Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

Kiawe and Lana seem like they'd be hype about competing in the league (although doesn't Lana only have the one, first stage pokemon [we're like 20-30ish episodes behind])

All the characters but Lillie have a 3rd stage Pokemon as of the most recent episode in Japan with the girls getting arm Pokemon replacements. I suspect Lillie is going to end up with a fully evolved ice or fairy Pokemon. Maybe Ribombee since that's her battle tree team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SuperKlaus posted:

Hey RatHat, check the Pokemon Trading Thread. I'm going to post a list of the things I have to see to complete my Hoenn Pokedex. You post a list too. Then we can figure out how to help each other get 100% seen and score Oval Charms. I will be at home and online in OR in a few hours.

I’ll help you complete yours but I only need Latios for mine.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Dehry posted:

All the characters but Lillie have a 3rd stage Pokemon as of the most recent episode in Japan with the girls getting arm Pokemon replacements. I suspect Lillie is going to end up with a fully evolved ice or fairy Pokemon. Maybe Ribombee since that's her battle tree team.

what's an arm pokemon, the one that hangs out with them outside the pokeball?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I just defeated a trainer named Teacher Hillary and received 1488 pokebucks, is the game trying to tell me something?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Farecoal posted:

I just defeated a trainer named Teacher Hillary and received 1488 pokebucks, is the game trying to tell me something?

IIRC trainer cash is based on a formula and not hardcoded, so that should just be a very unfortunate coincidence. Played a romhack where almost all of Norman's gym trainers had that total too and I'm really hoping the same applies :ohdear:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

mycelia posted:

IIRC trainer cash is based on a formula and not hardcoded, so that should just be a very unfortunate coincidence. Played a romhack where almost all of Norman's gym trainers had that total too and I'm really hoping the same applies :ohdear:

It's a romhack. What does your heart tell you?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Eh, Kiawe gets to use his and Sophocles actually battled with Metang in one episode. I feel like their Ride Pokemon would just fill and balance their teams for battle, the only one who would come out seemingly OP would be Mallow.

You mean Ash, right? He has the Garchomp.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Rudoku posted:

You mean Ash, right? He has the Garchomp.

Ash is the one who doesn't need to use a ride pokemon.

But it would be fun for him to be more OP than usual, yes.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Just saw Detective Pikachu if y'all have anything you want spoiled nows the time to ask.

If I had to sum it up though I'd give it C+ That and I do appreciate the detective angle they went with.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

In ORAS, do traded pokemon get boosted xp from Exp Share, or only from battles they actually participate in?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

100 degrees Calcium posted:

In ORAS, do traded pokemon get boosted xp from Exp Share, or only from battles they actually participate in?

Pretty sure if Exp share is on they get the same boost as the others.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I mean, do they get more xp than non-traded Pokemon when the xp comes from Exp Share?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Flopsy posted:

Just saw Detective Pikachu if y'all have anything you want spoiled nows the time to ask.

If I had to sum it up though I'd give it C+ That and I do appreciate the detective angle they went with.

What happened to the father?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 10, 2019

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

what's an arm pokemon, the one that hangs out with them outside the pokeball?

A small Pokemon the girls carry around like Togepi. Lana has Eevee to replace Poplio, Lillie has Snowy the Vulpix, and Mallow got a loving Shaymin to carry around after Bounsweet became a Tsareena. Can't have them not carrying around a cute pokemon.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I mean, do they get more xp than non-traded Pokemon when the xp comes from Exp Share?

If they're traded yes. Traded pokemon grow much faster than non traded.

RatHat posted:

What happened to the father?

Detective Pikachu was Harry all along. Mewtwo put his mind in his body to save his life. He comes back at the end.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 10, 2019

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Saw Detective Pikachu as well, a decentish 7/10.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Is it worth seeing just to look at the weird realistic Pokemon?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Maybe. Frankly, you get to see most of the pokemon in the trailers. There's a few they kept here and there, but I think there's only really one big set-piece sequence with a pokemon that hasn't been shown off at all.

Pikachu being funny is the biggest reason to see it.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I purposefully only watched the first trailer (because honestly, the whole slow leak of trailers that eventually show basically the whole movie is a problem with any hyped-up film), so hopefully that means a lot of really cool realistic Pokemon to see for the first time!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I honestly LOVED Detective Pickachu. It was funny, the Pokemon were animated beautifully, and I liked the goofy anime-esque plot.

