Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Kuato posted:

Doesn’t Disney own aliens now? So perhaps they can retcon 3 at some point in the near future? A man can dream.

One quick search and a total lack of surprise later, I am now aware of "Alien Queen as Disney Princess" fan art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WatermelonGun posted:

oh hey sony just announced some asymmetrical predator game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMo1_0bFr9o
that’s the only thing they’ve put out but i can safely say this is our sistine chapel

God damnit.

God loving damnit.

These assholes are gonna make me buy a PlayStation.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I had no idea it was a prequel. I don't tend to like prequels but I thought this was a remake which I like even less so I just didn't watch it. I saw The Thing for the first time maybe 3 years ago and just fell in love. What a great movie. Carpenter is just amazing. I might have to watch the new one now.
Yeah the prequel ends literally where the Carpenter movie begins; they dovetail perfectly, it’s really slick. Like yeah it’s not as good as the Carpenter movie but that’s such a ridiculously high bar to clear that you should just keep realistic expectations. It’s not perfect, but it doesn’t fall into the common prequel traps of trying to “explain away” stuff or “expand the lore” or whatever, it just tells an entertaining story while being shockingly faithful to what we (briefly) see in the Carpenter movie, but without calling attention to that fact. You can tell that the people making the movie gave a poo poo and were fans of the original and didn’t want to gently caress it up.

If you’re going to watch it, DO NOT watch any trailers for it. The advertising was godawful, and the trailers spoil every Thing-out and a bunch of deaths, it’s loving baffling.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ElectricSheep posted:

One quick search and a total lack of surprise later, I am now aware of "Alien Queen as Disney Princess" fan art

Come on man don’t leave us hanging!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

God damnit.

God loving damnit.

Yeah the prequel ends literally where the Carpenter movie begins; they dovetail perfectly, it’s really slick. Like yeah it’s not as good as the Carpenter movie but that’s such a ridiculously high bar to clear that you should just keep realistic expectations. It’s not perfect, but it doesn’t fall into the common prequel traps of trying to “explain away” stuff or “expand the lore” or whatever, it just tells an entertaining story while being shockingly faithful to what we (briefly) see in the Carpenter movie, but without calling attention to that fact. You can tell that the people making the movie gave a poo poo and were fans of the original and didn’t want to gently caress it up.

If you’re going to watch it, DO NOT watch any trailers for it. The advertising was godawful, and the trailers spoil every Thing-out and a bunch of deaths, it’s loving baffling.

Yeah I heard it did really bad. But I'm a weirdo who tends to like some movies that others don't. Coming from you this is probably a decent movie and if they really tried to pay tribute to the original without screwing it up then it's definitely something I'd like to see.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'm in the same boat, late to The Thing party but it's one of my favourite movies now.

The prequel was quite decent I thought, but I went in with 0 expectations.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Thinking about watching Alien 3 assembly cut tonight is it actually good or have people been lying to me

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sid Vicious posted:

Thinking about watching Alien 3 assembly cut tonight is it actually good or have people been lying to me

I liked the Assembly cut. Overall I don't think Alien 3 is a terrible movie once you get over the shock of Hicks and Newt. I've watched it a few times recently and there are some redeeming qualities.

Just don't expect much. Usually when I do that I end up enjoying the movie more than had I gone in thinking it was amazing. It's not a great movie, but it's not bad.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This thread has me craving all things Aliens so I went back and played through the Stasis Interrupted DLC for Colonial Marines and folks, it’s not good. Poor Michael Biehn sounds like they had to put a gun to his head to get him to show up.

RE: the Predator game, I think it’s a multiplayer asymmetric game where a team of soldiers has to complete objectives while being hunted by a player as the Predator. It’s being done by the guys who did the Friday the 13th game, which was actually pretty good if I remember right, although it was pretty buggy.

e: ignore the double speculation on the game, I’m bad at reading

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Beet Wagon posted:

This thread has me craving all things Aliens so I went back and played through the Stasis Interrupted DLC for Colonial Marines and folks, it’s not good. Poor Michael Biehn sounds like they had to put a gun to his head to get him to show up.

