Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Hopefully they won't get board making a bunch of them
Woodn’t that be awful?

Congrats! Looks great! Now make 75 more of them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Woodn’t that be awful?

Congrats! Looks great! Now make 75 more of them!

You joke but that’s basically what I’d have to commit to if I am to be in the Holiday catalog.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Well buckle down and hopefully you don't have too many more problems finishing.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
I’m looking for advise on refinishing some outdoor picnic tables. We’ve got some IKEA kids picnic tables that claim to be acacia and I want to strip or sand them down and put something that will hopefully protect them and not require refinishing every year. I’ve seen spar varnish/urethane or possibly Epifanes being mentioned as good options. Does anyone here have any suggestions on what to use?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Well buckle down and hopefully you don't have too many more problems finishing.

That’s what she said.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Falco posted:

I’m looking for advise on refinishing some outdoor picnic tables. We’ve got some IKEA kids picnic tables that claim to be acacia and I want to strip or sand them down and put something that will hopefully protect them and not require refinishing every year. I’ve seen spar varnish/urethane or possibly Epifanes being mentioned as good options. Does anyone here have any suggestions on what to use?

woodworking for mere mortals and the wood whisperer have both done clips on outdoor finishes, and having to go back and refinish outdoor furniture. I forget what the end result was though, so have fun.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Feenix posted:

That’s what she said.

Lol heyooooo

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Perhaps it's just me but I prefer oils over barrier style finishes for outdoor furniture.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Discuss

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Gonna suck trying to clean the corners, and it bugs me how the left front edge lines up with the concrete top, but the closest edge overlaps. Also, the gap difference on the left hand side.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
so i'm just getting into this stuff and i'm working with japanese hand tools. i've made a mallet and am gonna make a toolbox next, but i'm not quite sure where to go from there to work on gaining joinery skills

any advice?

here's my mallet. it's far from perfect, but considering this was the first time i'd ever touched any of these tools i think it's a fine enough first attempt

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Boxes. Lots of boxes. Different sized boxes. Boxes with mitred corners. Dovetail boxes. Jewellery boxes.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

mikeycp posted:

so i'm just getting into this stuff and i'm working with japanese hand tools. i've made a mallet and am gonna make a toolbox next, but i'm not quite sure where to go from there to work on gaining joinery skills

any advice?

Anything that involves more than one piece of wood will require joinery of some kind. Anything you can make for your workshop is a good place to start since it doesn't need to be perfect and it will always provide some utility, no matter how many mistakes you make. Stuff like a sandpaper holder, boxes or drawers for storing tools etc. Get started on that toolbox and see how you go!

Do you have a workbench or having you been doing everything in the traditional Japanese style?

Also, nice mallet!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Granite Octopus posted:

Do you have a workbench or having you been doing everything in the traditional Japanese style?

Also, nice mallet!

thanks!

i've been doing it japanese style. gonna make some j-sawhorses at some point to elevate things a bit though. i figure if i end up wanting a workbench eventually i'll make it since that seems like The Way To Do It

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Looks alright...

for now...

I wish that Walnut had a better life elsewhere though.

mikeycp posted:

any advice?

here's my mallet. it's far from perfect, but considering this was the first time i'd ever touched any of these tools i think it's a fine enough first attempt

I had good practice with mortise/ tenon and rabbet joints when I made a couple of Krenov style sawhorses and an english style knee height sawbench. Those were also immediately useful for every other project.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
About to stain pine to a dark walnut, using the pre stain conditioner I'm thinking it won't be nearly as dark as I want it. Should I try a gel stain or drat the torpedoes and just use the penetrating stain without conditioner?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

The only thing I can think of is that they don't do a lot of cooking in that kitchen. I have a big farmhouse sink and it's constantly getting the poo poo beat out of it with large pots and pans. And there's water going through it at least hourly when everyone is home and larger preserving projects have water in the sink all day long. Even the porcelain gets scratches and dings. I can't imagine how quickly that's going to be a pain and get gross.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bob Mundon posted:

About to stain pine to a dark walnut, using the pre stain conditioner I'm thinking it won't be nearly as dark as I want it. Should I try a gel stain or drat the torpedoes and just use the penetrating stain without conditioner?

Always do test pieces when figuring out finishes you haven't done before. Try with and without, in other words, and decide which you like better.

This is going to be mildewy or outright moldy in no time, impossible to clean, and very likely leaky (check that gap between the left side wall and the countertop above it!). It also doesn't even look all that good IMO, especially the sharp contrast between the board the faucet rests on and the back of the sink.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Perhaps it's just me but I prefer oils over barrier style finishes for outdoor furniture.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

NPR Journalizard posted:

woodworking for mere mortals and the wood whisperer have both done clips on outdoor finishes, and having to go back and refinish outdoor furniture. I forget what the end result was though, so have fun.

Thanks for pointing me towards those two. It looks like they took very different approaches, with Woodworking for Mere Mortals going down only the staining path as his experience using Spar Varnish was not a good one.