I can totally see other people not enjoying it if they don't know about or aren't emotionally invested in the world of Pokemon, but I am so I just had a ton of fun and I'm hoping for another live action movie.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Just saw the movie. It was really drat good.

My only real complaint is the lack of Bug types other than Joltik. :argh:

Spoilers for the final act of the movie: I usually dislike the Ditto face meme, but the movie puts it to really good use and it's really unsettling seeing it in 'live action'.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 10, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Another question about the movie: Do any Pokémon kill people?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

RatHat posted:

Another question about the movie: Do any Pokémon kill people?

No, but some of them try really hard to.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Red's team is all level 80+?? How the gently caress did I beat this game as a kid

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
poo poo drat how the hell does anyone get Gold at the Battle Hall. 170 fuckin wins with a single Pokemon? I can't even be mad. That's so fuckin lofty that I can't even begin to expect that I can achieve it. Just got my streak stomped at 137, the level 10 Ghost was a tanky-rear end Spiritomb what nailed my Gallade to the wall. Never stood a chance. Thing's got no fuckin weaknesses in gen 4!
Okay, I can be a little mad. After this dick it was gonna be (mostly) smooth sailing. Cept for maybe Flying. I was saving Flying for last.

Also ^^^ You definitely gotta bring someone to stop the hail. Not only the attrition angle, but it turns his Blastoise and Lapras into real motherfuckers.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Farecoal posted:

Red's team is all level 80+?? How the gently caress did I beat this game as a kid

Grinding probably.

I beat it with a level 100 Spinarak once as a challenge run. And if you use X items you can easily set up on Pikachu and sweep with a Pokemon in the 50s.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mostly agreed on Detective Pikachu.

It was not anything outstanding as a movie- the plot didn't make much sense at the end and the dialogue was very stilted at times, especially whenever they tried to throw in some Pokemon game mechanics/lingo in very unnatural ways. And there is a very good reason the main girl is barely featured in any of the trailers, she is kind of embarassing and bad.

But it was fun as hell to watch, looked beautiful, and it perfectly captured the feeling of a world inhabited by Pokemon. It never felt like "our world + Pokemon." So I hope it does well so we can get more in-universe Pokemon movies. I adore the fact that they never explained what Pokemon were because everyone in this world would know, that is such a rarity in these kinds of films.

EDIT: I should emphasize the "at times" for the dialogue, I feel like Justice Smith and Ryan Reynolds were great overall and Bill Nighy can do no wrong, there were just some awkwardly written lines at times.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 10, 2019

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Mostly agreed on Detective Pikachu.

It was not anything outstanding as a movie- the plot didn't make much sense at the end and the dialogue was very stilted at times, especially whenever they tried to throw in some Pokemon game mechanics/lingo in very unnatural ways. And there is a very good reason the main girl is barely featured in any of the trailers, she is kind of embarassing and bad.

But it was fun as hell to watch, looked beautiful, and it perfectly captured the feeling of a world inhabited by Pokemon. It never felt like "our world + Pokemon." So I hope it does well so we can get more in-universe Pokemon movies. I adore the fact that they never explained what Pokemon were because everyone in this world would know, that is such a rarity in these kinds of films.

EDIT: I should emphasize the "at times" for the dialogue, I feel like Justice Smith and Ryan Reynolds were great overall and Bill Nighy can do no wrong, there were just some awkwardly written lines at times.

Agreed. What I had a hard time with though was the villains big evil plan at the end Like I get wanting Mewtwo's body for your own if you have a degenerative disease. Like go big or go home right? But why the gently caress was he suddenly like: OKAY NOW ALL OF YOU DO THIS THING WITH ME I feel like it would've been SO much stronger if it was simply the first thing and not the second. Also ditto was more terrifying than Mr. Mime a thousandfold.

