Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
You're allowed to be holier than thou if they preorder though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

here is "the deal": you may buy P5R, but you have to retweet this

https://twitter.com/g0m/status/1109487821277016064

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

if you preorder you have to give it a like as well

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What if I did all of this and didn't preorder p5r

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Captain Baal posted:

What if I did all of this and didn't preorder p5r
then you've gained positive wokeness. DYA immediately before it accumulates, leaving you unable to watch anime without whispering the word "sexualized" every thirty seconds

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

Nah

E: More seriously, I'm pretty sure most people here who have problems with P5 being "problematic" have said a lot about how they like the game.

The thing is that it's kind of a huge blemish on an otherwise good game that nowadays is becoming harder and harder to overlook.

It's not great, but I don't see why it keeps coming up. Nobody disagrees with that, the closest is Razzledazzle's weird hill about Hashino.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's just talking in circles.

Elephant Parade posted:

DYA immediately before it accumulates,

...What?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Elephant Parade posted:

here is "the deal": you may buy P5R, but you have to retweet this

https://twitter.com/g0m/status/1109487821277016064

Do I have to do something to buy SMTV

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

It's not great, but I don't see why it keeps coming up. Nobody disagrees with that, the closest is Razzledazzle's weird hill about Hashino.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's just talking in circles.
it's great, but i don't see why it keeps coming up. nobody disagrees with that, the closest is butt ghost's weird hill about homophobia.

if you like it, buy it. it's just talking in circles.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and now nobody will ever post again

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
keep in mind that even if there ends up being no new homophobic/transphobic content in p5r due to no hashino, the chance of the rest of the team caring enough to remove/change the bad stuff from vanilla p5 is effectively zero. just wait and hope the inevitable persona 6 coming 2025 is better about it I guess

edit: oh no I posted after the end of the topic, now I'm going to be cancelled :ohdear:

Zyxyz fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 10, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there was some big essay on the homophobic/transphobic themes in persona 4 i read that ended with

quote:

However, their attempts here at least show some curiosity, if nothing else, and the franchise's iconography and premise are certainly ripe with opportunities for exploring this kind of content. I remain cautiously optimistic that Persona 5 will at least improve on these attempts.

UPDATE, SEPTEMBER 2016: It did not.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

and now nobody will ever post again

I'm doing it right now

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm still not buying it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'll buy it for you

As in I will buy at and play it and you can use my spirit energy to play it through me

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wanted to like p5 a whole lot going in but looking back on it, that game's not something I particularly want to play again. the writing has a lot of problems even beyond the homophobic/transphobic stuff. also making it longer is prob not the play. I took a 2-3 month break halfway through on my first playthrough as it is

if it turns out that they went all out with this rerelease and fixed a bunch of stuff, I'm open to giving it another try tho

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

I wanted to like p5 a whole lot going in but looking back on it, that game's not something I particularly want to play again. the writing has a lot of problems even beyond the homophobic/transphobic stuff. also making it longer is prob not the play. I took a 2-3 month break halfway through on my first playthrough as it is

if it turns out that they went all out with this rerelease and fixed a bunch of stuff, I'm open to giving it another try tho

When does the transphobic stuff happen?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tbh I'm not sure if there is any but it was brought up a few times here so I just assume I don't remember that part. it's been a while since I played p5. some things I specifically remember being weirded out over (like the ann/yosuke nude modeling gag) but there's definitely a lot that I can't recall or just plain missed too

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Atlus went really transphobic with the Catherine re-release but afaik P5 didn't have that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It was homophobia. There is an Okama bar in the game, but the Madam isn't really treated badly by the game and is easily the better part of Ohda's confidant.

It's the homosexual stereotypes that are offensive and really should not be in the game.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

How does the Japanese side of the fan base see these things? Does anyone know?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Zore posted:

Yeah, Atlus went really transphobic with the Catherine re-release but afaik P5 didn't have that.

There's still time until the re-release.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ratoslov posted:

How does the Japanese side of the fan base see these things? Does anyone know?

Generally reception to the game is positive but the LGBTQ there was not happy with the gay stereotypes either and I believe there was a lot of talk raised over what happened in Full Body especially. It doesn't seem to be too much different from the discourse you see in most places westerners talk about these games, but admittedly my sample pool is somewhat limited on this kind of thing.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

From my understanding, the outrage was initially stronger in japan than in English speaking territories because the people being parodied in the gay panic scene are well known Japanese comedians and prominent figures in the lgbt community. The scene is way more malicious knowing that.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

You’d need a total overhaul to fix the issues with p5’s story. I think it has some good idea and executes a few of them well, but it’s riddle with a ton of underdeveloped concepts.

