Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Yo what up, Snorlax and Pikachu here from Anor Londo.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Aramek posted:

Yo what up, Snorlax and Pikachu here from Anor Londo.

if i saw that duo coming at me in the battlegrounds or cyrodil id get flashbacks and run away

also :hellyeah: just cleared my first vet dungeon and completed selenes set for my stamplar. shoutout the awesome guild leader that tanked like motherfucker and shoutout to the dickhead rando that trashtalked our tank cause i guess we didnt complete it as fast as his spreadsheets said we should have

ASenileAnimal fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 26, 2019

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Scyantific posted:

If you are below level 50 it will be normal exp. Besides, it's better to do it all on one character because the final reward for clearing all three faction stories is a sweet kettle helm from our boy Caldwell.

I'm glad to read that the main story comes full circle, when I first played it years ago I gave up thinking I would never get Cadwell out of tutorial land

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Welcome to River Retreat!

Upon entering you'll be greeted by our concierge staff

Every amenity is at your disposal

Train for battle, enjoy a nice meal, then take a relaxing dip in your own private river

When you're done with the great outdoors, retreat to your private study with a safe* and friendly honey badger

*(failure to refill the honey badger's meat dish voids safety guarantee)

And enjoy a cozy night's sleep in a comfortable rustic bed

We hope you enjoy your stay!

Edit: Feel free to visit anytime, I have every crafting bench/merchant/bank/target dummy all right there. @Hakarne in the guild.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 27, 2019

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
*finds scrying mirror hidden in bathroom*

(but seriously, it looks great!)

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
With how popular this game is it's strange that there is very little discussion about it. My friends didn't know it existed until I told them about it after they bounced off WoW.

Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost

Dpulex posted:

With how popular this game is it's strange that there is very little discussion about it. My friends didn't know it existed until I told them about it after they bounced off WoW.

I'm in a trading guild that seems to have attracted a lot of WoW refugees.
So WoW sucking is good for ESO.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sad Wendigo posted:

I'm in a trading guild that seems to have attracted a lot of WoW refugees.
So WoW sucking is good for ESO.
FF14 as well

Turns out the real WoW killer was WoW

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Dpulex posted:

i never played WoW but the few other mmos i tried just seemed like too much of a time sink. i like that you can pop in and out of eso every other day and do a few quests or whatever and not feel like youre missing out on a bunch of stuff. i also like that alot of it can be done solo if you dont have the time to get a dedicated group together.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
The thing keeping me from diving in is the progression. Is it true that you scale to the enemies? If this is true then what's the point? Please let me know if i'm wrong but i think this would kill any sense of character progression.

Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost

Dpulex posted:

The thing keeping me from diving in is the progression. Is it true that you scale to the enemies? If this is true then what's the point? Please let me know if i'm wrong but i think this would kill any sense of character progression.

You get a skill point every time you level up, on completion of main quest lines, and in a few other ways.

You put these skill points into the range of skills you want to use, and once your main 'build' is complete you can start trying out different variations. Like other weapon styles or armour types.
You also use these skill points to improve your crafting, along with crafting and breaking down items to boost the raw skill.

This means that you are constantly improving your character one way or another. My main character has done almost all of the main quest lines, and can still find things to do (PvP, dungeons) that give her more skill points to play around with.

You can also reset all of your skill points and try taking your character in a completely different direction.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Dpulex posted:

I can't speak about literal character/power progression, but... If you enjoy the housing feature, there's effectively endless progression in that mode.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Dpulex posted:

The thing keeping me from diving in is the progression. Is it true that you scale to the enemies? If this is true then what's the point?

Yes, this is true, at least from what I've seen so far. I spent a good portion of time roaming around several different zones, cherry-picking quests here and there and all of the enemies were equally as easy/difficult to kill, excluding rare or epic enemies. With the exception of bosses, I've yet to find a mob or group of mobs I can't easily kill by spamming starting skills.

As others have said there's still other types of progression in the game, but there's not Mob X you couldn't kill at level 10 that you can now destroy at level 20.

e: Also I've only been playing for a couple weeks, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

There's also just different types of content. I just started trying CRIME recently, and it's a lot of fun sneaking around trying to pickpocket/steal stuff from people, dodging guards, even the occasional... murder. Coincidentally I also just found the Dark Brotherhood last night, and the mission I did for them so far was really cool.

It's all a complete different feel from most other quests, though morrowind seems to give you the opportunity to do some trespassing quite a bit and get your feet wet.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

When you get to level 50 and start getting champion points and better gear, you really start feeling the progression. You can kill mobs more easily and most importantly you are less likely to be overwhelmed by numerous enemies. I'm working on getting the gear I need to try to solo world bosses and all that but it's possible from what I've read.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Dpulex posted:

There is definitely a power progression, but overall the game is fairly easy so it won't make a dramatic difference in 90% of questing. For overland content/delves you'll go from "I can kill anything except world bosses as long as I'm paying attention and don't pull 2-3 groups at once" to "I am an undying demigod of destruction whose AoE could lay waste to every normal enemy in this entire zone at once before they break my shield."

Where I really noticed and enjoyed the power progression was in the type of content I could solo and comfortably do as I gained levels and champion points. As mentioned you'll be able to do normal quests and delves no problem right from the start, but they can be deadly if you get careless. Public dungeons are the next step up - you'll probably need at least one other person to comfortably clear them because of mob density while you're leveling, same with dolmens. World bosses are even harder and will need a few people, normal dungeons will need a full group and could still be quite difficult (especially DLC dungeons), and vet dungeons will feel like an end game wall compared to everything else if you try them before hitting CP160 (please don't).