Edit: Loved how that big weirdo with the charizard tattoo despite all appearances actually loving ADORED his pokemon and got super pissed when Tim laid hands on him.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 10, 2019

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
I accidentally clicked on the first spoiler but it's the most predictable "twist" they could've gone with for that anyway so w/e

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Also that evil Ditto owned is guaranteed gonna give kids nightmares

Like I was a bit slow on the uptake and didn't clue in that the son was always in shades cause he got replaced with Ditto and had like a second to process that before the eyes got shown auughhh

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 10, 2019

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

ItBreathes posted:

Is it worth seeing just to look at the weird realistic Pokemon?

No. It’s humor, heart, and Pokémon in equal measure. It’s everything the trailer offers, no more, no less.

It was fun.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

Also that evil Ditto owned is guaranteed gonna give kids nightmares

Like I was a bit slow on the uptake and didn't clue in that the son was always in shades cause he got replaced with Ditto and had like a second to process that before the eyes got shown auughhh

That loving thing knew how to text and manipulate equipment in a facility. It was downright horrific how competent it was, not to mention you usually don't think of a ditto as being downright bloodthirsty but holy poo poo

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Not sure how anyone is supposed to figure out Regigigas' unlock conditions in ORAS without a guide. There's a girl that tells you Regigigas is coming to see Regiice, that's literally the only clue you get. I can see guessing that you need all 3 Regis in your party but how are you supposed to know to nickname Regiice, make it hold something cold, and that it needs to be in the daytime?

I think this is more obtuse than evolving Malamar.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

Not sure how anyone is supposed to figure out Regigigas' unlock conditions in ORAS without a guide. There's a girl that tells you Regigigas is coming to see Regiice, that's literally the only clue you get. I can see guessing that you need all 3 Regis in your party but how are you supposed to know to nickname Regiice, make it hold something cold, and that it needs to be in the daytime?

Pretty sure the developers just wanted to gently caress with us at this point. I mean they have to be aware people are looking this stuff up.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

RatHat posted:

Aside from that, there aren't any hints. I don't even know how that even got found out in the first place. It's so ridiculously obtuse. Then again, the 3DS was cracked open at the time, so it could have just been data mined.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The entire joke with the Regis is that you have to do things that sound like playground rumors to unlock them, the stupider the better.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah but at least the game tells you what to do.

Speaking of which, does Japanese have their own braille alphabet or did they just use the English one?

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I like the presentation of Pokémon battles in Detective Pikachu.

Rather than trainers constantly yelling out commands, it's shown as much more dog-fighty, with the Pokémon apparently using their training to hold their own in the ring.

I'm a little annoyed that all of the Pokémon in the movie appear in the various trailers and promos. It becomes obvious about 30 minutes in that they've already used up all their models and just reuse them in background shots. Apparently everyone in Ryme City only have Sneasel, Arcanine, or Audino.

There's no attention paid to type advantages but that's probably a good thing.

Cute little movie! I really like it

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Flopsy posted:

That loving thing knew how to text and manipulate equipment in a facility. It was downright horrific how competent it was, not to mention you usually don't think of a ditto as being downright bloodthirsty but holy poo poo

Yeah like, that Ditto wasn't just following orders. It was totally on board with and enjoying it's job. One of the very few Pokemon outside the games and manga that is just kind of a jerk I guess. Ditto as a sort of narcissistic trickster and rear end in a top hat was a very good direction.

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I like the presentation of Pokémon battles in Detective Pikachu.

Rather than trainers constantly yelling out commands, it's shown as much more dog-fighty, with the Pokémon apparently using their training to hold their own in the ring.

I'm a little annoyed that all of the Pokémon in the movie appear in the various trailers and promos. It becomes obvious about 30 minutes in that they've already used up all their models and just reuse them in background shots. Apparently everyone in Ryme City only have Sneasel, Arcanine, or Audino.

There's no attention paid to type advantages but that's probably a good thing.

Cute little movie! I really like it

The lack of variety is an issue but it bugged me less cause so many of my favourites got in I guess. Also Mr Mime's scene was even better than the trailers and I now like Mr Mimes much more.

And yeah the only nod to type advantage I can think of is Charizard snapping out of it's R serum rage and just making GBS threads itself when Gyarados shows up. But also it's Gyarados.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I laughed so hard at Roger waxing on about how "Evolution let's you become your best self" over an Eevee, only for it to evolve into a Flareon..

Also, the Ditto transformed as a human was terrifying.