Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

booksnake posted:

Detective Pikablu 2021.

This post just made me realize that a sequel can actually be titled Detective Pikachu 2: Electric Boogaloo and be appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

MisterBibs posted:

The only real beef I had with the movie (and it wasn't a beef, more like a uh-what thing) is thinking Man, I'm pretty sure I'd recognize my dad's voice, even if it's in a cute electric rat. Otherwise, I dug it.

I think I get it.

He hasn't seen his dad in like, ten years, and as far as he knows his dad is dead, and he's dealing with the trauma of a talking Pikachu. I think it makes sense that he wouldn't realize it's his dad's voice.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
no mawiles 2/10 film

No I won't put that in spoilers because people need to know :colbert:

I really enjoyed it. The third act is a bit too cartoony and I agree that the earthquake was a bit long, but everything else was great. It felt like Pokemon, they looked fantastic, and I was 100% there for the world given to us. Having Ryan at the end was a nice touch, and I want more.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just saw the movie. I have never played a Pokémon or watched a Pokémon. I didn’t understand 90% of what was going on. I really did not expect Anime Get Out

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

out of the way old man we are the future

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
One nitpick that stuck in my head is that there's a character who has the same name as a moderately prominent character in the games/anime, and the reporter girlfriend puts particular emphasis on saying that character's name. Since it's obviously not the same character, I wish they'd used a different name there.

It's just one of those things that sticks with me irrationally I guess.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
MY BOY TORTERRA

This movie is so...it feels strange to call it "smart," except that it absolutely is smart, except that the only thing it's smart about is how to make a bizarrely-effective life-action Pokemon film. I feel like if I asked this film to do anything other than what was in its immediate wheelhouse it would just sputter embarrassingly and break down while steaming from the vents...but ask it for satisfyingly fun scenes of Pokemon lore, memes, and trivia represented in a for-face-value live-action Pokemon universe and it just delivers the goods like "Please, gimme a challenge next."

There were definitely moments where it was brazenly manipulating my nostalgia but I was, like, weirdly impressed that it knew how to manipulate my nostalgia in that way so I didn't actually mind it. I was proud of this dumb film because it managed to be more clever about it than "Hey look! It's your favorite Pokemon in a scene!"

Looking forward to the Detective Pikachu Cinematic Universe

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Psyduck blasts away the pursuing Greninja with a psychic shockwave despite Greninja being a dark type and thus immune to psychic type attacks.

Immersion ruined. 0/10. Absolute garbage

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I really liked the film. Blended some of my favorite elements of noir, coming of age, and sci-fi seamlessly. Thought the effects were great except for like two shots(and the ground rolling up shot that didn't look right to me I'm guessing probably looked good in 3d).

I loved Lucy and her over the top dame reporter schtick. Reminded me appropriately of 1930s noir serials.

Bad guy wanting to put his brain in Mewtwo's body was very Frankenstein and Frankenstein is basically my favorite thing

I really do not understand people saying it was "predictable" or "nonsensical"(or sometimes both which seems contradictory). It was easy to follow and a standard noir plot of following threads from A to B with a rollout of all the why's of it in the climax. Obviously anyone with half a brain knows who the villain is the second you see him and knows where the dad is, but I just don't get that being a flaw. It's well executed and flows with good pacing, I don't need a movie to trick me(though ditto actually did)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Psyduck blasts away the pursuing Greninja with a psychic shockwave despite Greninja being a dark type and thus immune to psychic type attacks.

Immersion ruined. 0/10. Absolute garbage

It must have used the Normal Type Egg Move Secret Power, and since Payduck began charging the move indoors its side effect would be paralysis.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
I think this movie has one thing going for it that nobody can deny

an eventual gif of that whos that Pokemon dropshadow screen resolving into Bill Nighy

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I really liked the film. Blended some of my favorite elements of noir, coming of age, and sci-fi seamlessly. Thought the effects were great except for like two shots(and the ground rolling up shot that didn't look right to me I'm guessing probably looked good in 3d).

I loved Lucy and her over the top dame reporter schtick. Reminded me appropriately of 1930s noir serials.

