Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

General Dog posted:

If Dany just rolls the defenses at Kings Landing anyway, then why have D&D gone through all of these ridiculous plot contortions to try to make it seem like a plausibly even fight?

Suspense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

Stephen Dillane was way too good for this show. For all of the complaints he had, he absolutely nailed Stannis to the point where I found his book character more believable because I could absolutely understand how someone with that kind of charisma and composure would command loyalty.

Yeah it kinda blows my mind to know that his performance was apparently half-hearted because he came across so good on the show.

edit: Also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP3Ud8cj_WM

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

General Dog posted:

If Dany just rolls the defenses at Kings Landing anyway, then why have D&D gone through all of these ridiculous plot contortions to try to make it seem like a plausibly even fight?

It’s never been about it being a fair fight. It’s always been about not burning KL down while winning.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Cersei is gonna blow up the Red Keep, and she’s banking on Dany being inside when it happens.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Gorn Myson posted:

Stephen Dillane was way too good for this show. For all of the complaints he had, he absolutely nailed Stannis to the point where I found his book character more believable because I could absolutely understand how someone with that kind of charisma and composure would command loyalty.

Stannis was hands down my favorite character the entire time he was on the show, in part because of his interactions with Davos and in part because Dillane just loving crushed it. There's an interview where he talked about not understanding his role and feeling like no one appreciated it, but wanting to do it anyway because he wanted to do the role justice. Oh, and he needed Liam Cunningham to explain certain plot points to him from time to time. How much more Stannis-like can one person get.

Even his grammar curmudgeonness was charming. Dude deserved better.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Lol I read through all the spoilers for the first time.

Holy poo poo this season is going to be kill the entire GoT IP level bad.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
This is a great chart showing the declining ratings by episode in the television programme Game of Thrones.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/bmgkfu/oc_the_downfall_of_game_of_thrones_ratings/

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

clown shoes posted:

This is a great chart showing the declining ratings by episode in the television programme Game of Thrones.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/bmgkfu/oc_the_downfall_of_game_of_thrones_ratings/

I was really curious about that dip in season 5. Must be external. Since the internet is amazing, it didn't take long to guess that it was the 2015 Mother's Day Snowstorm.

https://www.weather.gov/unr/2015-05-09_10

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

So that picture of Stephen Dillane's name in the new intro has gotta be fake then, right?

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Ola posted:

I was really curious about that dip in season 5. Must be external. Since the internet is amazing, it didn't take long to guess that it was the 2015 Mother's Day Snowstorm.

https://www.weather.gov/unr/2015-05-09_10

This is actually based on critics ratings, not viewer ratings. That dip in season five is Sansa's wedding night.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
thinkpiece. lol

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

CODChimera posted:

Bronn should just show up in random places with his crossbow. At this point it's like the only thing that could recover the show

The crossbow Bronn has is "the little brother" (to the big dragon killing cross bows), kills Cercei with it, thus fulfilling the prophecy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

mp5 posted:

So that picture of Stephen Dillane's name in the new intro has gotta be fake then, right?

It was fake

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Savant posted:

The crossbow Bronn has is "the little brother" (to the big dragon killing cross bows), kills Cercei with it, thus fulfilling the prophecy.

it's joffrey's crossbow, and joffrey is 'the little brother' to the true baratheon heir that cersei had with robert, and then infanticided

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Didn't it just die and that is what really broke their marriage forever.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Remember when GRRM begged the showrunners to put the show on hiatus so he could finish the books and let the books catch up? And we all laughed at him?

Turns out he was right, it would have been better to suspend production indefinitely

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Mike N Eich posted:

Remember when GRRM begged the showrunners to put the show on hiatus so he could finish the books and let the books catch up? And we all laughed at him?

Turns out he was right, it would have been better to suspend production indefinitely

Nah, gently caress GRRM, I hope he's watching this poo poo and despising his legacy.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

clown shoes posted:

This is actually based on critics ratings, not viewer ratings. That dip in season five is Sansa's wedding night.

*jumps through moon door*

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Actually, the garbage show is so bad that I feel reverse closure now. Would have been better if they just had aborted after the bad pussy incident and waited forr Martin Grum to write his books, i.e. die having never written them.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

PostNouveau posted:

Shoot her! Holy poo poo she's right there and you've got a giant crossbow! It's literally the only way you can win this war, and she's just offering it to you!!!

lol this looks like a Sims 2 lot in build mode.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

crazy cloud posted:

lol at all the cranky babies who showed up itt to post their individual "spoilers are bad actually" idiot takes

:agreed:

Admiral Ray posted:

Nah, gently caress GRRM, I hope he's watching this poo poo and despising his legacy.

