Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The crabs and shramps seem to be pretty decently hefty, not bad units at all. Or do they have some secret weakness(like actually being garbage) that I don't see in the stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

PurpleXVI posted:

The crabs and shramps seem to be pretty decently hefty, not bad units at all. Or do they have some secret weakness(like actually being garbage) that I don't see in the stats.

As far as free event troops, they look pretty top tier.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

PurpleXVI posted:

Shrimp Soldiers may look clumsy, but they can use their tail to fling themselves out of harm's way.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Cost upkeep, can't leave sea?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

LordSloth posted:

Cost upkeep, can't leave sea?

The crabs can leave the sea!

Not the shrimps though. On land, they cannot use their tail to fling themselves out of harm's way.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Jomon has a really top tier mage that can only be recruited underwater

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

sullat posted:

Jomon has a really top tier mage that can only be recruited underwater

If Jomon is the same as it was in dom4, it's actually basically secretly a UW nation that starts on land.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Hey Ramc, just wanted to say thanks for this great LP and how well you've been providing updates (and all of your past AARs).

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
So how many thrones is that? Ramc has claimed one, is sitting on a second unclaimed as the effects would mess with his scales, and now we have 3 and 4 in sight?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

If Jomon is the same as it was in dom4, it's actually basically secretly a UW nation that starts on land.

Was just looking at it, and it looks like the UW mage is now 275g as opposed to 550g, so even more so! Although the 2s mages from land are still pretty good as LA mages go.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Loxbourne posted:

So how many thrones is that? Ramc has claimed one, is sitting on a second unclaimed as the effects would mess with his scales, and now we have 3 and 4 in sight?

Correct.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

sullat posted:

Was just looking at it, and it looks like the UW mage is now 275g as opposed to 550g, so even more so! Although the 2s mages from land are still pretty good as LA mages go.

Isn't it like a minidragon with 3 in a couple paths or something?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

wiegieman posted:

Yeah, it's pretty baller. Should have picked them in boom, alas.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

Yeah, it's W3 with a 2 level FAEN random. Also gets a free water gem in combat, so you basically get magic artillery right out of the box.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

sullat posted:

Unfortunately, with Eyes of God up the other players seem to be keenly aware of the situation.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I've played enough X-Com to know that you don't gently caress with Lobstermen. Crab Generals might be even scarier.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Turn 46

Seems busy.

We have Enchantment 7!

And it has something I'd like to cast!

Knock it off!

A dead elf. That's both of those assholes now.

Someone had astral with the saurowraith. Possibly the saurowraith himself.

+1 pearl a turn and some gold to boot. We love pearls here.

+1 earth. Cave diving is way dangerous.

More elves! Heroic thugs, even! No astral on them however.

Phelgra added PD to the 0 PD prov alas.

Our traveling army moves to kick AI Marignon off Phelgra's fort on our way to the throne.

This is what they have it's a pretty AI setup.

The mari Sacred and the bless.

The bless is kind of bad. It is like two half-good ideas bolted together unhelpfully. if you have death explosion you want fire resistance or else killing one unit sets off a hilarious chain reaction.

Like so.

Most don't get close because of paralyze and frozen heart spam.

But some do make it to my wave warriors and several do die finishing them off.

Not that bad though.

Phelgra sends a force to knock Mari off the fort. You thought it would be Marigonon but it was ME! PELAGIA!

Ha ha they don't even explode at all!

flawless!

The wind callers back underwater again.

We retake a province the wind callers had taken.

Phelegra cleans up my land holdings in Jotunverse. Fine.

And Phaecia mops up my TC area land holdings. I don't care we've got a half crustacean band.

C'tis eats westward to consolidate their aqua-borders.

Phaecia clears his cap circle with... his god oh hello

He has the same thug setup and he has a s1 mage riding shotgun. A mind hunt probably wouldnt do anything anyway this deep in his candles with that MR.

