Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mister Perky posted:

Nah it was just so he could be on Arya's social level to propose to her (and get turned down). I expect we've seen the last of him [barring an epilogue where Arya changes her mind]
Gendry proposes to Arya again, but this time stressing that he'll be the lady in the relationship and stay at home hammering out doilies in the forge of Storm's End while Arya gets to have adventures.

SimonCat posted:

Now i'm wondering if Ser Davos wouldn't have been better if they had kept Liam Cunningham's native accent. That said, is there a group of characters on the show who have Irish accents? I know the North and King's Landing are supposed to roughly correlate to Northern and Southern English accents.
King's Landing, or Lannister/southern nobility? It'd make sense for the commoners of King's Landing to speak a very different dialect from the overlords they basically don't interact with. Actually, would the Targaryens have been speaking Valyrian at court when they were overthrown? That seems like that might insulate the commoners even more from other dialects and encourage the development of a proper King's Landing dialect, separate from the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The witch's prophecy said Cersei would be replaced by a younger more beautiful woman. If it's not dany, and no way would arya want it, that only leaves sansa, unless I'm forgetting someone.

Gilly :j:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sounds awesome

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Once all the smoke clears, Ellaria breaks out of prison and takes over

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Crow Jane posted:

I could buy it tbh, she has a strange power of making kingdoms completely ignore succession

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Crow Jane posted:

She is still alive down there after all. I'm down.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

TheRat posted:

Apparently someone went through all the episodes of the show last year and did a bigass writeup of why they thought Dany would be the endgame villain: https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/151496-the-queen-of-ashes-foreshadowing/

That's pretty good. Something I noticed in a bunch of GRRM's descriptions of places like Stygai, the corpse city, is that demons and dragons are on the same level. Both are horrific monsters that only bring destruction and death, so Dany bringing 3 anywhere is a clear sign of extreme danger.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This whole "subverted expectations" thing was old as gently caress by January 2018. How does anyone not cringe after reading it?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

bobjr posted:

I’m sure Littlefinger used an Irish accent at least once among others

Shansha preez.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

regulargonzalez posted:

I'll be pretty surprised if it's not Gendry. He's officially a Baratheon now, assuming Danny's claim is legit and she has the power to legitimize him. Once Dany is dead, and with Jon always trying to avoid power, Gendry clearly has the best claim. That has to be the entire show-reason he was legitimized; having a name isn't necessary to become a lord of a castle or even one of the 7 kingdoms (see Bronn and Littlefinger).

His legitimization is worthless without an alive Dany

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

She is still alive down there after all. I'm down.

Post-credits, the-briefly mentioned Prince of Dorne rolls up and busts her out of the dungeon.

'Wow, gently caress these douchebags.'

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

I also like how genuinely weirded out everyone is by how cold and stiff Roose is, and how he always "doesn't partake"

It's a nice take on the book, where Roose is basically a vampire count.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Jon could take the crown, confirm the legitimization, then abdicate in favor of Gendry and take the black again to rebuild the Night's Watch, saying the time for Targaryens is over or some such. That makes too much sense, though, so it definitely won't happen.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Why would there need to be a night's watch though?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Penal colony?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

LadyPictureShow posted:

Post-credits, the-briefly mentioned Prince of Dorne rolls up and busts her out of the dungeon.

'Wow, gently caress these douchebags.'

“How did you know where I was?”

“I am of the night”

Fade to black

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

She did it in a room filled with northerners that's alive because Gendry forged dragonglass swords.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

Cause the Night's Watch is essentially Border Patrol for Westeros' largest land border. There are still wildlings and giants and all kinds of weird stuff up there, even if the Night King is gone. Also, the Night's Watch is one of the most convenient political institutions in the kingdom. It's a way better alternative to a dungeon because you're at least getting a service in return for feeding and housing your prisoners and sending politically dangerous or inconvenient people, plus violent offenders far away from the rest of civilization, which is pretty priceless.

