Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Eject from that job as fast as you possibly can, then.

Edit: What a crappy page snipe. For content:

Pissing me off today is my companies mountain of tech debt. Apparently our internal enhancement/bug fix/feature requests when moved from one ticket software to another got shoved into a generic "backlog" and never looked at unless someone actively yelled about it.

Except nobody could because both ticket projects tracking the requests had access to view locked down and nobody knew what was released, not released, etc.

Wheee!

DelphiAegis fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Khisanth Magus posted:

Whee, did indeed get put on probation, primarily for "not meeting deliverable dates"(which is a lie, I have gotten everything done in the sprint they were assigned once we got past the "here are all these things you have no idea how to do, now get them done in the estimated time provided by the person who does know how to do them who never once got something finished in his estimated time, I just haven't always gotten stuff done on exactly the day that the PM assigned them to in that sprint, because yes she plans our work day by day based on estimates and God help you if the estimates were wrong) and "not owning issues" because when something out of my hands breaks I say it was out of my hands and apparently I was supposed to magically have handled it anyways.

Jesus Christ gently caress those nerds and go somewhere else

You owe them nothing

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Just go full belligerent rear end in a top hat in those meetings. Ask for proof, have them back up their claims. There's a non-zero chance that they'll back down, they're just lovely little bullies. And you're already hosed there, anyway. Eject, eject, eject.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hmmm yes co-worker, keep leaving me missed calls without sending an IM or an email to talk about whatever you’re after, or even better send me an email saying “call me when you get a chance” with zero clues as to what you want. That will definitely get me on the case.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
In going to start actively applying for new jobs tonight, although the employer pool around here isn't great. One nice goon PMed me last night about open remote dev positions where he works, so will see if that goes anywhere, a remote job would suit me just fine.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

I work in DoD contracting, my Government Team lead hates my Companies Program/Project Manager to the point where she denies him access to our meetings poo poo's funny but really annoying and childish. not only is she doing that but she is trying to get us to do things that are outside the scope of our individual job positions via the contract. oh and she is the Contracting Officer's Representative and trying to change the contract as she feels is needed for the job at this second and not in the future

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Whee, did indeed get put on probation, primarily for "not meeting deliverable dates"(which is a lie, I have gotten everything done in the sprint they were assigned once we got past the "here are all these things you have no idea how to do, now get them done in the estimated time provided by the person who does know how to do them who never once got something finished in his estimated time, I just haven't always gotten stuff done on exactly the day that the PM assigned them to in that sprint, because yes she plans our work day by day based on estimates and God help you if the estimates were wrong) and "not owning issues" because when something out of my hands breaks I say it was out of my hands and apparently I was supposed to magically have handled it anyways.

Sounds like they could give a poo poo about the details. They care that you are setting boundaries and they want you to not have any. This is not that uncommon. Keep a cool head but be firm. If it doesn't work in your favor that is fine, if you write code you are wanted everywhere.

I have a manager under me with the same issue. He got upset at one of his team members because that person told someone else that he couldn't help them with an issue. The truth was that he couldn't help the person because it wasn't his system but the manager was upset that he didn't help the person find the right person on another team. He has a somewhat unrealistic expectation for his people to go above and beyond with customer service on the smallest of inquiries when they are engineers and not helpdesk.

There is merit there but I think its missing the point. I feel like its okay to tell someone that comes to you for help that its not your system and you can't assist. We have the helpdesk and other avenues to herd people in the right direction. Saying you can't help doesn't automatically make you an rear end in a top hat.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Khisanth Magus posted:

This screams to me of the start of being managed out the door. I could just be too strongly remembering some tremendously lovely experiences I've had with management at a previous position.

Either way gently caress that. Trying to roll poo poo farther downhill to come out clean is ridiculous. Get ooouuuuuuuttttttt.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Khisanth Magus posted:

In going to start actively applying for new jobs tonight, although the employer pool around here isn't great. One nice goon PMed me last night about open remote dev positions where he works, so will see if that goes anywhere, a remote job would suit me just fine.

There are also remote-only jobs sites like https://www.flexjobs.com/ and https://weworkremotely.com/ (which I don't think is affiliated with WeWork) if you want a bigger pool for those

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Moatman posted:

There are also remote-only jobs sites like https://www.flexjobs.com/ and https://weworkremotely.com/ (which I don't think is affiliated with WeWork) if you want a bigger pool for those

No way in high hells am I doing "freelance" work. I have a wife with health issues which requires decent health insurance.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Khisanth Magus posted:

No way in high hells am I doing "freelance" work. I have a wife with health issues which requires decent health insurance.

Being "managed out the door" will screw you out of this "decent" healthcare. There are remote-only jobs that will treat you decently. The alternative is to get talking to a recruiter.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

We work remotely isn’t freelance stuff, it’s mostly direct hire W2 stuff, I think some W2 contract stuff as well. The first time I saw the page was 2015, before all of the gig white collar sites exploded. Remoteok.io is an option too.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

hell if they're on the way to firing you anyway why bother doing more than necessary. try some "work to rule" (as long as it doesn't rise to "malicious compliance")!