Bad guy wanting to put his brain in Mewtwo's body was very Frankenstein and Frankenstein is basically my favorite thing

I really do not understand people saying it was "predictable" or "nonsensical"(or sometimes both which seems contradictory). It was easy to follow and a standard noir plot of following threads from A to B with a rollout of all the why's of it in the climax. Obviously anyone with half a brain knows who the villain is the second you see him and knows where the dad is, but I just don't get that being a flaw. It's well executed and flows with good pacing, I don't need a movie to trick me(though ditto actually did)

I just got back from seeing it and I also really enjoyed it. The effects were fantastic - Bulbasaur are way more adorable than they had any right to be for a start. I really want to see them do a traditional pokemon journey film in this style.

I'm fairly sure there were pokemon in the film that didn't appear in the trailers My main man Totodile showed up in a picture for a start, i'm sure there were a bunch of others as well.

And i've got to agree with you on the plot as well - I was surprised by most of what happened Even if all the major locations were in the trailer they played out in a different order I would have guessed The only thing i'd say wasn't a surprise is the very ending, because of course that happened.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Saw it, really liked it, but if you don't have at least some peripheral knowledge of Pokémon some parts won't make a lot of sense. And having seen the film, it now it makes more sense to me why they cast Ryan Reynolds instead of the internet fan casting of Danny Devito.

Edit: also there was a kid shouting his reactions out loud in the theater and when the first bulbasaur appeared on screen he shouted "WOW what is THAT?"

Argue fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 10, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Haha imagine that ending with loving Danny Devito

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Is mewtwo just some kind of God-level Pokémon? I can't imagine that body merging is a skill that a Pokémon can just learn.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Solid movie. The production design was stellar and the Pokemon effects were of course very good. I disagree with an earlier poster who said that all the Pokemon were shown in the trailers. Maybe I just didn't notice them, but there were definitely some great models in incidental shots. I'd estimate there were about 60 individual pokemon shown in the movie, and that was way more than I was expected. That being said, they definitely tried to reuse models as much as possible. It's particularly obvious in the climax, where it seems like half the trainers in Rime City have Sneasels.

It does have the following line of dialogue in it, though "Humanity is evil, but you have shown me that not all humans are bad." A far cry from Mewtwo's previous cinematic appearance.

Argue posted:

Saw it, really liked it, but if you don't have at least some peripheral knowledge of Pokémon some parts won't make a lot of sense. And having seen the film, it now it makes more sense to me why they cast Ryan Reynolds instead of the internet fan casting of Danny Devito.

Edit: also there was a kid shouting his reactions out loud in the theater and when the first bulbasaur appeared on screen he shouted "WOW what is THAT?"

Imagine trying to pretend that Devito's profile, even from the back, wasn't instantly recognizable.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is mewtwo just some kind of God-level Pokémon? I can't imagine that body merging is a skill that a Pokémon can just learn.

Kind of since he's a clone of an actual god like Pokemon (they've had more actual-god like Pokemon over the years but Mew I think is more special because he was the first truely legendary Pokemon and he can also learn any move in the game)

I just got back from it. It was fuckin' great. However I can't imagine what you would get out of that movie if you aren't a Pokemon fan. It makes a ton of sense that the movie isn't getting glowing reviews everywhere. It's super fanservicy. But boy do that deliver on that fanservice. One big example of that is Ditto because if you don't know what that Pokemon's gimmick is going in, that entire thing is gonna seem very :wtf: Same with Mewtwo talking telepathically, because he's the only Pokemon in the movie that can do something like that, outside of Pikachu being able to talk to the main character. If you're unfamiliar with Mewtwo going in, it's going to seem really weird that this Pokemon can talk

There's definitely Pokemon the trailer didn't show, though not many. I don't remember the trailers showing Ditto. Which by the way the way Ditto is handled in this movie with the story is loving clever. I thought Torterra segment was loving cool as hell though I do agree it maybe went on a little too long. It was very satisfying seeing the giant ones. I LOVED the entire segment at the battle arena. I loved the Loudred's gimmick of beatboxing. Charizard was a joy to watch move around and emote the entire time, and the Gyrados segment was so obviously a thing they put in because they just really wanted to have Magikarp evolve into a Gyarados on screen. Plus the Gengar vs Blastoise fight. It was awesome. That whole segment was awesome.