Lowly fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 9, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Lowly posted:

There are still wildlings

I thought literally every wildling was driven south of the wall or killed and raised by the white walkers?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was definitely under the impression that the wildlings, Giants, etc were pretty much wiped out by the white walkers.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

wilderthanmild posted:

Yeah I was definitely under the impression that the wildlings, Giants, etc were pretty much wiped out by the white walkers.

Its Tormund, Ghost and whatever Wildlings survived the Battle of Winterfell

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

quote:

The sorceress Mirri Maz Dull tells Daenerys she killed her son because he would be the Stallion who Mounts the World, who would burn cities to the ground.

Daenerys refers to the dragons as her kids so I guess Mirri Maz was right.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Guze posted:

Its Tormund, Ghost and whatever Wildlings survived the Battle of Winterfell

Name someone better equipped or more willing to repopulate the North than Tormund, I'll wait

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Baron von Eevl posted:

The Night King was defeated before so the White Walkers will come back someday.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vintersorg posted:

Daenerys refers to the dragons as her kids so I guess Mirri Maz was right.

Good job on helping fulfill the prophecy, miss Duur. Drogon is probably a significantly more threatening "stallion" than whatever the baby she magically aborted would have become.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 9, 2019

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!

Admiral Ray posted:

Defeated how though? Maybe they just abducted him and took him as far north as possible, and he's been walking back all this time?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Admiral Ray posted:

He wasn't killed in the War of the Dawn though so unless a new white walker is created somehow, they toast.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Why do countries man the borders of nations they're generally friendly with?

What I'm saying is The Nights Watch will turn into a border patrol.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

after the final episode's credits roll we're gonna get a stinger showing that the night king was actually the weakest of the seven kings of the white walkers

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This is very true. I think this problem is also affecting the books though - it seems like GRRM is struggling to reconcile the ending plotpoints he's probably had planned out for years with the character-driven web he's already written. His solution is to just not write anything, while the show's just blasting a path straight through with minimum effort.
Then get rid of the ending plotpoints and just go where the story takes you! Geez . . . Just write a good story.

This chart shows how many ‘Game of Thrones’ viewers are hating this season

quote:

IMDB has tracked the audience rating of all 69 episodes to date, and last Sunday’s “The Last of the Starks” was the lowest-ranked in the show’s history with a score of just 6.9 out of 10, counting more than 58,000 viewer reviews.

The next lowest episode score is about an 8.0.

Game of Thrones season 8: Are we headed for disappointment?
All the comments are dunking on the show, it's great

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Game of Thrones is spending its last hours ruining Daenerys Targaryen
For seven seasons, the show has told us how great Dany is. In its final episodes, it’s turning her into a villain.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/5/9/18537013/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-5-daenerys-targaryen-mad-queen

trickybiscuits posted:

Then get rid of the ending plotpoints and just go where the story takes you! Geez . . . Just write a good story.

This chart shows how many ‘Game of Thrones’ viewers are hating this season

season 7 isn't much better than this season yet it's rated as high as the good seasons lol

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I guess the only benefit to all of this is we don't have to have G.O.A.T. debates after it's over.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

For seven seasons, the show has told us how great Dany is. In its final episodes, it’s turning her into a villain.

rofl. That's amazing

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I can't believe the 69th episode is rated 6.9 but was actually bad

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/5/9/18537013/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-5-daenerys-targaryen-mad-queen

She's pretty much been Milton Waddons since the dragons showed up. The Iron Throne is a stapler in this metaphor.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

season 7 isn't much better than this season yet it's rated as high as the good seasons lol

The show is finally collapsing under the weight of its own rushed plotlines and shift to soap opera writing. Season 7 had some cover because stuff was finally happening in regards to white walkers and Dany coming to Westeros. But literally every character being written like a moron so we can have "big moments" is taking its toll.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Groovelord Neato posted:

totally agree. But it's fun to be on the same page with everyone finally!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Season 7 had the advantage of being all the setup, which meant this season really has to nail the delivery.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Lol who thought it was a good idea going out with an ending that satisfies no one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I'm glad of it