Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yes, yes, this is a Wendy's drive-thru etc. it was a fun episode, but a bunch of stuff in there just felt unnecessarily sloppy or forced when it could easily have been written better with barely any impact on filming-logistics, as opposed to the Battle of Winterfell

Nah I appreciate any long winded rants in here tbh

Slim Pickens posted:

"I have to go now, the North needs me"

*Ghost died on his way back to hardhome without saying goodbye to Jon*

They ran out of CGI money. Hell, they won’t even CGI Jon petting. I’m not sure why they didn’t just use regular-rear end wolves or wolf-like dogs with crafty perspectives and maybe some CGI. The wolves in this show have just been awfully done through and through. Especially in regards to the story.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

what a dumb loving episode.

:same:

Dead Reckoning posted:

Too bad no one they know can warg into birds that are common across the entire continent.

Are we gonna find out where Bran warged during the battle for winterfell or nah

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

bronn still best character

but who didn’t see that coming

The Rat posted:

It feels like I'm watching video game cutscenes at this point. But not good cutscenes. Like, Mass Effect 3 cutscenes.

💯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

tbh I feel like it’s the writer strike of 2007-2008 again. This season has been pretty poo poo overall

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Fragments of great stuff mired in poor decisions and plot armor.

Edit: Yeah I do wish they'd do a better job of managing the passage of time, but there's enough cool and enough awful that I'm not going to dwell on that.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 9, 2019

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Godholio posted:

Fragments of great stuff mired in poor decisions and plot armor.

and badly segwayed warps

bengy81
May 8, 2010
GOT kind of sucks if you think too hard about it.
Something about staring into the abyss etc..

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

bengy81 posted:

It's because the writing was essentially taken over by a collective of second year film studies majors and one older writer who is basically babysitting interns

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The cinematography is tops though. The Dothraki blades going out one by one owned

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Clearly someone went to the Michel Ney School for Cavalry

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Charge of the Dothraki Brigade

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The Dothraki charge is entirely in character. Those dudes were warrior kings who had ran roughshod over any opposition to date. They're waiting for battle and suddenly their swords all burst into flames? gently caress yeah, god is on our side, LETS GO KILL SOME MOTHERFUCKERS is a pretty appropriate reaction considering the type of fighters they were. They charged into the army of the dead exactly as they charged into the lannister line. They weren't at all ready for the army of the dead and even though it's dumb they survive, the remaining dothraki commander pulls off more tokens of dothraki off the warboard than the other groups lose.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Oh yeah I was like wait who ordered them to charge, oh wait fantasy mongols wouldn't wait

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
:hmmyes:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

bengy81 posted:

This is why I'm super-confused about the potential spinoff series, of which like three have been discussed. I don't see anyone being so super-invested in the Westeros backstory that they need it explored.

Then again, I didn't really see the appeal of Avatar and that had straight-up cultists for it, so

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Something on Robert’s Rebellion would be cool, or Aegon the Conquerer. Maybe some ancient Valeria bs like Battlestar Galactica and that subpar Caprica show. Then plus they can just handwave everything away with the cataclysm

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Since the Battle of Winterfell, I've noticed I'm not "as stoked" anymore for GoT. Not because I disliked the episodes and poo poo on them, because I liked them (with a couple points of criticism), I assume it's probably because I really had this whole conflict of living vs. dead as my focus for loving ever, and now I'm kinda...eh.

Still somewhat excited for the next two episodes, but I'm honestly looking forward to the next episode of Chernobyl just as much.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Bran is gonna turn into nightking 2.0 and destroy westeros after Cersei defends the iron throne

Bet

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I straight hope that at least 85% of the main cast dies. Especially Jon for not petting Ghost. Worse travesty than the red wedding.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I’m not super pumped for the show. Definitely watching but man they’re stumbling thus far.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i liked how if you went by what was shown in the long night, basically everyone in winterfell and in their armies was dead except like 8 people, then it turns out they only lost half

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Hell, they conjured "remaining" dothraki and unsullied out of nothing

(Again)

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
They also turned 40,000 Dothraki into 4,000 for the Battle of Winterfell. Isn't that the amount Dany had when she brought them over? She couldn't have possibly lost more than 5,000 in the Lannister wagon train battle.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Looking back at older seasons it does seem like they spent more in CGI to make the battles denser / more interesting. Wouldn't be surprised if they blew their nut on season 6 and have been coasting since

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

So, how many other ex-nukes are watching HBO's Chernobyl series? It had just happened when I was a boot, and there weren't a lot of solid facts made public by the time I'd finished prototype.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Madurai posted:

So, how many other ex-nukes are watching HBO's Chernobyl series? It had just happened when I was a boot, and there weren't a lot of solid facts made public by the time I'd finished prototype.

Not an ex nuke but I started watching it since it was mentioned here.

I had to laugh at Lane Pryce take 2.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Madurai posted:

I watched it with some nukes and had to remind them that yes, this is roughly what happened and people really did gently caress up that badly because they were in constant disbelief.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

I watched it with some nukes and had to remind them that yes, this is roughly what happened and people really did gently caress up that badly because they were in constant disbelief.

Sounds like those dink rear end nubs didn't read their nuclear accident reports during power school.

I've been watching it and I'm seeing why certain rules and practices exist. They were probably learned from this incident and adopted into regular nuclear operating standards.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Sounds like those dink rear end nubs didn't read their nuclear accident reports during power school.

I've been watching it and I'm seeing why certain rules and practices exist. They were probably learned from this incident and adopted into regular nuclear operating standards.

My understanding of the event is they straight up ignored a lot of best practices and underreported the severity of the situation at almost all stages of the immediate response.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

My understanding of the event is they straight up ignored a lot of best practices and underreported the severity of the situation at almost all stages of the immediate response.

:ussr:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Guess we'll get to see what the level of institutional knowledge is once they call in the investigators to figure out what happened.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Chernobyl looks good. I was curious how historically accurate it is, and if it carries some anti-nuclear undertone

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

That is also a very fitting response to the way the US military is run

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I know we’re veering off-topic but plenty of threads for that chat

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Chernobyl looks good. I was curious how historically accurate it is, and if it carries some anti-nuclear undertone

So far it seems pretty true to the information that has been released publicly about the incident. The first episode certainly didn't have any anti-nuclear rhetoric associated with it but given how the situation was handled I wouldn't be surprised if some people read anti-nuclear sentiment from the show.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Well that’s good to know at least. Trust me I’m happy for a big production on it all but cannot help but think it pushes the layman back on being pro-nuclear a bit

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I genuinely dont think the world can get much more antinuclear

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Well that’s good to know at least. Trust me I’m happy for a big production on it all but cannot help but think it pushes the layman back on being pro-nuclear a bit
Any media about a nuclear disaster is going to have that effect, but it's not really any more anti-nuclear than Titanic was anti-cruise liner.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Nuclear is loving dead so who cares. At least in the states it is

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Chernobyl:

:ohno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Rat posted:

It feels like I'm watching video game cutscenes at this point. But not good cutscenes. Like, Mass Effect 3 cutscenes.
Mass Effect 3 at least made a token attempt to cash in the emotional bonds between characters and tie off various plot lines in a satisfactory manner.