Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I was tempted by goatse, but figured it was too ambiguous. Plus, I don't have any gold ink for the wedding band.

Finally, a worthy snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm the ballsack. which should be its own card :colbert:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

The Butt's job is to get in the way and make everything harder, so ballsack would be a duplicate function. :eng101:

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
14 days in a row of drawing at least 10 minutes a day. It's my greatest streak.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

ThreeStep posted:

14 days in a row of drawing at least 10 minutes a day. It's my greatest streak.

Great job, keep it up! It gets easier the more you do it.

Animal randomizer gave me aardvark today. So I of course had to add in a couple of my favorite aardvark characters.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I redrew my poison dart frog onto my watercolour paper and I'm kind of shocked just how much better it is (imo). Took me about the same time as the sketch on the right. I've fiddled with the camera settings to make it easier to see. The picture is actually quite faint on the watercolour paper.

Just need to grab a a few paints tomorrow (and hopefully my new brushes arrive in the mail) and I can start. Should be a good weekend project.

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
Nice work! What do you think made the difference? Was it just drawing it a second time, or did you approach it differently?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Doing it again forced me to consider the proportion more. I think it helped that I had to spend less concentration trying to get my hand to do what I wanted to do so I could focus more on the details I missed or got wrong the first time. I also used basic geometric shapes to get the major components roughly the right size and placement because when I first did it on the watercolour paper, I tried it in landscape orientation and found myself running out of room and not having it properly centred. Going portrait and drawing some circles for the head, eyes, body etc to "contain" them helped.

Edit:

Good news! I'm going to get even more practice drawing that same frog because I watched the video about different papers and the presenters experience with Strathmore 400 paper mirrors my own and it seems I won't be able to blend colours in the way I need to. So I'm on the 100% cotton train now. However I don't see that arches does their paper in a visual diary/book form like I want, so I'm going to try Windsor and Newton 100% cotton and see how it goes. Apparently I need to do everything the wrong way first. :downs:

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 9, 2019

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Still busy as gently caress with uni, but here's a main menu screen I drew for the game project:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Feeling a bit cyberpunk.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Carth Dookie posted:

Good news! I'm going to get even more practice drawing that same frog because I watched the video about different papers and the presenters experience with Strathmore 400 paper mirrors my own and it seems I won't be able to blend colours in the way I need to. So I'm on the 100% cotton train now. However I don't see that arches does their paper in a visual diary/book form like I want, so I'm going to try Windsor and Newton 100% cotton and see how it goes. Apparently I need to do everything the wrong way first. :downs:
Told ya. :colbert:

Link to the 100% cotton book?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Carth Dookie posted:

Apparently I need to do everything the wrong way first. :downs:

art.txt

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

lofi posted:

art.txt

I went into the store for a tube of indigo blue and left with a 45EU brush among other stuff (did not forget the indigo blue).

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Keetron posted:

Told ya. :colbert:

Link to the 100% cotton book?

https://www.eckersleys.com.au/winsor-newton-hard-bound-water-colour-visual-journals

Edit:

To be fair, the Strathmore stuff would be perfectly fine for flat painting or cartoon illustration, or even just basic draft painting it's just I need to do some wet on wet blending for this. I may even use it for that basic flat stuff down the line.

Also that video about palettes makes the observation that an enamel coat over plastic does a decent job of mimicking porcelain behaviour. I bought a metal paint box with enamel coating on the mixing areas so we'll see how it goes when it arrives.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 9, 2019

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

heavy liquid posted:

Great job, keep it up! It gets easier the more you do it.

Animal randomizer gave me aardvark today. So I of course had to add in a couple of my favorite aardvark characters.

Thanks! I graduated with an illustration/graphic design degree years ago and since then haven't done poo poo with it. Trying to claw my way back to skills I sort of had before.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

https://www.eckersleys.com.au/winsor-newton-hard-bound-water-colour-visual-journals

Edit:

To be fair, the Strathmore stuff would be perfectly fine for flat painting or cartoon illustration, or even just basic draft painting it's just I need to do some wet on wet blending for this. I may even use it for that basic flat stuff down the line.