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

Sickening posted:

Sounds like they could give a poo poo about the details. They care that you are setting boundaries and they want you to not have any. This is not that uncommon. Keep a cool head but be firm. If it doesn't work in your favor that is fine, if you write code you are wanted everywhere.

I have a manager under me with the same issue. He got upset at one of his team members because that person told someone else that he couldn't help them with an issue. The truth was that he couldn't help the person because it wasn't his system but the manager was upset that he didn't help the person find the right person on another team. He has a somewhat unrealistic expectation for his people to go above and beyond with customer service on the smallest of inquiries when they are engineers and not helpdesk.

There is merit there but I think its missing the point. I feel like its okay to tell someone that comes to you for help that its not your system and you can't assist. We have the helpdesk and other avenues to herd people in the right direction. Saying you can't help doesn't automatically make you an rear end in a top hat.

Something like this happened to me at my first job. I was a lowly intern, interns were not allowed to reset C-Level users passwords. Knowing this, when a C-Level called the help desk for a password reset, I immediately told him "I'm sorry, I can't do that for you, I need to transfer you to $coworker, he can." I verbally hand off to my coworker and then transfer him the call. The C-Level's password was reset, ticket complete. This all happens over the course of ~2 minutes. Everything is good yea?

The next day, I get to work and have an email from the IT director asking me to come see him. I got those emails all the time, usually means he's got some new busy work like vacuuming air vents or something. But I get in and my direct boss and the IT Director have a 5 minute talk about acceptable standards on the helpdesk with me. I finally put together why I got called in. I said these words in this order "I'm sorry, I can't help you". Doesn't matter that I did actually go the extra mile and get a coworker who is able to complete this task, get them to complete the task, and confirm the issue is resolved to close the ticket. 45 minutes later I give up and apologize for not helping a C-Level who called the help desk.

I'm not a super devoted worker or anything, but that's the only demerit I have ever received from any job. Some people are just lovely people.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Nazattack posted:

Something like this happened to me at my first job. I was a lowly intern, interns were not allowed to reset C-Level users passwords. Knowing this, when a C-Level called the help desk for a password reset, I immediately told him "I'm sorry, I can't do that for you, I need to transfer you to $coworker, he can." I verbally hand off to my coworker and then transfer him the call. The C-Level's password was reset, ticket complete. This all happens over the course of ~2 minutes. Everything is good yea?

The next day, I get to work and have an email from the IT director asking me to come see him. I got those emails all the time, usually means he's got some new busy work like vacuuming air vents or something. But I get in and my direct boss and the IT Director have a 5 minute talk about acceptable standards on the helpdesk with me. I finally put together why I got called in. I said these words in this order "I'm sorry, I can't help you". Doesn't matter that I did actually go the extra mile and get a coworker who is able to complete this task, get them to complete the task, and confirm the issue is resolved to close the ticket. 45 minutes later I give up and apologize for not helping a C-Level who called the help desk.

I'm not a super devoted worker or anything, but that's the only demerit I have ever received from any job. Some people are just lovely people.

Unless the system literally didn't allow you to do the reset that seems like a dumb policy.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

PBS posted:

Unless the system literally didn't allow you to do the reset that seems like a dumb policy.

My guess is it's to keep naive college kids from getting a call from "the COO" who says he forgot his password fix it NOW or you're fired, and then all your poo poo gets stolen.Dunno how much that would actually help if it doesn't lock you out, though.

Moatman fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 10, 2019

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Nazattack posted:

It's a newish management thing. Many of the management classes and seminars these days are all about keeping a positive workplace. Words like "can't" are negative and do not belong in your peons vocabulary. You're a bad manager if you let your underlings be so negative. :rolleyes:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

PremiumSupport posted:

It's a newish management thing. Many of the management classes and seminars these days are all about keeping a positive workplace. Words like "can't" are negative and do not belong in your peons vocabulary. You're a bad manager if you let your underlings be so negative. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, that is another thing I've gotten in trouble for!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

PremiumSupport posted:

It's also a lazy management thing, but going on a tirade about lovely managers I've had is not productive to this conversation.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
On the flip side I was talking about the other side of this like last week. I am that manager - My helpdesk guy gets a lot of flack off colleagues for negativity so I literally said to him try not to say no or can't for a month and see what happens.

I did also have to say that doesn't mean literally, but an example would be,

request: can you reset the password for X, (X being a system we don't support.)
response, instead of saying 'we don't support that no' say 'you need to speak to so and so' and people will be like 'well at least he helped as much as he could'

Sure there is a danger that you become a human signpost because you know everything, or you can be the guy no one deals with because you just tell everyone that's not your problem.

you can probably argue that if you are a human sign post this takes up time which isn't beneficial to you, or you can also argue that because people like you they are more inclined to deal with you and when it comes to projects that span other departments etc then things come together better.

or you can look at the other side of the coin where if you do what you are paid to do and nothing else then you are very efficient with your time and not wasting it helping people with their crap means you can spend time on your priorities

Does the former benefits outweigh the latter? In my experience, yep.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wouldn't it be easier to just not do business?

