Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

freebooter posted:

Reading Pet Sematary for the first time and I have to say it's one of the most atmospheric and "scary" books of King's that I've read. Maybe it's because I'm only reading it at night, or maybe it's because I'm getting older than when I used to read him and the whole thing is drenched in anxiety about mortality and death, but yeah. Only 100 pages in and really digging it.

As someone else who just finished it for the first time, and whose only experience with it is that ancient South Park episode parodying it, I wasn't expecting it to be so existentially dreadful either. It's got good just regular rear end horror going on but the mortality stuff sells it harder. Ended up really enjoying it. I should get around to reading more of his early stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Planning on buying a couple of King books for Kindle and I’m seeing two versions of a couple I want (Pet Semetary and Rose Madder) from two different publishers: Hodder & Stoughton and Scribner, with the former being half the price of the latter but also about 100 pages shorter.

Anybody have any idea why this is and whether the H & S versions are abridged or some such nonsense?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Planning on buying a couple of King books for Kindle and I’m seeing two versions of a couple I want (Pet Semetary and Rose Madder) from two different publishers: Hodder & Stoughton and Scribner, with the former being half the price of the latter but also about 100 pages shorter.

Anybody have any idea why this is and whether the H & S versions are abridged or some such nonsense?

I suspect the one house simply uses smaller text and narrower margins.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Phantasium posted:

As someone else who just finished it for the first time, and whose only experience with it is that ancient South Park episode parodying it, I wasn't expecting it to be so existentially dreadful either. It's got good just regular rear end horror going on but the mortality stuff sells it harder. Ended up really enjoying it. I should get around to reading more of his early stuff.

Haha, that was my only cultural touchpoint for it too, which I'm hoping hasn't spoilered it too much. I've been on a kick of reading early King stuff since I picked up a copy of The Dead Zone at a library sale and really liked it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

freebooter posted:

Haha, that was my only cultural touchpoint for it too, which I'm hoping hasn't spoilered it too much. I've been on a kick of reading early King stuff since I picked up a copy of The Dead Zone at a library sale and really liked it.

That’s easily a Top 5 King novel.

It’s crazy how King mostly dropped the episodic format after that novel,since it compliments his strength at writing short stories.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Honestly kind of bummed that Pet Semetary has sort of poo poo the bed since it's..well...it really doesn't that seem that hard to make a good movie out of it. Some of King's work I get is hard to adapt and SHOW since usually his books center so much around internal dialogue.|

I guess PS is like that too (been a while since I read it) but in the case of this work it seems to me that showing the internal struggle wouldn't be all that hard. No one wants their pets, their kids or their spouse to die and everyone deals with facing down mortality and, when you have a family, the pressure that goes with feeling how you have to protect that.. What I mean is, I think it would be easier to exposit PS than many of King's books since the root of the fear is so very universal. The Mist managed this well.

Christine did a decent job of it (translating internal stuff to a visual medium) . Stand By Me had the narrator to help certain things along. Delores Clairborne was able to show us internal struggle and horrible life situations. Misery and even Cujo showed us the fear of being isolated and trapped without requiring King's usual "here's what's in the characters' head" style.

PS is "what would I give to have the things I love back?" and "how far would I go to do it?" so how that's managed to be incredibly cheesy twice is beyond me. I think it's weird that King;s favorite adaptations, for the most part, are ones that are generally poo poo too.

Having said that, I think we can all agree that The Long Walk remains the easiest King story to adapt and we've still never gotten it. I guess killing kids on screen in a semi tasteful way is an obvious obstacle but other movies have dealt with it.

poo poo....TL/DR: Why do both Pet Semetary movies suck?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
https://ew.com/tv/2019/04/09/stephen-king-adapting-liseys-story-for-julianne-moore/

quote:

No one is touching Stephen King‘s Lisey’s Story except him.

The author has adapted his 2006 novel, which is his personal favorite of his books, for an eight-episode series on Apple TV, starring Julianne Moore as the title character.
:psyduck:

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Smuck that babyluv poo poo. Hands down the worst SK book I’ve read.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

"No one is adapting it except King" is incredibly misleading. JJ Abrams is producing and King only wrote an adaptation and will be EP like every other adaptation. That article's title makes it sounds like he's hopping back into the director's chair himself.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Franchescanado posted:

"No one is adapting it except King" is incredibly misleading. JJ Abrams is producing and King only wrote an adaptation and will be EP like every other adaptation. That article's title makes it sounds like he's hopping back into the director's chair himself.

We should be so blessed.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

We should be so blessed.

Stephen King trying to direct a mini-series from his personal favorite novel, Lisey's Story, sounds like such a Stephen King thing to do. I was kinda disappointed to find out it's just going to be an actual adaptation like 11/22/63.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Franchescanado posted:

Stephen King trying to direct a mini-series from his personal favorite novel, Lisey's Story, sounds like such a Stephen King thing to do. I was kinda disappointed to find out it's just going to be an actual adaptation like 11/22/63.

11 was a great show I thought. Now if they'd only adapt IT into a 10 part series.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd always assumed his success came before the drugs, but now I'm not so sure.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

From King's college student days:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Finished Pet Semetary and I still think it's great, in his top five if not top three, but one thing that irked me about the ending was the way King can never quite help himself from letting his imagination run too far. The idea that the cemetery itself can influence things beyond its boundaries, and manipulate people into burying the dead up there, was completely unnecessary. It's more frightening and unsettling if we consider that humans will convince themselves into bad ideas because they want to focus on what they want, and King in fact does a perfectly good job of making his logical doctor protagonist talk himself into it step by step. The prophetic dreams and visions in the swap were unnecessary too. It reminded me of the end of 22/11/63 when he got carried away and decided the main character's actions had set off timequakes and pissed off the time cops, or whatever, sullying an otherwise perfectly good story. Anyway, still a great book, great sense of existential dread and horror all the way through.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
So do you think that Pennywise's spaceship crashed/landed is the same one that was found in the woods in Tommyknockers, and that those woods are connected to the woods in Pet Semetary (both of their grounds were 'spoilt')?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I started a re-listen of The Dark Tower audio books. I have the first three parts read by King himself I ripped from the cassettes.