It's funny that some people are upset at the trailers for spoiling Mewtwo because you see Mewtwo about one or two minutes into the movie. I'm pretty sure he's literally the first Pokemon you see. I'm actually pretty shocked that we didn't see Mew at any point. I would imagine the animators would be chomping at the bit to bring that one to life.

My one major complaint I guess is that I feel like there wasn't ENOUGH Pokemon variety. There's a lot of shots where you'll see just a fuckin ton of Pokemon but there will be a lot of the SAME Pokemon. The one forest segment there's really only Bulbasaurs and Morelulls, when they really could've had more variety. Likewise, there's a segment near the end where there's a TON of Sneasels and they could've stood to replace a few of them with other Pokemon. Psyduck is a major character in the movie though, and Psyduck being my favorite, that was a good choice. Good job Detective Pikachu producers :discourse:

The trailers beforehand tried to curse my experience though. There were 4 trailers. One of them was for a movie that I can't imagine any kid watching would give any kind of a poo poo about called The Sun Is Also a Star. It looked loving boring as hell and I'm an adult (seeing a Pokemon movie). One was for Godzilla which was rad. But the other two trailers were: Sonic and Aladdin. Trying to put a pox on my movie having those two headline the previews. :barf:

edit: Also after all these years, Mewtwo is still a fuckin' cool Pokemon.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 10, 2019

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

pospysyl posted:

That being said, they definitely tried to reuse models as much as possible. It's particularly obvious in the climax, where it seems like half the trainers in Rime City have Sneasels.
We were usually very careful to make sure the crowd shots had a wide variety Pokemon without too much repetition, but there's a reason for all the Sneasels.
Each parade balloon was held by a group of people dressed to look like the balloon, and needed pokemon to match. Sometimes it worked well, like all the Blastoise balloon holders having Squirtles, but sometimes we had to get "close enough", like giving Sneasels to the people holding the Lugia balloon because they were both blue.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh I thought The Sun is Also a Star looked like a great little romance drama starring two beautiful young people. My crowd seemed interested though half my crowd was Korean and you don't get many American films with a Korean Male romantic lead

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
We had a dog's journey which made my gf cry literally the entire trailer so thanks whoever the gently caress put that right before detective pikachu

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

We had a dog's journey which made my gf cry literally the entire trailer so thanks whoever the gently caress put that right before detective pikachu

Fuckin dead dog movies.

That movie also looked disgusting in its politics, like a mother doesnt have a right to live away from her parents or go on dates, and her parents are inherently owed time with her daughter and its acceptable to drop in from states away unannounced. Looks like it was written in consultation with focus on the family.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Dennis Quaid and his harpy wife definitely seem like the type to sue for grandparents rights but they settled for immortal reincarnating dog and stalking instead

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Sun is Also a Star looks creepy as gently caress.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah the "You don't want to date me? I will make you fall in love with me in one hour" bit is a little problematic

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I think this was a twitch plays pokemon nod?

When they first meet Howard he has an Eevee on his desk that he evolves in to Flareon, the false prophet. Howard later turns out to be the bad guy, and he has statues of Arceus/Palkia/Dialga behind his desk, who are essentially the Gods of the pokemon world, making him look like some kind of religious figure sitting at an altar.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Looks like it was written in consultation with focus on the family.

Walden Media is a conservative-Christian studio that just somehow manages to hide it enough to work with secular studios on stuff

it's not an accident that they made fuckin' Narnia and haven't made anything with a rating over PG-13 (and only very rarely that)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Reik posted:

I think this was a twitch plays pokemon nod?

When they first meet Howard he has an Eevee on his desk that he evolves in to Flareon, the false prophet. Howard later turns out to be the bad guy, and he has statues of Arceus/Palkia/Dialga behind his desk, who are essentially the Gods of the pokemon world, making him look like some kind of religious figure sitting at an altar.

