Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
pull the gently caress up thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

In Japan you take your shoes off when you go inside so maybe she just took her socks off too

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Expect My Mom posted:

pull the gently caress up thread

who gives the best foot massages in all of smt

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

yu narukami faces his hardest challenge yet

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

yu narukami faces his hardest challenge yet

cursed

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

if you're dating another person on the Investigation Team who's also in your party they'll ask "hey uhhh how come you took your socks off at Yu's house" followed by "there was an awkward silence..."

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Persona 5 Royal won't let you transfer your save. You get a bonus for having a P5 vanilla save, but you can't bring over the compendium or social stats.

That sounds like a pain, but I've decided I'm not gonna play P5R unless they remove the homophobia.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That's not gonna happen. He'll, if I cared more about it, I'd :toxx: that P5R will still be grossly homophobic.

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

Considering they are adding what amounts to what, three extra months of game content as well? It took me so long to beat Persona 5 the first time I don't know if I would want to actually play it a second time like I did with Persona 4 or 3. While 5 is mechanically the best game out of all of them it didn't resonate with me or strike the same chord the other two did.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

That's not gonna happen. He'll, if I cared more about it, I'd :toxx: that P5R will still be grossly homophobic.
I advise not buying the game in that case

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wasn't going to buy a remake of a game I already bought like two years ago regardless

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't worry everyone I'll take the blow on this for you

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm an idiot who shouldn't be allowed to have money, so same

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm going to buy it, unless i am dead. Then I'll haunt someone and make them buy it

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

PMush Perfect posted:

????????????? but Katsura Hashino retired?????????????????

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

????????????? but Katsura Hashino retired?????????????????

jesus christ shut up, we get it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

We gotta face the fact that Hashino being off of Persona isn't going to save the series by itself. They'll probably just get another old dude who doesn't get it

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Arist posted:

jesus christ shut up, we get it

No, now you know how it feels to have to read your dumb-rear end posts for four months about how the series is gonna make total 180 in terms of social messaging now that one person is gone

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Waffleman_ posted:

We gotta face the fact that Hashino being off of Persona isn't going to save the series by itself. They'll probably just get another old dude who doesn't get it

Bring back the old crew.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think hoping that new staff would have a different perspective on stuff is an out-there take, esp when we have examples both before and during modern Persona.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

No, now you know how it feels to have to read your dumb-rear end posts for four months about how the series is gonna make total 180 in terms of social messaging now that one person is gone

I never posted that! In fact, I can't recall anyone posting anything stronger than a "hopefully Hashino took that poo poo with him because while Japan is certainly not a bastion of progressiveness on this issue, others have proven capable of not being lovely about it, and that kind of shittiness has been endemic to pretty much his entire body of work." It honestly kind of strikes me as kind of low-key racist that you just assume it's gonna be worse somehow.

At least loving toxx on there being some new instance of that poo poo so we can hopefully laugh when you get banned over it.

Motto posted:

I don't think hoping that new staff would have a different perspective on stuff is an out-there take, esp when we have examples both before and during modern Persona.

loving exactly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Isn't the "old" crew the one that did caligula

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Motto posted:

One person isn't enough of a new staff - the idea that he is dictating individual dialogue for scenes and forcing the writing staff to include homophobic jokes just isn't how the process works, and the theory that he does that is naive at best and kind of sad at worst. It's not surprising that the P2 series is so different from what we have now, it's been a really long time and almost all of that original team is probably long-gone. I mean poo poo, look over at the Anthem/Fallout76 threads if you want to see how far a company can fall, and that's in a way shorter time period than the gap between P2 and P5. Fallout76 would't have magically been a much better game if Todd Howard were out, the issues with that game are beyond his reach, just like the issues people have with Persona. And I'd bet the Persona team is especially hesitant to make any major changes, both in staff or ideology, considering how P4 is one of the most well-received JRPGs of all time and P5 spends the whole game burdened under that weight.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is some hilarious apologia and also completely ignores what we know about Katsura "there's no platonic friendship option for the male route in the Persona 3 romance Social Links because I have never been friends with a woman" Hashino

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
people aren't saying that Katsura is good. they're saying that the more than only one dude in the studio are shitheads.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tired Moritz posted:

people aren't saying that Katsura is good. they're saying that the more than only one dude in the studio are shitheads.

My point is that we already know the dude has inserted his weird worldview into these games. We've seen it. It's not so unbelievable that he'd be at least partially responsible for elements that keep recurring through his work.

Besides, choosing this as your hill to die on to attack auteur theory is loving weird.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tae posted:

Isn't the "old" crew the one that did caligula

Just one guy, IIRC. The writer, but he also worked on Digital Devil Saga and that owned.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also if RazzleDazzleHour is gonna whine every time about the horrible issue of people hoping P5R will be good and not have bigotry in it, it's gonna be a long six months until it comes out in Japan.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

if you all really care about the toxic worldview, show some self-control and don't buy p5r unless they take that poo poo out. I'm not gonna guarantee that it'll make any difference, but your stance falls flat if you give Atlus money regardless.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Brave stance from the guy who already said he wasn't going to buy it for an unrelated reason.

Going "if you actually cared you would boycott it" is pretty lovely.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just one guy, IIRC. The writer, but he also worked on Digital Devil Saga and that owned.

I only played Caligula: Overdose, but I think the writing as a whole in that game was actually pretty good. It has the exact same kind of lovely humor that Persona engages in, but I think that sort of humor is a much broader cultural issue even outside of video games, as it's pretty prevalent in almost every form of mainstream Japanese media, especially television. The individual characters were really good, and the game did a much better job of tying the personal social links into the bigger story than Persona has done.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Atlus will get no money from me ever again until they give me Raidou 3

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Arist posted:

Brave stance from the guy who already said he wasn't going to buy it for an unrelated reason.

Going "if you actually cared you would boycott it" is pretty lovely.

Butt Ghost posted:

That sounds like a pain, but I've decided I'm not gonna play P5R unless they remove the homophobia.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

huh, fair i guess, still not really down with the central idea of you being the arbiter of moral purity in JRPG purchases

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Shatlus

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Arist posted:

Also if RazzleDazzleHour is gonna whine every time about the horrible issue of people hoping P5R will be good and not have bigotry in it, it's gonna be a long six months until it comes out in Japan.

It's not any more unreadable than people talking about how much they hate P5 for being problematic is.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

It's not any more unreadable than people talking about how much they hate P5 for being problematic is.

Nah

E: More seriously, I'm pretty sure most people here who have problems with P5 being "problematic" have said a lot about how they like the game.

The thing is that it's kind of a huge blemish on an otherwise good game that nowadays is becoming harder and harder to overlook.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 10, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think that sort of humor is a much broader cultural issue even outside of video games, as it's pretty prevalent in almost every form of mainstream Japanese media, especially television.
tbh not really. you still get day-time talk shows that do that stuff but that kind of humor is insanely dated in japan these days. not that japan is a woke paradise, but well, the persona team in general is insanely outdated in terms of both humor and politics. (see: the main antagonist of persona 5 being a pastiche of a guy who hasnt had power since the 90s)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also hashino has literally said himself he is the reason for the weirdness in the initial launch of persona 3 and his phrasing in interviews makes it clear hes the one who made the call to not have a female protagonist in persona 4 and 5 and his reasoning given was very weird, and literally any game he's ever had any power on has had homophobic and transphobic jokes, and the few persona games that exist without his involvement dont have homophobic jokes

obviously other people would have to agree with hashino for that stuff to make it into the final game but it is not unreasonable to associate him with that content. i dont know why razzledazzle is so insanely invested in that strawman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Arist posted:

huh, fair i guess, still not really down with the central idea of you being the arbiter of moral purity in JRPG purchases
Sorry, I probably was going holier-than-thou.
My problem is just, with how much the thread goes on about Persona 5 being problematic, to the point that it's the name of the thread, to just continue to blindly buy the game makes all that seem hollow I guess. I dunno. You can make up your own mind. It's just to me, I'm not sure I'd feel right doing it again.