Then you'll hit max level/CP160 and start putting together builds. You'll notice overland content/delves go from simple to trivial and you can solo public dungeons without much effort. Then as you power up more with CP and really refine your build, you'll find you can even kill world bosses solo if you play right. Some are harder than others, and there are plenty that are still difficult to solo even when you're max CP and fully geared (Menhir Stoneskin, Bittergreen lol). You'll also notice normal dungeons get easier and easier to the point where you can solo them and carry even the worst group of pubbies through without issue. Veteran dungeons will keep getting quicker and easier, and you can even solo some of those if that's your thing. Then there's the Veteran Maelstrom Arena (vMA) which is it's own measure of hell solo progression, and trials /veteran trials which is where group progression and min/maxing really come into play.

So I definitely feel like this game has some great progression in terms of personal power, and it is kind of nice to follow the TES tradition of becoming a demigod in most situations by endgame. My main complaint is actually that you become too powerful to make new content like DLC zones engaging. Overland zones will become trivial and I find it hard to stay engaged when 95% of what you fight poses no threat. At that point it comes down to the world building and quests to keep you engaged and playing, which fortunately ESO is pretty great at on average.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

True progession is seeing how long it takes to piss off streamers while they pvp.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
My progression is collecting outfit styles.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Hakarne posted:

Lots of really good and true stuff

It's also worth noting that for a long while they kept pumping up "progression" by increasing the CP cap every update. However, since the game is effectively scaled to level, it made no real difference and basically made regular nerfs necessary to keep classes and builds in step with the ever escalating CP gain. They finally stopped increasing it a while ago, which is good, because continuing to increase it in a scaled game made zero loving sense.

That said, capping CP gain certainly hasn't deterred them from nerfing all kinds of poo poo nonstop since the Wheeler and Gilliam Show took the combat dev reins.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is Necromancer coming with the expansion release, or earlier? I'm assuming so but so much of the marketting really suggests an early release of the class that I have to ask.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

nessin posted:

Is Necromancer coming with the expansion release, or earlier? I'm assuming so but so much of the marketting really suggests an early release of the class that I have to ask.

It's coming with the new Elsweyr expansion.

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w

kedo posted:

Yes, this is true, at least from what I've seen so far. I spent a good portion of time roaming around several different zones, cherry-picking quests here and there and all of the enemies were equally as easy/difficult to kill, excluding rare or epic enemies. With the exception of bosses, I've yet to find a mob or group of mobs I can't easily kill by spamming starting skills.

As others have said there's still other types of progression in the game, but there's not Mob X you couldn't kill at level 10 that you can now destroy at level 20.

e: Also I've only been playing for a couple weeks, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

On the other hand you don't have to worry about outleveling the content if you're interested in completing the quests in a zone. And you can go anywhere and everywhere in the game from level 1, so no more Barrens grind. You can just dive right in to all the newly released zones from day one.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom
gents, i might be returning to ESO depending on how personal life pans out. I played for a while, but left 2 years ago, before Morrowind. Is the PC EU guild still a thing? Any requirements I should be aware of?

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Hey guys, is the Goon EU guild still recruiting? This thread seems pretty dead... Ingame name is Peake Trake.

Saki fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 6, 2019

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Saki posted:

Hey guys, is the Goon EU guild still recruiting? This thread seems pretty dead... Ingame name is Peake Trake.

I can get Dori to log onto EU and hand out an invite, but I don't think the EU guild is as active as the NA one. If you haven't gotten very far into your account/characters on the EU server I might recommend swapping to NA, we've had quite a few EU goons do so and they usually don't complain about the ping.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
Ping's not an issue until you start doing pvp or end-game pve.

Then 350+ ping, unstable at all times becomes a big problem.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
As someone who doesn't play MMOs all too often, I'm happy I got into this game. Really like how fun it is. Zone chat helped a dude out with his depression and taught him about khajiit genital anatomy. This game is a veritable paradise.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?

JadaX posted:

Ping's not an issue until you start doing pvp or end-game pve.

Then 350+ ping, unstable at all times becomes a big problem.

Yeah if it's at all similar to other mmos I've played the NA server experience is fine until you're against actual challenging content and then it's just miserable. I'll join some random lovely reddit guild instead.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Saki posted:

Yeah if it's at all similar to other mmos I've played the NA server experience is fine until you're against actual challenging content and then it's just miserable. I'll join some random lovely reddit guild instead.

Good thing here is that you can be a member of 5 guilds simultaneously!

Join 5 random lovely guilds and embrace gaming society.

kyrtian
Aug 26, 2005

I'd like a ginvite on @bradwardin. Really enjoying this so far, up to 26 Nightblade!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Nazgul posted:

Zone chat helped a dude out with his depression
:3:

quote:

and taught him about khajiit genital anatomy.
:frogon:

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Drunk personality is back for a couple days.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Ossipago posted:

But enough about my personal life, this thread is about ESO.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Ossipago posted:

I have a name thank you

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Can someone toss @dirtyfalcon an invite? did the pre-order thing might as well start a little now

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Just pre-ordered Elsweyr and started ESO Plus after only playing for like 15 levels back in 2014. Excited to pick up on all the content that's been released since then.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

This game has a shitload of content and I've been pleased that very few quests have been bad or boring to me.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

They have barbed dicks. It's canon, it's in an in-game book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pinkk
Sep 6, 2004

hi
can I get an invite as well pls? uID: @meatballer

thanks!