:agreed:

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
the entire show is just spoilers for the books, which will not ever exist

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

A lot of people say season five is when the show went bad but there were warning signs early on. In season two when they changed the order of events, having Rob get married and Cat freeing Jaime before Theon "killed" Bran and Rickon was just baffling. It weakened all of those storylines. Of course season two was when we got our first fart joke. We knew then.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't think the spoilers are really that bad on their face. They could've laid a lot more groundwork for a Dany heel turn, but it still won't be completely out of nowhere. And at least at the end of the day they're not asking us to believe that the battle between her and Cersei's men is a fair fight.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

clown shoes posted:

A lot of people say season five is when the show went bad but there were warning signs early on. In season two when they changed the order of events, having Rob get married and Cat freeing Jaime before Theon "killed" Bran and Rickon was just baffling. It weakened all of those storylines. Of course season two was when we got our first fart joke. We knew then.

Yeah, I'm happy people are finally coming round to how bad the show is but there's still an awful lot of revisionism going on where people act like the sudden decline in quality happened in these last two seasons. While Seasons 1-4 are certainly the best seasons, poo poo started going off the rails in Season 2 with Dany's Qarth storyline, Talisa/Robb, and Jon's storyline. Not to mention the smaller stuff like Ros, Littlefinger's ridiculous ever-changing accent (aNd HArReNaL? I ShUposh tHAt'sH oFf tHE TaBLe aSh wELL) and the endless brothel scenes.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

We did however get the F00kin Legend of Gin Alley.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

In It For The Tank posted:

While Seasons 1-4 are certainly the best seasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alHZlAYUE7U
Has better dialogue than the first seasons.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the show has always been flawed but only psychotic book purists complained about the early seasons. imo

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

This "Dany kinda forgot" meme is pretty good and versatile, love it.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in a show filled with retards brienne of tarth is one of the biggest. stannis deserved better

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I still say even Season 6 is watchable. There are nitpicks like Jon's stupid-rear end suicide charge, but characters weren't all useless morons in some way. It didn't have this pacing problem of giving every single character equal face time so that Jon telling Dany about his lineage didn't take up the same amount of time as a conversation where The Hound teaches Tormund the word "dick" (I still think that exchange is worse than the "bad pussy" line by a mile).

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Plan Z posted:

I still say even Season 6 is watchable. There are nitpicks like Jon's stupid-rear end suicide charge, but characters weren't all useless morons in some way. It didn't have this pacing problem of giving every single character equal face time so that Jon telling Dany about his lineage didn't take up the same amount of time as a conversation where The Hound teaches Tormund the word "dick" (I still think that exchange is worse than the "bad pussy" line by a mile).

Season 6's finale, despite some huge flaws, is one of the best episodes of the series imo and that alone makes s6 mostly worth watching I guess

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Lol they don't give the actors actual scripts anymore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVFUJae2W1Y&t=150s

Apparently in the earlier seasons, it was really collaborative, with even people like cameramen and boom operators giving sound advice. The show built up such a mystique about dead characters and spoilers and leaks that they threw out the entire creative process.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Plan Z posted:

Lol they don't give the actors actual scripts anymore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVFUJae2W1Y&t=150s

Apparently in the earlier seasons, it was really collaborative, with even people like cameramen and boom operators giving sound advice. The show built up such a mystique about dead characters and spoilers and leaks that they threw out the entire creative process.

Yeah they stopped giving paper scripts to try to prevent leaks.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Admiral Ray posted:

your brain is poisoned

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

In It For The Tank posted:

Yeah, I'm happy people are finally coming round to how bad the show is but there's still an awful lot of revisionism going on where people act like the sudden decline in quality happened in these last two seasons. While Seasons 1-4 are certainly the best seasons, poo poo started going off the rails in Season 2 with Dany's Qarth storyline, Talisa/Robb, and Jon's storyline. Not to mention the smaller stuff like Ros, Littlefinger's ridiculous ever-changing accent (aNd HArReNaL? I ShUposh tHAt'sH oFf tHE TaBLe aSh wELL) and the endless brothel scenes.

Play with her rear end.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

clown shoes posted:

Play with her rear end.

The tournament from S1 that Robert throws is supposed to attract thousands, but it was before they had the budget for cgi crowds, so they stuck like 30 people on a stadium bench and called it a day.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

That fucker had like 6 goddamn years to write that book, don't condone that behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Plan Z posted:

Oh please, the most important part of this video is Nikolaj Coster-Waldau getting a crowd to cheer for the manager of Leeds.