Overall I don't think it was bad. I posted earlier in the thread after just playing a little bit of it. The beginning where you don't have a weapon at all. Walking by and then a steam vent shoots down. Usually I don't like jump scares but poo poo, it's Aliens. The rest of it really wasn't outstanding or memorable. I'd recommend playing it if you have the game and the DLC. When I bought the game it was on sale (lol I never pay full price for a game) and got all of the DLC with it. I'm sort of going through the original campaign again when I get too bored. I really don't mind the game overall. Some people complained about other people being with you, but to me that's what Colonial Marines do. In every other game you're alone and yeah it's scarier but I enjoy working with other Marines. It feels more true to what the game is supposed to be. I also have no mods for it because I feel if I have smarter alien AI then I'll just get more scared. :shrug:

Also, yeah, poor Michael Biehn. He was on that service that someone had a thread about a while back where you can pay celebrities (some big ones too) to make a video message for you. Biehn looked like he was drunk in a motel room. It was kinda sad really.

If anyone knows that site I'm talking about please let me know.

edit: Cameo is the site.

edit 2: it's $60, I could probably get him to say something about the Something Awful forums. And the updated videos don't look as bad as before. He actually looks like a normal person, although pretty old now.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 10, 2019

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

ElectricSheep posted:

That ain't right, she should be an Ursula or a Maleficent, it's right there in her name

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

MarcusSA posted:

Come on man don’t leave us hanging!

was phone postin'

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm not surprised in the least bit. There are sexy alien drawings that I unfortunately found a month or so ago.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
This is Michael Biehn on Cameo btw.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ElectricSheep posted:

was phone postin'

Lol this is good.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I know memes are passé, but can I get a pass on this one?

It's just so loving good.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I made this a set of pictures of my daughter being spooky and scary and it fits the thread

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I know memes are passé, but can I get a pass on this one?

It's just so loving good.

Alien memes are fine by me!

Sid Vicious posted:

I made this a set of pictures of my daughter being spooky and scary and it fits the thread

:lol: that is amazing.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Sid Vicious posted:

lol you're a good dad sid :allears:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Make a Predator game where it's Batman Arkham City but you play as a Predator.

This seems so obvious now that I think about it that I'm annoyed this isn't already a thing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Drunken Baker posted:

Make a Predator game where it's Batman Arkham City but you play as a Predator.

This seems so obvious now that I think about it that I'm annoyed this isn't already a thing.

'Predator: Concrete Jungle' came out on the original Xbox and PS2 and was kinda-sorta this.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Xenomrph posted:

'Predator: Concrete Jungle' came out on the original Xbox and PS2 and was kinda-sorta this.

I couldn't forgive it being 3rd person. Me not owning either system wasn't helping, either.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ive been trying to find the words to express why I hate Alien 3 so much, specifically why, in a series based around symbolic rape monsters, the rape scene bothers me so much. I think it's the complete lack of allegory or symbolism to it, I can't think of what that scene adds or expresses beyond "well, they're prisoners, so it seems likely that they'd at least try?" and that's a lovely justification to me.
Like even in Alien when Ash tries to 'rape' Ripley with the magazine there's a lot going on there - he's imitating this life-form that he's suddenly very impressed by, he's a robot who can't actually have sex. In Alien 3 it feels like a checkbox being checked. I'm at a point where my threshold for a human-on-human, completely straightforward rape scene in a movie has to do some serious heavy lifting to justify it's inclusion, Alien 3 absolutely 100% fails at this.
Alien has always been a pretty feminist franchise as far as action movies go - the first one was used to define the Bechdel test in the first place, the second one gave us Vasquez and turned Ripley's motherhood into a superpower - Alien 3 goes on to fail the Bechdel test but feels like the attempted rape of one of the most powerful icons of sci fi is worth putting in the movie.
You can read Alien 3 as being about reproductive rights - it's basically about a woman being forced to carry a child to term, who commits suicide when faced with no other options. Which, yeah, that seems accurate, but the rest of the movie leads me to believe they probably didn't do that on purpose. And even giving them the benefit of the doubt that makes the whole package of Alien 3 even more bleak and depressing. Movie starts by murdering our heroine's surrogate family, and over the course of 90 minutes she's impregnated against her will, abused, and eventually the only way she can regain any control of her own life is to kill herself. Part of the horror of Alien used to be that suddenly being a man is no protection against this thing that happens to millions of women. As a man you too can be abducted and raped and forced to give birth against your will. The monster is just as much of a threat to everyone on board, it doesn't become "save the women!!" So Alien 3 says let's take that equal playing field and let's take our beloved feminist icon and let's just take her down a few pegs. Alien 3 is bad. The assembly cut is bad. A piece of poo poo is not improved by cutting it apart and rearranging the segments of poo poo.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, that was alright for the time but man... the Batman system lends itself perfectly to Predator. The army and goons all upgrading their gear as you go, scanning the perch points with scanners. Inverted takedowns resulting in skinned bodies dangling for others to find and scaring the poo poo out of them. Freeflow combat with sick nasty combi-stick takedowns.

edit: Set it in the current time, but it's the future from Predator 2 which explains why the gangs have taken over.

