them last night also sort of confirmed this view for me.

I just want to thank you all again for your extremely generous donations to Scout and helping to spread the word, it's really helped us out. We're into the thousands of dollars for her care and the Go fund me campaign generated almost $900, and we're grateful for all of it.

It's getting a little dusty in here tonight :h:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011
Every Scout update makes me cry but thank you for updating so frequently, Mikerock. I'm always relieved to see good news about her.

Her dumb hockey leg, oh god... Her bones may heal, but I'm not convinced her dignity will ever recover. :kimchi: