Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Genghis Cohen posted:

Torn between Lone Wolf and Northern Raiders. Very ready for this to be released.

These two definitely sound the most fun, I think everyone has always wanted to blast their way through a load of lovely bandits with a greatsword right from day 1, or doing the whole "banditry" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i wonder if they've rewritten some of the ambitions for the hedge knight start.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Nah; I don’t want to be a bandit. Though that might be due to my extensive first hand experience of how bandit parties end up though.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019
I do wonder how viable it will be to do actual caravan raiding and banditry. Unlikely that you can get enough tools and supplies without cities, and I don't think it likely there will be any bandits to trade with. Some proper banditry mechanics would be fun though.

More viably, one could just focus on being friendly with a single house, and then go murder the rest of them. Probably won't end well if you have permanent destruction on, but watching the world burn is also entertainment :v:

Also: Peasant militia has to be easy mode? All it bars you from is Hedge Knights and Nobles, no? Maybe bastards? Usually not worth it anyway, even though I do tend to keep a couple around. A full company of wildmen, brawlers and hunters are cheap and kick rear end.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

I do wonder how viable it will be to do actual caravan raiding and banditry. Unlikely that you can get enough tools and supplies without cities, and I don't think it likely there will be any bandits to trade with. Some proper banditry mechanics would be fun though.

More viably, one could just focus on being friendly with a single house, and then go murder the rest of them. Probably won't end well if you have permanent destruction on, but watching the world burn is also entertainment :v:

Also: Peasant militia has to be easy mode? All it bars you from is Hedge Knights and Nobles, no? Maybe bastards? Usually not worth it anyway, even though I do tend to keep a couple around. A full company of wildmen, brawlers and hunters are cheap and kick rear end.

I think peasant militia will definitely end up being the strongest start for a full run where you go into the post-lategame and you can churn through a lot of bad recruits to get to the good ones. The fact that probably none of your guys will ever end up being quite as good as a RNG-friendly hedge knight or sellsword or adventurous noble will be more than balanced out by the four extra guys you can deploy, and being able to keep 25 in your company will make it much easier to find and develop the best lowborns.

You'll notice that each of the starts has a skull rating, and I think peasant militia was the only one that got one skull, meaning the devs also think it's the easiest. Lone Wolf is the only one I can remember with three skulls, because even though in the beginning it might be super fun cleaving through bandit thugs while they bounce off you, in the lategame only being able to have 12 bros total will really hurt a lot.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also in the beginning the lone soldier can get surrounded and clubbed to death by losing all fatigue and you have very little starting money and supplies to grab meatshields.

I saw the Hedge Knight start on stream though and the guy starts with like 65 Melee and 3 stars Melee, 2 stars Melee Defense, and 3 stars Fatigue.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Also in the beginning the lone soldier can get surrounded and clubbed to death by losing all fatigue and you have very little starting money and supplies to grab meatshields.

I saw the Hedge Knight start on stream though and the guy starts with like 65 Melee and 3 stars Melee, 2 stars Melee Defense, and 3 stars Fatigue.

What kind of equipment did he start with?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

vyelkin posted:

What kind of equipment did he start with?

Longsword, Sellsword Armor, and a 200+ helmet. Both armors are 200+.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Longsword, Sellsword Armor, and a 200+ helmet. Both armors are 200+.

That's good poo poo and I'd trust 65 MAtk and the Longsword AOE to make sure you don't get clubbed to death by bandit thugs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

vyelkin posted:

That's good poo poo and I'd trust 65 MAtk and the Longsword AOE to make sure you don't get clubbed to death by bandit thugs.

The streamer was clubbed to death by bandit thugs three times before he got a start. It surprised me as well. Oh, also, the Knight is Level 4.

Osci
Oct 11, 2016
I saw someone do the poacher start and I'm kinda drawn to it. You get to start with 2 poachers and a hunter, all with 2 stars in ranged attack. That means that the annoying early game hunt for ranged recruits is completely gone.

Speaking of ranged, I saw the stats on the heavy throwing axes and they seem insane. They have 35-55 dmg and 115%/25% armor damage with the only trade-off being -5% to hit. With the weapon spec and at point blank they deal roughly the same damage as a double gripped fighting axe.
If the javelins get anywhere close to the same buffs I'm going to be hunting reavers all day during the early-mid game.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Night10194 posted:

The streamer was clubbed to death by bandit thugs three times before he got a start. It surprised me as well. Oh, also, the Knight is Level 4.

Oh wow really, that's surprising to me. I would have thought that as long as you don't get stun locked you'd be okay even with the fatigue damage. But then again I'd definitely take Recover immediately just to help avoid this.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Osci posted:

I saw someone do the poacher start and I'm kinda drawn to it. You get to start with 2 poachers and a hunter, all with 2 stars in ranged attack. That means that the annoying early game hunt for ranged recruits is completely gone.

Oh my god that's amazing. I don't know if it's just me (probably) but the two or three campaigns I tried playing over the last month I had the worst time trying to get an extra archer or two, even with a couple of hunter towns on the map. Let alone trying to get someone with good morale, melee attack , and ranged attack for a sergeant.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Osci posted:

Did you see how much the inventory penalty was? Because if it's like 10 or 20 less stuff and not 'halved inventory' or someshit I am all over being poachers.

Osci
Oct 11, 2016

Night10194 posted:

Did you see how much the inventory penalty was? Because if it's like 10 or 20 less stuff and not 'halved inventory' or someshit I am all over being poachers.

They started with 81 instead of 99, no idea if the number you get from ambitions/events change.

Osci fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 8, 2019

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
oh no I can't carry 3 copies of a weapon 'just in case' and have to ditch 3-coin vendor trash oh nooooo

Yeah woodsmen sound awesome.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah that's actually a huge non issue. That's a "Take one less fight before selling poo poo" number.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
DLC will be live in about 14 hours or so. Can't wait to play as Hedge Knight.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Will it be compatible with saves at all or is that a dream?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Affi posted:

Will it be compatible with saves at all or is that a dream?

Haven't read anything official. My guess is that saves will work, but that the new content won't show up until you start a new campaign, as it was with the last DLC.

6 hours to go says Steam.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hammerstein posted:

Haven't read anything official. My guess is that saves will work, but that the new content won't show up until you start a new campaign, as it was with the last DLC.

6 hours to go says Steam.

If it's like it was last time, it seems like anything that changes game systems or that spawns during gameplay will be savegame compatible. So you should be able to go fight barbarians and take their gear and stuff. But anything that's fixed at the start of the game won't be, so if there are any changes to the map or new legendary locations or anything like that, you'll need a new game to see those.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Oh poo poo, I just got home from work and it's out in an hour? Hype!

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
Is it not available for pre-order or am I just an idiot?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

caedwalla posted:

Is it not available for pre-order or am I just an idiot?

It's not, same as last time. It will pop up on Steam in less than 1 hour if things go well.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Oh poo poo, I just got home from work and it's out in an hour? Hype!

It's been an hour since I posted this and steam has only just gone from "available in approximately an hour" to "available in less than an hour" "available in approximately less than an hour". I mean yeah I kinda hoped that'd be the case. Can't we just get a countdown?

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 9, 2019

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

It's been an hour since I posted this and steam has only just gone from "available in approximately an hour" to "available in less than an hour" "available in approximately less than an hour". I mean yeah I kinda hoped that'd be the case. Can't we just get a countdown?

20 mins. I thought it would unlock at 6pm CET.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
All games should unlock at midnight.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
It's oooout

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

"Support the Devs" version bought. Patching...

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
I've been delaying starting a new campaign until the new update dropped.

Meet Dieter, the heart and soul of my soon to be retired company

This beautiful drunken farmer with a deathwish managed to survive over 500 days and 2 near-wipes of my company.

Godspeed Dieter.

Time to roll up a new batch! I'm thinking I'll take a militia company to the post-late game and mess around with the Hedge Knight and Cultist starts on the side.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

bonus hole boy posted:

I've been delaying starting a new campaign until the new update dropped.

Meet Dieter, the heart and soul of my soon to be retired company

This beautiful drunken farmer with a deathwish managed to survive over 500 days and 2 near-wipes of my company.

Godspeed Dieter.

Time to roll up a new batch! I'm thinking I'll take a militia company to the post-late game and mess around with the Hedge Knight and Cultist starts on the side.

That's badass. My favourite brother ever was a similar sort, maybe not the best of the gang on paper, but he was around forever and in the one time I ever beat the goblin capital this absolute hero, over the course of many turns, wades across several tiles of swamp, swarmed by insects the entire time, fighting through magic vines every step of the way, and loving solos a shaman and several other random gobbos when he finally reaches solid ground. I'm still bummed I forgot to grab a screenshot because the trail of corpses and broken vines leading to him standing over the shaman's corpse told the whole story by itself.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Instant first impressions, Lone Wolf is interesting but indeed quite challenging. The avatar is really strong against early-game enemies, I've been chewing through thralls and thugs like tissue. Even getting surrounded by 7 thugs on my first mission wasn't too bad because 15 stamina recovery at the start of each round was enough to take out one per turn even if they maxed out my stamina whacking me with cudgels. The problem was after that fight my armour was so wrecked it would take multiple days just to repair it, and I didn't feel like sitting around so the last few fights I've gone in without 100% armour--which to be fair hasn't been too bad so far.

The tricky part has been getting a proper company up and running. I hired a few guys so far, but haven't been able to get past 4 so far because of money tightness and fatalities. Where usually you have three decent bros with decent gear to help shepherd new guys, having only one is really tricky. He can hold an entire flank on his own, but that means on the other flank it's pure newbies up against whoever you're facing, and almost inevitably that means them taking a lot of damage.

Also barbarians are really fun so far. They're different enough from bandits that it's like a breath of fresh air having new enemies to fight, they come with wardogs from day one, and they give you access to cool-looking weapons and armour right from day one. Great addition.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

vyelkin posted:

Instant first impressions, Lone Wolf is interesting but indeed quite challenging. The avatar is really strong against early-game enemies, I've been chewing through thralls and thugs like tissue. Even getting surrounded by 7 thugs on my first mission wasn't too bad because 15 stamina recovery at the start of each round was enough to take out one per turn even if they maxed out my stamina whacking me with cudgels. The problem was after that fight my armour was so wrecked it would take multiple days just to repair it, and I didn't feel like sitting around so the last few fights I've gone in without 100% armour--which to be fair hasn't been too bad so far.

The tricky part has been getting a proper company up and running. I hired a few guys so far, but haven't been able to get past 4 so far because of money tightness and fatalities. Where usually you have three decent bros with decent gear to help shepherd new guys, having only one is really tricky. He can hold an entire flank on his own, but that means on the other flank it's pure newbies up against whoever you're facing, and almost inevitably that means them taking a lot of damage.

Also barbarians are really fun so far. They're different enough from bandits that it's like a breath of fresh air having new enemies to fight, they come with wardogs from day one, and they give you access to cool-looking weapons and armour right from day one. Great addition.

The biggest flaw with Lone Wolf is that the end game slide when you retire treats your avatar as a regular brother, so when you retire the slide will talk about your avatar's fate as if he were someone else while "you" go on to do other things, as usual :v:

My immersion is obliterated.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AG3 posted:

The biggest flaw with Lone Wolf is that the end game slide when you retire treats your avatar as a regular brother, so if you retire early the slide will talk about your avatar's fate as if he were someone else while "you" go on to do other things, as usual :v:

Oh yeah I also got an event that said that particular bro approached me about something, so they definitely just didn't care about that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I miss having good-layout map seeds. :negative:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao the peasants rule. Two of my poor bastards started with no weapon at all, and another started with a lute.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I'm enjoying a completely unsustainable Lone Wolf beginning in which my knight only ever hires a single bro to accompany him - his faithful squire Henrik.

I'm on my third Henrik so far.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Beauty of peasants is that their stars and starting weapons can randomize, unlike the other company origins.

Also Lone Wolf is a way rougher start than expected.

Osci
Oct 11, 2016

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I miss having good-layout map seeds. :negative:

Seeds from the last patch seem to still work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Osci posted:

Seeds from the last patch seem to still work

I was going to ask if someone has a link to a list of good seeds.