Crazy fact apparently Bill Nighy took those loving statues home

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Robot Style posted:

We were usually very careful to make sure the crowd shots had a wide variety Pokemon without too much repetition, but there's a reason for all the Sneasels.
Each parade balloon was held by a group of people dressed to look like the balloon, and needed pokemon to match. Sometimes it worked well, like all the Blastoise balloon holders having Squirtles, but sometimes we had to get "close enough", like giving Sneasels to the people holding the Lugia balloon because they were both blue.

I was super impressed with the diversity of the Pokemon in the early crowd shots! I'm sure my friends and family will want to watch it soon, and I'm probably going to go with them to try to pick out some more cameos.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Got back from it a couple of hours ago and it was pretty much everything I'd hoped for. I played the 3DS game last summer and ever since they announced the movie and that Deadpool would voice DP I knew I needed to see it.
I especially appreciate that they now gave the baddies a proper reason for making PCP for Pokemon. It was stupid as hell in the game. Rupert Murdoch wants to drug the pokemon during the parade so they'll rampage and that'll get his station good ratings.

Also, someone dressed in a Pikachu costume and some of the other people working at the cinema were handing out packs of cards so that was cool.

Shittiest moment was probably when some X-Men trailer came on and it used the wrong type of 3D so it was just a blurry mess for everyone. They ended up cutting it before it ended.

Lodin fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 10, 2019

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
Loved the movie, but my only question was why didn't Clifford merge his body with Mewtwo as soon as he took control?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

How could you not? They would look amazing in a garden.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

tentawesome posted:

Loved the movie, but my only question was why didn't Clifford merge his body with Mewtwo as soon as he took control?

Not sure if he could since it only works on pokemon in a crazed state. If he puts himself in a crazed state I don't know how he would then control his power. Though he had to put Mewtwo in a crazed state to seize control, he had to use that controller to get in because he can't force a crazed mewtwo to merge himself, and as a sane mewtwo he can't merge himself.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, just remembered one thing the movie is missing. In the game, any time DP meets a cute girl he becomes a complete horndog and starts flirting with them wildly. It's a running joke that you have that stupid pikachu in his stupid hat going "pika pika pii" in a deep sexy voice and the women not getting it and Tim getting embarrassed. Of all the things they didn't keep.
Also, the game has a scene were DP meets Ash's Pikachu and they have a long conversation were DP starts quoting the song and it's funny as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U72cT8Wn31Q

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Yeah. Bill Nighy being a huge loving Pokenerd after making the film is maybe the best thing from it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The one thing I will ding the movie for is playing the Evil Crip trope completely straight. Just...flat-out went for it no-holds barred, didn't even blink.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No denying that. Should have just given him a Lysander vibe

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

BrianWilly posted:

The one thing I will ding the movie for is playing the Evil Crip trope completely straight. Just...flat-out went for it no-holds barred, didn't even blink.

My hot take is that disability representation means bad guys too, and 'disabled megalomaniac wants to put everyone into pokemon bodies and puts himself in the body of the world's strongest pokemon because of course he does' is a very reasonable character motivation

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Axel Serenity posted:

Yeah. Bill Nighy being a huge loving Pokenerd after making the film is maybe the best thing from it.

When I read that, I imagined seeing Bill Nighy intensely researching Pokemon typing, and couldn't help to laugh inside. I can see him coldly telling the producers "I'm sorry, this is not acceptable, {type} cannot defeat {type}" in the only way Nighy can say poo poo like that and make it work.

I was super slipping, though, because it took me going home and googling it to realize that Pikachu could gently caress up Charizard because of him being Flying type and Electric being strong against flying. I'm sure I knew that at some point, but yesterday I was just "wait how can Pikachu scar that bad boy up? fire ain't weak to electric..."

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 10, 2019

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

BrianWilly posted:

That's a trope? I gotta say the turn completely shocked me because i'm so used to disabled characters being sympathetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MrFlibble posted:

That's a trope? I gotta say the turn completely shocked me because i'm so used to disabled characters being sympathetic

Depends on other factors, including the disability. Adult men in wheelchairs tend to be villainous (Professor X is the only exception that comes to mind).

And many of the sympathetic portrayals of people with disabilities in popular fiction tend to be rather condescending. There's not a lot of "in-between" portrayals.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 11, 2019