Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Someone gifted me Vermintide 2 and I just played through the ~15min tutorial so far but it has possibly the best settings menu I've ever seen - there are just tons of adjustable options, and you can mouseover them to see not only a description of what the setting does but ALSO the relative level of load it puts on both your CPU and GPU. It's insanely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Finally getting a chance to play Doom 2016 and like, all of it. Just the whole thing. The imps teaching you that you can climb ledges, the lighting system subconsciously telling you where you want to go, the fact that they didnt bother justifying challenges beyond "hey do these for free poo poo, we both know why you're here.", the fact that Hell Knights immediately become a common enemy after the first miniboss fight with one because that's just how little they matter to you, just the whole game. Good game best game

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Regardless of anything else, Fallout 4's soundtrack has some real earworms in it. Though I guess that could also count as a negative.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Do those worms jingle jangle jingle?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Bungie is on their poo poo again, where they return an Exotic weapon from Destiny into Destiny 2 with a hidden quest that they just don't tell anyone about. Within hours of the update introducing the quest, the playerbase had found and completed the quest.

That doesn't diminish how good Destiny is as a series when it's being cryptic and hiding cool poo poo behind elaborate puzzles.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

Regardless of anything else, Fallout 4's soundtrack has some real earworms in it. Though I guess that could also count as a negative.

I first played it after a lovely breakup. The End Of The World was my jam. Until she told me to stop playing it (due to intense stupidity we still lived in the same house and I couldn't move out. Neither could she)

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

John Murdoch posted:

There’s some great stuff on there for sure, but I was bummed at how much was re used from 3. Still though, goooood tunes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Exit Strategy posted:

Bungie is on their poo poo again, where they return an Exotic weapon from Destiny into Destiny 2 with a hidden quest that they just don't tell anyone about. Within hours of the update introducing the quest, the playerbase had found and completed the quest.

That doesn't diminish how good Destiny is as a series when it's being cryptic and hiding cool poo poo behind elaborate puzzles.

WoW actually has a couple of really good secrets like this, that just totally ignore any lore or story reason to get the puzzle-enjoying players digging through every corner of the game world for clues. Generally they reward you with a mount too. Some are just "find all the clue, tap the macguffin there and follow the next clue" deals, but one or two actually have a puzzle to solve at each location that you can't just walkthrough your way through.

In one case it culminates in an eerily-quiet maze of near-identical rooms (not all have all four exits open) that is generated based on your unique player account ID along with the time and date so it's impossible to have the same one twice.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

WoW actually has a couple of really good secrets like this, that just totally ignore any lore or story reason to get the puzzle-enjoying players digging through every corner of the game world for clues. Generally they reward you with a mount too. Some are just "find all the clue, tap the macguffin there and follow the next clue" deals, but one or two actually have a puzzle to solve at each location that you can't just walkthrough your way through.

In one case it culminates in an eerily-quiet maze of near-identical rooms (not all have all four exits open) that is generated based on your unique player account ID along with the time and date so it's impossible to have the same one twice.

In the case of the new Exotic quest in D2, there are a handful of prerequisites for an individual character - None of which are explained at all, and some of which tie into lore. You must have completed a prior Exotic quest - the Rat King sidearm quest, specifically. You must have been given the opportunity to kill a particular Captain of the Fallen House of Dusk in a story mission and not done so, letting him escape. The mission starts out as a find-the-hidden-items-through-riddles puzzle, moves on to a bit of amateur cryptography, then involves a time-limited chase through the home-base location in Destiny 1 while fighting off waves of enemies before teaming up with that Captain you didn't kill to whack his old boss.

You get the Exotic gun when done. It's solid Destiny play.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't think killing that guy locks you out, almost nothing in D2 is truly missable. They just made it canon that nobody killed him.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

That lovely weapon I didn't bother with the multipart quest for is now step one of a different tedious quest.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

haveblue posted:

I don't think killing that guy locks you out, almost nothing in D2 is truly missable. They just made it canon that nobody killed him.

yeah I only did the rat king quest yesterday to unlock this one and I killed him, it was fine

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

haveblue posted:

I stand corrected on that bit, then.

rodbeard posted:

That lovely weapon I didn't bother with the multipart quest for is now step one of a different tedious quest.