Phaecia is feeling confident, but to be honest what else can they do with sailing disabled?

It's like when you get socks for christmas

Be nice to sharks!!!

Oh gently caress offffff

Overview.

Looks like C'tis is still laying siege here.

Gonna brain melt me some elves.

Behold this poor brain melted disease pearl mage.

his brain don't work!

Doomed to spend the rest of his life insane, but that life may be short INDEED as he will soon waste away from the sea plague.

IS THERE NOTHING THAT CAN BE DONE?

THERE MUST BE A BETTER WAY.

THERE IS. For one* easy* payment of 49.99* nature gems all health problems can be solved.

Back on the overland march I bank right to avoid bumping Marignon's stack.

The orders overview. I am mostly just containing and managing the undersea attacks as they cant really extend to anything dangerous or important yet. Some temples might get razed but I can afford to make more when things are more stable and I am making a game winning lunge soon besides.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

What a pity

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Nature has a lot of good globals

also i like getting socks as gifts cause i hate clothes shopping :goonsay:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Yeah, unless they're some hideously colorful abominations, I'd at least put those sock in the drawer and eventually end up wearing them one day. The Thorn Staff... well, it goes into the inventory, I guess...

Ramc
May 4, 2008

what would you even use it for it is 2 handed no less

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's got high defense and was free.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

:blessed: Combo Blesses: You Want Thingamabobs? I got twenty Literally Five :blessed:

Wow. What a concept. Merging different elemental and sorcerous paths to create hybrid blesses. Combine water and air to veil your troops in an aura of mist that provides AoE protection against missiles to all nearby troops. Fire and death to have your sacreds rise as soulless on death with a fiery blast. Or perhaps earth and astral to give your sacreds a crystalline spell-deflecting body. If you think about it for like more than one minute you, with your hundreds of hours of video game experience, could come up with dozens of semi-viable bless ideas to test and refine, discarding the dross and the unworkable and elevating the mechanical good ideas that provide variety and interesting storytelling via gameplay.

That's why you will never work for Illwinter Games.

The hybrid bless system was clearly implemented for some reason I guess but they made five. Literally five cross path blesses. I don't even think this is moddable because certainly someone would have made something by now with tools. Well here we are I guess let's see what we got. It won't take long.

Swamp Survival
For 1 water and 1 nature bless point you sacred troops gain swamp survival passively. They move through swamps easier and are less likely to starve therein. It's a very cornercase bless unless you have some map gimmick going. The only nation that starts in a swamp by default is swamp survival- the nation (C'tis) so I don't know what to tell you. It is also worth noting that this costs 2 bless points effectively while stuff like forest, mountain, etc are 1. VALUE!

Wasteland Survival
I want you to picture the post above but imagine it was wastelands and instead of C'tis it is like Abysia also it costs 1 death and 1 fire bless point. Rather than cultivating the wastelands you will survive in them. Wastelands are often extremely low supply provinces so maybe not starving in one is okay but honestly you would probably be better off with a 1 point bless from fire or death.

Larger
Okay this is more interesting now. For 4 earth and 3 nature bless points you can get huge. +1 size, +30% hp,+3 strength, -1 defense, and +2 map move. Large has some advantages but also some drawbacks which is always unfortunate for a bless. The bonus hp and strength are of course good, but its hard to pair it with a regen bless because you would need to have n10 which is spendy as heck. A percentage health bonus works best with already hardy troops. Map move is nice of course too. Being bigger means you fit fewer to a square though and it is easier to focus fire you down. Where is the shrink bless??? It's okay for a gimmick idea. I don't hate it because it is inherently funny, it's just that it is usually competing with a better option for me (it is competing with Regen/Fire-Shock Resist). As a final size note if your god or sacred are already size 6 it does nothing. (As a note, until a recent patch it used to be more expensive and also incarnate. The mental image of your troops growing or shrinking because your god awoke/died is pretty funny)