And the Wood Whisperer went to the extreme of epoxying the entire top and then using Epifanes over that. Which I'm sure produced a beautiful long lasting finish, but for a kids picnic table, I'm not willing to go to that extreme.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Any particular kind of oil? Something like a Danish or Teak oil?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Falco posted:

Thanks for pointing me towards those two. It looks like they took very different approaches, with Woodworking for Mere Mortals going down only the staining path as his experience using Spar Varnish was not a good one.

And the Wood Whisperer went to the extreme of epoxying the entire top and then using Epifanes over that. Which I'm sure produced a beautiful long lasting finish, but for a kids picnic table, I'm not willing to go to that extreme.

Any particular kind of oil? Something like a Danish or Teak oil?
[/quote]

Exterior oils like that stuff you can buy by the gallon for fences and outdoor furniture.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm about 95% finished my guitar.

So I left off with a massive crack in it. I epoxied, sanded, epoxied, sanded, epoxied.... until I got to the point where I was satisfied.

One of my epoxy pours.

In the mean time I also did a coat with a sparse grey fleck on the back to cut the vibrancy of the blue a bit. I made it squiggly on purpose.

The neck finish turned out fantastic (Warmoth Smoked Maple, with Birchwood Casey Gun Stock Oil):

I routed out the neck, pickups, and the electronics compartment. I was not very pleased with how the pickups turned out, more on that later:

I fine tuned the neck pocket, installed the electronics, installed the neck and had a playable guitar:

My neighbor has a 3d printer at work, so I had him make me up a bracket for the pickups.

There's a bit of fret buzz, and I'm still going to work the pickup cutouts a bit, so when I de-string it, I'll probably shim the neck a touch and use the truss rod to bring it back close to where I want it.
The tone post,for some reason, decided to sink in when I was mounting the knobs, so I'll probably end up replacing that as well.

It's heavy as poo poo, but it plays well and I'm pretty loving pleased with it.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 8, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm about 95% finished my guitar.
It's heavy as poo poo, but it plays well and I'm pretty loving pleased with it.

Holy poo poo congrats on both (almost) finishing the project and having the idea work well. The neck and epoxy look great. Now play a concert and smash it!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Now play a concert and smash it!

It's so drat solid it would probably collapse the stage.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
How deep do curly maple ripples go? I have a ~10" round I cut down and dried that looks great but I'm worried about sanding them out

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Always do test pieces when figuring out finishes you haven't done before. Try with and without, in other words, and decide which you like better.

Seriously, what a concept. Seems to work great with the conditioner. Over thinking this and too many YouTube videos.

For finish was going to go with a oil/poly mix, thinking 1/3 each poly, boiled linseed oil, and mineral spirits to thin it out. Anything wrong with starting off there?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

any tips for cutting straight with a ryoba saw? i was practicing and i keep heading off to the left and i'm not sure how to not consistently do that

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

How deep do curly maple ripples go? I have a ~10" round I cut down and dried that looks great but I'm worried about sanding them out

You’re not going to sand them out unless they are saw marks you think is curl or something. The grain ripples are usually 1/4-1/2” deep, and there’s usually rows and rows of them.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I have some that goes all the way through the center mass. There’s about an inch on the edges under the bark that’s just clean maple. The curves do curve in 3D too. So it would depend on how it was cut I guess. But if it’s on both sides, you should be fine.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You’re not going to sand them out unless they are saw marks you think is curl or something. The grain ripples are usually 1/4-1/2” deep, and there’s usually rows and rows of them.

Oh no they're definitely not saw marks, I should have mentioned I plan on cutting off sections first and then sanding sorry that wasn't clear at all. Its for a sculpture and I'd like to keep them if they go deep enough

Jhet posted:

I have some that goes all the way through the center mass. There’s about an inch on the edges under the bark that’s just clean maple. The curves do curve in 3D too. So it would depend on how it was cut I guess. But if it’s on both sides, you should be fine.

Oh please oh please

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oh no they're definitely not saw marks, I should have mentioned I plan on cutting off sections first and then sanding sorry that wasn't clear at all. Its for a sculpture and I'd like to keep them if they go deep enough

Oh please oh please
If it’s a curly log it’s usually a curly log through and through. Sometimes around curves/branches and in reaction wood you get localized curl that you might run out of in a sculpture or something, but you’ll probably be fine.

Post pics of said sculpture obviously plz.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mikeycp posted:

any tips for cutting straight with a ryoba saw? i was practicing and i keep heading off to the left and i'm not sure how to not consistently do that

This is not a very helpful response but I recently used one for the first time and the answer there seemed to be "do it a few more times". I couldn't tell you what changed between attempt 1 and attempt 5.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

mikeycp posted:

Yeah, keep practicing. Unless they are bent or the teeth are poorly set (unlikely if it's new), saws want to saw straight. So you want to remove yourself from the equation as much as possible. Make sure your body is not interfering with your arm swinging freely in line with the cut.