I didn't realize this was the "whine incessantly" thread. My bad for posting a thing I like - forgot for a moment that ironic detachment is the cool kid choice.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I haven't played it in ages but Guild Wars 2 seemed like it had one puzzle dungeon in every zone. It didn't even count for 'world completion' - you'd just go poking around or check a wiki and boom, giant platforming dungeon. In the coastal city it's spooky pirate themed and you do stuff like surf down inclined waterfalls.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
One thing about Katana ZERO that I really appreciate is the way it ties its gameplay elements into its narrative. Bullet time and the quick level resets aren't just a feature, they're core parts of the story. The way you answer dialogue is neat - having a brief window to cut off the person your talking to or waiting a bit and then having a list of options to more civilly reply with - but even that takes on an added dimension as the game goes on. I would have been cool with the game being half of what it's turning out to be and I am very pleasantly surprised. I would encourage people interested not to sleep on it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Holy poo poo. Out of nowhere, significant props to Warframe for putting some pretty solid and realistic representation into a late-game quest that I never saw coming, for no reason than that they wanted to.

The Chains of Harrow has you learn about a being named Rell that one of the Syndicates you can ally with, the Red Veil, communes with and to some degree seems to worship in secret. You slowly learn what Rell is over the course of the quest, but they write him accurately enough that the reality of things can hit like a ton of bricks really early on. Rell was one of the kids on the ship exposed to crazy cosmic-horror phenomena that gave the player characters their powers, but both experienced it very differently and was treated very differently afterwards.

That's because Rell is on the autism spectrum; while it's never directly said, he has some very familiar-looking tics, stress attacks and coping mechanisms. They even fit in an actual real-life tool for teaching autistic children as a minigame to express Rell's struggles with a world he doesn't know how to handle, and that doesn't know how to handle him.

I'm kind of floored at how well they handle this. They didn't do anything like this before, and to my knowledge they don't do anything like this after. They just go in on this for one quest, knock it out of the goddamn park, and then go right back home.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Cleretic posted:

Holy poo poo. Out of nowhere, significant props to Warframe for putting some pretty solid and realistic representation into a late-game quest that I never saw coming, for no reason than that they wanted to.

The Chains of Harrow has you learn about a being named Rell that one of the Syndicates you can ally with, the Red Veil, communes with and to some degree seems to worship in secret. You slowly learn what Rell is over the course of the quest, but they write him accurately enough that the reality of things can hit like a ton of bricks really early on. Rell was one of the kids on the ship exposed to crazy cosmic-horror phenomena that gave the player characters their powers, but both experienced it very differently and was treated very differently afterwards.

That's because Rell is on the autism spectrum; while it's never directly said, he has some very familiar-looking tics, stress attacks and coping mechanisms. They even fit in an actual real-life tool for teaching autistic children as a minigame to express Rell's struggles with a world he doesn't know how to handle, and that doesn't know how to handle him.

I'm kind of floored at how well they handle this. They didn't do anything like this before, and to my knowledge they don't do anything like this after. They just go in on this for one quest, knock it out of the goddamn park, and then go right back home.

That was such a good and unexpected quest :3:

I really, really liked the first session with the conversation that goes somewhat like

Rell: But I don't understand it.

Mother: What?

Rell: We're on a ship [lots of extremely specific technobabble].

Mother: Yes, you were always so good at working with this.

Rell: Then why can't they fix me?

Mother: I've told you before, Rell. Tell me.

Rell: ...because I'm not broken.

Mother: Because you're not broken.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cleretic posted:

This is cool

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I tried Warframe not too long ago, but once the tutorial stuff ends it feels like the game just totally abandons you and I had no idea what to do now.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I tried Warframe not too long ago, but once the tutorial stuff ends it feels like the game just totally abandons you and I had no idea what to do now.

grind, is what to do now

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Rell was one of the kids on the ship exposed to crazy cosmic-horror phenomena that gave the player characters their powers, but both experienced it very differently and was treated very differently afterwards.

That's because Rell is on the autism spectrum;

shouldn't he have had the same experience as the player, then?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Katana Zero has about a billion little things, but I think the one that had me laughing hardest is when you pick up the pistol in one of the later levels. It's got a shiny floating "PICK ME UP, I'M A NEW MECHANIC" effect on it, and then you press A to use it and your character just throws it like any other throwing weapon :allears:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

That made me laugh so hard I had to pause the game when I followed the prompt to see what it did. It even played a little “new item” jingle when you pick it up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Katana Zero has about a billion little things, but I think the one that had me laughing hardest is when you pick up the pistol in one of the later levels. It's got a shiny floating "PICK ME UP, I'M A NEW MECHANIC" effect on it, and then you press A to use it and your character just throws it like any other throwing weapon :allears:

There is iirc even a special animation for the first enemy after you get it

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

shouldn't he have had the same experience as the player, then?

"treated very differently" meant that he was shunned from both the people who took the kids in after that occurrence and the kids themselves because of this.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

It's a real problem. What you do is just do new missions and try to unlock new planets, and you'll start getting item parts and resources as you do so. It's a very odd game but it's fun until it's not anymore.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I dunno, I kind of feel like if killing spacemen with your space ninja isn't fun enough to do without an endgame loot treadmill then it isn't fun enough to do with a treadmill either.