If you haven't heard his version, you should do so. I would love to hear what you think of his Detta Walker.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

So do you think that Pennywise's spaceship crashed/landed is the same one that was found in the woods in Tommyknockers, and that those woods are connected to the woods in Pet Semetary (both of their grounds were 'spoilt')?
I think they came from the same mind but I don't think they were intended to be part of the same metaverse. No need to try to causually connect them, as in doing so you might find yourself *cough* retconning things just to make them fit and only break them further. Best to enjoy them as really really impossibly long short stories and leave it alone.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Just started reading The Outsider drat its good. I even got a little creeped out last night reading it by myself while the wife and kid were gone. Highly recommend it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Flaggy posted:

Just started reading The Outsider drat its good. I even got a little creeped out last night reading it by myself while the wife and kid were gone. Highly recommend it.

The first third of The Outsider is King at his best. It takes a dive after that, but still worth reading.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

RCarr posted:

The first third of The Outsider is King at his best. It takes a dive after that, but still worth reading.

It comes to such a screeching/needle scratch dive after that first third that I literally stopped reading and never picked it up again.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Transistor Rhythm posted:

It comes to such a screeching/needle scratch dive after that first third that I literally stopped reading and never picked it up again.

Yea, I kind of had to force myself to finish it, but the first third is good enough to warrant it, I think.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I just bought the audiobook, hopefully it's not as bad as every sex scene in 11/22/63 was. It didn't help that the narrator tried talking like a lady. That was so bad.

Or that last Dark Tower book when Eddie died and holy loving poo poo it took FOREVER for him to finally shut up and die. When King is on the mark there's no better popular writer. Then suddenly it's like he found an old bag of cocaine behind the couch. Or maybe that's when he's a good writer and he's bad when he can't find any drugs.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

I think they came from the same mind but I don't think they were intended to be part of the same metaverse. No need to try to causually connect them, as in doing so you might find yourself *cough* retconning things just to make them fit and only break them further. Best to enjoy them as really really impossibly long short stories and leave it alone.

Pennwise being *in* Tommyknockers forces a reader to think about it. Same with the shitweasels book or Insomnia. Just stating its an understandable thing.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

April posted:

I think that was The Shop? I could swear they were mentioned in one of his other books, but it's been forever since I read his older stuff.

From a while back, but I think it's Tommyknockers where a dude from The Shop shows up when everything is hitting the fan in the last 50 pages.

I think they're mentioned in passing in at least one other story, where somebody is talking about various government agencies, and mentions CIA, FBI, & Shop.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Careful you aren't falling into a "mind trap."

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

The Zombie Guy posted:

From a while back, but I think it's Tommyknockers where a dude from The Shop shows up when everything is hitting the fan in the last 50 pages.

I think they're mentioned in passing in at least one other story, where somebody is talking about various government agencies, and mentions CIA, FBI, & Shop.

The Shop are also the main antagonists in Firestarter

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

James Wan is producing a new adaptation of 'Salem's Lot.

This could be good.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The description of the book they used makes it sound like everyone was already an vampire when Ben Mears showed up in town.

I wonder if it is going to be a movie or series? I have always thought it would make a great one season series.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

nate fisher posted:

I wonder if it is going to be a movie or series? I have always thought it would make a great one season series.

StephenKing.txt

I weep for the It we'll never see.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqUopiAYdRg

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
That looks really good. They really nailed the spooky grandma.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Canuckistan posted:

That looks really good. They really nailed the spooky grandma.

You know who nailed the spooky granny? Steven Weber. That man read that audiobook like a god.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That spooky grandma is creeping me the gently caress out.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Are they bouncing back and forth on the timeline like the book? The first movie was totally linear so I didn’t know whether they’d keep with that or not.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Are they bouncing back and forth on the timeline like the book? The first movie was totally linear so I didn’t know whether they’d keep with that or not.

Certainly looks that way, which is probably a good idea just to remind the viewer which actor is which kid if nothing else.

I'm in. I loving the loved the first movie; only wished it was a little scarier and this one looks like it's turning up the creepy factor. That grandma scene was cool. Also notice that when they stare at their reflections in the window, there's 7 kids but only 5 adults.

EDIT: Hang on. Why does one character (Bill I think) appear to have a British or Australian accent?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 10, 2019

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Was there only 5 in that scene? I thought the other two were in the background.

We watched that trailer last night. My wife's reaction summed it up perfectly:

"Creepy grandma? ... Creepy naked grandma?"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

ya they said the ritual of chud would be in this movie i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Randalor posted:

Was there only 5 in that scene? I thought the other two were in the background.

2:17 of the trailer and I count 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ainv8UizP2M

YT led me to a related "everything you missed" vid but I can't find the exact one I watched since there's like 100 of them. Looked like five adults to me though.

Also, the number on grandma's door was "5" and the first thing you see.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't name this IIT.

EDIT:

A few seconds later, though, there's clearly 6 adults walking down the street so I dunno? .

And for real, where did that British accent come from? Richie the one that does the voices. Maybe someone moved abroad?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 10, 2019