Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

DUNT 4GEHT 2 FLAAHP UR ARRMAZ
I think archery really sucks in this game. The arrows are way to slow (even with the longbow) and most of the time its luck if you hit an enemy or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Veryslightlymad posted:

I wish if I ran out of ranged weapons, it would switch to my other ranged weapons instead of my fists.

Mainly, if I chuck my maul at an opponent, I'd rather have my precious rocks than my stupid lovely fists.

Same with getting a weapon knocked out of your hands. I'm a 2/1/0 longbowman who just got jumped for 70 health and had his bow slapped away, cut me a break here and assume I want to switch to my short sword, okay?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

housemaster!!1 posted:

I think archery really sucks in this game. The arrows are way to slow (even with the longbow) and most of the time its luck if you hit an enemy or not.

A whole lot of really lucky players around then, because people get hosed by archers goddamn constantly.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I think I've gotten hit by one once, and I've ran face first into plenty of them on that one deathmatch map with the multiple archways. Bowcucks should try an fps if they want to shoot people.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Does brawler increase kick damage?

There should definitely be a perk that boosts kick damage.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
if you use horses you can go gently caress yourself.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

housemaster!!1 posted:

Try not standing in your spawn tower and sniping.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Bows are just really long-range spears. Also I want proper objective maps instead of this weird hybrid.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Bows are just really long-range spears. Also I want proper objective maps instead of this weird hybrid.

The thousand ticket matches take too long for my taste right now, especially since all it really comes down to is holding middle point for slightly longer than the enemy and waiting the clock out. Most of the time game is set before the first quarter and there is hardly ever any back and forth if one side then fortifies middle.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If anything archers are probably OP given the nature of the game and map design.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

School Nickname posted:

Just played a game where I got a 7-kill streak in like 20 seconds when outnumbered lol. Felt like a demi-god. I need a decent duel server to really improve though.

Being an eveningstar player I decided to pick up a spear at one point during a match and I immediately got at least 5 kills in quick succession by just stabbing people. I wasn't even playing that well. Probably the most OP weapon right now, until people get used to dealing with it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

if you use horses you can go gently caress yourself.

Horse lords sucked in M&B MP and they suck in this, especially since there appears to be some funkiness with range regarding dragging on horses being way past the visual of a weapon. Doubly so since they've figured out the spawn points and I've seen a bunch of cavalry just circling those and killing people as they pop in.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like horde mode scales in difficulty way too quickly for the amount of points you get?

It's a bit too difficult unless you get a lot of early kills, I think. It's easy to fall behind and get stuck into a vicious circle.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Jesus I've been using the halberd and doing OK in team fights and 1v1s and then picked up an arming sword and just demolished people in a 2v4. That thing is really good. Also, building spike traps is hilarious.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

housemaster!!1 posted:

Good.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
It’s hard to get a speeding horse guy because you have see him coming in time to wind up your swing. If you could just point your pole arm at him and let him get stuck on the spear they would be way less of an issue. Overall they are annoying but not a huge problem imo.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Orv posted:

Horse lords sucked in M&B MP and they suck in this, especially since there appears to be some funkiness with range regarding dragging on horses being way past the visual of a weapon. Doubly so since they've figured out the spawn points and I've seen a bunch of cavalry just circling those and killing people as they pop in.

Comrayn posted:

It’s hard to get a speeding horse guy because you have see him coming in time to wind up your swing. If you could just point your pole arm at him and let him get stuck on the spear they would be way less of an issue. Overall they are annoying but not a huge problem imo.

I think the main trick horses have to their advantage, is the 2 damage horse graze interrupts your swing. If not for that, it would be a lot easier to man up and smash a rider with any weapon rather than their own poorly timed swing that misses you by a mile (or isn't even on the same side you're standing) not not inconveniencing them in the slightest as they shrug and move on, or circle around for attempts two and three.

I would have a LOT more maul kills against fast moving riders to my name otherwise, rather than "Well, that was a waste of both of our time I guess. See you next time!"

Even when you have a polearm, judging the distance and speed on your end still takes more effort than mister "whoops, they bumped you so they get a do over even if they gently caress up the actual attack."

Aside from that? "Don't worry guys, they are halfway down the field and we're five feet from the point-oh, you're going to all sprint after the horse? okay, sure." is the most powerful ability of horses :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 9, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
I do really appreciate the violent mob mentality that appears the moment a horseman hits an object and comes to a stop near the enemy team. I dub thee, Ser hosed *splortch*.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

horses and catapults are an example of a mechanic that is no fun to use while also being no fun to have used against you. You're either sighing as your spear clips harmlessly through yet another guy before you A) plough into a flag pole or someshit causing your horse to e-break and you to die in short order or B) you swing around for another pass, maybe securing one kill but probably missing, bumping a few enemies and friends before wondering how much more stuff you could've got done with the sustained ability to get in the fray. Or else you're on foot and you're getting instafucked by some level nine with a spear who could never challenge you in real combat but since horses have ZERO to do with the mechanically interesting combat you actually came for he gets to style on you.

as much as I like how its mechanically spiced up stuff like insta-gently caress ballistas, catapults and horses feel like poo poo... Spikes and deployable walls feel like good spicy, the deployable ballista is also ok

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's basically the sniper problem blithely transported to the medieval. It's only fun for the sniper, you don't get to participate.