I don't think I have ever done serious 'efficient' grinding in Warframe and I've never wished I had.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

I dunno, I kind of feel like if killing spacemen with your space ninja isn't fun enough to do without an endgame loot treadmill then it isn't fun enough to do with a treadmill either.

I don't think I have ever done serious 'efficient' grinding in Warframe and I've never wished I had.
Yeah you don't have to. That's what I mean, just play your way until you stop having fun. Warframe is very much a "pick up for a bit" sort of game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've done grinding for some Prime equipment, but that was entirely voluntary, I already feel pretty strong without them.

Warframe's structure is weird, though, because I think all of its non-lore story content was added post-release. That means that even though there's at this point a lot of both central plot and ancillary sidestories going on, the core gameplay is still designed as if there's literally no reason to play the game outside of the core gameplay loop.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Zoig posted:

On the other hand, one of the classes is a electric guitar bard wearing a daft punk helmet.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH OH MY GOD

I NEED THIS IN MY VEINS

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
DC Universe Online is, as one might expect from a superhero MMO licensed from one of the big two comics companies, full of lore and nods to franchise history. One of the things you can do is undertake these little mini exploration quests using kiosks found around the main overworld cities of Metropolis and Gotham. These kiosk tours are voiced by Booster Gold, a wannabe celebrity superhero from the future, who takes on a sort of Troy McClure role as he bluffs his way through historical lectures about the landmarks you've found, works in various plugs, and at one point accidentally blurts out classified information and tries to pretend he made it up. The voice actor gives a really nice performance and it's a great piece of color.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Samuringa posted:

"treated very differently" meant that he was shunned from both the people who took the kids in after that occurrence and the kids themselves because of this.

it was a "player has autism" joke my man

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
It was a terrible joke then.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

just the messenger here lol

My favorite part of Mordhau so far is the audio work. It feels great to run alongside like 12 other people spamming the "Shout" button, or to have kind-of-conversations with an opponent using the surprisingly deep voice commands. Also, when you collapse some poor idiots heads with a big ol' mace, it makes a really satisfying sound, like a truck full of watermelons colliding with a truck full of chicken bones.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Screaming Idiot posted:

I'm playing Skyforge which is a lovely little F2P MMO that, at the moment, I am really enjoying. I'm at the early newbie poo poo so my cryomancer is tearing through packs of mobs, and it's relaxing to just dash through screaming "gently caress YOU I'MMA GOD!" while AOEing things to death. It's like the glory days of Wrath of the Lich King combined with using a controller instead of mouse and keyboard, and I love it.

Not every game has to be Dark Souls dual-wielding Bloodbornes while surfing on the back of DMC: Dante Must Die mode. Sometimes it's fun for a game to just be all, "Oh wow, you killed ALL the enemies! You're so cool! You're like a god!"

Also, I dig the cybernetic god aesthetic the game has going on. The four-armed robot god thing on the title screen is extremely my poo poo. This game may actually scam a couple bucks out of me, because I believe in giving games I enjoy some money.

I'm giving this a try based on your posts and the follow-ups and I gotta say, the devs have their hearts in the right place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgUt15Y38PU

Also, my god how janky this is. The lip syncing never works, the characters either keep moving their mouths for a while after the dialogue has ended or don't open them at all. The conversation models have two or three animations and you see all of them in a single dialogue. The subtitles and the spoken dialogue clash so often I don't even know what's the point of having them on.

I love it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

And when is this gonna finally be implemented in FF14?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Samuringa posted:

It was a terrible joke then.
that's right.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Samuringa posted:

I'm giving this a try based on your posts and the follow-ups and I gotta say, the devs have their hearts in the right place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgUt15Y38PU

Also, my god how janky this is. The lip syncing never works, the characters either keep moving their mouths for a while after the dialogue has ended or don't open them at all. The conversation models have two or three animations and you see all of them in a single dialogue. The subtitles and the spoken dialogue clash so often I don't even know what's the point of having them on.

I love it.

Get the McElroy brothers in on this.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I can't believe that SkyForge is being talked about and that people still play it.

It has some of the most fun looking classes of any game (The kinetic rock thrower is my fav) but the game as a whole is kind of a shitshow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Inzombiac posted:

I can't believe that SkyForge is being talked about and that people still play it.

It has some of the most fun looking classes of any game (The kinetic rock thrower is my fav) but the game as a whole is kind of a shitshow

Oh, it absolutely is, but so far it's a light, stupid shitshow that's a fun way to kill time, or at least I think so. It's fun to run around and blow things up as a cryomancer, and I would happily offer at least two of my three testicles to unlock the Daft Punk bard class.

And you can customize dude asses. More games need to let you customize dude asses. The key isn't to de-sexualize female characters, but to make dudes as sexualized as the ladies.