Spirit Sight
This one is more interesting. For 1 astral and 1 death point all your units get spirit sight which allows them to see invisible enemies (there are a handful) and see in the dark. Spirit sight is still corner case but it isn't terrible. If an invisible unit is sneaking around a province without spirit sight you'd have no chance to patrol it out. This is one of those things that is almost never important but the one time you need to do it it might be REALLY IMPORTANT. More common, it lets you ignore penalties from fighting in caves or in darkness per the spell. These things are more likely to come up. If you have points to spare it isn't terrible, but also check that your sacreds don't already have spirit sight or dark vision because it happens more often that I'd expect. If you have death access you can cast Darkness late game and not really worry about it annoying your sacred troops so there is that!

Solar Weapons
Ah, solar weapons. For 3 astral and 1 fire bless point you get a weapon bless. Solar weapons grant your strikes (but not natural ranged weapons like fire breath, mind blast yada yada you know the drill by now) that deals 3 AP damage. Against the undead and demons it deals triple damage.... 9 AP. Fire weapons deal 6 AP, frost weapons are like 8 AP so for the most part your weapon bless bonus damage is a little sub par but I guess on the other hand some bonus damage is better than none. The undead and demon part probably won't come up as much as you might like or if it does your 9 bonus damage might not go as far as you like because the most common manifestation of undead might is like an endless stream of summoned skeletons which requires a more sideways solution. With demons well who knows but it is probably bad loving news because it means someone is going wild with blood now. It isn't expensive but it isn't great.

---

So... that's it. Those are the blesses. The incredible powers granted to you, the revered one by a being that styles itself a god. The bless system is, in my opinion, probably the heart of Dominions and increased customization should only increase it's appeal. But I don't know- it feels like between the incarnate system, god costs and the oddly limited feeling options that the potential has yet to be realized. The game is still being patched and played with and there are mythical beta testers out there pouring their ideas, good and bad, into the ear of the like two guys responsible for this game so perhaps a still more glorious dawn awaits the bless system. Or maybe poison weapons will be increased to N6 and be made incarnate.

That's Dominions!

Ramc fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 10, 2019

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

Ramc posted:

:blessed: Combo Blesses: You Want Thingamabobs? I got twenty Literally Five :blessed:

Wow. What a concept. Merging different elemental and sorcerous paths to create hybrid blesses. Combine water and air to veil your troops in an aura of mist that provides AoE protection against missiles to all nearby troops. Fire and death to have your sacreds rise as soulless on death with a fiery blast. Or perhaps earth and astral to give your sacreds a crystalline spell-deflecting body. If you think about it for like more than one minute you, with your hundreds of hours of video game experience, could come up with dozens of semi-viable bless ideas to test and refine, discarding the dross and the unworkable and elevating the mechanical good ideas that provide variety and interesting storytelling via gameplay.

That's why you will never work for Illwinter Games.

The hybrid bless system was clearly implemented for some reason I guess but they made five. Literally five cross path blesses. I don't even think this is moddable because certainly someone would have made something by now with tools. Well here we are I guess let's see what we got. It won't take long.

Swamp Survival
For 1 water and 1 nature bless point you sacred troops gain swamp survival passively. They move through swamps easier and are less likely to starve therein. It's a very cornercase bless unless you have some map gimmick going. The only nation that starts in a swamp by default is swamp survival- the nation (C'tis) so I don't know what to tell you. It is also worth noting that this costs 2 bless points effectively while stuff like forest, mountain, etc are 1. VALUE!

Wasteland Survival
I want you to picture the post above but imagine it was wastelands and instead of C'tis it is like Abysia also it costs 1 death and 1 fire bless point. Rather than cultivating the wastelands you will survive in them. Wastelands are often extremely low supply provinces so maybe not starving in one is okay but honestly you would probably be better off with a 1 point bless from fire or death.

