Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Every time I gear up to sell my MS6 it reminds me how much fun it is to drive. I have a couple boxes of parts I should get around to installing, should liven her up even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

Here's another picture of this '78 Mercury because it's just gorgeous:

And while I was going through the 41 years of miscellaneous junk in the glove box, I found the original dealer invoice and payment receipts from when my grandfather bought it:

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
First of all, that car is GORGEOUS. I had a '79 Continental and an '84 Towncar so man did I love boats. But most importantly, the 460 in there made less than .5hp per cubic inch. Those engines were treasures...

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

MasonF posted:

Anyways, I dialed in my ride height on my MR2 to where I want it. :heysexy:

Your MR2 is amazing, and I've wanted one since high school. One day, maybe.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
MY WIFE's first two cars were two different MK1 MR2's, one in right hand drive and one in left hand when she moved to LA. She also gives the V8 hand signal every time she sees the M3. Keeper?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
She's a badass, and you are lucky to have each other

TheFonz posted:

Yupppppppp.

The real issue is ONLY having a big loving car, my desire for a MX-5/FT-86/GTI/Civic has now gone through the roof.

The fiesta st can be had for 14k now for a good low mile example. Lively as heck, especially with a tune, and about as small as you can get for a 4 door. Insurance is also pennies more than my wife's versa.

E:14k, not 12k. They went back up a bit, I assume because Ford stopped bringing them over this year.

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 11, 2019

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

MY WIFE's first two cars were two different MK1 MR2's, one in right hand drive and one in left hand when she moved to LA. She also gives the V8 hand signal every time she sees the M3. Keeper?

Sounds absolutely fantastic. Just one question?

What’s his name?

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

MasonF posted:

Anyways, I dialed in my ride height on my MR2 to where I want it. :heysexy:

Awesome car and is that some sort of alignment/height tool?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Fallows posted:

Awesome car and is that some sort of alignment/height tool?

Longacre toe plates: http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?itemid=2445&prodid=10270&pagetitle=Toe-Plates-with-Magnets-(pair)

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
My new ride...

just delivered Monday.

mechanically sound and runs well

can't wait to spend all my money on it

vroom, vroom.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Looks amazing, congrats! The colour is perfect.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yo somebody did something to your beetle.

Nice Ghia!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

:circlefap: Hot drat that is one good looking Ghia!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Beautiful car! Drive the hell out of it.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Grakkus posted:

Looks amazing, congrats! The colour is perfect.

yeah, it's a great color but definitely a 10 foot car. whoever did the respray did a pretty good job with the exception of a few glaring errors. like the area under the back side of the a pillar rain rail that chipped away.

always be closing posted:

Beautiful car! Drive the hell out of it.

that is 100% the plan. why have your dream car if you're just going to baby it in a garage and dream of driving it?

angryrobots posted:

Yo somebody did something to your beetle.

Nice Ghia!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:circlefap: Hot drat that is one good looking Ghia!

thanks!

walk around video from the seller if there's any acvw fans interested in some of the details

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKdZTvxoAnk

winter.mute fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 16, 2019

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Clean up the paint a bit and wrap it close to the same color!

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

After hunting for a suitable specimen for about three months, and foolishly passing on a solid C4, I finally found the right what I was looking for in this 2014 C4S:

Manual with Sport Chrono - I could probably count the amount of similar specs on my digits and not run out.

During the PPI, the DME readout was worth a good laugh:
range 6 - 0
range 5 - 0
range 4 - 0
range 3 - 0
range 2 - 0
range 1 - 42

So basically, nobody ever even got close to the rev limiter while accelerating... on 50K miles?

Of course, yesterday morning I had no heat, so it's likely a changeover valve needs replacing. Between that and wanting to change the oil, the air filters and spark plugs, I'm hoping for good weather Saturday morning so I can tear into the thing's arse.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

morothar posted:

During the PPI, the DME readout was worth a good laugh:
range 6 - 0
range 5 - 0
range 4 - 0
range 3 - 0
range 2 - 0
range 1 - 42

So basically, nobody ever even got close to the rev limiter while accelerating... on 50K miles?

Remind me what the ranges are? I thought you didn't want to go over range 2.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Yea pretty much, this is from a 997.1T but

quote:

Rev range 1: 6,740 -1 ... to 6,940 -1
⇒ Maximum permitted engine speed exceeded; engine damage possible.

Rev range 2: 6,940 -1 ... to 7,140 -1
⇒ Maximum permitted engine speed exceeded; engine damage possible.

Rev range 3: 7,140 -1 ... to 7,340 -1
⇒ Maximum permitted engine speed exceeded; engine damage probable.

Rev range 4: 7,340 -1 ... to 7,840 -1
⇒ Maximum permitted engine speed clearly exceeded; engine damage probable.

Rev range 5: 7,840 -1 ... to 8,940 -1
⇒ Maximum permitted engine speed very clearly exceeded; engine damage very probable.