I feel like my workday would be improved were I able to dispense with all this work stuff.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008
C-Levels were in an OU that we didn't have rights in. But mostly they didn't want to deal with dumb high school kids. Interns couldn't replace a keyboard or ink if the request came from a VP or something.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The whole situation could have been wrapped up with, "Hey, unexperienced intern, here's a good lesson: Be careful what language you choose with important people. You can be accurate and truthful but still get whacked for it if they take it the wrong way. But it's OK! You're an intern, and you're here to learn things just like this."

edit: (And then they rode off on their company provided unicorns...)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Fuuuuuuuuuu

I have transitioned a bit role-wise and have been submitting pull requests to the sprint deploy. Except no one told the scrum master so none of my tickets deployed.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuu

I have transitioned a bit role-wise and have been submitting pull requests to the sprint deploy. Except no one told the scrum master so none of my tickets deployed.

I dont understand a single word in this post and Im happy about it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Scrum Master (1987, dir. Tobe Hooper)

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
No one did the needful, so he has to revert.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Bigass Moth posted:

No one did the needful, so he has to revert.

It all make sense now, thank you.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
The company I work at just fired their Scrum Master, to be fair I don't think they ever really did any work and when they worked from home they were never available on chat.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Scaramouche posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuu

It makes me slightly sad that I understand this, and that it's almost indistinguishable from some grey shirt background guy complaining about his job in Star Trek.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Scaramouche posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuu

It's ridiculous that simply creating a pull request is a procedural dead end. If you're going to have all the code go through one person, that person needs to be getting automatic notifications when code is ready for deployment, which any source control system worth half a poo poo can do. If they haven't set up those notifications, the scrum master is not doing their job , one definition of which would be MAKING IT EASIER TO DELIVER SOFTWARE.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

gently caress you Microsoft. Please release your own apps with MSI's and don't make me jump through 50 hoops I have to find on my own to make poo poo work. Thanks.

I was deploying a new SilverLight package through SCCM and it took me an hour to figure out what was broken.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

“New”and “silverlight” in the same sentence.

(I know your pain)

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

ChubbyThePhat posted:

gently caress you Microsoft. Please release your own apps with MSI's and don't make me jump through 50 hoops I have to find on my own to make poo poo work. Thanks.

I was deploying a new SilverLight package through SCCM and it took me an hour to figure out what was broken.

oh man I know that pain. trying to get that poo poo to work with exe is torture sometimes.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Pissing me off for several days: My boss is a colossal rear end in a top hat.

On Thursday he schedules an ambiguously titled meeting for today, does not say a word to me about it, it just appears on my calendar. I've been getting really troubling vibes about his attitude toward remotes like me, but he is also cementing my first impressions that he's really into that croney-ism style of management where his hand-picked chosen few can do no wrong and the rest of us can go gently caress ourselves.

So commence me freaking out over the weekend polishing my resume and putting out some feelers, because the last time I got a feeling like this I was 100% correct and a month after I got a new job they fired all remote employees.

Turns out it's just a regular check-in meeting to see if there's anything I needed to talk about. He couldn't call it that or set it up as a recurring calendar event instead of doing the work equivalent of a "we need to talk" text from you significant other? gently caress

At least I still have a job, which I sincerely believed was not going to be the case. I'm still going to see if anything comes of those apps, as I'm uneasy with changes in management here lately....plus they would all come with a pretty significant pay increase that would not be a bad thing. But most of my brain says stay put just because that's simpler, plus it's the first time we've ever had objectively good insurance (whopping $200 to go to the ER for chest pains, woo!). More of my brain would be saying to stay put if they fired this rear end in a top hat, though.

I've completely given up on the idea that I'll get the Team Lead promotion at this point......

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

....and a double gently caress you to any package that tries to make me pay extra for a MSI.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

....and a double gently caress you to any package that tries to make me pay extra for a MSI.

Triple gently caress you to any cloud software vendor that thinks locking SAML behind a 'price on application' tier is reasonable

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Triple gently caress you to any cloud software vendor that thinks locking SAML behind a 'price on application' tier is reasonable

I can't emptyquote this hard enough

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
So, micromanaging PM who is trying(with some success) to get me fired is leaving the company after being here for like 4 to 5 months. Not going to change my desire to leave here, especially as she may still get her desire to get me fired before she leaves anyways.

She was the third PM on this project. First was someone just coasting for a couple months before she knew she was leaving the company, 2nd was just kind of a placeholder who got way too stressed about everything, and then the toxic micromanager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Thanks Ants posted:

https://sso.tax/