Also that video about palettes makes the observation that an enamel coat over plastic does a decent job of mimicking porcelain behaviour. I bought a metal paint box with enamel coating on the mixing areas so we'll see how it goes when it arrives.

Heh, not sold in Europe, but thank you for the link.
About the porcelain, I just like the weight of it as much as the behaviour, metal can feel flimsy.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Keetron posted:

Heh, not sold in Europe, but thank you for the link.
About the porcelain, I just like the weight of it as much as the behaviour, metal can feel flimsy.

Yeah I get that. For now I'm prioritising being able to pack stuff away and also take it with me so I'm going with metal for now.

My brushes didn't arrive in the mail today so I won't be doing the frog on W&N cotton paper this weekend. :saddowns:

So I decided to do it on the Strathmore I have with the brushes I have. It's all practice and I think it would be good to compare to when I do it on cotton paper.

I'm also probably going to build my own paint selection of Daniel Smith paints once I get my metal paint box/palette.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Cottontop tamarin was given to me today. They own because not only do they have ears like elves/Spock, but a luscious head of white hair just like Immortan Joe from Fury Road.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

And he isn't wearing KISS makeup and thrashing a star shaped guitar why?

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

some warframe gijinka for your soul...more on the way eventually

Next up! it's loki, nyx, and rhino

Fruity20 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 10, 2019

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

And he isn't wearing KISS makeup and thrashing a star shaped guitar why?

haha, fair point! I'll have to do a new set of cottontop tamarins as KISS rock stars. Also maybe driving the Gigahorse from Fury Road.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
OK I'm back in the game, and first up is...

Vampire bat!

Second pitch,

And it's cyberpunk grandgoblin, going long!

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
Hey thread!

I've been super antisocial with RL so havnt posted on here (or anywhere much!) but my drawing itch came back over the last few days, and I decided to finally face up to a perfectionist challenge. A self portrait!

Two days later and Im happy...ish... with what I've got.

Sketch:

Painted:

Reference:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
this is uh.... a presidential candidate?????

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
I rediscovered Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and how much I love it's style. So trying my hand at the art to see if I can figure how to do it myself. Didn't get far before I had to go to work, but it's fun.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Brushes came in so I decided to take a crack at the poison dart frog on the Strathmore 400 paper. This was the result. I might repost it when I have access to a scanner because I'm not sure my phone photo captures it properly. I also did a test painting on the cotton Windsor and Newton paper. I didn't really have a plan or proper reference for that one so I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 11, 2019

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

d3c0y2 posted:

Painted:

Reference:

Welcome back!

You've got the opposite of what I've got here: I tend to automatically paint faces thinner than they are. You got the nose down pat which is like 90% of the battle of faces.

If you ever feel stuck, here's my special secret to portraits when I know I'm off but can't quite spot where 'cause I've been staring at the painting for too long, trying to make that nose work and gently caress this, gently caress everything:
Cheating. Make another layer on top of your reference, trace the main features' outlines, copy this layer on top of your painting and adjust the size to where the eye/nose area (or main elements you've got down) fit the size/shape of the outline. Swear under your breath, adjust accordingly. Tell yourself "This is educational. I'm learning the themes of where I usually go wrong and thus learning to avoid such mistakes in the future. I'm not cheating. I'M NOT CHEATING."

Seriously though, I don't trace at the start 'cause while you do get more accuracy that way, it also leaves the subjects a bit stiff and lifeless and does not help you develop your skills at seeing proportions. It's also easy to enter uncanny valley like those Wikihow pictures if you start with tracing. However, it's a useful tool to see where you've hosed up.

Al! posted:

this is uh.... a presidential candidate?????

If she promises one of those goblin pets in every home, she's got my vote and I don't care if she burns down half the country. :colbert:

Aaaaaa this came out so pretty, lookit all the colours! Especially the colourslide in the stripes turned out great.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Those black stripes hide a multitude of sins. If I'd done any other type of dart frog it would look poo poo house.