Rev range 6: over 8,940 -1
⇒ Engine damage has generally occurred.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
What is the redline?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
6750, yes, that means it records normal hits of the redline. Common tunes will put you in range 2 at rev limit. Range 1-3 basically mean nothing, unless you're buying the thing to resell to a snob

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

1-2 meaningless, I've heard of 911s that hit the max count with no issues. You're basically close or at the redline
3-4 meh, unless it's constant
5-6 is the relevant bit, with 6 being a dealbreaker

Redline for the 3.8 is 7,800 I believe, 6,300 when cold.

Ranges aren't really supposed to matter with PDKs, as you can't misshift. With manuals however, that becomes a more reasonable concern. I'll also add that the 7-gear MT is not intuitive, and I can very well see how one could theoretically grab a low gear unintentionally.

Basically, I'm mystified with the PO - the car has 50K miles, but apparently mostly highway. It has barely seen the rev limiter despite being manual, and is generally in good to outstanding shape. The CarFax also shows that the car did about 20K miles each in the first two years, and only 5K per year thereafter. Oh, and it has never seen a Porsche dealership after the initial inspection, seems well maintained with new brake pads and good oil.
My guess is the PO must have had a car allowance or paid mileage, and have used the 911 to cover significant distance in TX for work?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that's the exact person you buy that car from

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Wait, so NOT the person who spraypaints the engine bay neon green, or puts energy drink stickers over the check engine light?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

morothar posted:

1-2 meaningless, I've heard of 911s that hit the max count with no issues. You're basically close or at the redline
3-4 meh, unless it's constant
5-6 is the relevant bit, with 6 being a dealbreaker

Redline for the 3.8 is 7,800 I believe, 6,300 when cold.

Ranges aren't really supposed to matter with PDKs, as you can't misshift. With manuals however, that becomes a more reasonable concern. I'll also add that the 7-gear MT is not intuitive, and I can very well see how one could theoretically grab a low gear unintentionally.

Basically, I'm mystified with the PO - the car has 50K miles, but apparently mostly highway. It has barely seen the rev limiter despite being manual, and is generally in good to outstanding shape. The CarFax also shows that the car did about 20K miles each in the first two years, and only 5K per year thereafter. Oh, and it has never seen a Porsche dealership after the initial inspection, seems well maintained with new brake pads and good oil.
My guess is the PO must have had a car allowance or paid mileage, and have used the 911 to cover significant distance in TX for work?

I certainly don't do that sort of mileage but I can probably count on two hands the number of times I've hot the revlimiter on my MS3 in 9 years of ownership-- all of which were probably at Texas A&Ms autox courses which tended to be a little longer and reach speeds right at the top of second gear, but not fast enough to justify shifting to third. (This isn't to say I don't rev the piss out of it on onramps, but the torque and power curve dip before you reach redline anyway)

Based on most Porsche driver's I've met they either seem to be a status symbol and don't care about spirited driving, or they baby their cars and perish the thought of redlining it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

BraveUlysses posted:

the PO of my M3 never even put it in MDM, let alone turning TC off totally because he drove it extremely softly. He probably shifted it at 5500 rpm most of the time. I've made up for this and attempt to spin the tires whenever it's feasible or otherwise amusing. It's a rev "limiter" for a reason, right?

I still haven't ever tried launch control mode though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ether Frenzy posted:

I've made up for this and attempt to spin the tires whenever it's feasible or otherwise amusing. It's a rev "limiter" for a reason, right?

my man.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Someone send me cash to fix this dumb piece of poo poo so I can play with my pals group 4 again >:[

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

Someone send me cash to fix this dumb piece of poo poo so I can play with my pals group 4 again >:[

How much will it cost to fix you?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Idk. 2 grand ish then another few on paint and what not

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bape Culture posted:

How about someone sends you cash for dr9ving lessons lmao

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

Idk. 2 grand ish then another few on paint and what not

Oh sorry I mean you, personally

You can see my confusion

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

fridge corn posted:

How about someone sends you cash for dr9ving lessons lmao

Sounds good

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Oh sorry I mean you, personally

You can see my confusion

Ah gently caress I can’t believe you’ve done this

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 16, 2022

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

Can we talk about you doing the most important thing which is selling that tub and getting that Pcar instead, yow

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Tremek posted:

Can we talk about you doing the most important thing which is selling that tub and getting that Pcar instead, yow

Then stick a V8 in it

There's a local V8 swapped 911 track car around here that's quick as hell. Think it was his track car, or maybe a friends, then the engine blew up and it was cheaper to swap it than rebuild.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 18, 2019

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Just bought my first Miata: an ‘04 PS with the sport package, bone stock. I wanted red, but compromised on color because it was a great price and otherwise exactly what I wanted. It’s a little ratty, but mechanically solid. I can’t wait to spend some summer weekends driving this thing through twisties in the woods on the way to the beach.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Can we make a calender and make this September?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

So did they fix fallout 76?