Larger
Okay this is more interesting now. For 4 earth and 3 nature bless points you can get huge. +1 size, +30% hp,+3 strength, -1 defense, and +2 map move. Large has some advantages but also some drawbacks which is always unfortunate for a bless. The bonus hp and strength are of course good, but its hard to pair it with a regen bless because you would need to have n10 which is spendy as heck. A percentage health bonus works best with already hardy troops. Map move is nice of course too. Being bigger means you fit fewer to a square though and it is easier to focus fire you down. Where is the shrink bless??? It's okay for a gimmick idea. I don't hate it because it is inherently funny, it's just that it is usually competing with a better option for me (it is competing with Regen/Fire-Shock Resist). As a final size note if your god or sacred are already size 6 it does nothing. (As a note, until a recent patch it used to be more expensive and also incarnate. The mental image of your troops growing or shrinking because your god awoke/died is pretty funny)

Spirit Sight
This one is more interesting. For 1 astral and 1 death point all your units get spirit sight which allows them to see invisible enemies (there are a handful) and see in the dark. Spirit sight is still corner case but it isn't terrible. If an invisible unit is sneaking around a province without spirit sight you'd have no chance to patrol it out. This is one of those things that is almost never important but the one time you need to do it it might be REALLY IMPORTANT. More common, it lets you ignore penalties from fighting in caves or in darkness per the spell. These things are more likely to come up. If you have points to spare it isn't terrible, but also check that your sacreds don't already have spirit sight or dark vision because it happens more often that I'd expect. If you have death access you can cast Darkness late game and not really worry about it annoying your sacred troops so there is that!

Solar Weapons
Ah, solar weapons. For 3 astral and 1 fire bless point you get a weapon bless. Solar weapons grant your strikes (but not natural ranged weapons like fire breath, mind blast yada yada you know the drill by now) that deals 3 AP damage. Against the undead and demons it deals triple damage.... 9 AP. Fire weapons deal 6 AP, frost weapons are like 8 AP so for the most part your weapon bless bonus damage is a little sub par but I guess on the other hand some bonus damage is better than none. The undead and demon part probably won't come up as much as you might like or if it does your 9 bonus damage might not go as far as you like because the most common manifestation of undead might is like an endless stream of summoned skeletons which requires a more sideways solution. With demons well who knows but it is probably bad loving news because it means someone is going wild with blood now. It isn't expensive but it isn't great.

---

So... that's it. Those are the blesses. The incredible powers granted to you, the revered one by a being that styles itself a god. The bless system is, in my opinion, probably the heart of Dominions and increased customization should only increase it's appeal. But I don't know- it feels like between the incarnate system, god costs and the oddly limited feeling options that the potential has yet to be realized. The game is still being patched and played with and there are mythical beta testers out there pouring their ideas, good and bad, into the ear of the like two guys responsible for this game so perhaps a still more glorious dawn awaits the bless system. Or maybe poison weapons will be increased to N6 and be made incarnate.

That's Dominions!

Swamps also have an encumbrance penalty which swamp survival protects you from, and there is the battlefield spell quagmire which turns the battlefield into a swamp giving encumbrance penalty, so that *can* be relevant, but still bad.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Spirit Sight is for saying "screw you" to the jerk that casts Utterdark. Alternatively, you can be that jerk yourself, and cast it from a totally unexpected nation.

Also for shanking someone who takes a Titan of the Underworld and tries to park him on your cap to go assassinating.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the bad part of utterdark is when you lose 80% of your gold income , spirit sight doesnt help farmers!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

violent sex idiot posted:

the bad part of utterdark is when you lose 80% of your gold income , spirit sight doesnt help farmers!