I'm sincerely depressing myself here.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

purple death ray posted:

A piece of poo poo is not improved by cutting it apart and rearranging the segments of poo poo.

:hmmyes:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Today is my birthday and while I'm not thrilled with that for reasons unrelated to Aliens or this thread, expect photos of some of my random Aliens (and maybe Predator) merchandise posted later today.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Xenomrph posted:

Today is my birthday and while I'm not thrilled with that for reasons unrelated to Aliens or this thread, expect photos of some of my random Aliens (and maybe Predator) merchandise posted later today.

Well happy birthday anyway.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Xenomrph posted:

mllaneza posted:

Well happy birthday anyway.
What this guy said.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

There's going to be a showing of Alien at my university where a zoologist is going to hold a lecture beforehand on the parasitoids that inspired the aliens. :coolfish:

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Xenomrph posted:

Merry bday, dude!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenomrph posted:

more like burst day

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

God damnit.

God loving damnit.

All this Thing talk made me discover that there are two comics that are sequels to The Thing. They're pretty short but decent enough. My only criticism is that Antarctica seems to have a regular day/night cycle. But apart from that was good enough.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Xenomrph posted:

Happy Birthday dude. Are you the same Xenomrph who frequented the AvP/GameGossip forums back in AvP Gold/AvP 2’s hayday?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grevling posted:

There's going to be a showing of Alien at my university where a zoologist is going to hold a lecture beforehand on the parasitoids that inspired the aliens. :coolfish:

This is really cool and good.

Also happy birthday dude!

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

WatermelonGun posted:

oh hey sony just announced some asymmetrical predator game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMo1_0bFr9o
that’s the only thing they’ve put out but i can safely say this is our sistine chapel

Thats totally not Evolve in Alien paint, is it?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Thats totally not Evolve in Alien paint, is it?

it’s by the guys who did the friday the 13th game so i’m gonna guess it’s that in alien paint

happy birthday xenomrph!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grevling posted:

I think parasites in nature are more horrifying than the Aliens lifecycle

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zeniel posted:

All this Thing talk made me discover that there are two comics that are sequels to The Thing. They're pretty short but decent enough. My only criticism is that Antarctica seems to have a regular day/night cycle. But apart from that was good enough.
More than two actually - there was the initial two-issue sequel (art was great, tone and "fathfulness" to the creature, not so much), then a 4-part series "Climate of Fear", then another 4-part series "Eternal Vows". They each kinda get progressively worse, the last series is pretty bad.

There was also a short story in the "Dark Horse Comics" anthology series, issues 13 through 16. It's pretty cool and arguably my favorite of The Thing comics.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Happy Birthday dude. Are you the same Xenomrph who frequented the AvP/GameGossip forums back in AvP Gold/AvP 2’s hayday?
Yes I am.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Since we're chatting about The Thing now, here's a really good fanfic written from the creature's perspective. It's absolutely chilling and you should definitely read it if you haven't already.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Xenomrph posted:

More than two actually - there was the initial two-issue sequel (art was great, tone and "fathfulness" to the creature, not so much), then a 4-part series "Climate of Fear", then another 4-part series "Eternal Vows". They each kinda get progressively worse, the last series is pretty bad.

There was also a short story in the "Dark Horse Comics" anthology series, issues 13 through 16. It's pretty cool and arguably my favorite of The Thing comics.

That's not all, there's also this short digital comic called The Northman Nightmare involving Vikings.

It's available free here

Mister Speaker posted:

Since we're chatting about The Thing now, here's a really good fanfic written from the creature's perspective. It's absolutely chilling and you should definitely read it if you haven't already.

This rules, but I honestly prefer the idea that the UFO's crew were victims of the Thing, rather than it being the Thing's ship.

Jeremiah Flintwick fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Grevling posted:

I expect you to attend and provide a full report.