Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I literally just replayed FF7 and I still don't understand what voice is warning Cloud about the reactor in the very beginning. Every time I start that game I misremember the story and assume it's Zack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The devs don't remember poo poo either, strap the gently caress in

Barudak
May 7, 2007

romanowski posted:

I literally just replayed FF7 and I still don't understand what voice is warning Cloud about the reactor in the very beginning. Every time I start that game I misremember the story and assume it's Zack

Theyre all Jenova

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

romanowski posted:

It's not actually a line of dialogue from elsewhere in the game even in the Japanese version. Nobody seems entirely sure if it's supposed to be Cloud remembering a line that was cut or inner cloud saying something

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

This is Unreal Engine, they used their custom engine once or twice and discarded it

hey man i've built 1.75 custom engines in mono and i doubt i'm ever gonna use the first one again. obsolescence and incompatibility with future projects are just things that happen, it's the natural order of the life cycle of a software.

just, it probably shouldn't take you a decade paired with eight or nine figures to develop

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ulio posted:

That is pretty much textbook Square. Spend years and millions to develop a engine, hype it up with some cool trailer give it a cool name then use it for 1 game.

An earlier version got forked to be used for ARR and it'll be used for whatever the "AAA Project" they dropped the XV DLC to focus on, so that puts it only two releases away from the number of times Crystal Tools was used, I guess.

e: actually Monster of the Deep probably uses Luminous and it's a separate release, technically

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

It's not actually a line of dialogue from elsewhere in the game even in the Japanese version. Nobody seems entirely sure if it's supposed to be Cloud remembering a line that was cut or inner cloud saying something

It's a good bit of foreshadowing for Mako being derived from spirit energy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

yeah but doesn't barret explain that while you're riding in the elevator, some screens before cloud's whiteout

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I think it's supposed to be Sephiroth remarking on the nibelhiem reactor before he goes crazy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Or just in general. Its what Sephiroth believed.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I enjoyed FFXV so this FF7R looks like a really good mod for it!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
when will SE license the Fox Engine from Konami

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i have less than zero confidence in the script for ffvii remake

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I want it to be good, but if it ever comes out, I can already see it becoming one of those “most legendarily awful gaming industry blunders” that will be talked about for years following.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Augus posted:

so thanks to integer overflow, you have 65,535% confidence?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

when will SE license the Fox Engine from Konami
And then hire Kojima...

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
They should hire Yoko Taro, honestly.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Augus posted:

I: how did the remake of this beloved, universally-acclaimed game turn out so bad
N: well... for some reason, i couldn't stop thinking about all the different ways i'd like to kill cloud strife. i spent fifteen years dreaming of all the ways he could die

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 10, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
nojima is senile and nomura is nomura

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Cleretic posted:

A friend of mine pointed out that video includes a scene that isn't in the original game at all. Cloud meeting Sephiroth on some sort of collapsing highway, which isn't a match for any of Sephiroth's appearances. Certainly not his first one, which is in a cargo hold.

To me, that reads as them cramming Sephiroth into the Sector drop, I can't think of anywhere else that would fit. So, yeah, so much for this even being faithful to the story.

They already said they were going to be significantly expanding on the story (largely to try and justify it being an episodic thing).

Trailer looks dope, but I loved 7 and I am basically on board for virtually anything they do in that universe. But god help me of shelke or whatever her name is from Dirge shows up I'm going to have a good tantrum.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
How will Nomura shove Verum Rex into FFVII?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

JesusSinfulHands posted:

How will Nomura shove Verum Rex into FFVII?

Just replace the Loveless poster.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
That FFXV ending. drat you SE for stirring up my allergies like that. I could see it falling flat if you didn't like the four main characters and you didn't spend a bunch of time road tripping and side questing and snapping photos with your bros but I did all that and it hit pretty hard, dang.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFXV is really interesting because chapter 3-15 is a goddamn complete mess and then it somehow still sticks its landing.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Barudak posted:

FFXV is really interesting because chapter 3-15 is a goddamn complete mess and then it somehow still sticks its landing.

Yeah. I played it at launch without doing any of the dlc and the ending retroactively made me feel a lot better about the plot in general, even if it was basically nonsense.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The fact that they keep showing only the first 20 minutes of the game makes me worried that the entire thing will be only Midgar.

Unless they have been holding a lot back, or unless they plan on leaving 90% of the original game on the floor, I don't see how they can possibly ever finish the entire story. They can't spend a decade releasing FF7 episodes.

The production looks undeniably great but I think it was a huge mistake to go for this kind of cutting edge graphical quality and scope. The fact that the original game was made in like 15 months while Squaresoft was simultaneously figuring out how to make 3D game in any capacity is a really damning indictment of AAA development. I wonder about an alternate universe where FF7 got remade ten years ago on a sane budget by using fixed camera angle presentation like the original, with a more stylized visual approach that hewed closer to the game's original anime style designs-- rather than photorealism and open 3D environments.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 10, 2019

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

ZiegeDame posted:

By midway through disc 3 Vivi has already come to terms with his mortality, the main villain for the first half of the game is loving dead, and every major city on the starting continent has been destroyed to some degree and you didn't feel like anything significant had happened?

The queen just chased you from town to town forever, you found out vivi is some sort of artificial test tube person, then some male stripper guy shows up and oops the queen is dead. Welcome to disc three. It was disc three when I realized I'd been playing for hours and didn't care about anything that was happening.

The White Dragon posted:

there's an npc in lindblum who asks you if you're enjoying yourself

if you tell her no, she tells you to go play a different game you big baby

I never found that NPC, but that's exactly what I did.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The characters relationships are so well realized that it doesn't matter. It forces the narrative to be about how the group responds to pressures from within and without rather than primarily being concerned about the plot.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

HD DAD posted:

I want it to be good, but if it ever comes out, I can already see it becoming one of those “most legendarily awful gaming industry blunders” that will be talked about for years following.

And if it doesn't come out it will definitely be one of those stories. I don't see them sticking the landing, so it's a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' situation for them.

Scoss posted:

The fact that they keep showing only the first 20 minutes of the game makes me worried that the entire thing will be only Midgar.

Unless they have been holding a lot back, or unless they plan on leaving 90% of the original game on the floor, I don't see how they can possibly ever finish the entire story. They can't spend a decade releasing FF7 episodes.

The production looks undeniably great but I think it was a huge mistake to go for this kind of cutting edge graphical quality and scope. The fact that the original game was made in like 15 months while Squaresoft was simultaneously figuring out how to make 3D game in any capacity is a really damning indictment of AAA development. I wonder about an alternate universe where FF7 got remade ten years ago on a sane budget by using fixed camera angle presentation like the original, with a more stylized visual approach that hewed closer to the game's original anime style designs-- rather than photorealism and open 3D environments.

I've been saying for a lot of this, but VII's structure is perhaps one of the worst you can get for an episodic game, because the biggest possible part of the game in development load is right at the start. Midgar's easily the most arduous part of the game as a developer, because you've got a shitload of complex geometry, texture work, writing and scripting, a lot going on that you have to make run smoothly, and they have to do that first, on top of having to make the actual core gameplay work.

Ideally when making a big episodic game, you want the first episode to be solid enough to whet people's appetite, without being such a spectacle that you have to spend an age getting it right before you can release anything. VII doesn't have that at all; in fact, basically no 3D Final Fantasies have that, outside of the MMOs and XV. An episodic game would want a start like I, III, IV or V, something that can focus on getting the fundamentals right without making anything too insane or specific.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I just hope the script holds the same esteemed quality i expect from the world of final fantasy 7, like its represented in advent children.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

At least midgar actually exists in concept, they'll have to create & design most of the rest of the world from scratch since a world map probs won't cut it with the style they are going for.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I still need to play FFXV myself but it seems to me that the campfire scene is the only really great part of the ending. Nobody contradicted me earlier when I said who the gently caress cares about Noct and Lunafreya and obviously that was a prominent part of the ending.

And I know it's been discussed to death but why are JRPG companies ashamed of turn-based combat? FFXV was a fine experiment but FFVII should be a more traditional JRPG. It's also not just FF going this action-y rout.there's also the Xenoblade games which I've largely avoided because they adopted this new battle system instead of traditional JRPG combat like Gears and Saga had.

