Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Agronox posted:

JC!

Actually, I just moved out today. They wanted to jack up the rent a bit too much.

Huh, my brother rents on the Jersey City waterfront, and I’m just over Kill Van Kull in Staten Island (and it sucks living here without a car because the MTA can’t be assed).

V nice job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:toot:

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 1, 2019

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Agronox posted:

JC!

Actually, I just moved out today. They wanted to jack up the rent a bit too much.

Oh cool, I commute via PATH and play X-Wing Miniatures with a bunch of people at Zeppelin Hall every now and then.

GhostStalker posted:

I'm just over Kill Van Kull in Staten Island (and it sucks living here without a car because the MTA can’t be assed).

Get a boat!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

oh my god the sticker

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Guys, I really kinda want to borrow someone's tent and sleeping bag and stuff even though I don't like camping :-(

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

MJP posted:

Guys, I really kinda want to borrow someone's tent and sleeping bag and stuff even though I don't like camping :-(

Hey, I'm just happy to see a Goon Project (tm) that was successful! Nicely done!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Really hope you tweeted that at Afro or the anime or something

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I should do that. Here's hoping I'm not an attention whore. What's Afro's handle?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

MJP posted:

I should do that. Here's hoping I'm not an attention whore. What's Afro's handle?

From a quick look it appears that Afro does not have twitter account (or much of a online presence at all), so I would suggest tweeting it at the anime account. The common hashtags appear to be #yurucamp, #ゆるキャン, and #ゆるキャンΔ.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

C.M. Kruger posted:

From a quick look it appears that Afro does not have twitter account (or much of a online presence at all)

Too busy visiting campsites and petting dogs. I don't know who Afro is, but I salute them

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Afro is the mangaka.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I tweeted at the manga, not Twitter famous yet.

The real bummer is that I have yet to find a 3/4 style helmet with three-button setup for a bubble shield which has a ratchet closure at a reasonable price. No Shimarin helmet yet :-(

I had an HJC IS-5 with cool stripes but D-ring closure sucks. If one ever comes up it's definitely doable to paint the helmet to match.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
You also need a "new driver" decal to complete the look.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Afro is the mangaka.

I mean, I know that much. I just wanted to praise their great wisdom in forgoing Twitter.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nipponophile posted:

You also need a "new driver" decal to complete the look.

Good call - I have one in my Redbubble cart, just gotta pull the trigger. By the time it arrives it should be safe to decal up the clear coat!

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Yurucamp volume 8 is out in japanese now. Featuring the full crew plus Inuko's little sister and Sensei. Everyone's families also make an extra strong showing this time round, including Rin's very powerful Grandpa.

Again, strongly recommend buying if you're learning Japanese since the text is relatively simple to read; if nothing else, you'd still be supporting Afro.

Also featuring Sensei's desperate (temporarily) attempt to control her drinking:

Reallycoolname fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 12, 2019

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2019/05/14-1/anime-vs-real-life-laid-back-camping-in-yamanashi

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This makes me happy.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I can't read that because Crunchy is blocked in Japan but my friends did go camping in Yamanashi this Golden Week because of Yuru Camp and it exactly as beautiful as they made it look in the show.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Volume 6 out today in English!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Volume 6 out today in English!

....Where? Amazon doesn't have it for another week.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I think indigo won't be delivering my copy until the end of the month :(

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Spotted in the Gunpla thread:

(Part of dioramas listed at this link)

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Merilan posted:

Spotted in the Gunpla thread:

(Part of dioramas listed at this link)

:comfyoot:

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

thank you for teaching me that emoji exists :comfyoot:

(and secret society blanket's influence spreads further)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

....Where? Amazon doesn't have it for another week.

Got it through Diamond so it must be one of the few times they ship early

it's amazing as we have Chiaki, Aoi, and Saito doing a winter camping trip alone where nothing could go wrong! Featuring Sensei doing something

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mine's supposed to be delivered next Tuesday and I cannot wait

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm still loving waiting for blurays, goddamnit. :argh:

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Got it through Diamond so it must be one of the few times they ship early

it's amazing as we have Chiaki, Aoi, and Saito doing a winter camping trip alone where nothing could go wrong! Featuring Sensei doing something

Sensei does as Sensei does.

(Spoilers: she drinks)

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Who's got the official TV anime guide for Yurucamp? This guy. :dance:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
WHEN IS SEASON 2

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
One would assume it'll be during the winter season, at the very least.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Been collecting, now I need to find either a ShimaRin neso or Nendo for cheap.

