Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

Leveling up DNC and I'm starting to see why people like macros considering all the menus I have to click through to get to my sambas and waltzes.

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ibblebibble posted:

Leveling up DNC and I'm starting to see why people like macros considering all the menus I have to click through to get to my sambas and waltzes.

There is also a bunch of gear that will augment job abilities or buff weaponskills, etc. so creating an equipment set for that ja/ws and then creating a macro that switches to that equipment set before using that ja/ws is also really helpful.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
Someone called Amelila is making HD textures for FFXI. I just installed the ones he has done and the zones and models that are finished look so much better now. The reshader it comes with works well too once you get the settings you like. You can find all the info on how to install it on the guys Youtube page. Download the megapack and then he has added new textures in the videos that come after it. Installing it is just a simple file replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNm8ftcl940

Just look at Valkurm Dunes HD textures. It isn't a bright white hot mess that hurts my eyes anymore!

Necrosaro fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 2, 2019

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Be careful with some of those, the guy doesn't do a very good job of file compression so some of the small details in their mods have outrageous file size for what it's being used for and bring the game to it's knees.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

I'm Zegreiart on Asura. Alternatively, if any goons want to run around together for something add me on discord: Zeg?#8897

:dance:

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

Male of the Century posted:

Be careful with some of those, the guy doesn't do a very good job of file compression so some of the small details in their mods have outrageous file size for what it's being used for and bring the game to it's knees.

So far the only slowdown I've seen is in Mhaura when the zone is full of people and even then its only 20 to 30 fps loss.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Zeg posted:

I'm Zegreiart on Asura. Alternatively, if any goons want to run around together for something add me on discord: Zeg?#8897

:dance:
There is a goon channel

https://discord.gg/4kxqu5z

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 4, 2019

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
So I did my second A.M.A.N. Trove today (mars orb) and got a LOUD THUD after opening the second wooden chest. So I cashed out right away and got a Shamash Robe! I main as a white mage so should be using it over my Theophany briault +1, right? I can't see that the loss of the +7% cure potency and +17 Enfeebling skill is much compared to the new robes stats.

Necrosaro fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 5, 2019

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Necrosaro posted:

So I did my second A.M.A.N. Trove today (mars orb) and got a LOUD THUD after opening the second wooden chest. So I cashed out right away and got a Shamash Robe! I main as a white mage so should be using it over my Theophany briault +1, right? I can't see that the loss of the +7% cure potency and +17 Enfeebling skill is much compared to the new robes stats.

You'll use both depending on situation. The briault still gets used as a cure potency set. The shamash is your -Dt set and idle set if there's nothing that gives more then +3 refresh. But this is all delving into diff gear sets for different situations. I'm not sure if you play like that currently. If you don't then ya the shamash robe seems to be the better general wear robe.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I think I'm going to pick ffxi up again and drag my bf in with me. Great month to start again too since shantotto II is up for grabs. Going to also transfer to Asura since I'm on another dead server and my friends quit.

I've got the big bulk patch files to speed that process up already and I've kind of vaguely got a grasp on what I was doing when I quit, which was working on my Geo weapon casually and the story stuff.

Unfortunately I deleted my old install and windower and all my mods and such and I can't remember if there were any big recommendations to make the game look pretty and for important mods to run. Any suggestions for that? I also want to give my bf the best experience possible with ffxi so he'll hopefully stick around.

Also how's the goon presence at the moment? Would there be people for us to hang out with and harass for advice?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I tend to be on under Irongauntlet but I'm pretty new and need the advice myself :v:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tsurupettan posted:

I think I'm going to pick ffxi up again and drag my bf in with me. Great month to start again too since shantotto II is up for grabs. Going to also transfer to Asura since I'm on another dead server and my friends quit.

I've got the big bulk patch files to speed that process up already and I've kind of vaguely got a grasp on what I was doing when I quit, which was working on my Geo weapon casually and the story stuff.

Unfortunately I deleted my old install and windower and all my mods and such and I can't remember if there were any big recommendations to make the game look pretty and for important mods to run. Any suggestions for that? I also want to give my bf the best experience possible with ffxi so he'll hopefully stick around.

Also how's the goon presence at the moment? Would there be people for us to hang out with and harass for advice?

dgvoodoo can give you better framerates when you are using GPU drivers that no longer support DX8 (basically everything from the last 5+ years). It will also let you apply AA and AF since trying to apply them through something like the Nvidia control panel doesn't seem to work and setting the background resolution higher to get a supersampling effect is highly inefficient in this engine.

MountMuzzle mod is cool for letting you hear the zone music instead of mount music.

DrawDistance plugin can be used to increase draw distance.

Increasing mip mapping quality to 6 (the max) improves the looks for minimal performance hit. Has to be done through Windower or Ashita or editing your registry manually.

When using a controller, be sure to use the config that allows for XInput (I think Alternate Setup E?).