Maybe if you revered your farmers as sacred and gave generous subsidies to agribusiness!!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
can a nation truly be divine if it does not respect the workers that form it

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I look larger(with quickness) on ma agartha whose statues cannot benefit from regeneration. I'm not really convinced by it, but it is funny to give my size 5 thugs trample boots.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I agree that the idea of giants towering over your enemies' soldiers suddenly, because your God took a lucky hit from an enemy mage or something, going 'shwoooooop' and suddenly shrinking until they're Hobbit-sized and struggling to lift their massive weaponry before those soldiers stop laughing and start stabbing is, indeed, loving hilarious

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I think there should be mixed blesses with more than two components, too.

Like for example, a mixed fire-air-earth bless which causes Earth, Wind and Fire songs to play whenever your sacreds are blessed, giving them +20 morale and a huge Awe-effect causing enemy units to just give up life

(Hire me, Illwinter!)

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Turn 47

Feeling attacked here.

Thaumaturgy 6 home of Enslave Mind.

let the healing begin

Gift of Health (GoH) grants bonus HP to all my living units in my candles. Roughly +10% per candle. Also it grants recuperation-like healing checks (Except they work for old units) every turn with the chance scaling with candles I assume. It's really really good.

Also all mind hunts fail.

A new prophet. The prophet of ending turns.

Phaecia pings a throne. Everyone there is crawling with curses and horror marks so it is probably--

This throne here. Good to know. It's real powerful if you have blood access.

Saurowraith terrorism continues.

We take back from Eriu. Stupid elves!

Phelegra takes back the province left in the wake of our exodus using this ok thug.

OK exodus party time WHO STANDS IN OUR WAY??

lol ok

RIP. onward to the SEA!

Ulm attacks the Jotunheim cap now held by phlegra with this thug here.

This is sort of a lot of dudes for a guy with no regen to handle though.

The dude blows past the troops to attack the back line but...

He goes for the EXTREME back line slave mages while the real wizard and the commander sit a bit more center and the other troops are able to catch up.

It's not a good scene and he is blinded by the wizard. It's a fire spell!

Sun Tzu has some vague but interesting things to say about this.

They're just marbles!!!

:sigh:

I mean its just a scout. He's doing his best!

Overview.

WE ARE GOING FOR IT

GoH is up too so check this out.

Love that bonus hp!

The disease is cured!

I am gonna ping nazca here.

Going back, I see that this saurowraith has a load bearing global and no astral so...

I am gonna try to fry him. his MR is pretty good though.

A lot of my forces are in a holding pattern as I approach the thrones. Will we secure throne 3 next turn???

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Those Saurowraiths seem pretty beefy in general. Does it take a lot of work to thug them out or are they badasses right out of the box?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't quite understand why you would send your global caster out as a thug, especially against an enemy who can make liberal use of mind hunts.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Torrannor posted:

I don't quite understand why you would send your global caster out as a thug, especially against an enemy who can make liberal use of mind hunts.
"Oh my god, there is so much stuff to keep track of and I-- wait, poo poo, my global caster's in the field?"

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Torrannor posted:

Didn't Ramc say that the patch that made soul slay permadeath happened mid-game ? Before that, they were perfectly safe.
Of course the *second one* is less forgivable :)

Ramc
May 4, 2008

frankenfreak posted:

"Oh my god, there is so much stuff to keep track of and I-- wait, poo poo, my global caster's in the field?"

I am fairly sure this is what happened actually.

PurpleXVI posted:

Those Saurowraiths seem pretty beefy in general. Does it take a lot of work to thug them out or are they badasses right out of the box?

It doesn't take a lot. Ethereal with good protection and defense along with the paths to self buff very effectively? You barely need to equip them versus chaff (but it helps).

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Wraith lords are a common thug chassis because they're great at it. Ethereal anything will walk all over PD, especially if they have fear+8. The problem is that they take Conjuration 7 and 40 gems.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
they can all make themself quick and have regen so they are pretty badass with no items

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Is it worth it to make cloaks of invulnerability for my main army casters? Im going up against bird people and want some decent protection. I can crank them out easy enough with my master smiths sitting on a forge site with whatever the global is (Im forgotting now) that helps with item forging. Cost isn't really an issue.