Also, an acquaintance has been to see Asaka in concert at cons at least 3 times this year, the latest at AniRevo in Vancouver next weekend, and does UO campfires every time he’s able to during Shiny Days. Wish I could afford that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

GhostStalker posted:

Also, an acquaintance has been to see Asaka in concert at cons at least 3 times this year, the latest at AniRevo in Vancouver next weekend, and does UO campfires every time he’s able to during Shiny Days. Wish I could afford that.

What does that even mean? :confused:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

tsob posted:

What does that even mean? :confused:

We make campfires with UOs. Probably easier just for me to link a video.

http://twitter.com/anisongparty/status/1145231784726138880

This was from an Anikura event in Queens I went to two months ago, the guy who I mentioned in somewhere in that pile. I even brought a Maruchan curry cup ramen to “cook” on top of the campfire, and the DJ has a full sized curry cup ramen costume he sometimes brings out for these events. Other friends sometimes even bring marshmallows, stick them on their UOs, and “roast” them.

Also, I found a ShimaRin neso on eBay, but for $40. I think I’m probably gonna pony up for it.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 5, 2019

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Is UO just a fancy word for glowstick or are they something else entirely?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Is UO just a fancy word for glowstick or are they something else entirely?

UO = Ultra Orange, a particularly bright glow stick that burns out within minutes, made by Lumica. Particularly famous for turning entire arenas orange when busted out for the climax of Snow Halation by Muse of Love Live fame.

Generally adopted by wotas and anikura fans for their wazas and hype songs and poo poo. In addition to wazas in general, things like Shiny Days campfires and UO kanpais (breaking a UO, dropping it into your drink, yelling kanpai! aka “cheers!” in Japanese, then downing your drink) are some of the more well known uses of UOs to the best of my knowledge from wota friends.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 5, 2019

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

GhostStalker posted:

Generally adopted by wotas and anikura fans for their wazas and hype songs and poo poo. In addition to wazas in general, things like Shiny Days campfires and UO kanpais (breaking a UO, dropping it into your drink, yelling kanpai! aka “cheers!” in Japanese, then downing your drink) are some of the more well known uses of UOs to the best of my knowledge from wota friends.

There is just so much new terminology in this post. The jargon, along the mention of a DJ wearing a ramen suit for events that happen fairly regularly make me wonder just how big Yurucamp and anime parties of this kind are in America.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

tsob posted:

There is just so much new terminology in this post. The jargon, along the mention of a DJ wearing a ramen suit for events that happen fairly regularly make me wonder just how big Yurucamp and anime parties of this kind are in America.

lol, sorry. Wota = idol otaku, which is pretty much self explanatory. Anikura = Anime (dance) club, aka events where you go and dance and poo poo to anime music; anisong = anime songs; waza means something like “move” as in a technique, and is what wotas do to anisong with their penlights and glow sticks, all of which have their own names (OAD, Romance, PPPH, Amaterasu, Thunder Snake), penlights and glow sticks are sometimes called cyalumes, etc etc.

As for the DJ, he and his group, Aniparty, are based here on the East Coast (MD, VA, NJ, NY, CT) and they’ve been hired by Lumica repeatedly over the past year and a half or so to do events at their booth at cons, in order to sell more glow sticks. Basically, they wanted to emulate the Akiba club mogra, which has a bunch of well known DJs and is known for mixing anisong every weekend, which is streamed on Twitch.

Shiny Days is a staple song at Aniparty events, as is a bunch of Love Live, idolm@s, Bandori, Revue Starlight (nowadays), Hamtaro (yes, you heard me), only my railgun, Rising Hope, Maware, the Da Pump song USA, and other anime OPs and EDs. If you’ve ever seen a video of a guy twirling an umbrella with UOs attached to them while other people spin in a circle around him, then you know the waza for the song Maware, and have met one of the regulars at these events.

They’ve done a bunch of cons for Lumica, including AX, AnimeNYC, Anime Central, Otakon, Anime Weekend Atlanta, Anime Boston, Kawaii-Con in Honolulu, and smaller ones like ToraCon at RIT, Toronto International Fan Festival, etc. I first met them attending Love Live concert delayed viewings here in NY, and they’ve done like 5 events total in Baltimore and NY in the year and a half or so that they’ve been active, plus a collab event or two with a anisong DJ group in Toronto called AniMaple. Decent attendance, and they stream their events on Twitch, but the VoDs don’t last long due to copyright claims and the like.

Another friend I’ve met through DVs went to the Asaka concert at Anime Boston , and that was where I first learned about UO marshmallows, when he broke them out as she was singing Shiny Days. I first learned about UO campfires when said friends started doing them at karaoke, and I fell into Yuru Camp as a result.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I've learnt so much on just this page alone.