And yet, while they make FFVII have action gameplay, they are re-releasing FFX on every system that can support it.Almost twenty years later and FFX still brings in sales and ya know why? It's combat was great in 2001 and it's still the best now.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 10, 2019

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

it's because tetsuya nomura is like me in that he makes his endings first

the landing sticks because it's the only thing he 100% knew for sure from day one how he wanted versus 13 to end

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I never found that NPC, but that's exactly what I did.

to be fair she only appears in a really extremely tiny event window. but if you can find her it's funny as hell'

NikkolasKing posted:

I still need to play FFXV myself but it seems to me that the campfire scene is the only really great part of the ending. Nobody contradicted me earlier when I said who the gently caress cares about Noct and Lunafreya and obviously that was a prominent part of the ending.

i care about noct and lunafreya. i care about making noct send "yeah whatever" responses to her heartfelt letters

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 10, 2019

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

DrNutt posted:

That FFXV ending. drat you SE for stirring up my allergies like that. I could see it falling flat if you didn't like the four main characters and you didn't spend a bunch of time road tripping and side questing and snapping photos with your bros but I did all that and it hit pretty hard, dang.

i hated every main character and that campfire cutscene was still really effective on its own, though me and my buds were pretty confused as to why it was placed at the very end instead of in its chronological spot.

everything about the ending that wasn't the campfire scene was confusing, rear end, or both though (except for noct in his final moments holding onto a picture of himself with a ramen cup for a head making a sexual "come hither" pose amongst the backdrop of a grocery store shelf, that was loving funny and i love the photography mechanic)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Avalerion posted:

At least midgar actually exists in concept, they'll have to create & design most of the rest of the world from scratch since a world map probs won't cut it with the style they are going for.
They will almost certainly recycle assets from FFXV for generic overworld locations. I think the main set pieces they'd have to make that they couldn't use by cribbing from FFXV would be... let's see... The Gold Saucer, the City of the Ancients, and Cosmo Canyon. Plus some miscellaneous things like the sunken ship, Cid's rocket, etc. Junon technically but they can probably crib a lot from Midgar.

e: Wutai?

Nessus fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 10, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NikkolasKing posted:

And I know it's been discussed to death but why are JRPG companies ashamed of turn-based combat? FFXV was a fine experiment but FFVII should be a more traditional JRPG. It's also not just FF going this action-y rout.there's also the Xenoblade games which I've largely avoided because they adopted this new battle system instead of traditional JRPG combat like Gears and Saga had.

And yet, while they make FFVII have action gameplay, they are re-releasing FFX on every system that can support it.Almost twenty years later and FFX still brings in sales and ya know why? It's combat was great in 2001 and it's still the best now.

Why? It sounds like you just don't like fast paced games rather than arguing why ATB is good or better than action rpgs.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

NikkolasKing posted:

Honestly, I think it's only the lead teams for S-E and MonolithSoft. Remember that Square-Enix has also in the last couple years produced a new turn-based Dragon Quest, Octopath Traveler, are making a new Bravely game somewhere in the bowels of their company, and did an updated re-release of World of Final Fantasy, all of which are turn-based. Atlus is still beating the turn-based banner of Persona and Shin Megami Tensei. Nintendo now own Monolith but sure haven't dialed back from making Pokemon the most patient game in the universe.

The standard-bearer franchise for JRPGs outside Japan has apparently decided that turn-based is lame as hell, but not even the rest of their company agrees. Including the standard-bearer franchise for JRPGs inside Japan.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
FFVII isn't an action rpg because it's the future. It's an action RPG because those are the only games nomura directs. He was very adamant about how he shouldn't direct an ff7 remake because he didn't see ff7 as his project. I knew from the moment he was announced as director what kind of game it would be.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

to be fair she only appears in a really extremely tiny event window. but if you can find her it's funny as hell'

I think the biggest failing of 9 is everything happens in too small of a window. They threw in a load of really obscure stuff to sell a not actually useful strategy guide with. Theres some stuff you only find by random backtracking that sometimes have a single screen window. Somebody managed to find something new in 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Onmi posted:

FFVII isn't an action rpg because it's the future. It's an action RPG because those are the only games nomura directs. He was very adamant about how he shouldn't direct an ff7 remake because he didn't see ff7 as his project. I knew from the moment he was announced as director what kind of game it would be.

It's pretty much this. Turn-based RPGs still sell, but Nomura has been adamant about action-based games and how he dislikes turn-based games.

If this was Persona 6 or a new Pokemon game, he would still direct them as an action game.