I also cheated. The white highlights are white gouache.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Attempt at making my first manga-style drawing:

There's a long, long, long road ahead. I envy ONE for being abble to pull together coherent scenes the way he does.

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
More gesture practice - this time the model was pregnant.

A couple more from today's session here.

I'm going through croquis cafe's daily videos from February, which they call "figuary". Haven't had the energy for drawing (or much else, really) for the last week, but now the weekend is here, and I'm back to practicing.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sharpest Crayon posted:

If she promises one of those goblin pets in every home, she's got my vote and I don't care if she burns down half the country. :colbert:

i uh, wish i could explain these gifs

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Welcome back!

You've got the opposite of what I've got here: I tend to automatically paint faces thinner than they are. You got the nose down pat which is like 90% of the battle of faces.

If you ever feel stuck, here's my special secret to portraits when I know I'm off but can't quite spot where 'cause I've been staring at the painting for too long, trying to make that nose work and gently caress this, gently caress everything:
Cheating. Make another layer on top of your reference, trace the main features' outlines, copy this layer on top of your painting and adjust the size to where the eye/nose area (or main elements you've got down) fit the size/shape of the outline. Swear under your breath, adjust accordingly. Tell yourself "This is educational. I'm learning the themes of where I usually go wrong and thus learning to avoid such mistakes in the future. I'm not cheating. I'M NOT CHEATING."

Seriously though, I don't trace at the start 'cause while you do get more accuracy that way, it also leaves the subjects a bit stiff and lifeless and does not help you develop your skills at seeing proportions. It's also easy to enter uncanny valley like those Wikihow pictures if you start with tracing. However, it's a useful tool to see where you've hosed up.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah I used to use the grid method but I've moved away from that lately. I definitely made myself far chunkier than in real life. I use the plum line method sometimes but I've never overlaid my drawing over the original picture. I should start but as you say it feels like cheating hah

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Al! posted:

i uh, wish i could explain these gifs

You are under the spell of the Powerful Vagina and you shall do its bidding.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."

Sharpest Crayon posted:

OK I'm back in the game, and first up is...

Vampire bat!
This reminds me of the thing from the end of REC. But less terrifying.

The random animal generator gave me ant. :effort: So I looked through my folder of cute pictures and just decided to paint Tama the cat instead. I tried to focus on painting quick.

Also I don't know how people feel about Prismacolors. They're typically out of my price range but AC Moore has a 36ct on sale for 75% off. I just got mine in the mail yesterday and I'm excited to try them out, particularly in combination with alcohol markers.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

bones 4 beginners posted:

Also I don't know how people feel about Prismacolors. They're typically out of my price range but AC Moore has a 36ct on sale for 75% off. I just got mine in the mail yesterday and I'm excited to try them out, particularly in combination with alcohol markers.

Prismacolors are fine and that's a great deal! I have a few sets of Prismacolors and Faber-Castels. I should really start using them again.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Carth Dookie posted:

Gouche highlights

Don't believe anyone who tells you it's cheating if it gets good results! I use a Gelliroll pen for my white highlights, it's the most opaque white I've found in any sort of portable format. If you insist on suffering for purity, pick up some drawing gum to mask highlight spots off (and destroy your paper 50% of the time).

Sharpest Crayon posted:

got the nose down pat which is like 90% of the battle of faces.

If you ever feel stuck, here's my special secret to portraits when I know I'm off but can't quite spot where 'cause I've been staring at the painting for too long, trying to make that nose work and gently caress this, gently caress everything

Fuuuuuuuuck noses.

I've been having a strong urge to work large-format, I miss sticking things to a wall and smearing charcoal and paint around the place. My flat being rented, I can't gently caress the walls up, so I decided I needed a drawing board. A big drawing board:

Anyway, back to 'gently caress noses':

It's... alright. Mostly I was just having fun playing with BIG again. :)

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
Someone made this cool website that gathers references of animal heads depending on which angle you rotate the skull, so I used it to made this melting deer head thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Trying out some more dynamic poses, kinda. Finding out that I have a tendency to draw torsos too long/legs too short.