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
If you ever had a FFXI account with a character and still can find the info about the account then you can get FINAL FANTASY XI: Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition for FREE from Thursday, May 16, 2019, at 1:00 a.m. (PDT)
to Monday, May 27. Just follow these complicated instructions on this page after May 16th.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/campaign/wcb/

Necrosaro fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 10, 2019

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Necrosaro posted:

If you ever had a FFXI account with a character and still can find the info about the account then you can get FINAL FANTASY XI: Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition for FREE from Thursday, May 16, 2019, at 1:00 a.m. (PDT)
to Monday, May 27. Just follow these complicated instructions on this page after May 16th.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/campaign/wcb/

I’m confused by where it says you get it for free. I see a link to the Discount Campaign where the Ultimate Collection will be $10, what am I missing?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

join our discord, we can answer there, LS is only full of jamies bot army. You're better off joining a pubbie ls for additional help

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Pryce posted:

I’m confused by where it says you get it for free. I see a link to the Discount Campaign where the Ultimate Collection will be $10, what am I missing?
If you have an inactive account, they will activate it and you will play for free from the 16th to the 27th.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

LiquidFriend posted:

If you have an inactive account, they will activate it and you will play for free from the 16th to the 27th.

Oh, sorry, I read the post here as “you can have the game for free permanently.” Misunderstood!

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Not sure on how to get my controller to work. When I go to the setting to change what my controller does, none of the sticks actually send any commands at all. Anyone have anything to help me figure out how to get it to work?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Gotta run through a calibration to get it to pick up joystick movement.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Bahanahab posted:

Not sure on how to get my controller to work. When I go to the setting to change what my controller does, none of the sticks actually send any commands at all. Anyone have anything to help me figure out how to get it to work?

I think you may need XInput turned on. Try opening up the FF XI Config app and changing the gamepad settings there. I believe Alternate Setup E defaults to enabling XInput.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Oh wow, the new patch changed the appearance of the configuration app entirely.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSHnLtg7NKA

Welp, I have entirely too much time on my hands.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Kazy posted:

I never knew this was what I wanted in my life until I saw it

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
If you're looking to play it takes like 30 mins to get everything installed and patched up. Way quicker then the 6 hours it used to take.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
I think I've got it installed properly but I can't get past the PlayOnline login screen

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Apparition posted:

I think I've got it installed properly but I can't get past the PlayOnline login screen

the hardest battle in all of ffxi

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

Herewaard posted:

the hardest battle in all of ffxi

lmao how do I vanquish this beast?

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Did they actually change the installation and update progress, or did they just pile it all into one installer starting as of the most recent patch but updates moving forward are still through the same old system?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Male of the Century posted:

Did they actually change the installation and update progress, or did they just pile it all into one installer starting as of the most recent patch but updates moving forward are still through the same old system?

Iirc, all current updates are bundled in the installer. The patcher hasn't changed. New installs just don't have to download a year's worth of patches.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Apparition posted:

Give us more info and maybe we can help? Screenshot are always helpful.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Apparition posted:

I have a feeling it has to do with your playonline ID/Password which was what I first had an issue with.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kazy posted:

Amazing :allears: the music is just right

Omg its playable and has San'doria too wow

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Apparition posted:

The uninstaller

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

jokes posted:

I have a feeling it has to do with your playonline ID/Password which was what I first had an issue with.

Yeah, that poo poo is confusing.

You're like assigned an ID and password which are buried somewhere in the account management system, totally separate from your square enix user name and password.

edit: I wonder if they're going to ditch that stuff as part of their effort to smooth stuff out. I think they could also get rid of the POL internal email system, which is super weird, but I guess probably seemed cool if you were playing on PS2 and didn't have a computer.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

Kibner posted:

Give us more info and maybe we can help? Screenshot are always helpful.

Here's a screenshot, but it just says my playonline login or password is invalid. Yeah, fine, but I can't seem to find a website for playonline that would let me verify I'm using the correct credentials.

Edit: I have a SquareEnix account but it doesn't accept that login information either.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
It might be in an email somewhere, but otherwise, go to the account management system. If you look under your service options or whatever they call it, you'll see the ID, pointed out in cyan. (Mine starts with YQJ.) You can change the password if you hit the options button, and find another button to update your playonline password.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

Cool thanks so this is progress, do I need to buy the game again though? At this point its asking me for a registration code.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

For some reason my screenshots arent posting anymore but on my screen it looks like I don't have any service accounts, so when I try to add one it asks for a FFXI registration code. Do I need to buy the game again?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
OK, at the top right of the screenshot I posted, you'll see a button that says "Add a service account."

If you click on that, it should give you a place to enter a code. Then you can put in the main reg code for the game, and it'll apply it to your playonline ID. (You should have received a code when you bought the game.)

Their terminology is bad, and there are extra layers of complication, because you can have more than one playonline ID attached to your square enix ID, so when you register a product, you have to make sure it's being registered to the proper account.

You should also have codes for any expansions that you own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Did you have a really old FFXI account or something?