One of my favorite hand tool woodworkers, Shannon Rogers, has done a couple videos on the topic. Hit YouTube for "Renaissance woodworker saw straight" and you'll find two or three.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

mikeycp posted:

Dumb question but are you standing square to the saw? It works better to be directly behind the pull motion rather than pulling to your side.

Hand tool set question: This July we're taking a drive up to Bar Harbor, ME. I want to stop at the Lie Nielsen workshop on the way and maybe splurge on a tool.

Currently I have:

Stanley no. 5
Lie Nielsen no. 4
A crummy little block plane that sort of works but is difficult to adjust
Full set of chisels
10-inch gentleman's saw
DeWalt Ryoba pull saw
Several panel (I keep forgetting whether rip or crosscut cause I can't use them yet) saws that I need to restore/sharpen, including a Disston
Coping saw

Any thoughts on something specific I should have next? I was thinking of getting a tenon saw. The pull saw is fine but I kind of want something thinner and that's not disposable. I use the gentleman's saw for dovetails, but I don't know if an actual dovetail saw would be a big improvement or not. Alternatively, I was thinking of a nice block plane or maybe a router plane.

z0331 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 9, 2019

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

z0331 posted:

Dumb question but are you standing square to the saw? It works better to be directly behind the pull motion rather than pulling to your side.

Hand tool set question: This July we're taking a drive up to Bar Harbor, ME. I want to stop at the Lie Nielsen workshop on the way and maybe splurge on a tool.

Currently I have:

Stanley no. 5
Lie Nielsen no. 4
A crummy little block plane that sort of works but is difficult to adjust
Full set of chisels
10-inch gentleman's saw
DeWalt Ryoba pull saw
Several panel (I keep forgetting whether rip or crosscut cause I can't use them yet) saws that I need to restore/sharpen, including a Disston
Coping saw

Any thoughts on something specific I should have next? I was thinking of getting a tenon saw. The pull saw is fine but I kind of want something thinner and that's not disposable. I use the gentleman's saw for dovetails, but I don't know if an actual dovetail saw would be a big improvement or not. Alternatively, I was thinking of a nice block plane or maybe a router plane.
I’d get either a block plane (although I like the Veritas one a little bit better than the LN, but both are Very Good) or some sort of back saw. I have a LN tenon saw I don’t use that much (because the bandsaw does most of what it does faster and straighter) but it cuts very well and a fine toothed crosscut saw that I use all the time that I love. I think I got the tapered version, and if I did it again I would get the non-tapered one. My dovetail saw is an awkward Crown gentleman’s saw and I keep thinking of replacing it with an LN.

The factory tour is pretty neat there. I can’t remember if you need to call ahead to schedule something or not but it’s worth taking the time to see.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’d get either a block plane (although I like the Veritas one a little bit better than the LN, but both are Very Good) or some sort of back saw. I have a LN tenon saw I don’t use that much (because the bandsaw does most of what it does faster and straighter) but it cuts very well and a fine toothed crosscut saw that I use all the time that I love. I think I got the tapered version, and if I did it again I would get the non-tapered one. My dovetail saw is an awkward Crown gentleman’s saw and I keep thinking of replacing it with an LN.

The factory tour is pretty neat there. I can’t remember if you need to call ahead to schedule something or not but it’s worth taking the time to see.

I'm leaning toward a carcass saw. There's a guy who sometimes appears at a local flea market who collects/sells restored planes. I bought my Stanley from him and can probably get a block plane off him at some point to replace the one I have. (And I can't really justify spending that much on the Veritas.) Good backsaws are a lot harder to find used.

Out of curiosity, what do you not like about the tapered version?

Not sure we'll have time for a full tour but thanks for the tip.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

z0331 posted:

Yeah, block planes. Get the adjustable mouth one and the rabbeting one imo. You can get good old and new backsaws for far cheaper, but even vintage router planes are pricey, so that might be another good get.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Took off the bark on another chunk off that curly maple last night, gonna cut and sand and figure out how deep these go today. I cant stop touching it, I love playing with wood I sourced myself.
http://imgur.com/gallery/IyptmtR

mikeycp posted:

Make sure you arent twisting while pushing and maybe check the blade to make sure its square. If you want to check and see if its operator error or not you can always clamp a 2x4 on the right and see how it cuts.

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 9, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Took off the bark on another chunk off that curly maple last night, gonna cut and sand and figure out how deep these go today. I cant stop touching it, I love playing with wood I sourced myself.
http://imgur.com/gallery/IyptmtR

Make sure you arent twisting while pushing and maybe check the blade to make sure its square. If you want to check and see if its operator error or not you can always clamp a 2x4 on the right and see how it cuts.

ooooooh

nice stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

z0331 posted:

i think it's probably this. haven't made horses yet so i'm working nearly entirely on the ground rn.