Like the big conspiracy behind Shido controlling a bunch of goons mostly being irrelevant, with the SIU director being this cackling villain who shows up in three scenes and then dies without the phantom thieves even being aware of him. Or Shido being elected prime minister with his affiliates planning around his change of heart just going nowhere and never being mentioned again. Or just the concept of the phantom thrives trying to change the status quo, only to have everything end with a the status quo restored, and society completely forgetting they even existed

It bothered me that they changed 'social links' to 'confidants' but never did anything different with them. You have a politician, an ex-Yakuza, and a reporter as confidants and none of them factor into the main story in interesting ways despite those three characters specifically overlapping with themes the game emphasizes. I would have loved if Yoshida's social link got you closer to Shido or a member of his conspiracy even if it was just some optional scenes or section to a dungeon. And since the topic was previously about how the game could have better shown the harsh work conditions of Okomura's food chain, maybe some of his employees have been going to Takemi's clinic because they don't get a medical plan and she's a back-alley doctor. Were I to overhaul the story not all, but some of the confidants would have more ties to the main story and I'd merge Mishima's role as the guy getting mementos with Ohya so that you primarily get scoops through her and the bar patrons.

Something else the game could have done is lean harder into the idea that affecting the target in the real world affects their dungeon. I think each dungeon should have one optional section that can be unlocked if you trigger the correct flags in the real world. So like how Madarame needed to feel like his hidden collection was in danger to open the last half of his dungeon; every target should have something they are afraid of or wary of that you can flaunt to them to open a new area with appropriately decent loot and encounters. The game really doesn't let you interact with your targets and part of my impression of picaresque thieves is that level of intimacy the thief has in each heist.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I recently read an interview with a JP trans indie developer where she brought up Persona 5 sucking and her disliking that it's one of the most western-facing Japanese games in recent times, since people who dislike that stuff read it as 'poor backwards Japan' and people who think that stuff is harmless or agree with it see it as Japan being somehow less political than the West.

In other words, yes, the Japanese reaction is very similar to the Western reaction.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Going back to P4G after playing persona 5 a bunch is awkward controls wise. I keep accidentally going into rush mode

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

I still think the music and presentation in P4G is incredibly good, though my New Game + file has made things fairly boring and is making me simply want to restart from the very beginning, having the best personas for any given situation has eliminated just about any challenge that may have once existed.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
My strategy is to watch the new bits on YouTube because then i don't have to waste £40 buying the same game again or waste a 100 hours replaying through a game i've already played.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

I recently read an interview with a JP trans indie developer where she brought up Persona 5 sucking and her disliking that it's one of the most western-facing Japanese games in recent times, since people who dislike that stuff read it as 'poor backwards Japan' and people who think that stuff is harmless or agree with it see it as Japan being somehow less political than the West.

In other words, yes, the Japanese reaction is very similar to the Western reaction.

Yeah, there are definitely parts of the internet that get excited over how "un cucked" Japan is for having stuff like that in their games and nobody there complains! (Except, you know, people do.)

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The environmental details in 4 are one of my favorite parts. Half the fun of playing through again in Golden was seeing the environments in higher res. I would love to have a desk-sized diorama of the shopping district or school to play with in real life.

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

Randallteal posted:

The environmental details in 4 are one of my favorite parts. Half the fun of playing through again in Golden was seeing the environments in higher res. I would love to have a desk-sized diorama of the shopping district or school to play with in real life.

Agreed 100%. One of the biggest shames about the Playstation 4 is how they ported Dancing All Night to it and the best game on the Vita is now extremely difficult to play. I like Persona 4 and 3 in just about every way more than 5 aside from the core gameplay.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
hi smt thread i have a request and wasn't entirely sure where to post, figured this would be the best spot, if not i apologize feel free to ignore or laugh or both

im looking for a person who was a GM or community mod for the SMT: IMAGINE mmo back when...I think Atlus Online was still around, before Marvelous took over

i'm writing an article about a private server that is keeping imagine alive, but i also want to write about the history of the official server and what exactly went wrong behind the scenes (you know, other than CAVE hating its international fans and Aeria being extremely greedy with the gacha)

i know they're here somewhere because they introduced me to these forums way back in 2011/12, and the only thing i can remember is they had the "stop getting mad at video games" image as an avatar. would like to interview them if possible.

thank you!

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

atlus japan is taking fan suggestions for p5r

:clap: re- :clap: -move :clap: the :clap: gay :clap: panic :clap:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I dunno if it's just me or everyone, but Amazon just shipped out my Persona Q2 special edition to arrive on Wednesday.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
mine has not shipped so looks like you just got lucky or its an error

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Did they charge you for it? Usually they don't charge you until they actually start the shipping process.

I think I'm actually going to wait on PQ2. I wasn't a big fan of the previous so I don't feel like I'll be missing out at the moment.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Excited for the return of both femc and lotus juice, but pq1 was pretty dull, and also I really don’t feel like whipping my 3ds back out

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Here's my Persona Q: why isn't it on Switch

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Stop asking why atlus games don't get put onto modern consoles they are pepertually behind the curb and they are never going to stop being that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Here's my Persona Q: why isn't it on Switch

Because it's reusing the Etrian Odyssey system which is only on the 3DS and they don't yet have it remade for the Switch (since it relies on two screens and so-on.)