Catapults and ballistae at least are so violently immediate that I can laugh it off most times and can even avoid a lot of catapult shots if I'm paying attention. Horses are just one-sided unless you pull off a real good shot and that's harder than most duels.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i got a catapult into a position and figured out the exact power level required to hit a barricade objective with it and managed to take it down in about 3-4 shots, that was fun.

this game does need a more pure assault/defense mode like chivalry had in my opinion, i'm not a huge fan of the push/pull capture points mode taking its place.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think part of it is the devs just aren't that good at map design. Granted, not an easy thing to do, people have had decades to get better at it for studios like IW and iD but the imbalances in Frontline are extremely noticeable and many of the points and objectives are visually nice but terrible for actually, ya know, swording fights.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i got a catapult into a position and figured out the exact power level required to hit a barricade objective with it and managed to take it down in about 3-4 shots, that was fun.

this game does need a more pure assault/defense mode like chivalry had in my opinion, i'm not a huge fan of the push/pull capture points mode taking its place.

was it though? Was it really what you were playing for? Or would it be more fun if for example you had a powder keg that did the same big splodey but instead of squatting behind a pile of wood away from the front going flacid as you wait for the big spoon to get it up you were up in that bitch hurling big bombs into the fray?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Turning off team colors and turning on the symbol for allies is rad. Seeing everyone's rad creations for what they are is awesome.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

obviously instead of horses being vehicles horses should be players.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I think war of the roses did horses better tbh. Make them a part of the loadout and cost against it. Also make specific weapons able to ready against them. Namely spears and spiked polearms.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Motherfucker posted:

was it though? Was it really what you were playing for? Or would it be more fun if for example you had a powder keg that did the same big splodey but instead of squatting behind a pile of wood away from the front going flacid as you wait for the big spoon to get it up you were up in that bitch hurling big bombs into the fray?

there's an objective on one where you haul powder kegs to towers so i'm not sure the point you're making here

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
It just feels really unsatisfying to hit a rider with a polearm and not have them fly off their horses like you'd expect

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Do ballista not have limited ammo?

hot date tonight! posted:

It just feels really unsatisfying to hit a rider with a polearm and not have them fly off their horses like you'd expect
Or to make horses stop by hitting them with a polearm stab, yeah

Glenn Quebec posted:

I think war of the roses did horses better tbh. Make them a part of the loadout and cost against it. Also make specific weapons able to ready against them. Namely spears and spiked polearms.
Agreed. Being able to pick between light and heavy horses would be nice too, especially if heavily armored horses were basically set so you couldn't have many weapons.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 9, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
The only limitation on the ballista emplacements is the cranking animation. Mini-ballistas also regen ammo naturally, though they're less deadly and it'd be a huge chore if they didn't so whatever.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

Same with getting a weapon knocked out of your hands. I'm a 2/1/0 longbowman who just got jumped for 70 health and had his bow slapped away, cut me a break here and assume I want to switch to my short sword, okay?

Getting a weapon knocked out of your hands is supposed to be a huge "you're hosed" moment. The game automatically pulling out another weapon would sort of defeat that purpose.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Which weapons actually push a horse rider down to the ground? I've heard both that it's only the billhook or it's all the polearm weapons.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

That Gobbo posted:

Which weapons actually push a horse rider down to the ground? I've heard both that it's only the billhook or it's all the polearm weapons.

It's hard to say. I think it's any weapon that really catches the rider flush. I know I've done it with my eveningstar but that might count as a polearm for all I know.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Ravenfood posted:

Do ballista not have limited ammo?

Or to make horses stop by hitting them with a polearm stab, yeah

Agreed. Being able to pick between light and heavy horses would be nice too, especially if heavily armored horses were basically set so you couldn't have many weapons.

Welp I tried posting this on Reddit and all I got was "more horses = bad"

Orv
May 4, 2011
From the limited 'testing' (read: sigh and swing at the oncoming death machine and hope) I've been able to do it seems like you need a clear hit with a blunt weapon, which can't hit the horse cause it'll hit stop. The claws on some polearms work and the billhook works, but even those don't seem to always do it so there has to be some other factor.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

Welp I tried posting this on Reddit and all I got was "more horses = bad"

That's also true, but right now horses are on-map powerups so they're annoyingly good. If you had to spawn with them and if you wanted armor you were limited to only a lance and maybe a dagger as a weapon, it'd be a bit less annoying.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've been running a billhook 121 a lot in the alternate grip and it's hilarious pulling people nonstop with the stab. The pull isn't far, but it seems just enough to throw off the timing of your average frontline spammer and you can yoink dudes off horses if you get a poke on them. I dont have enough experience 1v1 with it yet, but have been demolished by a couple dudes that just seemed extremely good with it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Frivolous question. Does anyone have any idea what the Stone Damage stat even applies to? Like, every proper weapons is just "2 damage", but some of the peasant weapons like the sledge hammer and pickaxe list stuff like 60/100 stone damage.

loving around in frontline, seems the mallet built sandbag walls still run off the wood damage stat. But I have not done any horde mode, so are there stone walls peasant slowly break down in that mode, or what?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I can't think of anything it would apply to, it might be some kind of leftover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish when you impaled someone with your weapon there was a moment where you had to pull your spear or whatever out of their dead body.

It would look brutal and also maybe balance out some things since you'd be kinda vulnerable for a second.

Streaming more mordhau later please like favorite and subscribe: https://twitch.tv/s_o_y